Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Kylaer posted:

That's why you have cherubs swarming around statues' feet and whatnot, to give more material to support the upper part of the statue. And marble is strong enough to support statues with upraised arms so I think it could manage.

Besides, there's always bronze, which was another popular statue material (but bronze statues are much less likely to survive to the modern day since the bronze was easily melted down into something useful, unlike marble).

Like being burned to produce the very useful lime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kurt_loder/status/1211803798219431937

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

what’s more shocking than the reveal of the release date is that kurt loving loder is still alive

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
You know, it's kind of peculiar, GRRM looks old as gently caress but he's looked old as gently caress for like 10 years now, and hasn't noticeably changed :thunk:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kylaer posted:

You know, it's kind of peculiar, GRRM looks old as gently caress but he's looked old as gently caress for like 10 years now, and hasn't noticeably changed :thunk:

The Winds manuscript is ageing for him, which is why it can never be released to the public

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The manuscript of Dorian Gurm.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s had them all written but they’re his phylactery. He ate them to preserve them and now the fans will have to kill him to harvest the books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We shall reap our endings from his fertile fields of flesh!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait for GRRM to deny this on his blog tomorrow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Witcher show was definitely pretty jank but it's also better than basically any of the not book based GoT seasons I'd argue. I'm aware that's a low bar and a back handed.compliment.

The time jumping around was definitely confusing if you know nothing about the Witcher at all, and could probably have been fixed by having the year pop up but eh, I'm a internet loser and not a dude making TV shows for more money in a year than I'll earn this decade so what the gently caress do I know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Witcher show was definitely pretty jank but it's also better than basically any of the not book based GoT seasons I'd argue. I'm aware that's a low bar and a back handed.compliment.

The time jumping around was definitely confusing if you know nothing about the Witcher at all, and could probably have been fixed by having the year pop up but eh, I'm a internet loser and not a dude making TV shows for more money in a year than I'll earn this decade so what the gently caress do I know.

I didn't know loving poo poo about The Witcher and I got it easily enough. I thought it was pretty clever, honestly. You think the show is taking place at the same time, then episode 4 reveals where Geralt's story is in the timeline, then episode 5 reveals where Yennifer's story is/was, so then episodes 7 and 8 are super loving tense as you know they've both finally caught up to Criri's timeline and you're just waiting for the exact moment the season ends on and it really lands it.

I've talked to a few people now about it and the common consensus is that the jank of it is part of the charm.

Super loving stoked to see how this catastrophically disappoints me in 10 years with its own cartwheeling trainwreck ending as is the trend now with things.

E: I mean 3 years. Its Netflix, they kill beloved cashcow shows like McDonald's kills actual cows.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 2, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

E: I mean 3 years. Its Netflix, they kill beloved cashcow shows like McDonald's kills actual cows.

aww, its cute you think McDonald's uses real cows.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As a dude whose read the books/played the games, it wasn't until about episode 3 or 4 where I noticed the time lines jumping around, but the show does drop tons of hints and the hints get heavier each episode. I liked that approach instead of date stamps, since it rewards paying attention to the show.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

looooool

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I sort of want it to be true just so everyone can see how little anyone gives a poo poo about the books now that the TV show is dead and gone and everyone who read the books is pissed off.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He said July 2020 is the desired date, I can’t wait for the disappointment. He’s either going to miss another deadline, or the book comes out and nobody gives a poo poo because the “differences between the show and the book” lists will immediately go up, negating the need to sit through thousands of pages of filler.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still like the books and do hope book 6 comes out as advertised there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ll probably pick it up about six months after it comes out, when it’s going for five bucks at the used bookstore near my house.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Last year, GRRM said if if it wasn't finished by the middle of 2020 that he'd be imprisoned in a cabin in New Zealand

So he's going to break 2 promises

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

Really? I mean they're effectively not written by the same person. Spending 25 years between books means you've had a world of different experiences and thoughts... they don't really read like the same writer even to me. I can see liking the first 3, or liking the last 2, but having a uniform feelings about the whole series is beyond me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

Really? I mean they're effectively not written by the same person. Spending 25 years between books means you've had a world of different experiences and thoughts... they don't really read like the same writer even to me. I can see liking the first 3, or liking the last 2, but having a uniform feelings about the whole series is beyond me.

