Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The red details threw me off. Are those painted or did you use some sticker sheets from a real grade?

It's funny how the 2013 HGUC is equal and in some ways still superior to the 2018 HGUC Ground Gundam, especially in the shoulder sockets.

I added a few extra scribed panel lines as mentioned, mainly the thigh armour, the front skirts and the knee armour. All the markings are 3rd party waterslides from various sources with the caution markings mostly from HiQParts.

And agreed regarding quality of the kit compared to the much later ground gundam. I have one of those waiting to be painted as well as the much earlier version from the ground war set with the GM head and a couple of hover trucks. Eventually I'll have the whole team painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pyronic posted:

As a huge fan of the 08th I've been waffling on which kit to get for ages, but I guess its not as cut and dry as it ought to be?

The weakest of the HGUC 08th MS team kit is the Gouf Custom, but even that kit is pretty drat solid and only suffers from lacking double joints at the knees and elbows. This carries over to the P-Bandai flight type as well.

The Ez8 is great as is the Ground Gundam, and the Ground GM is one of the best grunt suits they've ever released. It's got a shitload of equipment and insane articulation for its price range and relatively small screentime.

They're all good with no stinkers. I just think that the Ground Gundam could have been a bit better but it's still a really good kit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I put together the HG VeeTwo Gundam this morning and it was a lot better than I expected actually.

The Core Gundam itself is kinda ridiculous looking; the anime makes it look kinda cool because they can play around with the proportions a little but at the proportions it needs to be in real life to make the transformation work, the head is a little too big and it really throws off the body and limbs.

The transformation itself is good though. It easily fulfills the requirements of being both solid enough to hold itself together and simple enough that you don't have to dig out the instruction manual every time.

One thing about the kit that's very difficult to forgive though is that all weapons, except the basic core beam gun, sabers and shield, are sold as separate weapon packs. Luckily I had already read about it so I knew to pick them up and every store I had seen had equal stocks of both the weapons and core units so personally I had no problem, but I can definitely see somebody's day being ruined by this. It's a little weird though because the VeeTwo and MarsFour are the only kitas they appear to have done this with, every other kit and even Jupitive have everything packed in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

One thing about the kit that's very difficult to forgive though is that all weapons, except the basic core beam gun, sabers and shield, are sold as separate weapon packs. Luckily I had already read about it so I knew to pick them up and every store I had seen had equal stocks of both the weapons and core units so personally I had no problem, but I can definitely see somebody's day being ruined by this. It's a little weird though because the VeeTwo and MarsFour are the only kitas they appear to have done this with, every other kit and even Jupitive have everything packed in.

You're forgetting it's a Build line. It's an easy way to make the weapons readily available both the actual kits and custom builds without yet another accessory pack that just sits unsold on hobby shop shelves.

If it was anything but a Build series HG kit, I'd be right there with you.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting it's a Build line. It's an easy way to make the weapons readily available both the actual kits and custom builds without yet another accessory pack that just sits unsold on hobby shop shelves.

If it was anything but a Build series HG kit, I'd be right there with you.
But it's the only 2 kits they've done it with. The others they released the accessories anyway but in different colors. It just seems a strange way of doing it.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

RillAkBea posted:

I put together the HG VeeTwo Gundam this morning and it was a lot better than I expected actually.

The Core Gundam itself is kinda ridiculous looking; the anime makes it look kinda cool because they can play around with the proportions a little but at the proportions it needs to be in real life to make the transformation work, the head is a little too big and it really throws off the body and limbs.

The transformation itself is good though. It easily fulfills the requirements of being both solid enough to hold itself together and simple enough that you don't have to dig out the instruction manual every time.

So I just finished its weapons pack and slapped it together... Holding its own weapons in its hands is infuriating, and the front skirts keep falling clean off. For an $8 kit its weird as hell, its not bad but i just dont know overall how I feel about it yet.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

My wife wants the Hello Kitty Gundam and found it for preorder here. Is this a reputable site?

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/sd-gundam-ex-standard-rx-78-2-gundam-hello-kitty-set

I showed this to someone after I saw this post and she demanded I get her one, but preorders are closed lol

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Slanderer posted:

I showed this to someone after I saw this post and she demanded I get her one, but preorders are closed lol

Yeah, all hail midjack for the timely reply. She ordered it before it closed. :sweatdrop:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Slanderer posted:

This is the one thing I really hate about gunpla - having to shop from store to store looking for someone that has what you want and no shop allows you to filter out “out of stock” items from their search results. Ugh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hobby Search (1999.co.jp) does actually have a button to filter out anything out of stock.

It also tells you in the listings which items fit inside a SAL small packet, which I only noticed yesterday.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I just ordered my first gunpla from amazon. I grabbed the hg astaroth gundam from ibo. While I havent seem the show yet, I really liked the look and the price was right haha.

I've got a few ideas for a 30mm model as well, but o wanted to make a normal gunpla first. How long does a typical hg take to build?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Elblanco posted:

How long does a typical hg take to build?

Years... until you get them out of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

But it's the only 2 kits they've done it with. The others they released the accessories anyway but in different colors. It just seems a strange way of doing it.

I'd put it down to them being the most generic/classic weapon archetypes, so they'll pair well with any kit.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Slanderer posted:

USAgundamstore is uhhh a thing, they are there and they exist but for pre-orders it likely wont ship until you actually call or email them after it comes in. I pre-orderd the HiRM God Gundam from them, watched their social media and they kept saying how it was running out and shipping now. A week after it came in I emailed them, 3 days later it shipped. Its the same for a pre-order before that. They also are dumb about multiple items, if you order a pre-order item and another item in the same order they wont ship the in stock item until the pre-order arrives. And if the in stock item goes out of stock to back-ordered and the pre-order comes in the same thing happens, they won't ship it.

TLDR Be careful about what you order from them and watch them like a hawk near release date, also be prepared to harass the ever living poo poo out of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elblanco posted:

I just ordered my first gunpla from amazon. I grabbed the hg astaroth gundam from ibo. While I havent seem the show yet, I really liked the look and the price was right haha.

I've got a few ideas for a 30mm model as well, but o wanted to make a normal gunpla first. How long does a typical hg take to build?

An afternoon or less. IBO kits are on the faster end, mostly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

An afternoon or less. IBO kits are on the faster end, mostly.

Pretty wild that inner frames made for cheaper, quicker builds.

Are there any upcoming events where kit announcements are likely to be made? I was hoping they'd return to G-Reco with the movies and do a Hecate. (I'm sure they will at least make a couple of suits distinct from the TV versions and release updates)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I had the same experience with usagundamstore with the new Hobby Zone stuff. Pre order, ships Sept. Sent an email Oct 15 and then had to follow up in November to get it to finally ship.

But other than that, their regular stock I've had no problem with and their reps are generally good people

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm in the middle of building the PG Exia and the wiring for the LEDs is nowhere near as annoying as the Unicorn. I think I'll actually be able to pose this one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot!

https://imgur.com/a/NNhi5S3

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I also got some robots.

https://imgur.com/a/J4WaTpC

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Azubah posted:

I'm in the middle of building the PG Exia and the wiring for the LEDs is nowhere near as annoying as the Unicorn. I think I'll actually be able to pose this one.

From the video reviews I've seen of it, the posability of the PG Exia is fantastic. The only thing it can't do is full rotation of the neck, arms and hips due to the wiring. It's probably the first Perfect Grade that actually lives up to the name.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Bloody Pom posted:

From the video reviews I've seen of it, the posability of the PG Exia is fantastic. The only thing it can't do is full rotation of the neck, arms and hips due to the wiring. It's probably the first Perfect Grade that actually lives up to the name.

It really is. It was an incredible build and really fun to mess around with. The wiring is super simple and looks insane.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bloody Pom posted:

Oh come on, that's not fair. PG Strike earned that name 15 years ago.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I try not to think about most pre-2010s Gunpla. It's a mire of awkward transformations and heavy ABS plastic held together by crappy polycaps that can't support the weight.

As well as the kit that killed any interest I had in building kits for several years, the MG Zeta 2.0 :gonk:

As far as I know, that monster is still sitting half-built in its box in a charity store somewhere in Auckland.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hell yeah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Solkanar512 posted:

This is the one thing I really hate about gunpla - having to shop from store to store looking for someone that has what you want and no shop allows you to filter out “out of stock” items from their search results. Ugh.

I use HLJ.com once a year or so, they've got a stock status filter on their search results.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, all hail midjack for the timely reply. She ordered it before it closed. :sweatdrop:

Glad you got in before the lock! :3:

Solkanar512 posted:

HLJ lets you filter out of stock.

Dead Like Rev posted:

USAgundamstore is uhhh a thing, they are there and they exist but for pre-orders it likely wont ship until you actually call or email them after it comes in. I pre-orderd the HiRM God Gundam from them, watched their social media and they kept saying how it was running out and shipping now. A week after it came in I emailed them, 3 days later it shipped. Its the same for a pre-order before that. They also are dumb about multiple items, if you order a pre-order item and another item in the same order they wont ship the in stock item until the pre-order arrives. And if the in stock item goes out of stock to back-ordered and the pre-order comes in the same thing happens, they won't ship it.

TLDR Be careful about what you order from them and watch them like a hawk near release date, also be prepared to harass the ever living poo poo out of them.

This was my early experience with them though my recent preorder was shipped very quickly with no badgering; sounds like I may have gotten lucky.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I try not to think about most pre-2010s Gunpla. It's a mire of awkward transformations and heavy ABS plastic held together by crappy polycaps that can't support the weight.

As well as the kit that killed any interest I had in building kits for several years, the MG Zeta 2.0 :gonk:

As far as I know, that monster is still sitting half-built in its box in a charity store somewhere in Auckland.

I'd say that, for HGs they started to really get their act together in '06. You build a Zaku I Sniper, it shows its age, but it's still pretty good. Anything older than '06 is much rougher going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that, for HGs they started to really get their act together in '06. You build a Zaku I Sniper, it shows its age, but it's still pretty good. Anything older than '06 is much rougher going.

The definitive start of good Gunpla is the HGAC Wing Gundam. It's when the All-Gundam project started, in order to get parts standardized and generally improve the build quality across the board. Not to say there aren't good individual kits before then, just that the general average markedly improved.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The definitive start of good Gunpla is the HGAC Wing Gundam. It's when the All-Gundam project started, in order to get parts standardized and generally improve the build quality across the board. Not to say there aren't good individual kits before then, just that the general average markedly improved.

The Wing helped standardize things, (although not universally. The Turn A's build on a different design plan, for example, and there's a bunch of throwbacks where old molds were reused), but the 0 Gundam had that design plan earlier, and in HGUC proper, the Fullarmor Gundam was the first to use it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've been hearing great things about RGs since they mostly dumped the prebuilt inner frames that went loose over time. The RG Nu in particular looks brilliant.

e: Looking back on it now, I think the first Gunpla I ever got was the original HG Epyon, as a present from my dad. I don't remember much about it, except that it was a plastic grenade. I think I stuffed it into a Bionicle can and forgot about it.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 21, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Crossposting from the scale thread: a joke for perhaps three or four people, ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Crossposting from the scale thread: a joke for perhaps three or four people, ever.

I laughed.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Now just get them to do one of these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I've been hearing great things about RGs since they mostly dumped the prebuilt inner frames that went loose over time. The RG Nu in particular looks brilliant.

e: Looking back on it now, I think the first Gunpla I ever got was the original HG Epyon, as a present from my dad. I don't remember much about it, except that it was a plastic grenade. I think I stuffed it into a Bionicle can and forgot about it.

Both the recent RG Nu and Sazabi are both amazing builds. Sazabi is a bit more stable to pose since you don't have to balance the fin funnel but they are both worth the money.

I've built the MG Exia after RG Sazabi and the Exia is much simpler.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Bloody Pom posted:

What's your level? https://youtu.be/6hJ60JkPXsA

:psyduck: the 1/100 HG Altron being called a lvl 5 kit :psyduck:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Sazabi posted:

The kid saying Level 1 and staring at me with soulless eyes will give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sazabi posted:

The epyon with the sword cable attached to the v fin is the icing on the cake.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there a good stock checker website now? The old one I used shut down in 2018 and its piss trying to keep checking stuff, I just want the metal spirits Barbatos dangit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Monaghan posted:

The epyon with the sword cable attached to the v fin is the icing on the cake.

Holy poo poo it is and I never noticed it