Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I am really confused about what "menhera" is supposed to be and/or mean.
It was the name of 2ch's mental health board, basically their e/n equivalent. Due to how commonly it was used online, it spread out as shorthand for art that reflected this theme.

For fashion, fashion that is meant to be both cute and slightly morbid. Drug, skeleton, blood, and corpse energy, bandages, that sort of thing. It's a subculture that's born out of Japanese street fashion, meant to be attention grabbing and shocking, but it's also a form of artistic self-expression in a country that has both very high suicide rates and a public stigma on talking about mental health or mental illness. By pairing imagery that hints at suicide or self-harm with cute pink fashion, the person is able to both create something that jars the viewer and opens up reflection on that stuff while also still appearing fashionable and cute. However, as the subculture gained popularity, a lot of the edge was taken off and obviously people just did it because it was a popular fashion trend instead of because it spoke to something they felt. However, it's still mostly a niche fashion subculture, so that isn't that prominent an issue.

For art, similar. A theme of 'cuteness that got corrupted by sickness,' often trying to present a cute character's internal struggle visually.

Put together, both these trends are primarily about showing that something cute or normal looking on the outside can be ugly or weird on the inside, which is obviously something that people, especially women, might feel deeply. In addition, as a community that obviously implies through their art (either literal artwork or fashion) that they have struggled with these feelings, the subculture by definition feels like a sort of safe space for discussing these issues, which are often repressed in society. Of course, there are some people who just co-opt it because it looks cute, but many people in the community still find it powerful. Likewise, as the term gained a derisive edge on 2ch and thus the wider JP internet (dismissing people who posted on 2ch's mental health board as attention whores, hopeless, etc) as well as curiosity articles in fashion magazines and such when the fashion movement was first growing that were very dismissive of the culture, it gained an edge of 'coopting an insult,' which made it feel further counter cultural.

Hope this helps!

This blog has a few bigger articles about it in the sidebar.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That is a solid loving post, Endorph.
Too often these niche subculture things go unexplored and I wasn't really aware of this one, but now I've got a whole tab explosion going because of you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

lol what did he do? i love dumb starwars drama trivia
Phoneposting so don't have links at the ready and such and apologies if this is a goddamn wall-o-text to all the phone-only-goons :ohdear:, but while he's not the "Noel Gallagher of soundtracks" or anything of that sort, for someone who studied music and had to listen to tons of work it's still pretty goddamn obvious dude is a massive plagiarist. Like for the main Star Wars theme alone he carved three or four old-timey shows soundtracks like turkeys and stitched them back together. Pretty certain that the Jaws theme is also lifted partially from one of Dvorak operas.

And while I know that's like "Eh, big deal, all artists steal" (which is mostly true), but like Hans Zimmer has admitted it. Kurt Cobain admitted that "Smells Like Teen Spirit..." is basically "More than a feeling" and like 3 Pixies songs smashed together (also Kathleen Hanna teasing Kurt and her bandmate Tobi Vail :3:); hell, Noel fookin' Gallagher has never been shy about his riff thievery and even credited Stevie goddamn Wonder for one of the Oasis songs he blatantly stole riffs from. Like even Maná (Mexican band) has sorta copped to all the Police/Sting thievery of their first few records. And that's fine.

That gladiator piece of Zimmer? Great inspiration material. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? One of the first goddamn songs I've learned to play properly and got paid for while busking, along with Jawbreaker's "Boxcar", Fugazi's "Song #1" and "Merchandise". "Step Out"? Probably one of the better Noel-sung songs Oasis has.

So cop to it, ya' old fart.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
john williams stole music for star wars and he gets celebrated as a genius, while the composer of dragon ball z budokai 3 stole half of his music from journey and the world chose to purge his music from the rerelease of the game. hosed up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

john williams stole music for star wars and he gets celebrated as a genius, while the composer of dragon ball z budokai 3 stole half of his music from journey and the world chose to purge his music from the rerelease of the game. hosed up
budokai 3's music is better too

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
look John Williams may love to "borrow" from the Romantic period and 20th century Classical artists: Dvorak, Schumann, Strauss, Stravinsky, Holst, etc., but also if it's not literally 1:1 the exact same pitches used at the same timing then it's definitely not stealing and furthermore how dare you

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

It was the name of 2ch's mental health board, basically their e/n equivalent. Due to how commonly it was used online, it spread out as shorthand for art that reflected this theme.

This is fascinating, by the way. Thank you for the informative post.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

budokai 3's music is better too
Was the stuff from the SNES Butouden games era also purged? I really like some of those jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALkgl7DIm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N53YYDJpMY

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 30, 2019

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I feel like matrix had a bigger effect on culture than star wars did but it as the direct influence has faded faster.

thinkings....

idk if id agree because jaws and star wars are generally credited as basically creating the Summer Blockbuster hollywood model

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hogama posted:

look John Williams may love to "borrow" from the Romantic period and 20th century Classical artists: Dvorak, Schumann, Strauss, Stravinsky, Holst, etc., but also if it's not literally 1:1 the exact same pitches used at the same timing then it's definitely not stealing and furthermore how dare you
Like I legit like/care about some of Mark Hamill's work as a voice actor (Fire Lord Ozai, Majima, the Joker, etc) more than any of the turns he had at playing Luke Skywalker or anything tangentially related to Star Wars (maybe with the exception of The Hidden Fortress, I guess? Great loving movie); it's just a funny story from way back in the 90's/my music school days about how one of my teachers talked about plagiarism in music and how creators should just be honest about where their body of work comes from.

