Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

Those are all some really good points. The table saw does seem like it can do a ton of different things, but I actually had an opportunity to try some of the exact things you mentioned (ripping long/sheet goods, wide cross-cuts, shaving to sneak up on a fit) and it was incredibly awkward. A variety of sleds / guides / feed tables could make it easier, but in all cases I'd probably have been better off with either a miter/chop saw or a track/band saw.

E: haha Google just recommended this to me, which actually seems like a stunning argument against the "use a table saw for everything!" mentality

https://www.manmadediy.com/how-to-use-your-table-saw-as-a-planer

:stare:

MANmadeDIY for MEN who refer to sawdust as MANglitter. And do dumb poo poo with table saws. Table saws are really pretty safe if you don’t do dumb poo poo with them. Someone posted a tablesaw as face jointer rig here a few months ago and it was :psyduck: I guess there’s no liability as a YouTube content creator if people mail themselves following your advice and maim themselves?

A marginally less dangerous (but still fairly dangerous) planer is to get a surface planing bit for a drill press. It’s like a fly cutter for wood, only with more kickback and fingat slicing potential.

That being said drill presses are awesome and I don’t know where I would be without one. The ability to reliably make a hole square to a surface at a consistent depth is very useful. It’s a mortiser and a doweller and a spindle sander and a planer and a hole driller! My old boss’s old boss always said the three most essential woodworking tools were a bandsaw, a jointer, and a drill press, in that order.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

We don't get cold enough to get thick ice here often so when we do I like to make "art" sculptures with it and then it melts and disappears, its great! No clean up required. If you want to see someone do it really well in my opinion look up the fella's ice art I mentioned in the post you quoted
Post ice sculpture pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
:what: A drill press as a planer is a horrible idea.

Also a jointer is probably the last machine to get, there are so many other ways of getting straight edges on a board. I'd put the list at table saw, thickness planer, bandsaw. But it really all depends on what kind of woodworking your doing.

75% of woodworking is figuring out how to make a cut with the tools on hand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Woodworking is two‐thirds measuring.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

JEEVES420 posted:

I've seen bits like that in guitar repair/luthier supply catalogs. I could see it maybe making sense in that context, where you are trying to get precise thicknesses of small pieces. Still seems like a lot of "unprotected spinny choppy bits" to me, though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Woodworking is two-thirds two-fifths measuring.
Fixed that for you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A marginally less dangerous (but still fairly dangerous) planer is to get a surface planing bit for a drill press. It’s like a fly cutter for wood, only with more kickback and fingat slicing potential.

Strictly speaking it's like a face mill for wood but let's not accidentally summon the metalworkers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drill presses aren’t intended to take much in the way of non‐axial loads.

That’s the weak point, so keep it in kind.

Use a bit of modest size, go slowly, and stick to soft materials.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 12, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Drill presses aren’t intended to take much in the way of radial loads.

That’s the weak point, so keep it in kind.

Use a bit of modest size, go slowly, and stick to soft materials.

Wait are we still talking about drill presses?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

I've seen bits like that in guitar repair/luthier supply catalogs. I could see it maybe making sense in that context, where you are trying to get precise thicknesses of small pieces. Still seems like a lot of "unprotected spinny choppy bits" to me, though.
Yeah that’s the only place I’ve really seen them used, especially for making the back of the headstock parallel to the front of the headstock and they do little stuff like that very well. I think with a jig to hold the work on the table it might not feel too terrifying, but as others mentioned aren’t it is putting a load on the tool it’s not really designed to take. An overarm pin router would probably be the right/safer machine for the job (and many others!) but now we’ve had to buy yet another specialized machine, where the drill press can do it occasionally and probably suffer no harm.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Forgetting the best part about that is the name safe-t-planer
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Planes/StewMac_Safe-T-Planer.html

My dad said they used to make one that would mount on radial arm saws as well if the drill press is just too safe for your particular blood lust.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Woodworking is two‐thirds measuring.

