Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, the water stage of Ninjago city. :stare:
It's fun! I've actually had to build mine twice now and haven't goofed it, so hooray for that.

I'm so excited for you. Ninjago City is such a cool build, and so dynamic. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's been so long since I build an official set, I can barely remember what it's like.

My most memorable build was the Explorien Starship from back in the day, that beautiful white ship with its billion green antennae and its folding configurations. I remember how pretty much everything came together on one Technic rod trussing a two-stud-wide area in the middle.

My "friend" Peter came over one day, picked it up, promptly dropped it. I gathered the pieces together as best I could, but somehow the thing never came together quite right again, in that weak spot, and it was eternally in the folded position and I wasn't a clever enough lad to figure out a solution. So disassembled and into the common bin it went.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Speaking of stickers, am I crazy or did a version of the Maersk cargo ship (10241) have printed logos on all the containers?

That sticker sheet is depressing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Feenix posted:

I'm not condemning anyone's tastes, but I just cannot see anything nice about that ISS. Maybe its just the pics but it looks chintzy and uninteresting.

I kind of feel the same way. I love lego and space, but that set looks kind of lame.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

pzy posted:

Speaking of stickers, am I crazy or did a version of the Maersk cargo ship (10241) have printed logos on all the containers?

That sticker sheet is depressing

At least you can thank this set for being the nail in the coffin of the practice of applying stickers over multiple pieces. Nowadays, a sticker can only cover 1 piece, which is, at least, a huge improvement.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

I mentioned it before. That stage is one of the worst in any set. Fortunately, everything after is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked doing the water even if it was a bit tedious. It’s cool how they simulate deep and shallow areas. It’s a pain making sure you don’t gently caress it up though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought I had a couple of times, but it just turned out I couldn’t count! :imunfunny:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I liked doing the water even if it was a bit tedious. It’s cool how they simulate deep and shallow areas. It’s a pain making sure you don’t gently caress it up though.

To make it interesting, I made sure all the tiles were lined up in the same way. You can see the printing through the top so all that was facing the same direction. :woop:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think I’ll look into getting a lighting kit for Ninjago City, as they look pretty rad.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The soccer stadium looks like a cool finished model, but there is like no way I would want to actually build it. The ISS seems hokey and uninspired.

To contribute something of less dubious substance, finished the 89 Batmobile this past weekend. Amazing build, start to finish. The way they created some of those connections and reproduced the angles was bonkers. The entire back panel that uses two ball connectors to attach to 4 lined up clips? How the gently caress does that even work? A+.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

To make it interesting, I made sure all the tiles were lined up in the same way. You can see the printing through the top so all that was facing the same direction. :woop:

Lol I did the same, but not for fun. That type of stuff triggers my LEGO ocd hardcore.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

I think I’ll look into getting a lighting kit for Ninjago City, as they look pretty rad.

I used one on a modified (completely enclosed) Gingerbread house this christmas, and it looked absolutely awesome, especially with the translucent "glitter" blocks (no idea what they are "officially" called) in the windows.

I used lightstaxx, which worked very well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's going on with the Brickvault guys? They barely make content anymore and when they do it's usually just their custom sets. Is the bottom falling out of Lego youtube so much?

I know Jang is struggling with COPPA and revenue, and he's putting out half the content he used to. Hell, he barely reviews the bigger sets anymore.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PriorMarcus posted:

What's going on with the Brickvault guys? They barely make content anymore and when they do it's usually just their custom sets. Is the bottom falling out of Lego youtube so much?

I know Jang is struggling with COPPA and revenue, and he's putting out half the content he used to. Hell, he barely reviews the bigger sets anymore.

Jang put out another coppa video that said the changes he made were catastrophic to his channel, so he's gone back to the drawing board. So I'd say yes the bottom has fallen out.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUVvQk7XLd4

Another great lego experiment, with parts list this time too

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Just built the new Ferrari and Audi. They are both much nicer than previous models of speed champions. 8 wide makes them look much better. Only issue is Ferrari windscreen doesn't fit with drivers hair on. I do like that the Audi is much taller than the Ferrari. Also the steering wheel is slightly offset. They need a new piece to fix that issue. Now to get my hands on a bunch of the new windscreens in order to fix all the old 6 wide cars. I do like having side by side minifigs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are extra parts common? 75249 seems to have a few extra parts that aren’t accounted for in the instructions. I hope I didn’t miss something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Are extra parts common? 75249 seems to have a few extra parts that aren’t accounted for in the instructions. I hope I didn’t miss something.

If they are small parts, like 1x1s, then yes. parts bags are filled by weight and they add in extras of tiny pieces to make sure they are in there.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Naylenas posted:

Just got the drat bucket wheel excavator for a late Christmas present. I have no idea where to start

I would suggest putting it back in the box and sending it to me. I want that one SOOOO bad.

Built my Audi rally car last night, holy crap I love it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

I would suggest putting it back in the box and sending it to me. I want that one SOOOO bad.

Built my Audi rally car last night, holy crap I love it.

You can buy mine, NIB.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Anyone know where to get the Audi in Australia? Target, Kmart, myer, David Jones and big w don’t have it on their sites. I went in store at Northland in Melbourne but none of them had any speed champions stuff at all which was really weird.

Metro hobbies have it listed on their site but not in stock yet.

I could order it from Lego but I’m not paying 1/3 the cost in shipping

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Granite Octopus posted:

Anyone know where to get the Audi in Australia? Target, Kmart, myer, David Jones and big w don’t have it on their sites. I went in store at Northland in Melbourne but none of them had any speed champions stuff at all which was really weird.

