Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's one thing I'll give the sequels, you do get more of a sense that there's force behind their swings and the impact of blade on blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Fight sequences literally are the modern equivalent of elaborate music & dance scenes (which says a lot about modern American culture–but I digress). So I don't mind any of what's in the video, part of fight choreography is the illusion of a fight anyway. I am not watching a film looking at the exact trajectory of a lightsaber swing, unfortunately–take this as evidence of my lesser brain. This is why I can't bring myself to get worked up about the missing knife in TLJ.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
there was a knife in TLJ? and it was missing?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But then, “A New Hope” now specifically refers to Padme’s radical act of suicide and to the emergence of Vader.

They copied this for Leia, but made her suicide entirely orthodox.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

J_RBG posted:

Fight sequences literally are the modern equivalent of elaborate music & dance scenes (which says a lot about modern American culture–but I digress). So I don't mind any of what's in the video, part of fight choreography is the illusion of a fight anyway. I am not watching a film looking at the exact trajectory of a lightsaber swing, unfortunately–take this as evidence of my lesser brain. This is why I can't bring myself to get worked up about the missing knife in TLJ.
If you're into kung fu film you can tell the difference between people who aren't even throwing punches like they're trying to hit each other and the ones who are really good at it. The kung fu in Fist of Legend isn't realistic by any measure, but they look like they're trying to hit each other. (And at that level, when you make a mistake, you get hit.) Expecting that from actors who aren't martial arts masters is unrealistic, though. I'd be pleased to see a Marvel movie where they don't cut away on every hit.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

there was a knife in TLJ? and it was missing?

Rey and Kylos throne room vs. Red mooks one of them splits his weapon into two knives then Rey blocks one overhead but the second knife disappears because she'd be hella dead.

It's honestly not that noticeable but kinda dumb when you see it.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 15, 2020

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A 100 per cent realistic sword fight would be boring to actually watch. I know as I’ve been in several irl

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

sponges posted:

A 100 per cent realistic sword fight would be boring to actually watch. I know as I’ve been in several irl

I enjoyed Brianne dunking on what's her faces brother during the duel at the younger baratheons camp in GoT, and that was relatively realistic as far as sword fights go.

But it's not star warsy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everyone bags on the original Vader/Obi-Wan fight because its not fast and furious but it's honestly probably the most realistic because for one thing I believe they are using actual kendo and fencing stances/techniques but more importantly they are keeping their distance and doing their best to keep the loving laser death blade from getting anywhere near them since it can burn off their flesh with a single touch.

The worst thing later Star Warses did was make people too nonchalant about light sabers. They should be impressive because they are so dangerous that anyone who isn't a jedi doesn't even risk using them for fear of burning their face and extremities off.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 15, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How old was Grampa Sheev when he made a kid. When did it happen in relation to movie events? Because Rey's parents are definitely younger than Anakin, more like the Luke/Leia generation for sure.

Palpatine on the streets, Sidious in the sheets?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I should watch Ryan vs Dorkman again...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It amazes me that C-3P0 survived all 9 movies. Invincible multilingual anxiety bot, is the true hero of the series, along with R2-D2. But I think C-3P0 takes top spot because he was created by a child out of junk.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Further to my previous question, did Palps have kid(s?) purely to set up this force-Being-John-Malkovich situation 50 years down the line, or what?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Further to my previous question, did Palps have kid(s?) purely to set up this force-Being-John-Malkovich situation 50 years down the line, or what?

I dunno but his history shows that he likes to set up situations that allow for multiple paths to his goal. Like when he manipulates the Trade Federation into blockading and invading Naboo, it ended up working out for him because it convinced Padme to support giving him emergency powers, but he probably figured the outcome would end up the same if the Federation had killed her during the invasion. He likes to set up these clusterfuck situations and then use whatever comes out of them for his own purposes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I said come in! posted:

It amazes me that C-3P0 survived all 9 movies. Invincible multilingual anxiety bot, is the true hero of the series, along with R2-D2. But I think C-3P0 takes top spot because he was created by a child out of junk.

When you take the films as a single narrative it's difficult not to see the droids as the joint protagonists.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1217541747774853120

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guy A. Person posted:

Everyone bags on the original Vader/Obi-Wan fight because its not fast and furious but it's honestly probably the most realistic because for one thing I believe they are using actual kendo and fencing stances/techniques but more importantly they are keeping their distance and doing their best to keep the loving laser death blade from getting anywhere near them since it can burn off their flesh with a single touch.

The worst thing later Star Warses did was make people too nonchalant about light sabers. They should be impressive because they are so dangerous that anyone who isn't a jedi doesn't even risk using them for fear of burning their face and extremities off.

The fight towards the end of Rebels (Obi Wan Vs Maul) is super minimalist and one of the best fights in the franchise and tells a lot of the characters stories.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I enjoy the way the lightsabers in Rebels are thinner, looking more like needles of light than overhead light tubes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

I should watch Ryan vs Dorkman again...

Wow, I remember watching those like 10 years ago. They really took it seriously. Releasing a DVD with behind the scenes stuff and a commentary track...

I’m assuming it’s embarrassing to watch as an adult

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

sponges posted:

Wow, I remember watching those like 10 years ago. They really took it seriously. Releasing a DVD with behind the scenes stuff and a commentary track...

I’m assuming it’s embarrassing to watch as an adult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KELSpAnAwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATMJ8JH1qo

That's entirely up to you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

The force is with him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sassassin posted:

The force is with him.

