Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

blossommirage posted:

Jesus Christ, is that real? That's literally just a palette swap.

to be fair, gatomon has a shitton of palette swaps (Mikemon and BlackTailmon too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Leraika posted:

to be fair, gatomon has a shitton of palette swaps (Mikemon and BlackTailmon too).

Yeah, but for a Digimon that's part of the main cast, that seems kinda weird.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

blossommirage posted:

Yeah, but for a Digimon that's part of the main cast, that seems kinda weird.

Off the top of my head, the only ones that don't have a palette swap are Tentomon and Gomamon.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Leraika posted:

Off the top of my head, the only ones that don't have a palette swap are Tentomon and Gomamon.

Yeah, but Koromon isn't a strict recolor of Tsunomon. They all had different designs. It feels kinda weird for a new Digimon that's part of the main cast to have stages that are recolors of another Digimon that is also part of the main cast.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Saves time on making new game models. Load up its original, change a texture, compile.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Fair enough, yeah.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Can’t forget that every single notable Digimon has a black recolor “evil twin” version with the suffix “Black-“ attached. Even ones who already had evil duplicates. Including some who were already villains.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

One thing I like about the PSP game- the extra side missions that you can do are basically just what Digimon season 1 filler would be like if the show had the time for filler and that's neat

A bunch of the filler episodes in the PSP game were pretty forgettable, being more or less an excuse to reuse areas or bosses, but there were a couple that were great. One standout was the episode where you teamed up with Ogremon (yes that one), who is trying very hard to pretend he's a totally different Ogremon.

Kortel posted:

Saves time on making new game models. Load up its original, change a texture, compile.

I believe most of the early era recolors (IE: the ones with different names) were created to be regular enemies in the original Digimon World. It was an easy way to separate between digimon you could recruit to the city and digimon you couldn't. Thus you could recruit Agumon or Vegiemon or Bakemon but you couldn't get Snow Agumon or Zassoumon or Soulmon. This wasn't 100% (You couldn't get either Goblimon or Shamamon for instance), but as a rule of thumb it worked.

Incidentally Gomamon wasn't in the game at all and Tentomon was a one-off NPC which is probably the reason why neither of them got recolors from this era.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Can’t forget that every single notable Digimon has a black recolor “evil twin” version with the suffix “Black-“ attached. Even ones who already had evil duplicates. Including some who were already villains.

A friend of mine asked me if Digimon Story was worth checking out now that the complete edition is out and I said sure, why not. I now get weekly messages from them about "what the gently caress is this bullshit?" re: Digimon naming conventions and I just go "Yep. That's Digimon."

Reboot of Adventure looks interested. Even if it's literally just Adventure... Again, I'm open to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Digimon names are just the most hilarious thing in the world

Just whatever dumb bullshit, add mon at the end, you're gold.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

.mon is the file extension, obv.

Omnicrom posted:

I believe most of the early era recolors (IE: the ones with different names) were created to be regular enemies in the original Digimon World. It was an easy way to separate between digimon you could recruit to the city and digimon you couldn't. Thus you could recruit Agumon or Vegiemon or Bakemon but you couldn't get Snow Agumon or Zassoumon or Soulmon. This wasn't 100% (You couldn't get either Goblimon or Shamamon for instance), but as a rule of thumb it worked.

Incidentally Gomamon wasn't in the game at all and Tentomon was a one-off NPC which is probably the reason why neither of them got recolors from this era.

Yeah basically.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'd like them to get away from more knights and angel and demon Megas and bring back more giant dinosaurs and bugs and dragons. More Super Mega DNA fusions would be cool too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Leraika posted:

How the gently caress did this never click for me?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to give Appmon a real shot, see if it's just me being a grumpy old person or not, but I want to say from the outset

I hate the Appmon designs. The actual Appmon Digimon. And Kid me wouldn't have liked them either. So at least on a visual front, that's one thing I know Child Me wouldn't have liked.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leraika posted:

I now accept this as my personal canon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

I now accept this as my personal canon.
You might even call it your...