I don't really feel that way. They're just books written by a dude. The first three have a lot more impact, but I loved a lot of the slower moments especially in books 4 and 5.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chaosapiant posted:

:same:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I like the books too but I am also very doubtful they will ever come out. Perhaps Winds of Winter pt 1 the first 250 pages, with previously released material, + 2 new chapters. I can see that happening.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

This is a really weird take. The books are all quite good, and the series will be regarded as one of the greatest fantasy series of all times. Just because you're bitter the books took forever to come out doesn't mean they aren't good.

If Winds does ever come out I'm sure it will be great. 7th book ain't happening tho

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 2, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

This is a really weird take. The books are all quite good, and the series will be regarded as one of the greatest fantasy series of all times. Just because you're bitter the books took forever to come out doesn't mean they aren't good.

If Winds does ever come out I'm sure it will be great. 7th book ain't happening tho

3 out of the 7 are good.
2 out of the 7 are not good.
2 out of the 7 do not exist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

3 out of the 7 are good.

Actually all five books are good.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

3 out of the 7 are good.

Why do you have 6 pages of posts in a thread about a book series you don't even like?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me 1 is good, 2 and 3 are decent.

4 and 5 are terrible boring slogs, and for me is pretty clear that GRRM was struggling hard to get the story going, so instead it dispersed it on dozens of parallel plots that were lame and uninteresting and stupid filler like Tyrion endless boat trips

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Dance with Dragons is the best book in the series don't @ me

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Feast and Dance aren't awful books, their problem is they are unresolved middle entries in a series that probably won't be finished.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Last year, GRRM said if if it wasn't finished by the middle of 2020 that he'd be imprisoned in a cabin in New Zealand

So he's going to break 2 promises

It's not too late to organize a raid on GRRM's home just in case. I'd be willing to rent the cabin in New Zealand for our adventure

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Why do you have 6 pages of posts in a thread about a book series you don't even like?

it is possible to like a book series without liking every single book in the series. And its not a hot take to have the opinion that the books declined in quality.

I'm sorry our opinions don't align.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I outright enjoy all five books, and the series as a whole.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Dance with Dragons is the best book in the series don't @ me

I disagree because it's actually Feast.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MonsieurChoc posted:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
affc and adwd are just two halves of one bad book and even then he took out the climactic battle for some reason. They're quite bad.

I might read WOW if it ever comes out but I didn't read fire and blood or the historical encyclopedia book so there's hope for me yet.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Imagine trying to defend a GRRM book in TYOOL 2018.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

affc and adwd are just two halves of one bad book and even then he took out the climactic battle for some reason. They're quite bad.

I might read WOW if it ever comes out but I didn't read fire and blood or the historical encyclopedia book so there's hope for me yet.

Besides maybe Jaime in Storm of Swords, Theon and Dany's* arc in Dance is some of the best writing GRRM has ever done

*yes yes the dr suess diarrhea line was inexcusably bad

Drone Jett posted:

Imagine trying to defend a GRRM book in TYOOL 2018.

The books that were released to widespread critical and fan acclaim?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, when I read Feast the second time a few years back I really liked it. It is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

The books that were released to widespread critical and fan acclaim?

Widespread is a squishy word. I think it's safe to say that Feast and Dance weren't as well received by readers as the first books, even George Martin commented about that on his blog. As far as critical acclaim? One of the most mainstream reviews was done by TIME's Lev Grossman. It's pretty suspect as this fella was busy sucking Martin's knob because he was trying to get his own book series onto the small screen and a favorable blurb on Grossman's jacket cover from one of TIME's most influential people in 2011 wouldn't hurt.