Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I would not put cambarellus patzcuarensis in with that mix of fish. They are vulnerable when they moult and could be chewed on by gouramis or any of the other invertivores, conversely they will nip anything that lives on the bottom of the tank or sleeps towards the bottom. I also think they'd try to prey on neon tetras (assuming they are similar to other dwarf crays they climb hardscape and leap off and try to grab fish on the way past). They're reasonably safe with shrimp as the shrimp are more nimble and faster but they will prey on shrimplets if they catch them and I wouldn't put it past them to prey on vulnerable shrimp that have moulded. I think they can work in a community if you have fish that sleep closer to the surface and no competing bottom dwellers. Just thinking, they do prefer harder water which might not be compatible with what you're keeping either.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I did it! I had the surgery! There's no way I'm lifting a bucket of water into a tank any time soon or even lifting an empty water can would be a big ask at this point. The surgery sites don't really hurt but it feels so so wrong if I put any tension on my torso at all. Early days yet, but I think I will be taking it very easy on fish maintenance for at least a week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

I did it! I had the surgery! There's no way I'm lifting a bucket of water into a tank any time soon or even lifting an empty water can would be a big ask at this point. The surgery sites don't really hurt but it feels so so wrong if I put any tension on my torso at all. Early days yet, but I think I will be taking it very easy on fish maintenance for at least a week.

Glad everything seems to have gone well and hope you can stay resting up properly!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Busy fish weekend here. Had a 40b that was housing some of the refugees from my busted 180g, about 15 julidochromis and a metric buttload of mostly juvie plecos. Was tired of my relentlessly breeding plecos, so sold off the whole lot of 70ish. Added a bunch of rockwork to the 150g rubbermaid stock tank housing the frontosas in the garage and then moved the julies into there.

Apistos have been going nuts in their 20 long, just non stop babies, so I moved them into the newly vacant 40b. They have a lot more space now for the juvies to grow out in.

male apistogramma cacatuoides

female apisto

juvie apisto

After all that I moved my rainbows and denison barbs out of their 55g hospital tank and back into the planted 125g upstairs. Everyone seems healthy and happy so fingers crossed the columnaris is behind us.

I also received a couple of Noopsyche K7 led lights in the mail this weekend. Got those added to my 48" aquatic life t5 hybrid and I'm really happy with how it looks. No tank shots because I hate my tank right now, but here is a shot of the light fixture. Awesome coverage on a standard 120g.

Not too bad for a Saturday afternoon!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I have an invert-only tank (cherries, amanos, couple snails) ... and some hellacious greenwater. I am doing frequent water changes to try and curb the greenwater, but in the meantime I read that daphnia will help mitigate it.

While I think it'd be neat to have yet more inverts in my tank, is there any downside to them?
Will they multiply unchecked since there's no fish to eat them?
Will they out-compete my shrimp for food?
Is there a way to remove them afterwards if I don't like them?
Are there inverts that will eat them?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Me and my wife have a bit of a tradition of doing a big mutual purchase as a Christmas gift to ourselves, and this years was a planted tank.

Tank right now:

Tank a month ago:

Tank residents:

Three guppies

Six diamondhead tetras

Five shrimp

And Mando the assassin snail.

Plans going forward are to add some more guppies and another small school of tetra.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looking very nice!

I was trying to reply about daphnia but I think I fell asleep, they absolutely won't become pests in a tank as they will only survive as long as there is appropriate food for them. They're pretty small and if you have an ongoing green water problem they will quickly eat it and if you are lucky you will get an equilibrium between your greenwater production and your daphnia population.

Managed to feed my fish and do a quick tank survey and everything looks kind of okay but the effort sent me back to bed for another nap. Hope this doesn't last too much longer, I've got water changes to do!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

Managed to feed my fish and do a quick tank survey and everything looks kind of okay but the effort sent me back to bed for another nap. Hope this doesn't last too much longer, I've got water changes to do!

Posting this from the ICU, don't push yourself! You don't want to end up having to go back with complications and your tanks will be in even worse shape!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My tank is not cycling even with ghost feeding. The ammonia badge and test strips show nothing. I did get some live plants so that probably slowed things down, but I needed something living in the tank.

So I dumped a bottle of safe start in there and some Danios. That’ll cycle it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

My tank is not cycling even with ghost feeding. The ammonia badge and test strips show nothing. I did get some live plants so that probably slowed things down, but I needed something living in the tank.

So I dumped a bottle of safe start in there and some Danios. That’ll cycle it.

It takes a month to cycle a tank when dosing pure ammonia. Get those fish out, they are going to die

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Posting this from the ICU, don't push yourself! You don't want to end up having to go back with complications and your tanks will be in even worse shape!

Thanks VelociBacon, this is all new to me so I'm not sure how much laying about vs gentle activity I should be doing. I'm treating it like I'm on holiday but the person who comes to feed the tanks every second day is also me.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Phi230 posted:

It takes a month to cycle a tank when dosing pure ammonia. Get those fish out, they are going to die

rip to some real ones

e: seachem stability

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Danios can go straight into tap water and survive. Using them to cycle a tank is not unusual.

I’m testing the water every couple of days. All the numbers still read safe.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It only took a week or so for my tank to cycle with ammonia but I guess it depends on your substrate and filter etc.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Speaking of danios, does anyone have experience breeding them? I separated two pairs of celestial pearl danios but I don't think they're spawning despite lots of love food

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've only done it with zebras, my pair were elderly but keen and went at it almost immediately in the tank I set up for them. I had java moss as the spawning mop and the eggs scattered into the substrate, I pretty much let them go for a couple of days then removed the adults and fry appeared after that. Zebra danio fry and eggs were so tiny as to be virtually invisible to me at first so I can't imagine CPDs would be much easier to see.

This guy did a short series on breeding them:
https://youtu.be/BzdHdvfRAfo

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm a newish tank owner who has put together a planted tank, and what I bought came with a little c02 set up- the problem is I'm concerned about putting too much c02 into the water and suffocating all of my inhabitants(some amanos and ember tetra). I've got a drop checker, and I've never gotten it to the "enough c02" color, but I'm still kind of apprehensive about blasting it. For a 15g tank, are we talking about like, minutes of c02? 10 minutes? Consistent bubbles through-out the day?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Co2 is supposed to always be ran at a constant rate and you adjust the flow to control the co2 content in the tank. You don't just stop and go with it? Unless I'm totally misreading your post.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm a newish tank owner who has put together a planted tank, and what I bought came with a little c02 set up- the problem is I'm concerned about putting too much c02 into the water and suffocating all of my inhabitants(some amanos and ember tetra). I've got a drop checker, and I've never gotten it to the "enough c02" color, but I'm still kind of apprehensive about blasting it. For a 15g tank, are we talking about like, minutes of c02? 10 minutes? Consistent bubbles through-out the day?

I turn CO2 on a couple hours before the lights turn on, and turn it off when the lights turn off.

I can't speak to shrimp, but when CO2 is too high for fish they very obviously come to the surface and gasp for air. You don't suddenly have a tank full of dead fish when it's too high

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My CO2 comes on 1 hour before lights go on and turns off 1 hour before they go back off.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

My CO2 comes on 1 hour before lights go on and turns off 1 hour before they go back off.

Why wait an hour after the lights are off? The plants should photosynthesizing when the light disappears

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Why wait an hour after the lights are off? The plants should photosynthesizing when the light disappears

I probably just wrote it weirdly, but yeah the CO2 is off before the lights are.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I probably just wrote it weirdly, but yeah the CO2 is off before the lights are.

Got it: your CO2 is on for the same total time as your lights, but shifted one hour earlier, so it starts an hour before the lights turn off, and turns off an hour before the lights do.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I saw a video once where a man had a gatorade bottle filled with co2 in the tank, opening down. The co2 would then diffuse into the water without bubbling off. Do you guys think that would be better or worse than the traditional diffuser?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That seems like it's way, way worse, unless there's some agitation going on.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Tank a month ago:

What's that big leafy plant with the holes? I see it a ton and want to grab one for a tank

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Speaking of danios, does anyone have experience breeding them? I separated two pairs of celestial pearl danios but I don't think they're spawning despite lots of love food

Give them sunlight and a splash of cool water in the morning, plus I assume you have spawn mops/something for the eggs to fall through?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

What's that big leafy plant with the holes? I see it a ton and want to grab one for a tank

Madagascar lace

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Give them sunlight and a splash of cool water in the morning, plus I assume you have spawn mops/something for the eggs to fall through?

A splash of cool water?

Yes I have mop and a screen for eggs to fall through

I have two pairs in a ten gallon tank. The males typically hide under the spawning mop all day, and the ladies swim around, sometimes together.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 18, 2020

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Alright guys. I might've hosed up. I thought that a glass top by itself would be enough to keep my ACF from escaping his tank. That wasn't the case. So now as far as tank security goes I will be adding a large landscaping brick wrapped in a towel (resting on the plastic tank rim, not on the glass itself) to keep the little bastard in.

He was almost dried out by the time I got to him. Almost. He's alive. He's moving. I've got him in a tiny hospital tank with shallow water so he can easily breathe, and he's looking better and better, but he's not out of the woods yet. Those of you who've had experience with rescuing critters on the brink of dessication, what are some things I can do to help him recover better? His little hands are uncurling finally, and his little feet seem to be less stiff, but I want to give him the best chance possible.

This frog helped me through some pretty significant sadbrains and I'm terrified of losing him.

(X-posted aquarium/herp threads because aquatic frog)

Edit: I got to him too late. Even rehydrating him wasn't enough. He's gone.

Axqu fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea I needed to add CO2 to a planted tank. I guess I’ve been lucky in my prior ones. I did notice in all my various chemicals that I have Flourish Excel which adds carbon and other chemicals to make your plants healthy and also kills every fish if you add too much. Has anyone tried this as a way to add carbon to your tank?

Axqu posted:

:(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had no idea I needed to add CO2 to a planted tank. I guess I’ve been lucky in my prior ones. I did notice in all my various chemicals that I have Flourish Excel which adds carbon and other chemicals to make your plants healthy and also kills every fish if you add too much. Has anyone tried this as a way to add carbon to your tank?

:(

You don't need to add it at all, just for certain very demanding plants.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A splash of cool water?

It simulates morning rain, which many fish find super sexy.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not a need, there are plenty of plants that will do fine with just the CO2 produced by the fish themselves. Suplimenting it just allows for faster, bigger, denser growth.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Axqu posted:

I'm so sorry you lost him, Axqu. It's not your fault, you did your best for him with the knowledge you had at the time.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Hi Aquarium Thread!

I've always wanted an aquarium, and for my birthday I got a Fluval Roma 90L. Here it is shortly after planting:

and here it is last week:

It currently contains 5 guppies, 2 blue dwarf gourami, 2 snails and several shrimp. Planning to add some celestial pearl danio once everything is more stable.

So far the deaths have been one snail (no idea what killed that one) and one guppy (died due to high nitrite levels, possibly caused by the dead snail). Right now the tank water seems good, but I have another sick fish.

This is the remaining male guppy, how he used to look (just a zoom of the picture above)

Here is how he looks today:

He's trailing some sort of long white thread, and he's obviously distressed. Any suggestions?

e: bonus shrimp

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 20, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

Hi Aquarium Thread!

I've always wanted an aquarium, and for my birthday I got a Fluval Roma 90L. Here it is shortly after planting:

and here it is last week:

It currently contains 5 guppies, 2 blue dwarf gourami, 2 snails and several shrimp. Planning to add some celestial pearl danio once everything is more stable.

So far the deaths have been one snail (no idea what killed that one) and one guppy (died due to high nitrite levels, possibly caused by the dead snail). Right now the tank water seems good, but I have another sick fish.

This is the remaining male guppy, how he used to look (just a zoom of the picture above)

Here is how he looks today:

He's trailing some sort of long white thread, and he's obviously distressed. Any suggestions?

e: bonus shrimp

Did you cycle the tank before you put fish in it?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Are you using any water conditioners or any quickstart bacteria?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have a 3.5 gallon betta tank with two mystery snails. I was vacuuming the gravel today and noticed a pretty good sized egg sack stuck above the water line? What the gently caress is about to happen?

Online I’m reading there could be hundreds of baby snails in my tiny little tank. I can transfer snails to my 36 galloner, but that would probably wreck my plant life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

If you've got any kind of active local aquarium buy/sell/trade, you're about to make a few bucks on mystery snails is what's about to happen.