Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Blistex posted:

Looking for some good 1950-1970's science fiction, or some modern stuff that's in the same spirit. I've been googling lists of recommended stuff, and it's usually the same 20 results over and over.

Stuff I like:
Asimov (all)
Niven (when it's NOT interspecies sex)
Forever War
Ender's Game
Arthur C Clarke
Dune

Basically I'd like some manner of epic sci-fi in the spirit of the aforementioned, and avoid the more modern stuff that tends to really date itself, "the super-hacker took control of the server...".

This sounds like you're describing the "Golden Age" of science fiction, which Asimov, Clarke and Herbert definitely fall into.

Alfred Bester and Jack Vance are popular authors from that period.

A E Van Vogt is in there for sure. Its been a long time since I've read them but I remember enjoying The World of null-A, Slan (though the sequel(s?) not so much), and especially Voyage of the Space Beagle, which Amazon tells me was the inspiration for the original Alien film.

Harlan Ellison is one of my favorite authors, and he wrote a TON of short stories during that period. They're not so much Epic Sci Fi but they're definitely in the spirit of the time, and IMO might be the best example of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

StrixNebulosa posted:

Eon or Queen of Angels by Greg Bear.

Are his "Foundation and Chaos" books worth reading, or should I skip them?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Blistex posted:

Looking for some good 1950-1970's science fiction, or some modern stuff that's in the same spirit. I've been googling lists of recommended stuff, and it's usually the same 20 results over and over.

Stuff I like:
Asimov (all)
Forever War
Ender's Game
Arthur C Clarke
Dune

Basically I'd like some manner of epic sci-fi in the spirit of the aforementioned, and avoid the more modern stuff that tends to really date itself, "the super-hacker took control of the server...".

I'm not a massive fan of the guy myself, but I think Frederik Pohl would be more in line with your tastes than mine. Try Gateway, maybe? There's also Gordon Dickson's (unfinished) Dorsai series, which is pretty epic.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Blistex posted:

Feel like I have to mention Cordwainer Smith since no one else has yet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wow, I'm going to have a lot of reading materials this summer. Thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blistex posted:

Are his "Foundation and Chaos" books worth reading, or should I skip them?

I don't know because I haven't read them yet. Sorry!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blistex posted:

Stuff I like:
Asimov (all)
Forever War
Ender's Game
Arthur C Clarke
Dune

Hal Clement
Clifford Simak (City)
Lester Del Rey

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TommyGun85 posted:

V

You should also read Against the Day before Gravity's Rainbow. It is a beast of a book though.

Bleeding Edge is also very accessible and easy to read.

If you really enjoy his writing, I think Mason & Dixon is one of the best novels ever written.

Tempted to just go through all of them in order of publication now, knowing that several are behemoths and even though it's eight novels and a short story collection it will take a long time.

Anyway, looking for some non-fiction recs. I'm currently reading Satanic Panic: Pop Cultural Paranoia in the 1980's and really loving it. It's a series of essays by different writers examining different elements of the 80's Satanic Panic through the various pop culture outrages of the time -- from DnD to Saturday morning cartoons to heavy metal music. Only thing is, depending on who's writing it doesn't always go as in depth on the political elements as I'd like and would love if anyone has some recs for other books on the topic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Tempted to just go through all of them in order of publication now, knowing that several are behemoths and even though it's eight novels and a short story collection it will take a long time.

Anyway, looking for some non-fiction recs. I'm currently reading Satanic Panic: Pop Cultural Paranoia in the 1980's and really loving it. It's a series of essays by different writers examining different elements of the 80's Satanic Panic through the various pop culture outrages of the time -- from DnD to Saturday morning cartoons to heavy metal music. Only thing is, depending on who's writing it doesn't always go as in depth on the political elements as I'd like and would love if anyone has some recs for other books on the topic.

You might like The Utopia of Rules by David Graeber. It’s a series of essays about how society, through technological solutions to non-problems, is limiting the accessibility of “normal” life and expanding the carceral and disability programs to cover the people who fall off the edge of the narrowing bell curve.

And it has an excellent essay about how superheroes are a tool of state oppression.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello thread. What's the go-to recommendation for people who like Banks' culture series and Melville's general output? Perhaps some progressive Sci-fi, but with the progressive part more being a backdrop than the reason d'etre? If there is nothing really good like that I suppose I take fantasy too, even though I am not such a big fan of the genre.

If you don't mind, here's a second question. Is there any good cosmic horror? I like Lovecraft's universe and ideas, but not his writing. Perhaps other authors exist that don't sound like a unimaginative dungeon master.

I don't care about year of release for either. Thank you very much!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello thread. What's the go-to recommendation for people who like Banks' culture series and Melville's general output? Perhaps some progressive Sci-fi, but with the progressive part more being a backdrop than the reason d'etre? If there is nothing really good like that I suppose I take fantasy too, even though I am not such a big fan of the genre.

If you don't mind, here's a second question. Is there any good cosmic horror? I like Lovecraft's universe and ideas, but not his writing. Perhaps other authors exist that don't sound like a unimaginative dungeon master.

Kameron Hurley's works might be what you're looking for re: sci-fi, or Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota series, and for cosmic horror you want Caitlin R Kiernan's works. Any of them will do, but Threshold, Agents of Dreamland, and Black Helicopters go hard on the cosmic scope of the horror.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I recommend American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett for lovecraftian horror. And the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, of course. I think The Ballad of Black Tom is in the Lovecraft universe, if that’s more what you’re looking for. And Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff is excellent, progressive, and totally in that universe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seconding The Ballad of Black Tom, it's a retelling of one of the worst (and most racist) Lovecraft stories from the other side. Victor LaValle's stuff is usually good.

