Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The drawknife I bought is doing a nice job of removing bark from this slab, except for the parts that are inside of indentations, like this:

About all I can think of for these is to use a gouge and a mallet. They're gonna be a pain to sand smooth though. Any advice?

Scorp? https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/timber-tuff-scorp.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are also highly curved drawknives, e.g.

But the radius of the curve is still a limiting factor.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's attractive, easy to work, reasonably hard, readily available, and cheaper than most alternatives I have access to.

:heysexy:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

mds2 posted:

Right before Christmas I inherited my great uncles 1952 shopsmith. This will be used almost exclusively as a lathe. Having no previous turning experience this has been a really fun tool to use. Other than a little rust on the tubes the machine is in drat near new condition.
It didn’t come with the manual but drat this machine can do a lot. Having a horizontal boring machine will be awesome.

I’m peering into the void of wood turning and I can see all my money disappear.

How can I turn a bowl without a chuck?

Do you have a screw face plate? Do you mind if your bowl is more of a strainer in the end :dadjoke:

Buy a chuck. It is honestly the best investment for a lathe.

I have a Talon and absolutely love it, its a bit more than a Nova but between the two it is worth the extra. I have lost a few bowls out of the narrower nova jaws.

https://www.amazon.com/ONEWAY-Talon...278900642&psc=1

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

ColdPie posted:

As a hand tool nut, Cherry is quickly becoming my go to wood.

Good to know. Birch is the same price as oak for me and it's (confusingly) called cherry in my region.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mds2 posted:

Right before Christmas I inherited my great uncles 1952 shopsmith. This will be used almost exclusively as a lathe. Having no previous turning experience this has been a really fun tool to use. Other than a little rust on the tubes the machine is in drat near new condition.
It didn’t come with the manual but drat this machine can do a lot. Having a horizontal boring machine will be awesome.

I’m peering into the void of wood turning and I can see all my money disappear.

How can I turn a bowl without a chuck?
How well does the horizontal boring part work? Does it adjust vertically and horizontally? Very interested in this. I have driven myself crazy trying to drill a very straight dowel hole exactly along the long axis of a square turning blank to join up longer turnings. Made lathe jigs, dowel jigs, had a million ideas and all have failed for one reason or another (mostly because 1 degree of error makes a very obviously crooked 7' tall bedpost), but I see used shopsmiths around all the time on craigslist.

If you have a faceplate, you can screw or glue the bowl to that, but a chuck is really a great thing to have around (and a drill chuck that fits the headstock and tailstock)

The drawknife I bought is doing a nice job of removing bark from this slab, except for the parts that are inside of indentations, like this:

About all I can think of for these is to use a gouge and a mallet. They're gonna be a pain to sand smooth though. Any advice?
I'd use a nice sharp gouge and leave the gouge texture and pretend it was on purpose. My Sherwin Williams has some thin 3M sanding sponge pad things that make smoothing the gouge marks that alot easier. Curved card scraper might help too as a go between between gouge and sandpaper if you want to remove the gouge texture?

ColdPie posted:

As a hand tool nut, Cherry is quickly becoming my go to wood.
Don't ever touch walnut! It's probably my favorite for just being pleasant to work with, but it's expensive af right now. I really love cherry but haven't had the chance to use it in a while. With neutral scandinavian minimalism stuff being so hot right now and driving a bunch of demand for white oak and walnut, cherry (and mahogany-nothing red!) is kind of out, so there isn't a ton of demand for it and the prices and quality seem great right now.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Horizontal boring works pretty good on a shopsmith. it can change height and you can clamp a block down to brace the piece from the side and its got a nice big table to work on. Look for a machine made after 1984 as they have an improved quill with less runout generally ( the serial number is on the opposite side of main quill and you can look it up here https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm ) Make sure you brace the main table against the auxiliary table to keep it from deflecting down.

The guy at the used tool shop here was pretty sad when the last on he had sold since he got some good use out of for drilling holes for lamps.

