Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you're like me and constantly shift your base layout around, Minify Everything will make your life way easier. It does lead to the situation of raiders stealing your geothermal power plants, so be careful of that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It's so so good especially for reinstalling doors, or even walls when you made them out of something expensive like depleted uranium.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

It's so so good especially for reinstalling doors, or even walls when you made them out of something expensive like depleted uranium.

"depleted"

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Isn't the point of the life support system to keep patient alive with a missing vital organ? The liver failure continued up to 100% even with life support and I didnt have any time to do a surgery.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mammon Loves You posted:

Isn't the point of the life support system to keep patient alive with a missing vital organ? The liver failure continued up to 100% even with life support and I didnt have any time to do a surgery.

IIRC if you're using that and Death Rattle, the life support system only works if they're in an artificial coma.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Danaru posted:

If you're like me and constantly shift your base layout around, Minify Everything will make your life way easier. It does lead to the situation of raiders stealing your geothermal power plants, so be careful of that :v:

lmao amazing, do they try to make off with like, coolant towers from Rimatomics, too? :v:

Thanks for the suggestions all, a few things there I already run but a few I do not, so I will investigate!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

a flamebot drop pods into my kitchen, starts setting the wooden butchering table on fire, which causes it to set itself on fire, which causes its gastank to explode, drenching it in napalm, setting everything else in the room on fire and killing it.

I'm guessing here because all I saw was fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also want to plug the better walls and floors mod and it's sister mod extra walls and floors, they redo the tilesets into something much... crunchier. Rimworld has a nice clean look but it can get a little samey after a while.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, so I need MORE RACES in my game. So far I got Kirin foxgirls, the starwars races, Wa! Skeletons (I might drop this because their no eating fucks with caravan calculations), Android Tiers (no ++, I like my droids eating), and...

I dunno, I saw ogregirls and yokai demons on the last workshop scroll.

Also do you load races near the top of the load order or near the bottom?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They can still eat if you install ++, they just can also run off batteries. The fancy ones however will be quite unhappy if they don't eat because it's one of the main sources of joy. The crap ones still benefit because it'll give them inspirations if they're happy enough.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Ok, so I need MORE RACES in my game. So far I got Kirin foxgirls, the starwars races, Wa! Skeletons (I might drop this because their no eating fucks with caravan calculations), Android Tiers (no ++, I like my droids eating), and...

Lord of the Rings elves and dwarves, and whatever version of Beastman Tribes mixes the beastmen in with regular factions are my recommendations. Oh and Drow.

edit: In my experience the only things that need to go near the top are major overhauls like Psychology or dependencies like HugsLib, JecsTools, and Alien Races Framework. Otherwise the game should be fairly load order agnostic unless someone is doing dumb and bad things with their XML and C#.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 17, 2020

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

If you've never tried Rimatomics I really recommend it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Crimson Harvest posted:

If you've never tried Rimatomics I really recommend it.

Ok, I've had Rimatomics installed forever but I keep prioritizing my hotel and Dungeon Masters Lair. What is the basic just or loop of Rimatomics?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

Again, I will say Callistans, extremely vaguely furry dog people who are all night owls and have claws which can cause bleed on punch, but aren't super unbalanced. The same author makes a couple other race mods, namely space elves (Astoriel) and spce cat people (Trech cats), but neither of those add anything other than new races.

The Dragonian and Oni races are kind of interesting, but you will basically never see one that can do intellectual or skilled work, and clothes are hard to come by.

Ratkin is a nice one, adds a lot of furniture but also a lot of race specific clothes and weapons.

Filthy Orc Invasion was neat, but I'm not sure how well it works now. It adds a race of hostile Bloodthirsty Cannibals many of which are also Brawlers. Again though, only use exclusive weapons/clothes.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Ok, I've had Rimatomics installed forever but I keep prioritizing my hotel and Dungeon Masters Lair. What is the basic just or loop of Rimatomics?

You build a Rimatomics research table (this mod takes up a lot of real estate) that lets you spend silver on unlocking tech from the menu. Some of it is hierarchical and some isn't. It walks you through building a test reactor, a working basic reactor, and then lets you loose to choose from the menu what to work on. There's bigger and more efficient power generation options, offensive and defensive weapons, upgrade modules for a lot of the installations, etc. Processing spent uranium fuel rods into plutonium and depleted uranium gets you advanced nuclear fuel and ammunition for your super weapons.

Stacks well with Rimefeller, needs a lot of uranium, silver, and building materials so you're going to need a way to get all that.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

KirbyKhan posted:

Your what now?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Crimson Harvest posted:

You build a Rimatomics research table (this mod takes up a lot of real estate) that lets you spend silver on unlocking tech from the menu. Some of it is hierarchical and some isn't. It walks you through building a test reactor, a working basic reactor, and then lets you loose to choose from the menu what to work on.

If there's anything that I really love about Rimatomics it's that it comes with its own built in tutorial that you can't miss.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Oh it's nothing special. Just my combined rec room / drug lab. Stockpile zone is where the weed goes.

Just got done with this colony, furthest along the tech tree I ever made it to before fizzling out. Felt real good about the RimCuisine loop and especially alcohol as a cash crop multiplier.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh it's nothing special. Just my combined rec room / drug lab. Stockpile zone is where the weed goes.

Just got done with this colony, furthest along the tech tree I ever made it to before fizzling out. Felt real good about the RimCuisine loop and especially alcohol as a cash crop multiplier.

