Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

kcroy posted:

For all that I've poo poo on GRRM for Wildcards and that it's based on a RPG, My favorite Clancy book was Red Storm Rising, which was based on game play sessions from Harpoon.

I never pictured Tom Clancy as a gamer. But I guess that's good my dad used to always read his books and he hated video games and rpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly i am kinda surprised they never pulled off a good GOT/ASoLaF game. the best i can think of is a mount and blade mod. they had a really meh DA type rpg i believe. i remember hearing rumors one of the big publishers had one in the works but its way to late now.

Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre is right there! Just make a game like set in the Blackfyre Rebellion!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

MonsieurChoc posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre is right there!

It kills me that isometric story-heavy TRPGs never really became a thing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Edit: oops, wrong thread.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

I never pictured Tom Clancy as a gamer. But I guess that's good my dad used to always read his books and he hated video games and rpgs.

Wasn't the videogame though, although It did get years later adaptations. The super-groggy cardboard chits, maps and rolled dice Harpoon.

I can totally see a still living/writing 2020 Clancy going nuts over Command: Modern Naval Air Operations though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre is right there! Just make a game like set in the Blackfyre Rebellion!

You already sorta have your wish, ASOIAF and FFT are both inspired by the War of the Roses.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
checking this thread is like driving past an ex-girlfriends house at 2 am and realizing she moved years ago.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[fred gwynne voice]

Oh that thread? That's the ol' GRRM thread. Folks don't go around there no more. Folks say it's haunted.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
He dead yet?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

He dead yet?

Naw he’s finishing the book this year get hype

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
We don't go to Grrmholm any more.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Guy A. Person posted:

Naw he’s finishing the book this year get hype

"The book"

You are not fooling me. :colbert:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Remember when he posted "the draft is coming" and it was about the NFL?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

"I have been writing up a storm!"
- Notablog posts probably

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Soysaucebeast posted:

I know there's a version of the last two combined called A Ball of Beasts. I keep meaning to re-read the series and finish with that, but I keep getting distracted before I get that far. Anyone know if that's any good?

For a second reading it works relatively well but the books were 'designed' to be read one after the other, the combined reading doesn't really make a huge difference and ultimately even as a combined novel it's only 2/3rd of a finished product.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

"I have been writing up a storm!"
- Notablog posts probably

Literally writes the phrase "up a storm" on a napkin as a single tear rolls down his cheek

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I maintain the plot beats make reasonable sense and you can see how they’d have to work in the books without the TV changes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are all of the got HBO sequels dead yet?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Are all of the got HBO sequels dead yet?

Yep.

Season 8 sucked so hard it killed an HBO original series, two GoT spin-offs, a Star War trilogy, an Amazon show, a Netflix show, a ComicCon panel, several websites, and all interest in harassing GRRM to finish the books.

No one has ever seen suck of that magnitude.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yep.

Season 8 sucked so hard it killed an HBO original series, two GoT spin-offs, a Star War trilogy, an Amazon show, a Netflix show, a ComicCon panel, several websites, and all interest in harassing GRRM to finish the books.

It is known

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Truly a masterpiece. It’s incredible really.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yep.

All those deaths and yet the GRRM still lives.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
No matter how great the plane ride is while in the air, it's always a lovely flight if you crash land at the end.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I maintain the plot beats make reasonable sense and you can see how they’d have to work in the books without the TV changes.

Oh definitely. But instead of feeling like a season of TV, it felt like running through checklist so all of the 'twists' fell completely flat and felt unearned. In 20 years when GRRM has died and Sanderson has finished the books, I'll still look forward to reading them, but that season of TV legit just killed any affection I had for the show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sanderson isn't finishing poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Fire and Blood prequel is still in production, season 8 has not killed everything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chaosapiant posted:

The Fire and Blood prequel is still in production, season 8 has not killed everything.

I'my hype for Velaryon.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sanderson isn't finishing poo poo.

To be fair, neither is GRRM.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah, i googled it after reading that post and apparently it's coming out in 2022.

Maybe you'll be able to create some nostalgia around the show, but what most people will remember is being pissed off at the ending.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

season 8 has not killed everything.

..yet.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

What is dead cannot die.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Witcher was good, and had Tits and Dragons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klungar posted:

The Witcher was good, and had Tits and Dragons.

witcher books Theres only the one dragon

games unless we see sasswhatever growing up

edit: wait the games aren't licensed, rip the second spoiler

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 14, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

hobbesmaster posted:

witcher books Theres only the one dragon

games unless we see sasswhatever growing up

edit: wait the games aren't licensed, rip the second spoiler

I’m talking show, I’ve only gotten through the two short story collections so far. I’ll take more tits over more dragons any day.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah, i googled it after reading that post and apparently it's coming out in 2022.

Maybe you'll be able to create some nostalgia around the show, but what most people will remember is being pissed off at the ending.

I like that some people will live with that disappointment everyday of their lives

Khaleesi was the 549th most popular name for newborn girls in 2018, while Arya was the 119th most popular name.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh definitely. But instead of feeling like a season of TV, it felt like running through checklist so all of the 'twists' fell completely flat and felt unearned. In 20 years when GRRM has died and Sanderson has finished the books, I'll still look forward to reading them, but that season of TV legit just killed any affection I had for the show.

So... Euron Greyjoy is a worldhopper, dragons are manifestations of Investiture similar to spren in the Stormlight books, and Varys actually gets all his information from Hoid (who disguises himself as Davos)?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gimmedaroot posted:

Best Vietnam vet fantasy author I've read Glen Cook's The Black Company series. Big influence on GRRM, not really a kids fantasy series, and based on Cook's platoon in Vietnam. And it was completed.

Honestly the Black Company books are very not good once you get past the Silver Spike, which cleanly wraps up the White Rose plotline. I think the first Taglios book is decent and then it goes off the rails because Cook leans way too heavily on the "Vietnam but with magic" analogies and then let's the whole Shadowlands/dimensional crossroads plot run way too long because he doesn't want to stop writing about his favorite characters.

The prequel book that came out recently was well written but hurts the series overall. If the people making the Black Company tv show are smart they'll just adapt the White Rose books and then either end it or figure out a new direction to go in. I get why he wants to revisit it but the Black Company is a series that benefits from some mystique; the more he fills in the backstory the weaker the main books become, mainly because he hasn't really improved as a writer in the intervening years.

Re: Wheel of Time - it's above average and influenced a lot of fantasy that came after it but there are some slogs and the dialogue/plotting never reaches GoT levels. There's no Ned Stark moment and no character as engaging as Tyrion, etc. But they're solid reads - I'm due for another re-read soon, especially with the adaptation on the way.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Re: Wheel of Time - it's above average and influenced a lot of fantasy that came after it but there are some slogs and the dialogue/plotting never reaches GoT levels. There's no Ned Stark moment and no character as engaging as Tyrion, etc. But they're solid reads - I'm due for another re-read soon, especially with the adaptation on the way.

WoT have some excellent and epic scenes, typically at the end of the books. For books in the middle part of the series, they could be a slog until the end and the explode in a massive epic ending, partly redeeming it.