I always liked to imagine that R2-D2 was force sensitive because he spent so long around important Force stuff, but it makes more sense for C-3PO, who's been around Force stuff literally since he was created.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

This actually gives me a lot of appreciation for the choreography here, like how they used camera angles and such to make it look like Obi-Wan was ducking under a swing when he actually was to the side for instance, or having them do elaborate stumbles so they don't immediately stab Maul in the back.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol

I do think the RotS duel holds up much better though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive always really liked the prequels choreography even if it is unrealistic, because its energetic and makes great use of space. Compare to the saber battles in the OT which are all one sided curb stompings and in episode 4 and 6 relatively brief so Id say theyre good just in a different way some might find more satisfying. Hell the one fight in 4 a combatant literally gives up.

Then you have the sequel trilogy where they knew how to setup a a cool looking arena but in JJs case filmed it quite boringly and everyone looks just kind of tired and flailing and every one of them has to be a long battle because so important right guys and yet still has the worst excesses of the Prequels "Im not gonna kill you and instead make the worst attack possible while you dance badly" saber combat without any of the vibrancy that offset them in the prequels. TLJ whose fights are good for the most part has to remove a weapon from a combatant between shots because other wise it would make no sense how he doesnt kill Rey

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JJs two movies are by far the worst of the 9. He’s ... in between a hack and a competent director I guess. He cargo cults Spielberg and doesn’t trust his actors or the story and goes 700 mph

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He’s a competent enough director. He just shouldn’t write anything.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm so relieved that after all this time we can all simply agree that the sequel trilogy movies are the worst ones and they really hosed them up. We don't really have to care about the prequels or the originals -- it's the sequel trilogy that's the real enemy here.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

It pretty conclusively settles the question of style vs substance. The prequels had a coherent vision behind them even if the execution was flawed. The presentation of the sequels was amazing but in terms of narrative it was a confused, confusing mess.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

piratepilates posted:

I'm so relieved that after all this time we can all simply agree that the sequel trilogy movies are the worst ones and they really hosed them up. We don't really have to care about the prequels or the originals -- it's the sequel trilogy that's the real enemy here.

The prequels are a remarkably bold failure, while the JJ flicks are a baldfaced attempt to create the Star Warsiest Star Wars and in his typical fashion, mine it dry. The Last Jedi feels like a rumination on the OT, and independent of my own opinion I would take it on faith that it's good just because it makes misogynists angry. It led directly to getting what they really wanted (a corny storyline straight out of the EU) and hating that too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Skywalkers in flight
Afternoon delight

Leia in the Sky With Diamonds

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rise of Skywalker hit the 1 billion dollar mark today. It absolutely doesn't deserve it though, it deserves to be a financial flop. At least it won't surpass the Last Jedi. Even Solo was a better movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carnaticum posted:

It pretty conclusively settles the question of style vs substance. The prequels had a coherent vision behind them even if the execution was flawed. The presentation of the sequels was amazing but in terms of narrative it was a confused, confusing mess.

This isn't actually true though; style is the substance of a motion picture. The narrative of the sequels is largely bad due to the horrendous editing, whereas the prequels are very well-edited. The coherency of Lucas' "vision" is discernible in the coherency of the editing, and the editing is what helps the vision cohere into a final product. They're interrelated.

Also: the fact that the prequels have a very bold, identifiable style is obviously what generates a lot of the complaints. The sequels are much more anonymous.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This isn't actually true though; style is the substance of a motion picture. The narrative of the sequels is largely bad due to the horrendous editing, whereas the prequels are very well-edited. The coherency of Lucas' "vision" is discernible in the coherency of the editing, and the editing is what helps the vision cohere into a final product. They're interrelated.

It's interesting, yeah. I'm reminded of how stuff was cut out of the Obi-Wan and Anakin duel (a sequence where Obi-Wan fights with both sabers) and you can't really tell, beyond the fact that I think MacGregor is holding Anakin's saber in one shot. Meanwhile, you look at the sequels and it's really obvious how badly edited they were. Heaps of ADR, knives being digitally removed, whatever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's no longer necessary to hedge all praise of the prequels by disclaiming, as if by reflex, that all of the good things you're describing about them still aren't enough to make them good.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The prequels remind me of Eve Online. Hearing people talk about them and condense hours of tedium into an interesting-sounding story is far more enjoyable than actually experiencing them first hand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Rise of Skywalker hit the 1 billion dollar mark today. It absolutely doesn't deserve it though, it deserves to be a financial flop. At least it won't surpass the Last Jedi. Even Solo was a better movie.

Well at least we will probably get more Star Wars movies sooner rather than later

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Well at least we will probably get more Star Wars movies sooner rather than later

This is only a good thing if they move away from Skywalker poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This is only a good thing if they move away from Skywalker poo poo.

They will. Driver dead. Ridley doesn’t want do them anymore I don’t think. I don’t think Mark Hamil will get skinny again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Barudak posted:

Ive always really liked the prequels choreography even if it is unrealistic, because its energetic and makes great use of space. Compare to the saber battles in the OT which are all one sided curb stompings and in episode 4 and 6 relatively brief so Id say theyre good just in a different way some might find more satisfying. Hell the one fight in 4 a combatant literally gives up.

Going by the metric that a good action sequence tells a story, every OT saber fight is a goddamn Wagnerian opera not only compared to the other trilogies' but a lot of western fight sequences in general.