Lovecraft Country did nothing for me but YMMV. Felt too simplistic, too preachy and honestly lacking any horror.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Perfect. Thank you StrixNebulosa, tuyop and anilEhilated. I will try all of these recommendations and report back someday! :)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If I were to pick five Agatha Christie novels to read, which ones would you recommend? I've already read Murder on the Orient Express and liked it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

If I were to pick five Agatha Christie novels to read, which ones would you recommend? I've already read Murder on the Orient Express and liked it.

Personally, I'd say And Then There Were None, Endless Night, Crooked House, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and ABC Murders. Not all of them are Poirot mysteries but they're all good.

Edit: Though now that I think about it I would put Peril at End House as another option, maybe in the place of ABC Murders. They're both good though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sad Cypress.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Personally, I'd say And Then There Were None, Endless Night, Crooked House, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and ABC Murders. Not all of them are Poirot mysteries but they're all good.

Edit: Though now that I think about it I would put Peril at End House as another option, maybe in the place of ABC Murders. They're both good though.

I think that's a pretty good list, although I might throw in Evil Under the Sun myself.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

looking for books both fiction and non about the french resistance/early 20th century french life.

i’m sadly becoming a ouiaboo

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

obvious answer is of course In search of lost time, it’s set from late late 19th to early 20th century

discard all need to merely focus on plot and ~world building~ and you’re all set to go

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’ve been irritated because my cursory searches have only returned stuff about americans but i want something from the perspective of the native french.

i remember really enjoying down and out in paris and london back in college and i’d love to read stuff that doesn’t focus on the american perspective

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Journey to the End of the Night.

:unsmigghh:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Journey to the End of the Night.

:unsmigghh:

This, a million times. It’s probably the best French novel of the twentieth century.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Any other sort of grand fantasy series worth diving into? Just about to finish The Black Company series (enjoyed it quite a bit), read The Malazan Book of the Fallen prior to that (took forever, really didn’t enjoy it all as much as I’d hoped). May swap to historical fiction since I’d asked about that before, but any completed series recommendations are appreciated.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Gormenghast (making certain allowances for "completed").

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Any other sort of grand fantasy series worth diving into? Just about to finish The Black Company series (enjoyed it quite a bit), read The Malazan Book of the Fallen prior to that (took forever, really didn’t enjoy it all as much as I’d hoped). May swap to historical fiction since I’d asked about that before, but any completed series recommendations are appreciated.

Depends what you're in the mood for. If you want generic fantasy, wheel of time. If you want excellent quality writing, Patrick O Brian.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Patrick O Brian.

This. If you're in a fantasy mood, take all of the nautical jargon that sometimes throws people off and just consider it the "magic system."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there anything similar to American Elsewhere, but maybe with a little more mystery? I liked the book, but I felt the author spent a long, long time setting up some pretty obvious payoffs and then having extended ‘No, that’s not possible!’ conversations.

This is not me bragging about getting the twists early, or complaining about the book. As I said, I enjoyed it, I’m just looking for authors who are maybe a little more subtle in their twists. I realize this may be a weird request.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Is there anything similar to American Elsewhere, but maybe with a little more mystery? I liked the book, but I felt the author spent a long, long time setting up some pretty obvious payoffs and then having extended ‘No, that’s not possible!’ conversations.

This is not me bragging about getting the twists early, or complaining about the book. As I said, I enjoyed it, I’m just looking for authors who are maybe a little more subtle in their twists. I realize this may be a weird request.

But still Lovecraftian?

The Croning by Laird Barron was pretty good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not necessarily Lovecraftian, though I do enjoy the genre. It was just a book I recently finished, and it spawned my desire.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to read a really good mystery novel.

Ideally, something that goes off the rails as the mystery unfolds. With things that are genuinely surprising, but internally consistent.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Casual Encountess posted:

looking for books both fiction and non about the french resistance/early 20th century french life.

i’m sadly becoming a ouiaboo

Every Patrick Modiano book is a reminiscence of an extremely French youth lived during the war or the 60s

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr.D-O posted:

Ideally, something that goes off the rails as the mystery unfolds. With things that are genuinely surprising, but internally consistent.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is easily my favorite Agatha Christie

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

^^ is it still worth reading if the reveal has been spoiled for me?

Dr.D-O posted:

The Curious Incident of the Dog might work. I don't know that it goes off the rails so much as it is just a unique presentation of a mystery story. Going in blind is best.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 11, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dr.D-O posted:

The Westing Game, perhaps?

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is easily my favorite Agatha Christie

I recently read Murder on the Orient Express and found it kind of underwhelming. How would you say it compares (without spoiling it)?

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

^^ is it still worth reading if the reveal has been spoiled for me?

The Curious Incident of the Dog might work. I don't know that it goes off the rails so much as it is just a unique presentation of a mystery story. Going in blind is best.

My boomer mother always recommends this book because it has something to do with Autism (I have autistic family members).

Selachian posted:

The Westing Game, perhaps?

Wikipedia is telling me that this is a children's novel? Is this true?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dr.D-O posted:

Wikipedia is telling me that this is a children's novel? Is this true?

It's a Newberry Award winner so technically yes but it's a good read and very clever. Sure it's for kids which means you'll be able to solve who the murderer is pretty easily, no? Only if you're a careful and insightful reader.

sleez
Jan 11, 2020

Whe the laughing is over, people like you cry.

Dr.D-O posted:

Maybe something like The Maltese Falcon, if you haven't read that already. It kinda set the tone for a lot of mystery/detective novels that came after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleez
Jan 11, 2020

Whe the laughing is over, people like you cry.
Currently reading a non-fiction book about the history of the gypsies and their way of life, and I dig it. I'm looking for similar stuff where I can learn some fascinating things about other cultures.