Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

The_Doctor posted:

The water stage, yes. So many more to go!

You can buy set-specific kits off AliExpress! Like this one!

How much disassembly does it require to put one of those things in and hide the wiring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have the Saturn V, and I just saw this over in coupons/deals.

I jokingly posted that I'd buy 6 of them and build a gantry for the Saturn V, but now I'm seeing that I could probably do it in 3.
This is a dumb idea that I shouldn't do, correct?

Edit:VV Thanks.

xzzy posted:

Yes, because you could buy the necessary parts cheaper on bricklink.

You could buy 50 of those red lattice pieces for $63, and the set comes with 6 of them.

I ended up picking up one copy of the set and then ordered additional parts from Bricklink.

I still have a little bit of fine tuning to do with it, but it worked out pretty well and looks better than just displaying the Saturn V with no tower.

I'm considering doing something similar with the space shuttle as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cojawfee posted:

You can buy mine, NIB.

Unfortunately wanting is not having - there would be severe spousal abuse involved if I brought that home.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

OSU_Matthew posted:

wish Lego would re-release the monorail or one of the third party brick makers would make a set.

They're not sets exactly, but there's a company called 4D Brix that does 3D printed monorail, including a whole bunch of parts that Lego never made. I'm not sure they're much cheaper than just buying actual Lego monorail second-hand though.

Speaking of actual Lego monorail, Lego has never made money off any monorail set as they were so expensive to make. It's been 25 years since the last one and I wouldn't hold my breath for more any time soon.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I remember the electric train being almost $400cdn in 1993 (false memory?) and knowing even then to not even bother asking for one

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-sold-one-new-car-in-the-united-kingdom-last-m-1822760506

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

What happens when someone buys a corvette in England? Does the chevy factory fart out a right hand drive corvette or do they just change out the lights to make it legal in the UK and ship it over LHD?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

They're not sets exactly, but there's a company called 4D Brix that does 3D printed monorail, including a whole bunch of parts that Lego never made. I'm not sure they're much cheaper than just buying actual Lego monorail second-hand though.

Speaking of actual Lego monorail, Lego has never made money off any monorail set as they were so expensive to make. It's been 25 years since the last one and I wouldn't hold my breath for more any time soon.

Interesting! The tracks look great and very well thought out, but it’s too bad they’re 3d printed and not molded.... I may try seeing if I can find models to print them myself if that’s the case. Might even try elevating train track as well, that might be the way to go, or make a subway with some bricks and custom plywood tables. I just wanna cram as much into a small space as I can and train tracks just have such a stupid large curve radius.

The_Doctor posted:

The water stage, yes. So many more to go!
You can buy set-specific kits off AliExpress! Like this one!
Oh cool, thanks! I might have to order one to see how they do lighted bricks... I think a custom solution might be more economical for the scale I eventually want to accomplish, but it might be good to see how a custom built set recommends running wires and powering everything. So many cool details in the Ninjago City that are lost without interior illumination

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just got the new catalog. Apparently Spider-Man has a mech-suit, a helicopter, a jet, and two motorcycles. What the gently caress? He's Spider-Man, he doesn't need that poo poo.

I'm very mad about children's toys. <:mad:>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He has a buggy in the comics!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The buggy’s possessed/evil if I remember right

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

I'm very mad about children's toys. <:mad:>

The cat is sold out. I didn't realize it went on sale on the 1st. I thought it was w/ the Chinese New year stuff. Which is all on backorder already. :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

He has a buggy in the comics!

Is that thing swinging around above the streets, too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Of course you have to get the Chinese new year set in order to get a teal brick separator.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Interesting! The tracks look great and very well thought out, but it’s too bad they’re 3d printed and not molded.... I may try seeing if I can find models to print them myself if that’s the case. Might even try elevating train track as well, that might be the way to go, or make a subway with some bricks and custom plywood tables. I just wanna cram as much into a small space as I can and train tracks just have such a stupid large curve radius.

To be fair, good molds for plastic cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (especially for parts as big as monorail track, hence why Lego doesn't make them anymore) so I can understand doing 3D printing for niche stuff.

For what you want, it sounds like roller coaster track could be worth looking into. That's much smaller than train track and people have done monorails and that kind of thing with them, for example: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=BL19003-1#T=P

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Cojawfee posted:

Of course you have to get the Chinese new year set in order to get a teal brick separator.

