Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Morbi mentioned that one thing that really sapped their motivation (I don't remember them actually saying they hated making comics) was that their hard drive crashed and so the original full resolution versions of the first few chapters were lost, resulting in making so that they would have to redo the art of the first few chapters if they ever wanted to physically publish it

note to aspiring comics artists: google drive is free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

note to everyone whose data preservation plan is "hope my hard drive doesn't die": google drive is free

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I'm still gonna do comics, but I'm going to stick to like, either gag strips or manageable one-shots for the foreseeable future. I'm not even going to consider doing anything that would push past 150 pages for a while, at least not by myself.
Part of the reason I let Poppy balloon so much in scale was that I really wasn't expecting to commit to it past the first 25 pages or for it to gain an audience at all, which is also why I didn't make any real push to monetize it until people asked me to make a patreon.
Anyway, hindsight's 20/20, your first work has to stumble so your next one can run, all that. You better believe I'm going to cannibalize all of the cool poo poo I didn't get to use in Poppy and stick them in other things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Morbi mentioned that one thing that really sapped their motivation (I don't remember them actually saying they hated making comics) was that their hard drive crashed and so the original full resolution versions of the first few chapters were lost, resulting in making so that they would have to redo the art of the first few chapters if they ever wanted to physically publish it

gently caress it, throw it in Waifu2X and call it a day, that poo poo's magic.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

MikeJF posted:

gently caress it, throw it in Waifu2X and call it a day, that poo poo's magic.

Oh what the gently caress you aren't kidding
It's not exactly having the original PSD files, but drat, guess I gotta dedicate an afternoon to converting all my old pages

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
QC once again poking the dystopian bear.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I dunno why Roko is so angry, I want to do stuff all the time and my body doesn't let me. Like putting in eyedrops, or going to sleep, or not being gripped by existential panic at random intervals. Hers is at least tuned to be productive! :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, we've got hazard protection. All the adrenaline stories you hear are the obvious, but even beyond that there's simple things like the fact that a human could pretty easily bite through one of our fingers at full force, but a limiter kicks in and sets a maximum bite force if we ever tried.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Keep in mind that it's also new to her, as her old model body presumably didn't have the stuff.
Imagine waking up one day and finding out you cannot control your body as fully as you used to? With some external control placed upon you? That's loving terrifying.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, she's still dealing with the mental fallout of feeling like it's not really her body. This is not helping.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So was my Poppy theory that Twee Darling had some kind of shadowy intangibility power correct?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Dr Christmas posted:

So was my Poppy theory that Twee Darling had some kind of shadowy intangibility power correct?

Twee's Lucky Star was the classic "always lucky" powerset taken to an extreme in that, in a setting in which many worlds interpretation is in effect, timelines in which she is hurt or fails at something cannot be produced. Fantomet calls Twee "a brat who can't be touched" because she only knows how to discipline through force, which obviously doesn't work on her.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Morbi posted:

Twee's Lucky Star was the classic "always lucky" powerset taken to an extreme in that, in a setting in which many worlds interpretation is in effect, timelines in which she is hurt or fails at something cannot be produced. Fantomet calls Twee "a brat who can't be touched" because she only knows how to discipline through force, which obviously doesn't work on her.
Does this mean that Twee is the most powerful character in the setting, or can she still fail at stuff that's, like, physically impossible for her to accomplish?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

PetraCore posted:

Does this mean that Twee is the most powerful character in the setting, or can she still fail at stuff that's, like, physically impossible for her to accomplish?

The upper limit of ways the universe will bend over backwards to provide improbable opportunities for her to exploit is high (ex: if you detonated an unstoppable nuclear explosive right next to her, she would be saved by getting caught in a teleportation spell gone wildly off-target). There was even one bit of dialogue where a character theorized that if she were to run full force at a wall, the universe may have responded by having every single atom in her body simultaneously quantum tunnel past it in perfect formation rather than let her get hurt, which is, to put it simply, "not especially likely."
But if something is actually 100% physically impossible for her to do, that will usually be resolved by her simply not wanting to do it. She's actually cognizant of the fact that her agency is directly limited by the nature of her power, which gives her a unique viewpoint on the "Fate v. Free Will" dichotomy the story was building up to.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MechaCrash posted:

Yeah, she's still dealing with the mental fallout of feeling like it's not really her body. This is not helping.