It might be worth a shot for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd use a nice sharp gouge and leave the gouge texture and pretend it was on purpose. My Sherwin Williams has some thin 3M sanding sponge pad things that make smoothing the gouge marks that alot easier. Curved card scraper might help too as a go between between gouge and sandpaper if you want to remove the gouge texture?

Alright, thanks for the advice. Same goes for y'all that posted about drawknives with tighter radii, though I think I'm about done buying new tools for this project, between the angle grinder, bench grinder, scrub plane, and drawknife. Criminy.

And yeah, depending on how hard it is to clear the gouge marks I'll probably just end up not worrying about them. This stuff won't be terribly visible anyway, as it's mostly in recesses on the underside of the piece.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hey folks. As a computer toucher by day I've decided to get back into doing something more concrete. And by concrete, I mean wood and woodlike stuff. Which is not concrete. It's fairly unlike concrete, even. But anyway. I have a little bit of an understanding of what one can/should do and what you can get away with; I took a lot of shop classes in school and my dad does a little bit of rough carpentry, he tried to get me interested in it as a kid and it didn't take. I am also a video dork, so I'm thinking about putting together a work log on YouTube. I have a lot of friends who, as I've started putting together the tools that I'll need--thank you Black Friday sales--have said that they wish they could/wish they knew enough/etc etc to get into this stuff, and of course they can but maybe some well-produced and detailed stuff can encourage somebody to do it. Or at least to watch it and get mad at me or something.

There's an absolutely awful worktable in the basement at the moment, it was here when we bought the house, and I want to get rid of it. So, like absolutely everybody else, I want to knock together a workbench--something that'll last a decent while, even if it's not forever. Turns out Fusion360 doesn't work if you're on Windows Insider, so I had to go learn how to FreeCAD. FreeCAD's pretty rough after spending a lot of time in 3D modeling tools! But I've put together the start of a plan, and I'd be very grateful for a set of eyes or three and any advice that might be pertinent.

Bench top (brown): 72" x 33", laminated pine, oriented up/down and trimmed to about 2.5". The overhang is 16", and the table will be affixed to a concrete floor. The top's supported by legs (green). They set a bench height of 36.5", which is the same height as my standing desk. I know folks say to use a lower table for hand tools, but I don't see myself getting into hand tools. I get enough of a contact high reading about y'all's Stanleys.

Those legs are made primarily out of two 2x4 verticals, with one uninterrupted piece acting as a tenon through the top and a second piece, the inner one, butting up against the top (and if it's hard to tell it's whole vertically but will be used to half-lap the widthwise stringers). The third, external piece on each leg is to provide vertical support for the horizontal stringers, in blue, but they're not complete boards and so most of the weight of the bench will be supported by the former pieces.

I wanted the lengthwise stringers at the top, even though I may not need them structurally, to create additional clamping room for projects. I'll probably eventually add a lengthwise shelf to the bottom, though leaving myself some clamping room.

As mentioned it's been awhile since I spent any time in a wood shop, but I'm fairly certain that I'm not looking at any joints that might be a problem with regards to relying on glue--no end grain to side grain joints except the leg supports, and those will be mostly for additional compression strength, with the top glued in place with the tenons going through. Does that make sense? Am I full of poo poo? I might be full of poo poo, I don't know.

The legs, with the top removed. FreeCAD is a pain in the rear end, so there's some Z-fighting and the cross pieces look like two 1.5" pieces when it's actually a 2x4 cross-lapped to the horizontal stringer, but the idea is two across at roughly a third of the way across on top and bottom. My intuition is that this is overkill since it'll be attached to the floor, but I figure it'll be worth it when I put a shelf down there.

I really wish I understood what drove FreeCAD to do...this...with my measurements.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 7, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFashionableHat posted:

I really wish I understood what drove FreeCAD to do...this...with my measurements.

As a computer toucher I think you know the answer to this already.

Welcome, and looking forward to seeing your video series!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
That's basically the same as my workbench, except I have mine screwed together instead of tenoned. It weighs a lot.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

JEEVES420 posted:

Do you have a screw face plate? Do you mind if your bowl is more of a strainer in the end :dadjoke:

Buy a chuck. It is honestly the best investment for a lathe.