I got one in the Stark jet.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I found this guide on how that Saturn V display with the smoke and lighting was made: https://imgur.com/gallery/aQ9FJtm

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

To be fair, good molds for plastic cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (especially for parts as big as monorail track, hence why Lego doesn't make them anymore) so I can understand doing 3D printing for niche stuff.

For what you want, it sounds like roller coaster track could be worth looking into. That's much smaller than train track and people have done monorails and that kind of thing with them, for example: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=BL19003-1#T=P
The gray track is apparently available on LUGBulk, too, if you are ready to slip eeeven deeeeper into this hobby. Our lug bought a shitton of it to add a "monorail" to the city layout.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

drat, I didn't know that. My LUG is gearing up for this year's Lugbulk at the moment so I'll have to get some if I can.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly, I’ve got 2 slightly different shades of gold studs in Ninjago City.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I’ve never heard of LUGs before and google shows that there’s one stupid close to me... you guys rock, I’m going to check out their next meeting!

Whelp, that’s a permanent addition to my bricklink cart till the next pay cycle

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

MaliciousOnion posted:

I found this guide on how that Saturn V display with the smoke and lighting was made: https://imgur.com/gallery/aQ9FJtm

This rules. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since you guys keep bringing up train track, if anyone is interested in a fuckton of 9v train track lmk because I'm going to sell a big lot of it. I think it was over 100 segments when I counted. Bunch of straight track and a controller as well as 2 junctions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Since you guys keep bringing up train track, if anyone is interested in a fuckton of 9v train track lmk because I'm going to sell a big lot of it. I think it was over 100 segments when I counted. Bunch of straight track and a controller as well as 2 junctions.

Keep talking... what we’re you thinking price wise?

Potentially interested since I have one of the older train sets and am interested in eventually extending that.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yo following a tip and shamelessly cross-posting my SA Mart thread here, hopefully that is okay. I'm trying to move 29.6 lbs of LEGO at bulk prices. Some are bagged up with instructions (not original bags), others are in boxes, some are in grocery bags, but they're all LEGO.

Here's what I wrote about them in the thread:

quote:

PLEASE SEE THE ALBUM FOR ALL THE RANDOM LEGO PICTURES (Including two tied up grocery store bags that just have random assortments of bricks, minifigs, etc):

https://imgur.com/gallery/IT2N7vZ

Lego: I don’t trust that any of these box sets are actually complete, though I have a lot of instruction manuals and all of the pieces in separate bags, I can’t confirm that what’s in the ziplocks are actually all of the pieces.

So as such, I’d like to sell them as just a giant bulk lot, I have 29.6 lbs of lego, not counting the containers, boxes, or booklets. I see pounds on ebay, amazon, and etsy going from 10-$15 each pound. I’d be happier at a MUCH lower rate, but you’d have to buy them all. Shoot me an offer here or in PMs and we’ll talk.

I'm also entertaining the idea of splitting them up to sell them in 5 lots of 6 lbs, but I wouldn't be taking requests there, and would probably try to charge a higher rate than what I was proposing for the whole thing. If you're interested, please pm me or post in that thread.

Thanks!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Still waiting on 3 more parts orders, but... it begins!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I envy those of you with time to Lego.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I envy those of you with money to Lego.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I envy those of you with space to Lego.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I envy those of you that make MOCs that aren't grey and blue space ships.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking about going through my Lego and making some moc

I have old rear end Castle, old space/futron, original pirates, blacktron and space police 1 and 2, M Tron, ice planet, and a few assorted newer things

Are there any newer-than-that parts that are cheap to bulk and amazing/ must-have for mocs?

Stuff that changes the stud direction, etc?

Thanks, thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I envy people who don’t bury their entire living space in LEGO

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I envy people who don’t bury their entire living space in LEGO

Me: I'm running out of space to display my lego
The responsible part of my brain: Maybe you shouldn't buy so much?
Me: No! It's too fun to build!
Brain: Then maybe you should put away some of the old sets?
Me: No, then it's like I wasted that money if it just sits in a closet!
That impulsive part of my brain: Hey, maybe we should get into modulars

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I have old rear end Castle, old space/futron, original pirates, blacktron and space police 1 and 2, M Tron, ice planet, and a few assorted newer things

Are there any newer-than-that parts that are cheap to bulk and amazing/ must-have for mocs?

Thanks, thread

You have to be careful with classic space because they changed the shade of "light grey."

Yes, there are many new parts out there. But use them with old light grey and the old bricks will look like a smoker owned them. But other than that, bulk light grey on bricklink is super cheap because of all the star wars sets.

If you're just starting out with modernizing, I would make these a priority:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/search.page?q=bracket#T=A

Most useful type of part lego has come out with this century!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The Bloop posted:

Thanks, thread
Modern SNOT (Studs Not On Top) parts are incredible, especially stuff from the past few years.

With a collection that old, you're certain to have a number of Travis bricks, which (along with the headlight brick) is basically the original SNOT brick. It has a few newer variants:

87087 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Stud on 1 Side
47905 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides, Opposite
26604 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides, Adjacent

You probably also have plenty of the original bracket piece, and there are now a lot of variations on that guy. I'll list some in approximately least to most useful order:

93274 Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 4
44728 Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2
99207 Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2 Inverted
99781 Bracket 1 x 2 - 1 x 2
99780 Bracket 1 x 2 - 1 x 2 Inverted
36841Bracket 1 x 1 - 1 x 1
36840 Bracket 1 x 1 - 1 x 1 Inverted

There's also 41682 Bracket 2 x 2 - 1 x 2 Centered, a really helpful new part from last year that doesn't really fit the above.

20482 Tile, Round 1 x 1 with Bar and Pin Holder is also kind of an awesome piece for stud inversion, especially since you can attach a vertical clip plate to it and have a complete stud inversion with a footprint of only 1 x 2 x 2/3.

What else? Uhh, for clip and bar connections, these guys are great:

32828 Bar 1L with 1 x 1 Round Plate with Hollow Stud
26047 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 Rounded with Handle
11090 Bar Holder with Clip
23443 Bar Holder with Handle

I am positive I am missing a ton, too. Wait, are you familiar with this guy? I don't know how new your newer stuff is.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Some other rad parts:

32952 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 x 1 2/3 with Studs on 1 Side
35480 Plate, Modified 1 x 2 Rounded with 2 Open Studs
85861 Plate, Round 1 x 1 with Open Stud
85861 Plate, Modified 1 x 3 with 2 Studs (Double Jumper)
99206 Plate, Modified 2 x 2 x 2/3 with 2 Studs on Side

Also, new rounded tile shapes:

98138 Tile, Round 1 x 1
23269 Tile, Round 1 x 1 Quarter
24246 Tile, Modified 1 x 1 Half Circle Extended (Stadium)
27925 Tile, Round Corner 2 x 2 Macaroni
27507 Tile, Round Corner 4 x 4 Macaroni Wide

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Thanks, thread

That's the kind of stuff I love and most of the MOCs I make at the moment are old Space themed ones.

As xzzy mentioned, they changed the shade of grey in 2004. There's the old ones (light grey/dark grey) and the new ones (light bluish grey/dark bluish grey). There's a lot of cool parts that only exist in one shade or the other, and because of that personally I don't care about mixing them up in a model. That said, they can look a bit weird if you put them side-by-side so I avoid that if I can.

I think most of the cool new parts have been covered, but yeah, any kind of bracket or brick with studs on the side (and there's a lot of them!) are fantastic for MOCs.
I'll also add any kind of curved slope and the cheese slopes (1x1 and 1x2) as they are fantastic detailing parts and usually really cheap

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 15, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the infodump so far, goons. That's great stuff and yeah some of that is pretty mindblowing. My most impressive stuff was done with hinges and this thing:

directional studs have come a long way

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Don't forget this fella, it's been around for a while:

When I was a kid it was mostly used to create moving parts, like spaceship canopies and doors. Recently, I've noticed its variant with the 2x2 top is used a lot more often as a fixed angle piece, usually with a 2x1 wedge underneath to create the angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I am in the process of sorting out what remains of my old Lego from the early 1980s, and can confirm there are lots of hinges, headlight bricks, and so on.

Only found one goddamn tree though. And none of my original base plates are still here.