It's just a toaster. Its problems could be fixed with a software update that stopped those "feelings". If the writer wanted to tell a story about human problems, he should use characters that are human.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's just a toaster. Its problems could be fixed with a software update that stopped those "feelings". If the writer wanted to tell a story about human problems, he should use characters that are human.

he actually had the deus ex machina robot say that they could do that, but decided it'd be wrong to change how a mind works

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cat Mattress posted:

he actually had the deus ex machina robot say that they could do that, but decided it'd be wrong to change how a mind works

Is fixing bad coding immoral in QC world?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

It's also canon that AI sentience is an emergent property and cannot normally be tuned. Which is why May "i could have been a fighter jet" can even exist and why AI jails are a thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

What's the point of reading something if you don't want to engage with the basic premises.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If Humanity ever does create true AI there's no way that we don't impart our horniness to our creation. Also probably our dumbass-ness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

habeasdorkus posted:

If Humanity ever does create true AI there's no way that we don't impart our horniness to our creation. Also probably our dumbass-ness.

Humanity has created true emergent AI, and they're all monstrous sociopaths.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ChubbyChecker posted:

If you don’t like sci fi, you can just say so

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I feel like "examining the human condition by reflecting it off a non-human" is sci-fi 101

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

ah, an anti-medication (anti-therapy?) parable

"Charles Stross talks Roko's Basilisk" is the tubgirl of words

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 14, 2020

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Morbi posted:

The upper limit of ways the universe will bend over backwards to provide improbable opportunities for her to exploit is high (ex: if you detonated an unstoppable nuclear explosive right next to her, she would be saved by getting caught in a teleportation spell gone wildly off-target). There was even one bit of dialogue where a character theorized that if she were to run full force at a wall, the universe may have responded by having every single atom in her body simultaneously quantum tunnel past it in perfect formation rather than let her get hurt, which is, to put it simply, "not especially likely."
But if something is actually 100% physically impossible for her to do, that will usually be resolved by her simply not wanting to do it. She's actually cognizant of the fact that her agency is directly limited by the nature of her power, which gives her a unique viewpoint on the "Fate v. Free Will" dichotomy the story was building up to.

I'm just imagining Alia from the end of Dune but it's Twee yelling that she's the kwitzach haderach and the Reverend Mother is Fantomet. This amuses me.

Also Morbi please add that reply-tweet about Poda playing Chicadino playing Poda that I linked in my last post to the twitter Moment, it seems a mildly worthwhile plot note that's hidden

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Archenteron posted:

Also Morbi please add that reply-tweet about Poda playing Chicadino playing Poda that I linked in my last post to the twitter Moment, it seems a mildly worthwhile plot note that's hidden

Oh yeah thanks
Some of the reply chains slipped past my attention while I was compiling it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"Charles Stross talks Roko's Basilisk" is the tubgirl of words

To be fair, he's correct that Roko's Basilisk is an idiotic concept that's essentially Pascal's Wager for hipster tech bros.

Huh, I even remember reading this and I forgot about it. It's an interesting argument, but IMO falls apart when you can consider that any organized mass of humaniuty is different only in degree and form. It's not like major business entities didn't exist during the Roman era, or that many of his points about a corporation would apply to the Catholic Church.

e: or, y'know, every form of government ever.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 14, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

habeasdorkus posted:

many of his points about a corporation would apply to the Catholic Church.

e: or, y'know, every form of government ever.

They absolutely do apply to churches and states.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

He also has a very ‘history was static until the moderns’ take at the beginning which just immediately turned me off. Every era saw change.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

He also has a very ‘history was static until the moderns’ take at the beginning which just immediately turned me off. Every era saw change.

