Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Anybody who thinks touch screens should be on any kind of critical system on a ship has never tried to steer one through a storm.

Also, night vision motherfuckers.

Anybody who thinks touch screens should be on any kind of critical system anywhere has apparently never tried to use a smartphone anywhere besides inside their home or office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We had a digital system on the Fridtjof Nansen (one of the sister ships of the ship that got a lovetap by an oil tanker and sunk because of spanish engineering and incompetent sailors)... but no touch screens. To switch control stations, there were clearly marked, back-lit pushbuttons that made it really obvious who was in control.

Incidentally, this system partially failed during/after the collision with the oil tanker, leading to the Helge Instad running aground under its own power (rudder and engine control reverted to the engine control room), and in my estimation that greatly accelerated the sinking of the ship :suicide:

There's a newly released PwC report about parts of the accident, but it's written by landlubbers so it's mostly useless as anything but a source for information to draw your own conclusions. I'm waiting for the second part of the AIBN report, then I'll write an effortpost about how hosed up shiphandling and damage control was post-lovetap.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
tactical_asshole_actual on Insta has some good ones.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

TBF the manufacturer has the sights mounted backwards on pictures on their website. http://www.kuntarms.net/#about

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im a fan of the acog mounted forward of the carrying handle on the m16 on t_a_a lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Casimir Radon posted:

My dumb troop who I talked about a while back started blabbing to me on drill about how he totally derailed bystander training, and the trainer guy didn't know what to do. He asked me if I'd seen Four Christmases, which I hadn't. Apparently there's some scene in it where a couple go into a bar and pretend to meet for the first time. So he's all "Yeah so we go to bars and pretend we don't know each other and start feeling each other up, and that's not really anyone else's business so they shouldn't be stepping in on that, and so bystander training is BS" He was really proud of himself.

i had a couple friends that i knew through two different social groups do something like that scenario as their way to tell me they were dating.

the troop is still an idiot, but my friends pulled a funny prank.

https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/status/1209680271441907712?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Craptacular posted:

TBF the manufacturer has the sights mounted backwards on pictures on their website. http://www.kuntarms.net/#about

“Kuntarms Kinte” would be a pro tier username on an AR forum.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Brute Squad posted:

i had a couple friends that i knew through two different social groups do something like that scenario as their way to tell me they were dating.

the troop is still an idiot, but my friends pulled a funny prank.

https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/status/1209680271441907712?s=20

Is that a "black eye" level inury or "cracked eye socket / jaw" level injury?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-r352j2FI

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

For true ballers only

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

McClusky, if I get one more complaint against you, you’re off the muffin top squad!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is that a "black eye" level inury or "cracked eye socket / jaw" level injury?

If it went lower he’d definitely have cracked some teeth.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Anybody who thinks touch screens should be on any kind of critical system anywhere has apparently never tried to use a smartphone anywhere besides inside their home or office.

If you're going to be influenced by sci fi, go BSG, not ST.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They both had robot-loving.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

They both had robot-loving.

Yeah but only one had Tricia Helfer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

Yeah but only one had Tricia Helfer.

Weird name for a robot.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Weird name for a robot.

I think they called that model the Caprica Six but fair enough lol.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The robot had a cool glowing spine when it did sex, and that made my dumb lizard brain happy.

Good enough for me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Viva Miriya posted:

I think they called that model the Caprica Six but fair enough lol.

If she’s a caprica 6 what’s a 10 like?!? :holymoley: :downsrim:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PathAsc posted:

The robot had a cool glowing spine when it did sex, and that made my dumb lizard brain happy.

Good enough for me

What? I'm forgetting poo poo then. What?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

priznat posted:

If she’s a caprica 6 what’s a 10 like?!? :holymoley: :downsrim:

A thermonuclear detonation.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Viva Miriya posted:

What? I'm forgetting poo poo then. What?

Episode 1

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Episode 1

Lmfao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PathAsc posted:

Episode 1

What, you mean you haven't hosed a woman so hard her spine started glowing?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Some people say that show got dumb near the end, but that wasn't true. It was always dumb.

I mean I still liked a lot of it but it was fairly obvious the show had no idea where it was going and was just throwing ideas out there to distract from that. Like invisible angelrobots and laying in a bathtub to calculate hyperspace jumps.

On topic, I too want a gun with sights that make it impossible to see what I am aiming at, that makes it all the cooler when I do manage to hit something (by pure chance).

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Some people say that show got dumb near the end, but that wasn't true. It was always dumb.

I mean I still liked a lot of it but it was fairly obvious the show had no idea where it was going and was just throwing ideas out there to distract from that. Like invisible angelrobots and laying in a bathtub to calculate hyperspace jumps.

On topic, I too want a gun with sights that make it impossible to see what I am aiming at, that makes it all the cooler when I do manage to hit something (by pure chance).

It was a scifi soap opera and it was awesome.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

It was a scifi soap opera and it was awesome.

That said I fell off around the time they got to new caprica. So imma need to do a rewatch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
33 was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Anybody else watch the sort of prequel spinoff, Caprica? I liked it, despite the fact that it was very different in tone and probably not as good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The thing to remember about season 4 of BSG is that it got hosed hard by the writers' strike and they weren't even sure they'd get to do a full season. That's why there's the Earth thing halfway through, by which time they had killed off a bunch of plot arcs that were supposed to last the whole season. Then they got a full season and had to slap it all together.

I'm not saying the original plan for season 4 would've been better, but it would've probably been more coherent.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I thoroughly enjoyed failson getting fat as hell in the one season and sweating profusely every episode like he was going to have a heart attack any second

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Maybe Lowtax could use that glowing spine.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Memento posted:

BSG owned

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Spine problems at an unusually young age?

gently caress, I had no idea Lowtax was a Gipper.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

and what appears to be a messy divorce.

Our soon-to-be robotic overlord just can’t catch a break :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Memento posted:

33 is excellent, and there was some good stuff while they were on New Caprica, too. It was pretty grim at times. I never saw any of the spinoffs, but they're not so fondly remembered.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

His life the past couple of years has been a string of "What the gently caress?!?" moments.

Did he actually get his daughter back? Last I heard the wife/kidnapper was hiding out in a women's shelter.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't think he's even gotten a lawyer yet because he also found out his mom has cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilmiera posted:

There's dumb, then there's all along the watchtowers dumb.