Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MetaJew posted:

Poor wording: the paddles are not easily accessed with the dash and stuff assembled . In addition there is some binding and I don't want to break anything trying to actuate it now that it is assembled.

I didn't know about the error in the manual. I'll have to look up the fix and compare to my manual. Unless it's an easy fix with the car assembled, though, it's not getting fixed.

Trust me, it's not an easy fix once the set is assembled. You need to get to the gearbox, which you can't access without removing basically everything (ask me how I know ;) )...you need to get to the two clutch parts at the (back, IIRC) of the gearbox, which you assemble in like step 10 of 300. It's totally not worth it, as you won't notice the difference anyway between second and third, mainly because you can't see the pistons moving (faster or slower, depending on gear, when you push it) once the thing is fully assembled. And the difference in force you need to push it is also not really noticable.

e: more on this here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/133688-review-42056-porsche-911-gt3-rs/

search for "gear sequence is incorrect"

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone remember that website that sold plastic enclosures to display sets? I'm looking to display my tumbler, but I also want it at an angle, I remember there was a site that goons liked...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone remember that website that sold plastic enclosures to display sets? I'm looking to display my tumbler, but I also want it at an angle, I remember there was a site that goons liked...

https://www.wickedbrick.com/products/display-stand-for-lego-ucs-the-tumbler-76023?_pos=1&_sid=f21a10bab&_ss=r

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

tuo posted:

Trust me, it's not an easy fix once the set is assembled. You need to get to the gearbox, which you can't access without removing basically everything (ask me how I know ;) )...you need to get to the two clutch parts at the (back, IIRC) of the gearbox, which you assemble in like step 10 of 300. It's totally not worth it, as you won't notice the difference anyway between second and third, mainly because you can't see the pistons moving (faster or slower, depending on gear, when you push it) once the thing is fully assembled. And the difference in force you need to push it is also not really noticable.

e: more on this here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/133688-review-42056-porsche-911-gt3-rs/

search for "gear sequence is incorrect"

Oh, yeah, that's not getting fixed.

I'm honestly annoyed with how hidden the gear box and "engine" are, given how complicated the design is, but I guess I should know better. A few years ago I assembled and painted a Porsche 959 model-- put a lot of time into painting and detailing the motor, and then being a rear engine car, you can hardly see any of it.

Anyway I need to figure out some place or way to display this GT3 because it's too wide to fit on my bookshelves.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MetaJew posted:

Oh, yeah, that's not getting fixed.

I'm honestly annoyed with how hidden the gear box and "engine" are, given how complicated the design is, but I guess I should know better. A few years ago I assembled and painted a Porsche 959 model-- put a lot of time into painting and detailing the motor, and then being a rear engine car, you can hardly see any of it.

Anyway I need to figure out some place or way to display this GT3 because it's too wide to fit on my bookshelves.

Both is something I disliked on this set, and the Bugatti. Some reviewer said they should have created a different category for these sets, like UCS speed champions or similar, and he's right, imo. Most Technic sets expose all the internal functions, because that's why you build an abstract "real life" set, to see how some of the internal stuff could actually work.

When I finished the 911, and realized neither the gearbox, nor the engine are visible, not even with some kind of "remove these two things" like they do it on some UCS Star Wars sets, I was dissappointed.

Lego needs to figure out what they want to do with technic. The 919 RSR - while looking pretty cool - was even worse. The Liebherr again is one of the best looking technic sets imo, but too expensive.

The early 2020 technic lineup is nothing but a big joke. The crane is okay-ish, and the small Claas is cute...the rest is pretty bad. And that Top Gear thing...oh my god....

Then again, maybe technic has actually run out of ideas. You can only make so many cranes, and so many tractors etc.

At least over here, dealers say that technic sales are at the lowest they have seen them in past years. So I think it might be time to reinvent the series.

Give me some machines. Give me a technic printing press, irregardless if its Heidelberg, KBA or whatever. Give me a factory that fills bottles. Stuff like that. But I assume with the new smartphone poweredup stuff, we get a lot of the old stuff, made new again.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tuo posted:

Give me some machines. Give me a technic printing press, irregardless if its Heidelberg, KBA or whatever.

This would be cool. There's still a lot of potential for Technic if they can get creative with it. I never went for it as it seemed more Meccano-like than regular Lego. The figures being a different size/scale also put young me off the series.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tuo posted:

When I finished the 911, and realized neither the gearbox, nor the engine are visible, not even with some kind of "remove these two things" like they do it on some UCS Star Wars sets, I was dissappointed.
There exists a mod you can do to make removing the bodywork from the frame possible so you can actually enjoy the functions now and again:

https://racecarslasersaeroplanes.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/lego-porsche-911-gt3-rs-separation-of-chassis-and-frame/

edit: also, due to a previously unknown contest my LUG is doing, I decided to greatly accelerate my plans to build the dealership. All parts ordered this morning! I didn't need that money! Didn't want it, even.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 5, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

There exists a mod you can do to make removing the bodywork from the frame possible so you can actually enjoy the functions now and again:

https://racecarslasersaeroplanes.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/lego-porsche-911-gt3-rs-separation-of-chassis-and-frame/

That seems pretty easy, actually. I guess I'll give that a try, simply to make the set a bit more interesting on the shelf!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Carbohydrates posted:

This is really cool. Bookmarked.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to do ziploks for now and then find some bins/boxes or something. I am not excited about this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I found that Dr Strange Sanctum Showdown set in Target today, but it’s still full price, when I’d have assumed they’d be clearancing it out.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
My kid picked up some of the new Ninjago sets this week and I noticed some interesting additions/changes to the usual instruction format in one of the models.
1 - An x-ray image at the start showing what part in the model you were starting to build.
2 - General comic-y formatting (might be Ninjago-specific) with a progress bar at the bottom of the page.
3 - When you have to build two identical but mirrored components, it shows the instructions simultaneously in the same step, instead of having you build one, then the other.
4 - The models had extra, optional stickers for customising the model, and one set had a little M-Tron logo :dance:

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 6, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
These are all pretty cool changes. Thanks for pointing them out! The only 2020 set I've built is the Audi Quattro and its instructions were the same as ever, none of this new stuff.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Those are quite handy changes. If they're not in all sets then it's possible Ninjago is just a trial for that format. I've heard that the longest part of developing any set is putting the instructions together so it would make sense to introduce changes incrementally.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
My kid actually had two of the newly-released Ninjago sets but only one had the new instruction format for whatever reason.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Did they ever say what the deal was with brick seperators? They appear to have reverted back to Orange entirely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can anyone recommend any good winter tires for my Creator Expert Ferrari F40?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Did they ever say what the deal was with brick seperators? They appear to have reverted back to Orange entirely.

Did they actually switch over to the teal? I got one with my Batmobile, but there was very few other sets I saw with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Can anyone recommend any good winter tires for my Creator Expert Ferrari F40?

6581 "20x30 balloon medium" is the best looking I have, but it doesn't fit into the wheel well. You can get it in there with a little squishing though.

61481 "43.2mm D. x 26mm Balloon Small" fits a lot better but is more of a motorcycle tire and looks really small in the wheel well.

I possess no other suitable tires!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Oxyclean posted:

Did they actually switch over to the teal? I got one with my Batmobile, but there was very few other sets I saw with them.

I think orange is still default. Teal and other colors will be special.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Barnes & Noble has the DC CMFs in stock, but I don’t care and they’re too expensive now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Barnes & Noble has the DC CMFs in stock, but I don’t care and they’re too expensive now.
On their ten year anniversary, let's all take a moment to remember when CMFs debuted at $1.99.

Granted, that was ten years ago and the printing, dual molding, and accessories have gotten far more complex. Plus there's the licensing for the DC and other IP ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's been funny seeing what is still in stock in places after Christmas. One large department store had several dozen Corner Garages, and I guess they must be storing them there instead of in a warehouse.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So is Voltron going out of print or not? On the LEGO website it’s just listed as out of stock with no back order option, but there isn’t a “retiring soon” note like they usually put on sets that are going out.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC, it was listed as going out of print on a lot of channels/blogs, as dealers can no longer order it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Some early rumors about a creator level soccer stadium for around $300. No photos or anything, but it's from the usually spot on leakers.

I also saw an image of the next 12 ideas sets up for approval. I want futurama so bad. and the large steel hulled ship as that's something I've been wanting to do forever but then I had a kid and haven't been in my basement to build in a bout 1.5 years.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m ready for that loving Lego Piano

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Scipiotik posted:

I also saw an image of the next 12 ideas sets up for approval. I want futurama so bad. and the large steel hulled ship as that's something I've been wanting to do forever but then I had a kid and haven't been in my basement to build in a bout 1.5 years.

Heres the blog post from today on the next round of Ideas Review

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Futurama, the typewriter, and the zelda one would all be cool. But it's going to be Seinfeld, so whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Love that Planet Express

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d love the Winter Chalet, and the BotW Stables out of all those.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Queen one just seems overly obscure. If I were to make a Queen diorama, I would make the stage from Live Aid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dioramas sure are popular aren't they!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I can see them doing the Ratatouille set based on their relationship with Disney.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

Dioramas sure are popular aren't they!

Yep, seems to be an easy way to get 10k people to support it if you just slap a popular IP and some minifigs in a room.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I would buy the Planet Express ship Day 1 if they release it.

The typewriter and the Chalet look pretty cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I understand why it's that way but I don't like the windscreen on planet express ship

That aquarium is pretty neato as is the typewriter

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, what's with that house having like 24 foot high walls. I know I already commented on it, but I legitimately don't understand why that Queen one got to 10k votes aside from it saying it is Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

The Queen one just seems overly obscure. If I were to make a Queen diorama, I would make the stage from Live Aid.

If they were going to a Queen one, they should've done one based off the video to "Breakthru" (it'd mean another train!)

edit: Which someone has done:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a4f69599-1ef2-4959-b81f-17862dc9b810