Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

dwarf74 posted:

I have been told to go with Vallejo.

I have never painted a mini, but painting something I can just remake for almost free when I inevitably screw it up? That might get me to start.

For the record, this is anything. It's cheap and easy to strip any acrylic paint from a model if you're really dissatisfied with the paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zurai posted:

For the record, this is anything. It's cheap and easy to strip any acrylic paint from a model if you're really dissatisfied with the paint job.
The cheap WalMart and Michael's acrylics have less pigment per ounce than hobbyist paints, which can make it tough to do small detail work, especially with lighter colors. It's more difficult to get bold, sharp lines. They also tend not to thin as well, which makes getting a smooth coat on large, flat surfaces trickier.

But yeah, for scenery, grab a bunch of $1 colors and go crazy. For the character minis, it comes down to what you're willing to accept. I've painted easily a couple of hundred miniatures with a wide variety of paints, and I don't think I could go back to the cheap stuff for any minis that I really care about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommonShore posted:

What kind of 3d printer? I've been contemplating getting one...

I asked this recently in the 3d printer thread and they said they anycubic photon for miniatures.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The main reason I suggested GW contrast paints is that they do most of the work for you in a single layer and save tons of time.

But part of the fun of painting is trying different things so experiment and see what you like and what works for you :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I asked this recently in the 3d printer thread and they said they anycubic photon for miniatures.

Yeah, for minis you really need a good quality SLS resin printer, FDM just can't get small enough layer height to avoid the layer lines that are acceptable and removable on props and larger minis, but for Gloomhaven sizes will just look like crap.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

What kind of 3d printer? I've been contemplating getting one...
Oh I just got the entry-level Monoprice Select v2. But it's sufficient for cool Gloomhaven stuff like this chest.... Which is uploading rotated for some reason.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, for minis you really need a good quality SLS resin printer, FDM just can't get small enough layer height to avoid the layer lines that are acceptable and removable on props and larger minis, but for Gloomhaven sizes will just look like crap.
One of my gaming buddies has a resin printer because he's deep into minis. It sounds kiiiiinda scary to deal with. Like, gloves to handle the material, extreme ventilation, weird precautions before handling, etc. I had no idea resin was so toxic to work with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder if you could use full three-axis printing to avoid the jaggies on the edges of the part.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jabor posted:

I wonder if you could use full three-axis printing to avoid the jaggies on the edges of the part.

I mean, all 3d printing is 3-axis, but I assume you mean like a robot arm with full 3d movement and a print head on the end?

I mean, you could, but a: the slicing sofware would have to be SUPER weird given that you'd be building it from the inside out rather than the bottom up and b: that doesn't really exist I don't think and c: it would probably cost more than an SLS printer if it did.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean, all 3d printing is 3-axis, but I assume you mean like a robot arm with full 3d movement and a print head on the end?

I mean, you could, but a: the slicing sofware would have to be SUPER weird given that you'd be building it from the inside out rather than the bottom up and b: that doesn't really exist I don't think and c: it would probably cost more than an SLS printer if it did.

I mean like this: https://youtu.be/gmePlcU0TRw

Your typical 3d printing is like, 2.5 axis - you lay down a 2d layer, step up one step, repeat. But the stepper motors on your machine probably have much finer z-axis control than that, so if you're willing to hack gcode a bit you can print angled surfaces (subject to limits on not crashing the print head into the stuff you've already printed).

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Oh I just got the entry-level Monoprice Select v2. But it's sufficient for cool Gloomhaven stuff like this chest.... Which is uploading rotated for some reason.

One of my gaming buddies has a resin printer because he's deep into minis. It sounds kiiiiinda scary to deal with. Like, gloves to handle the material, extreme ventilation, weird precautions before handling, etc. I had no idea resin was so toxic to work with.

Eh it’s really not bad once you have a good workflow. The results are worth the gloves and mask and cleanup.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jabor posted:

I mean like this: https://youtu.be/gmePlcU0TRw

Your typical 3d printing is like, 2.5 axis - you lay down a 2d layer, step up one step, repeat. But the stepper motors on your machine probably have much finer z-axis control than that, so if you're willing to hack gcode a bit you can print angled surfaces (subject to limits on not crashing the print head into the stuff you've already printed).

Most of those little lumps are about the size of a 28mm mini's entire face. This would probably give acceptable fidelity for like... 100mm minis to not look like garbage tho.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm really looking to start a regular game but I was curious about everyone's opinion here about the minimum/ideal number of players to regularly have to make this worthwhile.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm really looking to start a regular game but I was curious about everyone's opinion here about the minimum/ideal number of players to regularly have to make this worthwhile.

It works fine for 2 players. Hell, it's probably worth it at 1.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

Our group has really irregular players. It just means that different days we have different group compositions. It causes no problems whatsoever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ideal is 4 but it's designed so well that 1 2 or 3 wotk just fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that the optimal number is 4 but people seem to have fun with anywhere from 1 to 6 players with custom house rules to make that work. The game is also already designed around having characters that aren't all the same level anyway so irregular players are okay!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
We play with 2 but it makes it where you have to have your roles be more well defined and each of us are expected to do enough dps and heals to carry themselves early. Once you unlock some of the classes and retire some characters, it's much easier to be flexible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thank you all. I appreciate it!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is a problem with going over 4 active players in a campaign in that the item lists and player attack modifier decks become more complicated over time and are annoying to deal with.