I have a Talon and absolutely love it, its a bit more than a Nova but between the two it is worth the extra. I have lost a few bowls out of the narrower nova jaws.

https://www.amazon.com/ONEWAY-Talon...278900642&psc=1

It did come with a 6" screw face plate. Last night I watched some videos on gluing the work piece to a sacrificial board that was screwed to a face plate. I might give that a shot. A chuck is on the top of my shopping list.

Woodworking related: I smashed the end of my pinky off fixing my bandsaw. I was running it with the guards off and my pinky hit the upper wheel. They sewed it back on. :(

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

mds2 posted:

Woodworking related: I smashed the end of my pinky off fixing my bandsaw. I was running it with the guards off and my pinky hit the upper wheel. They sewed it back on. :(

:stare: come again?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

AFashionableHat posted:

Bench top (brown): 72" x 33"

33'' is pretty wide. I build my bench off the the Roubo plans Christopher Schwartz has in his book/video. It is 24" wide, and works just fine. Keep in mind that you will have to be reaching across for stuff, and occasionally walking around it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

JEEVES420 posted:

:stare: come again?

Its about as stupid as it sounds. I didnt really cut it off, and it didnt happen with the blade. I was trying to figure out why the saw wasnt running right, popped the cover open on it, and hit my hand in the spinning upper wheel. The end of my pinky "snapped" off right at the cuticle. A quick trip to the ER and they sewed it back on.

The problem with the saw was the bottom tire broke.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

mds2 posted:

Its about as stupid as it sounds. I didnt really cut it off, and it didnt happen with the blade. I was trying to figure out why the saw wasnt running right, popped the cover open on it, and hit my hand in the spinning upper wheel. The end of my pinky "snapped" off right at the cuticle. A quick trip to the ER and they sewed it back on.

:gonk:

Sorry about that. woof

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

drat that smarts. Condolences mds2, good to hear it got repaired. But maybe that belongs in the DIY>Sewing thread?

edit- we need to edit the Slatflippers tag to have a hand in it with a few missing finger joints

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

drat that smarts. Condolences mds2, good to hear it got repaired. But maybe that belongs in the DIY>Sewing thread?

edit- we need to edit the Slatflippers tag to have a hand in it with a few missing finger joints

Sewing thread? How drab. Should have just asked for some quick help in the fix it fast thread and been guided to the... lego thread?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Sewing thread? How drab. Should have just asked for some quick help in the fix it fast thread and been guided to the... lego thread?

Where I give my same default answer..meh just throw some super glue on it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jaded Burnout posted:

As a computer toucher I think you know the answer to this already.
I mean yeah, but I genuinely couldn't figure out why. Why is one of them sailing eight miles off to the left? Why are the others going through the body of the thing? This is all silly.

quote:

Welcome, and looking forward to seeing your video series!
Aw, thanks. I mostly do live video so the idea of recording things--things somebody can watch later! can scrutinize!--is terrifying. But I've sorta noticed that everything I've seen is at least one of these things: 1) awful, awful video quality (single-camera, no close-ups to indicate what you're actually doing, etc.), 2) done by an expert who can probably build a house by glaring at it firmly enough and who Never Makes Mistakes (making it a lot less relatable of an idea to get started with), or 3) secretly actually white supremacy.

I know enough to know what I need to figure out, but I'm not by any means an expert and I think that could be fun to put out there. Like I said, maybe it'll be interesting to somebody who was in the position I was. And it's fun to do.

DevNull posted:

33'' is pretty wide. I build my bench off the the Roubo plans Christopher Schwartz has in his book/video. It is 24" wide, and works just fine. Keep in mind that you will have to be reaching across for stuff, and occasionally walking around it.

That's a good point. I just reached across my desk, which is 33" deep, and realized that that's an enormous pain in the rear end. And it gives me more room to move around ye olde basement at like 27" (24" felt a little too small given my horizontal reach). Thanks for pointing that out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Got my Delta 36-725 set up and aligned, finally. Took most of the day Saturday to get it in the basement and set up, then 3 tries over 3 days to get the blade aligned.