"Nominal" two-thirds :pseudo:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

We don't get cold enough to get thick ice here often so when we do I like to make "art" sculptures with it and then it melts and disappears, its great! No clean up required. If you want to see someone do it really well in my opinion look up the fella's ice art I mentioned in the post you quoted

I didn't even see that. I thought you wanted to liberate the fish or summat Let mah Frozen Fishies Fly Free :shrug:

JEEVES420 posted:

Also a jointer is probably the last machine to get, there are so many other ways of getting straight edges on a board. I'd put the list at table saw, thickness planer, bandsaw. But it really all depends on what kind of woodworking your doing.

Straight & clean, fella. Anyone who glues up boards fresh ripped and say their table saw cleans it up good enough to glue up a panel, well I got some scorn for that.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 12, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Strictly speaking it's like a face mill for wood but let's not accidentally summon the metalworkers.

CNC spoilboard bits. They are face mill bits for wood.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Straight & clean, fella. Anyone who glues up boards fresh ripped and say their table saw cleans it up good enough to glue up a panel, well I got some scorn for that.

But that's exactly how it's done :confused:
1. Run a board edge and face through jointer
2. Run opposite face through planer
3. Run opposite edge through *table saw
4. Marvel at you perfectly squared up board

*A proper cabinet saw, not an underpowered jobsite saw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

But that's exactly how it's done :confused:
1. Run a board edge and face through jointer
2. Run opposite face through planer
3. Run opposite edge through *table saw
4. Marvel at you perfectly squared up board

These days my process is more like:

1. Buy only boards without visible twist
2. Run board through thickness planer (both sides)
3. Use hand plane to flatten and square one edge
4. Measure board minimum width, mark it off.
5. Plane to the markings on the other edge.

It's slow, sure, but my volume is low enough that it doesn't really matter.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Sorry guys I infected the tread with Grandpa wood working chat

Can someone please remind me what color of cordless drill is the best to get us back on track?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What's your favorite color? I don't think there's a significant difference in build quality (at least not for drills), so either stick with a system you already have batteries for, or choose a system based on it having tools you think you'll buy in the future.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is a benchtop jointer worth it? If so, recommendations?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hubis posted:

Can someone please remind me what color of cordless drill is the best to get us back on track?

Red.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Ferrule posted:

Red. Yellow.

FTFY

EDIT: whatever you have batteries for.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Is a benchtop jointer worth it? If so, recommendations?

Shorter the bed harder it is to get a flat even surface, especially on longer boards. But you trade off shop space and price for that. Rikon is one of the few benchtop that offer helical heads.

You can generally find a decently priced used 6" long bed jointer on craigslist if your patient.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

JEEVES420 posted:

Shorter the bed harder it is to get a flat even surface, especially on longer boards. But you trade off shop space and price for that. Rikon is one of the few benchtop that offer helical heads.

You can generally find a decently priced used 6" long bed jointer on craigslist if your patient.

I'll check out the Rikon. Unfortunately I live in a pretty rural area so I doubt I'll come across anything but I'll certainly check it out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hubis posted:

Hitachi Green (NO Ryobi puke green)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

~Coxy posted:

Hitachi Green (NO Ryobi puke green)

Surely you meant Festool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Black, like everything

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

Ahh, Money Green.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

taqueso posted:

Black, like everything

This is the only objectively wrong answer to that question

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Transparent tools with RGB when??

e: actually I bet it's really soon, the people that grew up with rgb computers are buying tools now

Razer Deathdriver 4000

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
How about some CNC'd House Joinery:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7J9ksuhNEo/?igshid=1nkzg79folj87

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ferrule posted:

Festool must have been paying 'This Old House' for product placement for a while recently, and I would always laugh when Tom would bust out that pathetic Festool 564274 CXS drill/driver. It sounded like it had serious trouble trying to drive even the smallest screws, and it looks like, and probably has the same torque as, a 5 year old's toy drill.