However, the game's really good at 2 players and just gets better up to 4

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can use the monster modifier deck for player 5.

Doesn't solve the issues with items though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I think I’ve had the most fun at 3 players, but I also regularly play with 2-4 and it’s a great experience at any number. I like 3 a lot because it’s slightly less dependent on team composition (poo poo, Cthulhu and spellweaver this week?) but still has the challenge of more monsters and a few elites, but you also get turns more often than with 4. I guess my 4th player has almost always been a less experienced board gamer who takes longer on their turns though, so that might bias me a bit...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

2 players is fine but several classes are severely restricted/underpowered when you play with that many. Wish I had more friends so I could play those specialized/support classes without just making a worse version of another class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The balance for 2P is slightly off with regard to viable parties and certain campaign goals.

On the other hand I've played 50+ scenarios with 2P and have every intention of picking up Subtitle and Frosthaven to play more.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

sirtommygunn posted:

2 players is fine but several classes are severely restricted/underpowered when you play with that many. Wish I had more friends so I could play those specialized/support classes without just making a worse version of another class.

You can play 2 characters each!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People commonly cite the saw as being bad at 2P, but I cant think of a class that would have more of a disproportionate impact on the game at that count

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Control Volume posted:

People commonly cite the saw as being bad at 2P, but I cant think of a class that would have more of a disproportionate impact on the game at that count

My wife loves saw at 2p. It basically doubles my longevity.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Control Volume posted:

That's because they think Saw is a support class, when it's really a debuffing ball-crusher with a side helping of support.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Kalli posted:

There is a problem with going over 4 active players in a campaign in that the item lists and player attack modifier decks become more complicated over time and are annoying to deal with.

However, the game's really good at 2 players and just gets better up to 4

Our group has about ~7 semi-regular players and we just all share the same 4 player characters so there's no deck switching involved. Tends to work pretty well. We play if we can hit a quorum of 3, and usually do a double-header so we can accommodate up to 8 if we want over the course of the afternoon (though 4-5 per day has been typical). Though we give top priority to the people who haven't played in the longest, there has never been a time I needed to sit one out.

The only house rule I've felt like I've needed so far is to make card selections at level-up not fixed (because different people might like to play the character in different ways). Everybody needs to play a legal hand that could have been the result of levels but that can change every time a new person picks up the deck. Item purchases, enhancements, perks, and event outcomes are still permanent to the character (though we have a list of enhancements ideas for each unlocked class that the whole group likes, and prefer people to pick from that list).

The major downside is kind of the same as the major upside: the experience of the classes is wide but shallow. I've played 5 different classes so far in 3+ missions out of 22 scenarios completed, where the typical experience might have been to play 1-2 over that time. I like that variety, but understand that I'm probably not as good as I would be otherwise (though we generally squeak by and haven't actually had a tko yet).

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is it just me or does Music Note level up SUPER fast? It makes sense since you gain at least 1 exp every turn with your song up, I’m already a couple levels ahead of everyone else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is it just me or does Music Note level up SUPER fast? It makes sense since you gain at least 1 exp every turn with your song up, I’m already a couple levels ahead of everyone else.

In one scenario we realized we had failed but I alone as music note had a bunch of turns left. I decided to see how much xp I could get and ended up with 44xp on a failed mission. It's insane.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

You can play 2 characters each!

My friend doesn't want to. :smith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah that's a common experience.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You see, its a balancing mechanism to make sure you play on a harder difficulty

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Control Volume posted:

You see, its a balancing mechanism to make sure you play on a harder difficulty

That, and classes in Gloomhaven tend to be on an advancement spectrum of money to XP. Music Note is just really weighted towards XP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

That, and classes in Gloomhaven tend to be on an advancement spectrum of money to XP. Music Note is just really weighted towards XP.

Goes for perks as well, since some classes / builds rely far more on their modifier decks than others (Music Note being an example where the damage build is utterly reliant on a good set of perks while a more support role is not)

It does mean there are balance issues for PQs though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lol the music note got the two-mini quest where you needed to kill 20 different enemies and we all went "huh?? How long is it going to take this class to do this?" The answer was 7 scenarios. Im guessing a lot of people go through a similar mental journey with that class where they realize just how ridiculous the basic attacks are. Oh and naturally they went from level 4 to 9 in that time lmfao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is also why Music Note is insane with the summoning items

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I loved Music Note when I started, but after the first dozen scenarios, upgrading the bottom of that card, filling out a bunch of perks and getting the solo scenario item, I just wanted to nerf the class. Just so ridiculously overpowered in a 4 person group. We were just sleepwalking through level 7 difficulty.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I refused to get solo scenario items after seeing what the three spears gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As our group’s munchkin, when I opened three spears I was like nah, I can’t be trusted with this.

I gave it to my mom and she still snapped the game over her knee.