Out of box, the blade/motor assembly was off by ~3/16" over the length of the blade, which is... awful:
front:

back:

Running through instructions online for adjusting the blade alignment (including the powerpoint Delta CS supposedly sends you if you ask about it), there were only instructions for adjusting it the other way, i.e. fixing it if the front of the blade was too far to the right. When I tried nudging the back into parallel, the front moved left enough that it scraped the throat plate. Eventually I figured out how to shift the front over to the left. There's still only about 1/8" of clearance, so I might need to make ZC inserts for bevels, or try to nudge the whole thing over more. But this was such a PITA that I don't want to gently caress with it ever again. If I could have easily gotten it back in the box (which is destroyed) and out of the basement I would have returned it, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Now that it's set up though, what a dream. I had been using a Ryobi Mistake, and it's just... better in every way. I actually feel like I have control of the workpiece, I trust the fence to lock parallel, I'm not getting giant blade mark gouges on rip cuts, the miter gauge is actually usable, I can actually use my dado stack. In comparison, the Ryobi feels like a fundamentally unsafe tool.

edit: I did have one problem -- I was making repeated crosscuts on a ~1.5" wide piece of pine with a stopblock on my rip fence. The first couple were perfect, but then they started jamming about halfway through -- blade was spinning fine, but it seemed like it needed an unsafe amount of force to push the piece through the last 1/2" or so. Then I saw the peeled up front of the warning sticker on the throat plate :gonk:

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 7, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: that bench, AFashionableHat, I'd figure out in advance where you're going to put your vise(s). Also potentially any holes for bench dogs.

e. more falafel, do yourself a huge favor and just plan to get/make a zero clearance insert anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 7, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mds2 posted:

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch etc.

drat that really sounds painful, glad it could get patched up.

My bandsaw has euro safety stuff (including a switch lockout if the door is open) and it occasionally frustrates me because I’ve wanted to to exactly what you were doing to diagnose a problem. Sounds like that lockout is there for a reason!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Leperflesh posted:

e. more falafel, do yourself a huge favor and just plan to get/make a zero clearance insert anyway.

Oh most definitely. I've got a backlog of jigs/accessories I need to make -- my old Ryobi had the awful nonstandard miter slots with the notches in them that make it basically impossible to make jigs of any kind, so I want to make all the stuff I've been pining for: zero clearance insert, crosscut sled, miter/picture frame sled, taper/edge joint jig, spline jig, box joint jig. That's just off the top of my head.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

So I’m getting ready to build my workbench. I have the 2x4s I need left over from when my father in law built some shelves in my basement when I first bought the house. All I should need material wise is a full sheet of plywood. The problem is that we drive a Kia Forte. I’m not fitting a full sheet in there, and we don’t have a roof rack. I could have it delivered, but the shipping cost is higher than the cost of the plywood itself. How do you transport sheet goods without a truck?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If you aren't going to be able to have them cut it down for you to fit it sounds like you need to find someone with a truck and buy em a sixer or rent one yourself

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BobbyDrake posted:

So I’m getting ready to build my workbench. I have the 2x4s I need left over from when my father in law built some shelves in my basement when I first bought the house. All I should need material wise is a full sheet of plywood. The problem is that we drive a Kia Forte. I’m not fitting a full sheet in there, and we don’t have a roof rack. I could have it delivered, but the shipping cost is higher than the cost of the plywood itself. How do you transport sheet goods without a truck?

Lots of home improvement stores rent pickup trucks for reasonable rates. Around here it's $20 for 90 minutes with no milage charges.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah renting a truck is how I move my big stuff around. Or if you don't like that, just pay to have it delivered, if their rates aren't super bonkers. You're saving more than that in gas and car price with the Kia anyway.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If you aren't going to be able to have them cut it down for you to fit it sounds like you need to find someone with a truck and buy em a sixer or rent one yourself

Khizan posted:

Lots of home improvement stores rent pickup trucks for reasonable rates. Around here it's $20 for 90 minutes with no milage charges.