Headcanon. :ssh:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Meiko’s line being similar to Tailmon’s doesn’t bother me because that was literally the point. They’re thematically opposites to one another. A partner with something that makes them different from the others by being adult level, is a cat, and turns into an Angel eventually, plus they belong to a new cast member - except her existence is the result of a dangerous accident and isn’t a projected savior but the near-reincarnation of a destructive entity. Then the two opposites combine with one another into something even more wrong.

Say whatever you will about the execution of Meiko and Meikoomon’s characters but their designs being similar is them Working As Intended and for that reason doesn’t bother me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

I'm going to give Appmon a real shot, see if it's just me being a grumpy old person or not, but I want to say from the outset

I hate the Appmon designs. The actual Appmon Digimon. And Kid me wouldn't have liked them either. So at least on a visual front, that's one thing I know Child Me wouldn't have liked.

That's fair. Some Appmon designs are pretty good (Offmon may genuinely be the most adorable design in the entire series which is one hell of a thing), some are garbage.

That said, the series itself is one of the best in the franchise. Slow beginning, but once it gets going, it gets going and never stops. It also has the center of the universe, Karan Eri-sama, who is a female character with actual importance, competence and development rivalling if not surpassing the actual protagonist and that's something I will always enjoy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

Meiko’s line being similar to Tailmon’s doesn’t bother me because that was literally the point. They’re thematically opposites to one another. A partner with something that makes them different from the others by being adult level, is a cat, and turns into an Angel eventually, plus they belong to a new cast member - except her existence is the result of a dangerous accident and isn’t a projected savior but the near-reincarnation of a destructive entity. Then the two opposites combine with one another into something even more wrong.

Say whatever you will about the execution of Meiko and Meikoomon’s characters but their designs being similar is them Working As Intended and for that reason doesn’t bother me.

Similar is fine. Meicoomon and Gatomon, Meicrackmon and Angewomon, and both Raguelmon and Rasielmon and Ophanimon feel suitably distinct from each other. The rookie being an unnamed recolor is just laziness, though, especially since this'd be a chance to finally have a proper cat Rookie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Those things have never shown up outside of an app, so I don’t give them any consideration, tbh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I’m sorry I don’t respect the sanctity of poo poo like Mimi’s little brother and Takeru having a different dad and the obliteration of any instances of more than three seconds of silence or anything resembling consistent tone.

The samurai pizza cats dub is superior to the original and it's time to accept that

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Adventure dub wishes it could be as memorably shlocky as that show

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I’m sorry I don’t respect the sanctity of poo poo like Mimi’s little brother and Takeru having a different dad and the obliteration of any instances of more than three seconds of silence or anything resembling consistent tone.
You want subs-to-dubs massacre, try early Yugioh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHrynLSZ2qc

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJr1dTPSis

Unmodified version of the scene in the sub, since the previous video chops it up a bit.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 21, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm forgiving of them including little gags like Mimi's brother when they didn't know her family situation or had any idea they'd be getting there.

The TK Matt thing was purely a mistranslation/miscommunication, and one they pointedly fixed later. No different than adapting any on going property to another language. The dub didn't have that big of a head start on the Japanese version, remember.

While the music is worse in the dub, the character given to the Digimon themselves is often much better. Unique, memorable voices, that often result in some great, if dumb, moments.

and I think a good number of people would agree that the Tamers dub is superior in some respects to the Japanese version. At least for me, Ryo just being Another Person from the Tamers universe makes infinitely more sense than trying to shoehorn in the game fanfiction character for no drat reason. Gallantmon also fits Takato and Guilmon far better

Dukemon, and his way of speaking, makes sense for the character of Dukemon in a vacuum. When he's part of the Royal Knights, a preexisting and unrelated entity. Gallantmon just talking like Takato/Guilmon but slightly more mature is perfect, because why would they change how they talk?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dub doesn’t change anything about Ryou’s story at all. The games with his backstory just didn’t come out here. I don’t know where you’re getting that he’s “just another person from the Tamers universe” when the dub doesn’t say anything about that at all.

And they still had Takeru say they were half brothers in the Tri dub, so that little bit of incompetence lingers.

Dub Dukemon would be better if his voice in the dub weren’t an ear splitting yowl that was unintelligible most of the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can’t say someone is just another person without confirming they are in fact not another person.