Metro hobbies have it listed on their site but not in stock yet.

I could order it from Lego but I’m not paying 1/3 the cost in shipping

These guys have it next month apparently

https://imrickjamesbricks.com.au/products/lego-1985-audi-sport-quattro-s1-76897?_pos=1&_sid=19ad75c44&_ss=r&variant=31219045302366

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Delta Lancia when

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should get some stands or something to put it in a cooler pose.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Dogen posted:

Delta Lancia when

:hmmyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was picking up a prescription at walgreens and happened to walk past the toy aisle and just couldn't say no.

jorts crew :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MarxCarl posted:

Mega Construx Castle Greyskull is on Walmart for 129.97, for those interested. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mega-Construx-Probuilder-Masters-of-the-Universe-Castle-Greyskull/521981514

It's been that price on Amazon for a couple of weeks. It's probably not done falling.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
What was up with the Stingrays? Were they cyborgs, or aliens, or Innsmouth people, or just ugly motherfuckers?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ineptitude posted:

I get releasing a Football stadium but a specific one like that?
Football fans are some of the most fanatic people in the sports fan world and Manchester United is very much a love it or hate it team.
Anyone that would consider themselves a football fan and at the same time not being a ManU supporter would not touch that set with a 10 foot pole.
And people that do NOT care about football are probably not in the market for a 4000 piece set?

Its not like Lego is an American company and does not know these things so i have no idea whats going on with that stadium set.

Manchester United is arguably the most popular sports team in the entire world

Their jerseys have ads for Chevrolet. Chevrolet does not sell cars in England

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

That’s very false.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MURICAN CARS FOR MURICA ONLY

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think it is probably fair to say it is not a very common brand of car in the UK, though my girlfriend did drive one at one point. It was Red and as a die-hard Man City supporter she never stopped complaining about how driving a Red Chevrolet made her look.

It seems weirder to me that they would release a 4000 pc Stadium of a team that has spent the last few years seemingly falling from grace in the UK. I only follow football peripherally and my understanding was that the Manchester United of today is a shadow of its former self. I remember in the 1990's growing up in Blackpool that EVERYONE supported Manchester United, it was almost a craze like POGS or something. It would be news to me that the team is still so lauded worldwide, given what I have come to understand about its reputation within the UK currently.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

SkeletonHero posted:

What was up with the Stingrays? Were they cyborgs, or aliens, or Innsmouth people, or just ugly motherfuckers?

I don't know if they ever explain but I like the idea that they're cross bred with Deep Ones and the Atlantis line is about humans discovering the Deep Ones and their temples to Dagon and Hydra.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno posted:

And to top it off Manchester United cars drive on the wrong side of the road.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

SkeletonHero posted:

Dunno, but that's one thing I actually really liked about the old themes - there was little if any backstory so everything was left to the imagination.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I don't know if they ever explain but I like the idea that they're cross bred with Deep Ones and the Atlantis line is about humans discovering the Deep Ones and their temples to Dagon and Hydra.

That sounds as good a story as any! Atlantis even had a dude with a stingray head.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hi, I'm Sam Porter Bridges!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Manchester United is arguably the most popular sports team in the entire world

Chevrolet bought Daewoo quite a while ago and rebranded all their cars as Chevrolet in the UK

Also, football teams having ads for products squarely aimed at the international market is nothing remarkable, there's chinese betting companies on some other Premier League team kits and advertising hoardings

Also fun fact, the Chevrolet suit who approved the Man Utd deal got fired for it because they massively overpaid relative to the actual value of the shirt sponsorship

mitochondritom posted:

It seems weirder to me that they would release a 4000 pc Stadium of a team that has spent the last few years seemingly falling from grace in the UK... Manchester United of today is a shadow of its former self... news to me that the team is still so lauded worldwide

While it is thankfully true that they are hilariously poo poo now and lurching from one bad manager to another, in the greater context they're still one of the top teams in the most watched league in the world and their 20 years of success came at the same time as the league was being aggressively marketed abroad and as such they still have a legion of foreign plastic fans. They aggressively court marketing deals abroad to cement this income stream, down to having official Indonesian noodle partners and Chinese paint companies and all kinds of dumb poo poo.

For a lego set I guess it makes sense, as I don't think their target market are the actively United hating Brits (me), rather the fans from the rest of the world. That said putting a Man Utd badge on your Facebook and occasionally watching a game at a bar doesn't translate into wanting to spend the €300+ it looks like that stadium model will cost

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hey cool! Didn’t realize the forums had a lego thread until I went hunting for a laser cutting thread in DIY. I just got back into Legos for the first time in 20 years after seeing the Saturn V set at an Apollo exhibition a few months ago, and fell down the rabbithole after getting my childhood collection from my parents. Now I’ve got enough new sets built I’m trying to figure out the best way to display everything and add trains... wish Lego would re-release the monorail or one of the third party brick makers would make a set.

The_Doctor posted:

I just finished this set and yeah, that was pretty onerous.

You’re probably done, but I had good luck placing the lillies first and filling in between them so I didn’t have to look at the instructions for everything. The pattern makes sense when you have a few markers to go off. Otherwise, I love having Kowloon walled city, it very much embodies everything I think lego to be! Now I just need to figure out how to add LEDs... what do you guys do? Thinking of adding a small arduino board and neopixels to cycle colors and stuff, but I’m probably better off not adding another project to my list and just getting something out of the box...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

You’re probably done

The water stage, yes. So many more to go!

quote:

Now I just need to figure out how to add LEDs... what do you guys do?

You can buy set-specific kits off AliExpress! Like this one!