Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
at last i can frolic once more among the untamed beards of my memories, like seaweed on the tide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm so happy. i love bakshi. i love how badly he hosed up and he still made a profit. he took so many drugs, that crazy little man

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

poo poo, I may need to buy Bakshi's LotR on DVD. That terrible film, and a snarky review of it I read online at a formative point in my early adolescence, was a weird teenage meme for me for way too long

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Only Bakshi could have made Wizards, which I only know the ending of.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baby Sonic!

https://twitter.com/cybrid101/status/1210340331994189824

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

imagine baby sonic, but it’s the baby version of the old design

:allears: it’s beautiful

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

PenguinKnight posted:

imagine baby sonic, but it’s the baby version of the old design

:allears: it’s beautiful

We already have that, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tebBj42fC3k

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw Cats; it was weird and ok

I liked a lot of the visual design but it was so far from finished

Rebel Wilson was awwwwful, but J Hudz and the new girl playing the white cat were good

The dancing was great :3 everyone moved very much like cats

The directing choices were bizarre. Like a whole song sung to us, the audience, down the camera, by a cheeky smiling Judi Dench

And the Mister Mistoffalees scene was turned from a delightful spectacle into a weird kinda dramatic song where they’re helping him believe in himself

Rebel Wilson does so much vore

I give it 2/4

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched Klaus with my wife and my son during x-mas.

I liked it. It's gorgeous to look at and I was amused by how slowly bits and pieces of the Santa mythos are introduced accidentally.
It somehow also reminded me of earlier Disney movies with how dark it started and how the movie ended with a scary chase. It was enough to scare my son shitless.
It also somehow managed to not feel very Christmassy, but it did seem to double down kn the message of the importance of family either through birth or otherwise. :unsmith:
If anything it feels like this movie needed like an extra 10 minutes to get a little more in depth in certain things like the village. Both my son and my wife were left a little confused by it.
The subtle message about how not all tradition is worth keeping also made me chuckle :)

I give it a thumbs up

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Klaus: I give this 5/5 because it's a Renaissance Disney but with no musical numbers or irritating comic relief characters. Very sincere and heartwarming.

Cats: 2/5 for amusement value. Will baffle viewers for years to come. All the cast give it their all except Rebel Wilson. If she fell into a wide-enough crevasse nobody would miss her.

Spies in Disguise: 3/5 surprisingly not terrible. Will Smith spends half the movie as a pigeon instead of all of it so progress. Straightforward spy thriller with wacky pratfalls, and a message for pacifism of all things. Miles better than the midlife crisis packaged as a kids movie called Toy Story 4.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I might go see Spies in Disguise today. Looks cute!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Klaus: I give this 5/5 because it's a Renaissance Disney but with no musical numbers or irritating comic relief characters. Very sincere and heartwarming.

Cats: 2/5 for amusement value. Will baffle viewers for years to come. All the cast give it their all except Rebel Wilson. If she fell into a wide-enough crevasse nobody would miss her.

Spies in Disguise: 3/5 surprisingly not terrible. Will Smith spends half the movie as a pigeon instead of all of it so progress. Straightforward spy thriller with wacky pratfalls, and a message for pacifism of all things. Miles better than the midlife crisis packaged as a kids movie called Toy Story 4.

You just sold me more on the Will Smith pigeon movie than any of the trailers did.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i did it, i have requested a deluxe boxed edition of bakshi's lotr delivered to my door for the cost of a forums unban, i got a weird sense as i ordered that i was the first to have done so in a very, very long time

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fauna posted:

i did it, i have requested a deluxe boxed edition of bakshi's lotr delivered to my door for the cost of a forums unban, i got a weird sense as i ordered that i was the first to have done so in a very, very long time

Finally, invisible giant cow milking action on a 4k television

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Finally, invisible giant cow milking action on a 4k television
i'm so excited

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i love capitalism!!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd argue that it's the spiritual successor to Emperor's New Groove.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aren't basically all the Toy Story movies about a midlife crisis tho

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The first is about the FNG disrupting your setup.

The fourth is about being an empty-nester and having the personal courage to start exploring your interests.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went hunting vinyl hunting today and came across the Bakshi LoTR soundtracks.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EH00TU27Ok

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Buzz/Woody dynamic in the first movie isn't something I've ever dealt with in my adult life, but I think it felt very relatable to me as as a kid. In general, the characters in that film are acting much more like petty children. I think Jessie's fear of abandonment and Pete's need to be cherished no matter what are also pretty kid friendly despite how universal they are.

