Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TwoPair posted:

I mean, wasn't Yamcha too? I didn't read/watch much of OG DB but Yamcha did train with Roshi too, right?

I'm pretty sure he did, but it wasn't alongside Goku the way Krillin was, he showed up at Kame House later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah but Goku had left to do other things by that time.

Goku ultimately interacts very little with Yamcha.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
From Goku's perspective Yamcha is that one bandit he met as a kid that got dumped years ago by his oldest friend who is also a genius and a million times more useful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I doubt Goku like, hates Yamcha but it absolutely makes sense that he'd be the dude he'd be least likely to bring up at random. He at least had a cool tournament fight with Tien.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Manga leaks for tomorrow looking good: https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ch56Spoilers?src=hashtag_click

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh poo poo they actually did call the androids.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

On the one hand, I'm sure that most, if not all of these fights will do little if anything to advance the plot or even characterization, and that's bad.

But on the other hand, I'm down for some cool fights with the side characters who get little spotlight because that's fun and good and cool and a nice break from the Goku and Vegeta Show. You kind of can't overanalyze Dragon Ball the way you can more complex stories. Sometimes cool fights are all you need.

While I'm sure they'll all get to do one cool thing a piece, let's also hope whatever they do can also actually impact the plot and won't be what is essentially a filler battle from the movies.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

This Manga is way better than it has any right to.
OH wait, Yamcha is kicking rear end? They jumped the :same:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yamcha is back and doing stuff and honestly that's far more than I ever expected would actually happen. I am extremely happy right now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I finished the Sayian Saga. You know how, if you follow a game's development, a lot of features slowly get cut from a game as the developers start to focus on the core aspects and begin to cut ancillary factors that wouldn't improve the core gameplay loop? I feel like this game was designed the opposite.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is a pretty good compilation video. He has one about Goku too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_PVCo89oA

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All that said, I am enjoying this game but I think a lot of it comes from fandom.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

FighterZ is the only db game that I can say had great gameplay and is not just " good for a dragon ball game"

Kakarot just looks at boring from what I've seen

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Played it. Liked it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Ch. 56 up: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-56/chapter/19808?action=read

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Huh. Cool.
They mixed two Masenko into a giant Makkankosapo

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Using the androids to get around the guy's moro power draining abilities is a really smart move.

This keeps it up, this arc is gonna be one of the all time greats.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mangaplus link: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006174

God, I read it and I still can't believe it. Yamcha got to actually be cool! It's been so, so long!

And the rest of the chapter didn't disappoint either, between the really cool Gohan/Piccolo team-up that had them actually be smart, to the Androids appearing and being awesome as usual, all was great. Except Roshi but I've given up there.

Siegkrow posted:

Huh. Cool.
They mixed two Masenko into a giant Makkankosapo

Not quite. Piccolo used a Makankosappo there. Also, fun fact: this is not the first time we've seen this combination! It's a combo move in Supersonic Warriors 2 IIRC as well as a special move in Fusions, though used differently in both. Nonetheless, the name is identical, making this our second canonized game move after the Final Kamehameha.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
This reminds me how I still want that Goten and Trunks Park Rangers side-story.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Except Roshi but I've given up there.

Eh, he didn't really do anything except call them "babes." Now, if he decides to resort to being a creep in order to beat them, then I'll have given up. But maybe he'll be all business? Maybe???

Yeah, great chapter. I'm really, really hoping this will become the storyboards for a new movie/season of Super. It's a simple story, but that's not bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yamcha bragging about being one of Earth's greatest defenders and one of Earth's strongest human fighters (still technically true I guess) seemed like the most obvious setup for a punchline where he goes and immediately gets wrecked ever.

Cut to Yamcha winning a fight against 3 dudes and now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew about this series

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It's kinda nice to see the dragon ball earth to be in active direct danger, it's something we didn't really see much of in Super, outside of when Beerus first shows up, and even in that case, Beerus wasn't necessarily acting maliciously. He was basically just bored and sorta doing his job at the same time.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Please let Krillin win a fight..

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Anyone else thinks that Toyotaro hates Krillin?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like how Gohan and Piccolo systematically stripping away Seven-Three's advantages with planning and foresight does a better job of showing them to be the strategic fighters than anything that happened in the Tournament of Power

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

I like how Gohan and Piccolo systematically stripping away Seven-Three's advantages with planning and foresight does a better job of showing them to be the strategic fighters than anything that happened in the Tournament of Power

Yeah, seriously. This fight actually made me believe Gohan is an actually intelligent character, which the series tried and failed to sell before. Between an actual plan of action to counter the copying, the shield thing, and then the Androids to negate Moro's Ki stealing? That was one hell of a strategy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some Kakarot spoilers It was the Time Breakers again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, seriously. This fight actually made me believe Gohan is an actually intelligent character, which the series tried and failed to sell before. Between an actual plan of action to counter the copying, the shield thing, and then the Androids to negate Moro's Ki stealing? That was one hell of a strategy.

This is the first time Adult Gohan hasn't been written as a complete failson and actually demonstrates his informed qualities and I'm 100% here for it.

And god bless Toriyama/Toyotaro for actually giving us a 'Z Fighters hold down the fort/waiting for Goku' section of the arc, it seems like a no-brainer way of writing around the massive power differentials between Goku & Vegeta and literally everyone else, I don't know why they didn't try it sooner.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they literally did in BoG and RoF

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

they literally did in BoG and RoF

and of course saiyan saga

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gimme more of Gohan using his smarts

I really really want to see him pull one from his dad's book, charge a fake-out Kamehameha and just sock someone with a ki infused fist instead

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

honestly what i'd like is more stuff like early namek saga where characters have to be crafty and stealthy around villains that would crush them like a bug in a direct confrontation... but since that doesn't involve many fights we probably won't see something like that in modern dragon ball

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-20/voice-actor-brice-armstrong-passes-away-at-84/.155538

no more narrator voice we have come to know and love

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That's going to be missed.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Fuuuuuuck RIP “Next time on Dragon Ball Z!” :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Fuuuuuuck RIP “Next time on Dragon Ball Z!” :smith:

Different narrator. That one is Kyle Hebert and he's still goin strong.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Oops i missed that it was just dragon ball. Still he was the Ginyu i grew up with.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

As a basic, decent human being: it is truly sad that he has passed away and I understand he touched many of your hearts.

That said, as someone who grew up with the GOOD dub, aka, the Latino one? Meh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Different narrator. That one is Kyle Hebert and he's still goin strong.

to be fair, Kyle sound likes a more excited Brain

https://twitter.com/DBArtAndTidbits/status/1219273514068430848

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Siegkrow posted:

As a basic, decent human being: it is truly sad that he has passed away and I understand he touched many of your hearts.

That said, as someone who grew up with the GOOD dub, aka, the Latino one? Meh.

I grew up with the Latin American dub as well and I hold no love for any USA dub but I still think this is an incredibly lovely thing to say. Someone died, that goes way beyond this pitiful "dub good/bad" argument.