This is very off topic, so please forgive me- but one very, very small time writer that comments at Charlie's place does a pretty good job grappling with some of those issues about people in a fantasy setting- Graydon Saunders. He's got a serious ax to grind re: Amazon's publishing platform, so the only real way to get his books is via Google Play, but it's really damned good and I feel like I need to evangelize him since he's so small time. I got to proofread for his most recent book, which is just about to come out and which is very, very good. The series starts with The March North.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

Side note, this is why I always laugh when fantasy stories talk about hundreds of thousands of years of peace.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

ah, an anti-medication (anti-therapy?) parable

I don't think it was meant to be anti-medication or anti-therapy, because that's a level of direct manipulation that does not currently have a parallel for humans. The given reason is that it's such a gross violation of the sanctity of the mind ("gross" here being used in its scale sense, not disgusting sense, although it can do some double duty here) that Spooky Cluster AI absolutely refuses to do it because that's one of the few principles they holds themselves to, because if Spooky Cluster AI doesn't hold themselves accountable, who will? Who can?

But I suspect there's also a bit of "and here's why this character, who I intend to have stick around, isn't just magically fixing Roko's massive mental issues, despite a demonstrated ability to do so." And I think Jeph is taking some meds himself so I don't think he'd be on the anti-medication train.

Plus there's Bubbles, who is an example of why having someone gently caress with your mind in order to smooth over problems may not turn out the way you'd hope. (For those recently joining us: Bubbles the combat AI had PTSD, she asked to have the relevant memories partitioned off and encrypted, the problem is that this was done by an unethical rear end in a top hat who used the key as leverage, except it turns out WHOOPS she hosed up and deleted them and now those memories Bubbles had are just gone so now she has different problems.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, Jeph from past statements is not at all a fan of the anti-med/therapy posse. Much, much more the case that Spookybot needs some self-constraints to avoid becoming AM.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

ah, an anti-medication (anti-therapy?)

Not directly altering the mind seems more like;
Try medication and therapy instead of frivolous brain surgery.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it'd be a lot easier to sympathize/give a poo poo about this whole body-dysmorphia-trauma-whatever character arc if Roko's new body actually looked different from her old one. I mean, it kiiiinda does, but only in the way that every character does due to shifting art style over time.

Also this thread has just taught me about the concept of Roko['s] Basilisk and it's not actually a kind of creative original name but rather a reference (and not even a clever veiled one) to some dumb bullshit.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 15, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TwoPair posted:

I think it'd be a lot easier to sympathize/give a poo poo about this whole body-dysmorphia-trauma-whatever character arc if Roko's new body actually looked different from her old one. I mean, it kiiiinda does, but only in the way that every character does due to shifting art style over time.

Also this thread has just taught me about the concept of Roko['s] Basilisk and it's not actually a kind of creative original name but rather a reference (and not even a clever veiled one) to some dumb bullshit.

Complain about QC writing all you want it's not exactly high art but the entire point is that the differences are tiny and nearly imperceptible to anyone except her.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A surprise showed up in one of my (many many) unpruned, non-updating RSS feeds. Kukuburi updated. It was last updated, according to the news post, 8 years and 4 days ago. The author didn't expand on the absence beyond "life happened". I barely remember anything about the comic.

I think this is the longest I've ever seen a comic go on hiatus and actually return. Usually their hosting breaks down after a few years, then they get squatted on by a Japanese blogger or a domain reseller.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Speaking of things on hiatus, does anyone know what's going on with The Sisters? It's been on break since finishing a book in August.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On Monster Pulse...well now, they have been building to this for a while, but this is one way to have a literal heart to heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Just want to say thanks to whoever referenced Latchkey Kingdom in this thread, it was a charming discovery.

It has a lot of the idiosyncracies webcomics often have (the very unnecessary Xmas storylines stand out there) but it has a lot of heart, charming art, and honestly I could use some extremely webcomics content sometimes. It's on my read list now.