3 is very adult oriented, but a lot of that is the original audience being at least eighteen years old upon release. But I think even with 3, you're dealing with relatable issues about bullies and stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The toys acting childish makes sense given they spend most of their time with literal children.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Buzz/Woody dynamic in the first movie isn't something I've ever dealt with in my adult life, but I think it felt very relatable to me as as a kid.
That's true. It's very "I had a niche/friendship, but not something changed and it seems like someone else is in that role so wtf do I do?!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Toy Story movies are about a man coming to terms with the loss of his privileges, one by one. First the position of authority that being the favorite affords him, then the protection he enjoys due to his age and rarity, after that the stability of a loving home, and finally the security and respect that comes from being needed. Each of these trials he overcomes by reevaluating and renewing his devotion to his calling as a toy, and to children, either in the specific or the general.

It is always his ego, his sense of self-importance, that is the source of his pain, and he heals by becoming more selfless, asking what is best for the children, instead of what's best for him. After the most recent one, he's a sort of a ragdoll bodhisattva, giving to another the irreplaceable voice box that lets him communicate with kids, and rejecting the bliss of being played with in favor of giving aid and wisdom to the forsaken toys of the world.

Simply put, these movies extol the service and glorification of God.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Toy Story movies are about a man coming to terms with the loss of his privileges, one by one. First the position of authority that being the favorite affords him, then the protection he enjoys due to his age and rarity, after that the stability of a loving home, and finally the security and respect that comes from being needed. Each of these trials he overcomes by reevaluating and renewing his devotion to his calling as a toy, and to children, either in the specific or the general.

It is always his ego, his sense of self-importance, that is the source of his pain, and he heals by becoming more selfless, asking what is best for the children, instead of what's best for him. After the most recent one, he's a sort of a ragdoll bodhisattva, giving to another the irreplaceable voice box that lets him communicate with kids, and rejecting the bliss of being played with in favor of giving aid and wisdom to the forsaken toys of the world.

Simply put, these movies extol the service and glorification of God.

I kind of like that it's not being no longer the favourite that bugs him in the fourth movie, it's no longer being included at all. He's fine letting Jessie borrow his accessories, it makes sense that Bonnie would identify with her more, it's just getting tossed back in the closet and left to collect dust unseen that hurts him. At least Andy had a toybox.

Also I have a counterargument to Jenny Nicholson's Finding Dory thoughts - I always saw her memory lapses as being partially related to stress, so they get worse as she gets freaked out or frustrated but when she can focus and stop panicking they stop being quite as severe. Also I liked that Nemo's entire role in that plot was giving Marlin poo poo for being garbage. Whenever Marlin got whiny about their journey getting hard, Nemo just interjected with "We're only having to be here because you were really lovely to Dory for no reason so pull your head out of your cloaca and get it done!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 29, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spies in Disguise is like if someone watched Skyfall and was like, "hey, what if we made a good movie?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's my very positive review of SiD, my surprise pick of the year. Definitely written by someone who Genuinely Loves Pigeons. Biggest surprise was the number of cloaca jokes. More than a normal amount

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Surprises/things on my mind (all spoilers, don't read this, go to the movie instead):

- He's not a pigeon for as much of the runtime as I would have expected.

- Will Smith does a loving funny line delivery. That guy is funny as hell.

- A little busy at the end but tightly-scripted overall, and I feel they were committed to an action setpiece conclusion. It's just expected, and morons would complain if it weren't there. That said, I kind of got the impression that in the original version, Mr Robot Hand was initially a civilian. I think the movie already goes pretty loving hard though and that would have been unpalatable tooooo

- The people who are going to be REALLY surprised at how anti-military/covert-ops it is, even if they were forced into an ending where they don't completely destroy the agency. This film feels, at times, to be an intentional stab at Skyfall, in part by doing what Skyfall pretended it was doing, only correctly and with aptitude.

- Smart move to have the cool "credits" sequence be the opening sequence, I haven't seen that.

- It's got a lot of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs flavor/sensibility but I think it made every point better than Cloudy did with a similar arc for Walter.

- Expected the buddy-pigeons to talk and they don't! Bit of a surprise, like Smallfoot's choice to have the Yetis not speak English.

- People DEFINITELY die in this film, and Will Smith's character, at times, has DEFINITELY killed people and this is made more or less explicit. There's a lot of focus on the unnecessary collateral damage of the action setpieces, which I think they weren't allowed to focus on quite as much as they wanted to, but it makes its point very clear in that respect.