Here I was expecting a proper prison with slave labor but nope, just a whole lot of wood to ignite. :sigh:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

Here I was expecting a proper prison with slave labor but nope, just a whole lot of wood to ignite. :sigh:

Are you not seeing what appears to be a fully functional D&D game on that table?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I finally got the Probe power on my psychic, which let's her look into a prisoner's mind and find an outpost of theirs, but I sold all my prisoners and Randy is only sending Mechanoids and MiGo after me :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Are you not seeing what appears to be a fully functional D&D game on that table?

Yeah there's a mod that adds D&D and other tabletop games as recreation items lol. So you can play your nerd colony.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Warmachine posted:

Your make-believe will not survive the purity of fire. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

Your make-believe will not survive the purity of fire. :colbert:

I would toxx myself and say I'm going to start a new colony tonight and make it wood based out of spite, but we both know I'm way too lazy for that. I still have cleaning up my KSP modlist to do and... :effort:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I learned recently that hauling quadcopters are remarkably fire resistant and won't put themselves out, but will happily fly around your base bumping into things if they catch on fire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah there's a mod that adds D&D and other tabletop games as recreation items lol. So you can play your nerd colony.

My favorite is that it's in the guest building, so everyone who drops by for a beer or to do some trading or the like is clearly getting press-ganged into a one-shot session :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I figure that having half the group comprised of people who live on the other side of the mountain range and have to climb over the piles of killer robots and space pirates and toxic fallout to play the game is still gonna guarantee a better participation rate than most RPG groups.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I figure that having half the group comprised of people who live on the other side of the mountain range and have to climb over the piles of killer robots and space pirates and toxic fallout to play the game is still gonna guarantee a better participation rate than most RPG groups.

It's funny because it's true.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Danaru posted:

I finally got the Probe power on my psychic, which let's her look into a prisoner's mind and find an outpost of theirs, but I sold all my prisoners and Randy is only sending Mechanoids and MiGo after me :smith:

For what it's worth, the one time I used it, it spawned an item stash on literally every available tile within range.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OwlFancier posted:

Our caravan was beset by mechanoids with blades that can cut through pure rock. We lost all the animals, there was blood everywhere. The few of us that survived the ambush managed to retreat to safety. We are down to our last pemmican, and need to make the trek back soon to get back to our families before the harvest, or else they'll all starve come winter, so a moment of respite is greatly appreciated.

Oh nice is that Pathfinder?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

For what it's worth, the one time I used it, it spawned an item stash on literally every available tile within range.

Sounds fairly normal if you roll doubles.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
is it feasible to make a long corridor with a bunch of heaters to raise the temp to something ridiculous to kill off raiders?

new to the game and the raids are starting to get bigger than I have competent shooting dupes and trying to think of a way to deal with it without using all my components

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Heaters, not really practical for that and they'd likely get targeted by the spare raiders to boot. Wood flooring or walls and a Molotov can do wonders though. A door that's propped open can still retain a fair amount of heat while letting raiders pass through.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Mister No posted:

is it feasible to make a long corridor with a bunch of heaters to raise the temp to something ridiculous to kill off raiders?

new to the game and the raids are starting to get bigger than I have competent shooting dupes and trying to think of a way to deal with it without using all my components

I've never tested using heaters to create heat stroke corridors, you should try it and let us know!

That being said, you could create the long corridor and place a few IED incendiary traps in it. Similar idea but it definitely works - you've basically created the first component of the classic Rimworld killzone.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

bird food bathtub posted:

Heaters, not really practical for that and they'd likely get targeted by the spare raiders to boot. Wood flooring or walls and a Molotov can do wonders though. A door that's propped open can still retain a fair amount of heat while letting raiders pass through.

i had this idea of a long line of heaters separated by vents to make a 1 tile wide area for raiders to go through, figuring that i'd lose some heaters. i just wasn't sure if heaters have an upper limit they can go to like passive coolers seem to.

might try the IED and wood floors idea, though. that sounds kind of hilarious in a very anti-OSHA way.

e: also i just want to complain that my most competent shooting dupe is also my only guy that has more than 1 in medicine and uuuugh. every fight ends with him on convalescence for a day+ because he's the most likely to take a hit and my other guys can't figure out how to take the plastic bits off of band-aids

Mister No fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 19, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just make a long corridor with wood or carpet flooring, maybe toss in a couple of tables to make it harder to move through, then just toss a molly into it once raiders breach.

I would suggest the Locks mod so you can unlock the outer door so they don't destroy it and leak some of the heat out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mister No posted:

e: also i just want to complain that my most competent shooting dupe is also my only guy that has more than 1 in medicine and uuuugh. every fight ends with him on convalescence for a day+ because he's the most likely to take a hit and my other guys can't figure out how to take the plastic bits off of band-aids

give people machine pistols or LMGs, if you're not using a combat revamp mod. a lovely rapid-fire gun skills up ranged really quickly, even with zero passion for it

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Heat death traps are fun but are generally less reliable and more trouble than they're worth, if you're looking for an efficient raider killing setup. A simple trap lined corridor that empties out into a killbox works wonders.

The only time I've ever seen internal temps rise so fast that pawns died of heat stroke before they could escape was a conduit explosion in a stockpile that heated my mountain base up to like 300 degrees almost instantly. I don't run conduits near my stockpile any more.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 19, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Android Tiers ++ question: you can't really effectively use Skymind until you can make the VX chips and surrogates, whichis research past T4 androids, right? This guy makes really good mods but sadly all the documentation is in a video tutorial instead of, like... something I can read, and re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can use the skymind to transfer consciousness between droids, so if you have one that's shot to poo poo rather than replacing the parts you can build a new chassis (or capture one :v:) and then transfer the mind.

But otherwise yeah you need the chips to start using the surrogate system, or the core to start playing with duplication.