Defeats the point

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burkion posted:

I'm forgiving of them including little gags like Mimi's brother when they didn't know her family situation or had any idea they'd be getting there.

The TK Matt thing was purely a mistranslation/miscommunication, and one they pointedly fixed later. No different than adapting any on going property to another language. The dub didn't have that big of a head start on the Japanese version, remember.

While the music is worse in the dub, the character given to the Digimon themselves is often much better. Unique, memorable voices, that often result in some great, if dumb, moments.

and I think a good number of people would agree that the Tamers dub is superior in some respects to the Japanese version. At least for me, Ryo just being Another Person from the Tamers universe makes infinitely more sense than trying to shoehorn in the game fanfiction character for no drat reason. Gallantmon also fits Takato and Guilmon far better

Dukemon, and his way of speaking, makes sense for the character of Dukemon in a vacuum. When he's part of the Royal Knights, a preexisting and unrelated entity. Gallantmon just talking like Takato/Guilmon but slightly more mature is perfect, because why would they change how they talk?

One of the things I've actually come to appreciate in later years was Jeff Nimoy writing and voicing Tentomon as having a lowkey crush on Izzy. He was wowed by his genius and one of the few people on the show who until the Adoption Talk who really appreciated Izzy for who he was naturally, not who he tried to be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you can’t say someone is just another person without confirming they are in fact not another person.

Defeats the point
You could say two characters are cousins?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PMush Perfect posted:

You could say two characters are cousins?

Relations make you somebody!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Dukemon speaking like a cheesy as heck royal knight with Guilmon's childish voice is like the best part of Dukemon and is the perfect evolution of him as a character... as opposed to the dub which depicts Gallantmon as yet another generic strong Ultimate/Mega like Imperialdramon or whoever.

The Tamers dub isn't that bad, especially in comparison to the abysmal Adventure dub, and mostly respects the material, but to say it's anywhere as great as the original Japanese version is straight up wrong. The biggest differences are in the characters themselves. The dude who plays Takoto in the dub never hits the emotional highs and anguish of Makoto Tsumura. Same deal with Ruki, who loses much of her cool demeanor and vulnerability in the dub vs. Fumiko Orikasa's wonderful performance.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 21, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the dub straight up says that Ryo is from the Tamers' universe, and was a rival of Rika's in the card games before he hosed off to the Digital World.

They also pointedly don't explain the nonsense with his Digimon as being 'because he was reborn from a dumb video game boss' and just 'he's really strong and always looking for a fight'

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure the dub straight up says that Ryo is from the Tamers' universe, and was a rival of Rika's in the card games before he hosed off to the Digital World.

They also pointedly don't explain the nonsense with his Digimon as being 'because he was reborn from a dumb video game boss' and just 'he's really strong and always looking for a fight'

I don't why you're so stuck on this. Ryo is a fun reference to the Wonderswan games. What's wrong with that? Do you hate fun?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Burkion posted:

Both of these did happen, I didn’t understand at all what his deal was supposed to be as a kid but looking back I do appreciate it leading me down a rabbit hole of Digimon content when I looked it up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

The stuff about him being Ruki’s rival is from the original too. They also never mention Cyberdramon’s origin in the show, in either version.

Tamers doesn’t bring up the events of the WonderSwan games at all. They can be ignored if you want to. But the official case is that Ryou was born in the Adventure universe, came to the Tamers universe, and started his life over there. The dub doesn’t weigh in on or against this whatsoever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'fun' and 'wonderswan' don't belong in the same sentence

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We like to have fun here in the SomethingAwful thread for a children's show about digital monsters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

We like to have fun here in the SomethingAwful thread for a children's show about digital monsters.

Keeping things light and breezy shouldn’t really be a license for Burk to say stuff that is actively untrue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We like to be in the right here in the SomethingAwful thread for a children's show about digital monsters.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I just don't like that a lot of Rika being cool and independent kind of seemed like it got thrown out of the window when Ryo showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even without knowing about ryo's whole backstory of being a video game OC he gave off immense poochie vibes to little kid me