My sincere apologies, Hogama.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RME posted:

idk if id agree because jaws and star wars are generally credited as basically creating the Summer Blockbuster hollywood model

you're generally credited for being about to get a kick with a big boot, from me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

violence for namtab, kicks with boot for others

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

you're generally credited for being about to get a kick with a big boot, from me

Let's indiscriminately gently caress up this thread's posters with armbars and headkicks.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Let's indiscriminately gently caress up this thread's posters with armbars and headkicks.

This tag team is unstoppable and all of adtrw will remember when we came for them by the end of tonight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*doing that thing where you wave your hands around to draw boos from the crowd*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is not tekken tag tournament two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I assure you no woman remembers when you came

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

I assure you no woman remembers when you came

this is how the feud is going to start endorph, and it wont end until i have your title

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Phoneposting so don't have links at the ready and such

that's fine and also lol figures. also yeah, idgaf about people lifting poo poo, hell one of my favourite things is dumb covers of songs.

just be upfront about it it's fine, there's only 12 notes per octave, there's 99% chance whatever you're doing has been done before anyway :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

stealing peoples avs in a weird forum contest thing sounds fun but I guarantee it would destroy the gum and tape code of sa somehow

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Laughing at the idea of a guy being bothered that some women doesn't remember when he came. Bitch it was 10:32 how could you forget

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

stealing peoples avs in a weird forum contest thing sounds fun but I guarantee it would destroy the gum and tape code of sa somehow

You can only lose in that contest because you have the best Lum

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Im very fond of it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Laughing at the idea of a guy being bothered that some women doesn't remember when he came. Bitch it was 10:32 how could you forget

an Ebeneezer Scrooge type meticulously recording exact time of orgasm in a massive 30 pound logbook, never removed from its place on a worn and antique oak desk, but theres only 3 entries.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

an Ebeneezer Scrooge type meticulously recording exact time of orgasm in a massive 30 pound logbook, never removed from its place on a worn and antique oak desk, but theres only 3 entries.

Lmao. Writing my cum log but it just ends up being Spongebobs essay.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

lmfao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I feel like sword art online had a bigger effect on culture than urusei yatsura did but it as the direct influence has faded faster.

thinkings....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

K. Flaps posted:

Oh my god. :cawg:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I feel like sword art online had a bigger effect on culture than urusei yatsura did but it as the direct influence has faded faster.

thinkings....

i'm going to call rumiko right now and shes going to fly over and piledrive you through a coffee table.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sharkopath posted:

i'm going to call rumiko right now and shes going to fly over and piledrive you through a coffee table.

Jokes on you, that's my #1 fetish.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sword arts a super influential web and light novel but the zeitgeist moves so fast for those in our current times that its not even really thought about as being an influence anymore and that whole subgenre of other world fantasy bears little resemblance to it now, the genre is defined and shaped by work that came later and evolves at a really rapid pace because its a bit incestuous and is always on the lookout for the next big thing, smashing ideas together like a horrible doctor frankenstein and sending them out to thrive or die at a clip thats hard to follow.

Rumiko stuff is rumiko stuff and the influence is still felt everytime somebody posts about a new light harem series thats really good this time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Being the Isekai Doctor Frankenstein Foreman would be fun though, just trying silly things out to see what is strong enough to make it to an animated adaption.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Marlon Brando in the island of doctor moreau but instead of a half-woman half cat coming over to bring him a bucket of ice for a hat she's Half Villainess, Half Construction Worker In Previous Life.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
code:

,---------------------------------.
       (  Escaflowne was the best isekai!  )
        `------------------------,--------'
          _____________/__________
        /'            /           `\
       /  ,ssssssssssosssssssssss.  \
      /  dSSSSSSSSSS/|\SSSSSSSSSSSb  \
     /  dSSP'   p   / \   q    `?SSb  \
    /  dSSP    /V\       /V\     ?SSb  \
   /  dSSP     /"\       /"\      ?SSb  \
  /  dSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssSSSb  \
 /  dSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSb  \
/                                          \
`-------------------------------------------'

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 30, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rayearth u fukkin nub.

Speaking of Cum can we appreciate the girl in Shimoneta that keeps trying to get the dude to drink her... uh... ambrosia of excitement?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Best Boomer-style Isekai is clearly Rayearth, best Zoomer-style Isekai is clearly and obviously Konosuba

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FilthyImp posted:

Rayearth u fukkin nub.

Speaking of Cum can we appreciate the girl in Shimoneta that keeps trying to get the dude to drink her... uh... ambrosia of excitement?

:rip: her va

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But which one has the better OP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhcChdCAUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5-mKT23_U

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

waiting patiently for the big now and then here and there fan to log on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysCiL1-24w