- Bold choice to have one of the twists be that Will Smith was turned into a girl pigeon and I think they're going to be getting angry letters about that. They did the "ha ha he's squeezed and lays an egg!" joke but then it's made relevant. Pretty surprising.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, ACTUALLY, the weirdest thing about Spies in Disguise, in retrospect, is that there is no romance plot of any kind. In fact, I don't think... anyone in that entire universe appears to be in a romantic situation? The household in a childhood flashback is a single-parent household with no partner ever referenced. Even the bad guy lacks the usual elbow-babe. No references to anyone dating or being married that I can recall (e.g. Joyless has no wedding ring), no one gets in a relationship, and romantic relationships almost don't appear to exist? I mean, that's a huge relief, where normally that kind of thing is so obnoxiously mandatory, but the film was like... no? Not really? A pigeon hits on another pigeon and that's it. That's the extent of it.

Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwwM3MixzMQ

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 30, 2019

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pick posted:

Spies in Disguise is like if someone watched Skyfall and was like, "hey, what if we made a good movie?"

I was just meaning to ask about that. After seeing the first trailer, its not-too-shabby Rotten Tomatoes score seemed like nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cockmaster posted:

I was just meaning to ask about that. After seeing the first trailer, its not-too-shabby Rotten Tomatoes score seemed like nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

The only way you can make a good movie any more is if nobody's watching you do it.

e: Also a lot of people complained about how he'd be a pigeon the entire movie, and actually he's... not? I'll be curious to break it down once it's out on bluray but I think he's a human more than he's a pigeon. The thrust of the film is idealism v. "pragmatism" in U.S. military intervention abroad. yes really.

Here's a stripped down version of the plot. Only for fence-sitting jerks: Walter, the orange-haired guy, is shown as a child wanting to develop altruistic technologies. His single mother, a police officer, is shown to support his efforts to make the world a better place, but she is murdered on the job. Go forward 10 years or something and Walter is working at the CIA-standin, trying to develop non-lethal technologies for its work. Lance, a superspy, is loving pissed that his equipment doesn't kill people any more and gets Walter fired. Lance is then framed by the villain for having stolen weapons tech from the CIA (an autonomous assassination drone that is explicitly the CIA's invention for their use) and has to escape, and goes to Walter, who has the cutting-edge pigeonization technology. As Lance is being chased by the CIA, and its agent Marcy, he needs to be able to move around undetected as he attempts to clear his name, hence pigeonization. Okay, at this point, I'm not going to tell you any more about what happens. Ha ha ha suckers. But yes, the CIA is trying to get its own killbot back, which is for killing. No one else is allowed to have our killbots. Now thankfully, the film is not pro-killbot, but I legitimately wonder if some of the bad reviews the film got were from people who were. (Pro-killbot, that is.)

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 30, 2019

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/AryTheDoggo/status/1211634750164738049?s=19

https://twitter.com/out_sall/status/1211474824335429638?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bummer ☹️

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, we're coming up on the very end of the decade, with no more animated releases. Everybody post their top animated film for the year for the past decade!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zootopia is probably my favorite, though I have some friends who are so virulently against it that I've been kind of sheepish about that fact lately (no puns intended).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna go with Rango.

Or Redline.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Shadow Hog posted:

Zootopia is probably my favorite, though I have some friends who are so virulently against it that I've been kind of sheepish about that fact lately (no puns intended).

Care to elaborate? A guy I knew had similar complaints about race and police about it, but I don't have the link.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nah like

2010: Tangled
2011: Rango
2012: ParaNorman
2013: Tale of Princess Kaguya
2014: When Marnie Was There
2015: Anomalisa
2016: Trolls (*weak year iirc)
2017: LEGO Batman
2018: Spider-verse
2019: Spies in Disguise (*v weak year)

I'm forgetting some and may revise, this is pretty off the cuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

I agree with Zootopia. I certainly had the most fun watching it theaters and continue to enjoy it from time to time as background. The characters are fun and the technical work that went everything from the fur to the city designs is nothing short of incredible. As an English teacher in a rural, poor district, I also appreciate how many times it strangely comes up in my classes. It is not often still, but always from the oddest places and that has stuck with me.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is still one of my favorite films of this decade. I know the first one is the better movie, but I have so much drat fun watching the sequel. This is basically a perfect intersection with me though as funny animals fighting with kung-fu with top-notch voice acting and visuals is basically a monkey's paw wish for me. Shen is a great villain. Shame about the Furious 5 getting sidelined all the time tho. I adore every fight sequence in this movie and find new things to appreciate about them on re-watches.

Ernest & Celestine is my last pick and its a shame its not more mainstream. I love the water color look and there is a ton of beautiful sequences that use it to great effect. The story is serviceable and the characters are cute together, and Forest Whittaker is a wonderfully grumpy bear. The ending wraps up the theme nicely and has some really gorgeous color work at its climax. I just think its just one of those wonderfully wholesome movies that is good to enjoy from time to time.

edit: lol whoops. Oh well, I may change it later tonight.