That Fez-Stool driver is $300, and it has 1/3 of the max torque of the base-model Milwaukee M12 drill/driver that retails for less than $100. You could probably grab a $30 Black and Decker drill at Walmart that would beat the pants off that thing: Junk for people with more money than sense (like SnapOn power tools.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

Junk for people with more money than sense (like SnapOn power tools.)

I don't think you understand snap-on's business model. They are a finance company, not a tool company.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand snap-on's business model. They are a finance company, not a tool company.

Hey, that’s Sears’ gig.

Oh no. Snap‐On is doomed. :ohdear:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B-Nasty posted:

Festool: Junk for people with more money than sense (like SnapOn power tools.)

Have you tried their sanders out?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Have you tried their sanders out?

I admit that I have not, but I highly doubt they deserve the huge premium they price at compared to a top-of-the-line blue/red/yellow model. For lithium battery tools, there is no comparison to the high-end brushless models from the usual guys. TTI vs. Stanley/BD vs Bosch vs Makita competition has really delivered some amazing tools for reasonable prices.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B-Nasty posted:

I admit that I have not, but I highly doubt they deserve the huge premium they price at compared to a top-of-the-line blue/red/yellow model. For lithium battery tools, there is no comparison to the high-end brushless models from the usual guys. TTI vs. Stanley/BD vs Bosch vs Makita competition has really delivered some amazing tools for reasonable prices.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that I'm just extremely interested in their vibration dampening features which is supposedly leagues better than any of the usual suspects

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Their Sanders and paper are miles above. If I had a couple Grand to waste I'd get a dust collector and orbital Sanders. The dust collection, anti vibration, and sheer control of the sander make several hours on the tool a breeze.

Festool battery powered tools are poo poo though

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Are orbital sanders improved over the past decade? I've been using a 10+ year old craftsman for my current project and I have to take breaks every 10 - 15 minutes. I've been thinking about upgrading but wasn't sure if the returns would be worth it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I found a huge difference when I switched to Abranet abrasives and backing pads for woodworking. It made my old R/O sander work better, and the dust control is so much better. I bought a Fein vacuum recently, along with the best-in-reasonably-priced-class corded Bosch sander for some upcoming projects. Abranet really makes a difference, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I picked up a 48" box level yesterday but having used it once now I'm like why the hell doesn't this thing have a ruler on it like my 24"? Looking at HD's website none of the ones in store yesterday had a ruler but this one does:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kapro-48-in-Exodus-Professional-Box-Level-with-45-Vial-and-Ruler-770-42-48/303636595

Going to order it shipped to store and return the old one. But my wallet is downstairs so I'll do it tomorrow, ~12 hours to tell me how it's actually a terrible idea or whatever for reasons I haven't thought of.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I picked up a 48" box level yesterday but having used it once now I'm like why the hell doesn't this thing have a ruler on it like my 24"? Looking at HD's website none of the ones in store yesterday had a ruler but this one does:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kapro-48-in-Exodus-Professional-Box-Level-with-45-Vial-and-Ruler-770-42-48/303636595

Going to order it shipped to store and return the old one. But my wallet is downstairs so I'll do it tomorrow, ~12 hours to tell me how it's actually a terrible idea or whatever for reasons I haven't thought of.

Call the store before ordering and verify that you can exchange it. HD online storefront is a completely different company than the brick and mortar stores. They will ship it to the store but that is about as far as the stores involvement with the transaction goes.

FWIW if the item is not on the shelf at a local HD I will not buy it from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Call the store before ordering and verify that you can exchange it. HD online storefront is a completely different company than the brick and mortar stores. They will ship it to the store but that is about as far as the stores involvement with the transaction goes.

FWIW if the item is not on the shelf at a local HD I will not buy it from them.

Ah I wasn't too concerned with being able to exchange it since it's all credit card purchases for me so it'd wash out all the same by time the CC statement comes out. But that's a good heads up regardless.

I hadn't thought to look elsewhere figuring a box level would be expensive to ship but turns out amazon has it for the same price so guess I'll give my money to that billionaire instead :v: