Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the sequel trilogy just arent very interesting which seems to have been by design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ungulateman posted:

it's kind of important that the jedi and sith call their superiors 'master'

It’s creepy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Daddy Skywalker

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Daddy Skywalker

Papa Decksetter

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anakin would have lived a happier life as a slave/race car driver on Tattooine than he did as a soldier for the Jedi. He would have one day bought his freedom, gone into local politics, and guillotined every Hutt in the outer rim with his son C3P0 at his side.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

Anakin would have lived a happier life as a slave/race car driver on Tattooine than he did as a soldier for the Jedi. He would have one day bought his freedom, gone into local politics, and guillotined every Hutt in the outer rim with his son C3P0 at his side.

Or ended up dead in a Pod Racing accident at 13. Turn Left Anakin, the crowd shouts before before placing a shroud of morning on their limited edition Skywalker Plasteel Plates

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Barudak posted:

I think the sequel trilogy just arent very interesting which seems to have been by design

ROS has had such a negative reaction because it finally introduces the interesting ideas that were missing from the previous films. It took five hours of runtime, on top of roughly a decade of rampant hype-fed speculation, just to finally establish a decent premise. For most, that’s obviously too little too late. People are burnt out.

But, as I wrote before, you can just skip 7 & 8. The story works better that way - and that was the entire joke of calling Star Wars “Episode 4”, back before the prequels were invented. Lines like “there’ll be no escape for the princess this time” imply that we’ve skipped over Leia’s first three boring adventures and gone straight to the real conflict.

So, jumping directly to 9: Instead of the expected New Republic, killing Palpatine paved the way for an extremely advanced droid to take over the Galaxy. In the film’s inciting incident, the computer-man’s highly efficient Galactic infrastructure is hacked into and commandeered by grody space bikers, who discover that the droid’s creator was... Palpatine?? Still alive?!

Meanwhile, Leia has gotten ahold of a forbidden Jedi training manual & is teaching an absurdly powerful (but unstable) young orphan a slew of absurd new techniques. But as the techniques grow more advanced, the girl’s sense of reality begins to crumble and dissolve....

The only issue is that the series didn’t begin here. We instead had two whole movies setting up things that can be conveyed in a handful of minutes.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

feedmyleg posted:

They don't know the answer to that question because they have nothing planned out. What do you expect them to say?

No one is ever really gone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish Star Wars had some established way to relay information that happened before the film you're about to watch

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Aside from his personal failings vis a vis being a space racist Qui-gon's two biggest gently caress ups are agreeing to work as a political tool for Chancellor Valorum (and thereby escalating the Naboo conflict) and not working to free the slaves after being told by his messiah that he's expected to do that.

As to how? He's a powerful warrior wizard with connections with the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Council, two of the most powerful organizations in the galaxy. He could lobby those organizations, or recruit help from within them. He could stay on Tatooine and promote the cause of the slaves in street corners, he could lead an uprising, he could do what Mat Cauthon suggested and attempt to slaughter every slaveholder personally. This is not to deny that "ending slavery" is a hell of a loving task, but he was in a position to at least make an attempt.

Instead, Qui-gon cheats at dice to win possession of the messiah. So not only doesn't he (try to) free the slaves, he doesn't even set Anakin free.

He could have just did what his drat master did and just leave the Jedi order to go off on his own. The precedent is already there, Count Dooku decided to just go back to his planet and take his family title instead of following that doofy religion (from the knowledge they had at the time), so once the Jedi are like "no, we won't train our messiah," he could have just hosed off back to Tatooine and trained him on his own instead of dragging him along on Jedi political poo poo. Then he could have used the "living force" to see that slaves needed help and actually did more good than chasing Space Devil around and getting himself stabbed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like to think Snoke is just like Naboo slang for Droid and Sidious knows the whole galaxy is dumb as hell so he can keep laughing about it.

Another scene I just remembered was the brief sequence of Rey in the outrigger sailing on waves to the death star 2(? Seriously there may as well have only been one in this continuity) which exists to show you that sailing there is indeed hard but doesnt actually last long enough or show any consequence to establish anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

He could have just did what his drat master did and just leave the Jedi order to go off on his own. The precedent is already there, Count Dooku decided to just go back to his planet and take his family title instead of following that doofy religion (from the knowledge they had at the time), so once the Jedi are like "no, we won't train our messiah," he could have just hosed off back to Tatooine and trained him on his own instead of dragging him along on Jedi political poo poo. Then he could have used the "living force" to see that slaves needed help and actually did more good than chasing Space Devil around and getting himself stabbed.

I was about to post basically this. Like Qui-Gon is a powerful warrior magic man, and is backed up by the Jedi counsel and therefore also THE REPUBLIC. Negotiating with Watto and all this gambling stuff? Like why is he even saying anything to Watto other than You willingly buy and own slaves, if you set them free there is a slight chance that I won't murder you because you willingly buy and own slaves. I mean I know that goes against the Jedi code or whatever but poo poo, gently caress slavery. It was a weird feeling when I saw the movie in theaters, like, is this the same Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon we just saw kicking rear end half an hour ago? Like the slow setting in of like, okay, we're really hanging out on Tatooine for a big chunk of the movie then?

And sure it's intentional to show how useless the Republic is and how ineffective their concepts of peace and justice are and all that, but it felt bizarre to establish how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan roll and then have them in that position.

I don't know, I wish they kept the oldest oldest (like early Testament of the Whills old) concept of the Anakin equivalent in that (I think he was named Mace Windy at that point lol) being set on the initial path to hatred because of his being enslaved by Watto. His first ever experience where he consciously uses the force instead of it being an instinct was to use the force to remove his collar and then strangle Watto with it. The origin of the force choke Vader loves so much whenever anyone tells him no.

The pod race itself is a great scene by itself though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its to establish the Jedi profit from and participate in a debased status quo and that the poisoned fruit of a poisoned tree gets them in the end.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

I was about to post basically this. Like Qui-Gon is a powerful warrior magic man, and is backed up by the Jedi counsel and therefore also THE REPUBLIC. Negotiating with Watto and all this gambling stuff? Like why is he even saying anything to Watto other than You willingly buy and own slaves, if you set them free there is a slight chance that I won't murder you because you willingly buy and own slaves. I mean I know that goes against the Jedi code or whatever but poo poo, gently caress slavery. It was a weird feeling when I saw the movie in theaters, like, is this the same Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon we just saw kicking rear end half an hour ago?

The guys that get chased off a ship and then chased off a planet?

If Watto's got one destroyer droid rolling around the back of his shop they're hosed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sassassin posted:

If Watto's got one destroyer droid rolling around the back of his shop they're hosed.

Well yeah if you make a scenario where a thing doesn't work, it doesn't work.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Sorry everyone

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1215058164309164032?s=19

Also its hilarious how they keep having to clarify things after the fact. Like hey, did you know that Kylo is fighting Vader cultists at the start of the movie? That's a thing that's just there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

One of the things I saw as a weakness was the lack of a Han Solo character - a savvy but otherwise regular person who could serve as the audience's viewpoint.

However figure that Han Solo would approached it as "Okay Watto, you can hand over the kid and his mom, or I can blast you and take them anyway. FYI option 2 is getting more tempting by the second."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Sorry everyone

Also its hilarious how they keep having to clarify things after the fact. Like hey, did you know that Kylo is fighting Vader cultists at the start of the movie? That's a thing that's just there.

Why the gently caress is Nein Numb in an X Wing and Wedge was the Falcon's gunner

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
JJ doesn't know star wars he just knows of it

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

DrVenkman posted:

Sorry everyone

After hearing this last night I checked wookiepedia and not only is this official canon, the resistance blockade runner in that final battle (which apparently he was flying) not only got blowed up offscreen, it was supposedly the exact same ship as Leia's from Star Wars.

So the first ship ever shown in these movies, from the absolutely iconic opening, gets murked offscreen in the final battle.

I think Pablo has fallen to the dark side at this point

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm vaguely interested in that blockade runner's story now. Did the empire repair it and use it? Sell it at like a police auction? When the Republic took over did Leia see her old ship and want it back?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

2house2fly posted:

I'm vaguely interested in that blockade runner's story now. Did the empire repair it and use it? Sell it at like a police auction? When the Republic took over did Leia see her old ship and want it back?
Star Wars Episode X: God, I Hate Rock'n'Roll

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We all have our noses to the grindstone of capital at best, pablo has it all over his entire face destroying any semblance of what he once loved. So I'm glad he's just blatantly trying to see what he can get away with at this point

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've mostly stayed out of nu-Star Wars, and the weirdest thing about coming on the scene as a newbie is that there is apparently some guy called Pablo who wields complete narrative control of the Star Wars setting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The blockade runner was a very common model . Like YT-1300F light freighters. Very common.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh poo poo, I had no idea that Starkiller Base was Ilum. The Jedi Sorting Hat Caves are space dust now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

He's just the big name guy on a team of Star Wars Experts who in theory are in charge of making sure the canon is consistent across all star wars multimedia like books, games, toys, refrigerators, etc. etc. In reality this panel appears to have only advisory power which everyone ignores outside the domain of inserting trolling bullet points in the visual dictionary

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
JK Rowling is telling her fans that Dumbledore is gay and that wizards poo poo their pants outside of the books, and Star Wars is telling you obscure tertiary characters blowed up off screen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is Pablo a TERF?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

I've mostly stayed out of nu-Star Wars, and the weirdest thing about coming on the scene as a newbie is that there is apparently some guy called Pablo who wields complete narrative control of the Star Wars setting

This gets it backwards; the Star Wars setting has complete narrative control over some guy named Pablo.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I'm disappointed by the OT special editions, PT, and ST

OT SE: let's just paste over these award winning special effects.

PT: let's tell the story of the fall of Anakin Skywalker, something that's purposely mysterious because you can never truly know your dead absentee father. The explanation will never live up to your imagination.

ST: let's soft reboot with least amount of thoughtful writing and planning possible. $$$$$$$ You are a Palpatine

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everyone posted:

One of the things I saw as a weakness was the lack of a Han Solo character - a savvy but otherwise regular person who could serve as the audience's viewpoint.

That's Jar Jar.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

That's Jar Jar.

Nah he talks funny. He's not cool like debt-ridden drug-dealer deadbeat Han "Solo".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

crimedog posted:

PT: let's tell the story of the fall of Anakin Skywalker, something that's purposely mysterious because you can never truly know your dead absentee father. The explanation will never live up to your imagination.

But you can know yourself, a soon-to-be dead absentee father. It's your kids that are the mystery.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
They kill off Snap Wexley and Nien Numb? All these lovely deaths, even Admiral Ackbar of all people in TLJ.

Next thing you’re going to tell me Lobot died as a Y-Wing gunner who was stuck upside down in the seat.

I bet JJ asked if they could somehow get Jabba’s sail barge in there before someone reminded him it blew up in RotJ.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JJ actually believes that you don't care about nien nunb and do care about boolio

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Sometimes I wonder whether Ackbar's death was meant to provide real pathos or not

Also, god drat do I hate the scene where Kylo Ren and his two wingmen go on a tear through the resistance fleet and just blow up everything at will, completely unopposed. It's by far the worst space combat in the saga.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

Some of the reason that it feels weird is because of the emerging norm to refer to strangers by their first name. I think it's less weird that Pablo Hidalgo, seasoned creative executive at Lucasfilm, has complete narrative control of the Star Wars setting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

Sometimes I wonder whether Ackbar's death was meant to provide real pathos or not

How could it? It happens so fast and there's isn't even confirmation in the movie that it's actually Ackbar.

It's bizarre how they seem to think fans go crazy for that kind of fanservice.....but hey lets not actually include those characters in the plot and make them relevant to the story, naaaah a quick 3 second cameo should do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

piL posted:

Some of the reason that it feels weird is because of the emerging norm to refer to strangers by their first name. I think it's less weird that Pablo Hidalgo, seasoned creative executive at Lucasfilm, has complete narrative control of the Star Wars setting.

Pablo Hidalgo, seasoned creative executive at Lucasfilm, has next to no narrative control of the Star Wars setting, but he's an important bit player in a marketing gimmick established by Disney to assure fans that buying all the tie-in products would be even more important than ever before.