ColdPie posted:

Yeah renting a truck is how I move my big stuff around. Or if you don't like that, just pay to have it delivered, if their rates aren't super bonkers. You're saving more than that in gas and car price with the Kia anyway.

Yeah, probably just going to rent a truck from Home Depot. The cost at Home Depot in my area is 20 bucks for 75 minutes. Not too bad, considering they wanted 79 bucks to deliver a 45 dollar sheet of plywood.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry if this outs me as an idiot, but where do you all stand (or conventional wisdom) on sanding before or after surface drilling.

Do you sand down your board then drill some countersunk screw holes? Do you plop your holes, then sand the surface?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Either works, but before sanding is better. The less handling the work gets after sanding the better, imo, and sanding will knock the fuzz off from the countersink holes etc. However that’s not always practical, especially with installing hardware on a finished piece and then just be carefully. Masking tape on the entrance/exit wounds and good sharp Brad point bits help reduce blowout and make a nice clean hole.

I am most careful handling stuff between final finish sanding with 220 and sealing. Once it has a coat of sealer/finish on you don’t have to worry as much about greasy/sweaty hands and stuff messing with stain/finish.

So I guess either before sanding if possible, or after finishing, but preferably not between sanding and finishing (though any is fine if you’re careful)?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Cool. Some times I’ve had to do it after but for what I’m doing now I think before would be best.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In another episode of Idiot Woodworker... There was a brief moment or two where my flu-addled brain random orbit sanded some of this mahogany without face mask. Didn't think much of it, but (and this could be me just being sick) now I smell this weird almost like, paint/chemical smell. Is that from the Mahog particles?

Am I dying?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Feenix posted:

In another episode of Idiot Woodworker... There was a brief moment or two where my flu-addled brain random orbit sanded some of this mahogany without face mask. Didn't think much of it, but (and this could be me just being sick) now I smell this weird almost like, paint/chemical smell. Is that from the Mahog particles?

Am I dying?
Did you knock over some mineral spirits? South American and African mahogany both have little to no odor. Sapele and Spanish cedar are both in the mahogany family and occasionally sold as mahogany and both have strong, spicy but pleasant, cigar box cedar smells. Lauan/meranti are sold as Philippine mahogany sometimes and have a smell but it smells more like stale piss than paint. Any wood can be a sensitizer and you might be allergic/sensitive to any of them, but African and S. American American mahogany are generally pretty benign. Spanish cedar definitely makes some people’s nose blow up.

Post pics!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No spirits or finishing. Could just be my sinuses from being sick. Just thought I’d ask.

I’ll post pics when it’s more interesting than just “plank of wood” :)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feenix posted:

Am I dying?

That's the smell of napalm and dying flu virii in the morning. Mahogany is an anti-viral.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's the smell of napalm and dying flu virii in the morning. Mahogany is an anti-viral.

I'll take it?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I went into the shop yesterday, planning on making some basic headphone stands.

2 hours later, I'd put up a wall, re-organized my lathe, router, planer, jointer, miter saw, and disk sander, put up a wood wall protecting my furnace and got 0 progress toward my original goal.

:thunk:

Nailed it

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I went into the shop yesterday, planning on making some basic headphone stands.

2 hours later, I'd put up a wall, re-organized my lathe, router, planer, jointer, miter saw, and disk sander, put up a wood wall protecting my furnace and got 0 progress toward my original goal.

:thunk:

Nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

Not too bad, considering they wanted 79 bucks to deliver a 45 dollar sheet of plywood.

You might be buying a fancier piece of ply than you really need for just a worktop bench. Assuming your backing it with those 2x4s to a reasonable degree, I bet you could get away with something like this half-inch sanded stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sanded-Plywood-FSC-Certified-Common-15-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-451-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-577278/100097501

alternatively instead of cutting down a whole sheet, HD sells "project" ply in various dimensions that would reduce your wastage. E.g., maybe you'd get away with a 4x4 and a 2x4 or maybe two 2x4 sheets of this stuff? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sanded-Plywood-Common-1-2-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-451-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-300896/202093833

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 9, 2020