Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it will be super lame if the digimon in the new Adventure show all digivolve into the same things as the original show. As a kid being surprised at what they were going to turn into was one of the best parts of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I really hope I can go back to Appmon some day. I simply couldn't hold attention by the time I got to episode 9. It was also trying to get me to buy into the idea of social media celebrities (they're just like you and me!) more than I could stand. It came out around the time YouTubers were beginning make global news and I was hoping it was just a fad.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 21, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Appmon is good.

They should do more Appmon instead of Adventure.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

No mention of Beat Hit in discussing Digimon's songs? For shame.

Ethiser posted:

I think it will be super lame if the digimon in the new Adventure show all digivolve into the same things as the original show. As a kid being surprised at what they were going to turn into was one of the best parts of the show.

I'm hoping for new forms too, but it wouldn't surprise me if they only start bringing in new forms at Perfect level and above. We already know Greymon is in and I find it really unlikely we don't have Garurumon, Birdramon, and et al. On the other hand my extreme low percentage theory based solely on the poster is that Patamon and Tailmon aren't in and that Takeru and Hikari will have different partners. I have absolutely no reason to believe this is so, and I'm pulling for at least Tailmon since she was my favorite of the original 8, but if you want a way off the mark random idea there's one.

Speaking of surprises and being surprised I'm in the midst of a rewatch of Digimon for reasons and I was kind of surprised myself that the second ending of Adventure came in so early. Keep On starts playing in episode 27, and if you haven't seen that ending in a while that's the one that shows the entire final roster of the team including identifying Hikari's partner (it was a couple of more episodes before it was made obvious), War Greymon, Metal Garurumon, and Holy Angemon (who you may recall first appears at episode 52). I was also a kid who was excited to see every new form as it happened, so it makes me wonder what it was like to be a kid in Japan and just see the entire final team.

Meanwhile the opening to Tamers showed Beelzebumon Blast Mode and (kind of) the D-Reaper.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

Tagiru Chikara was the only good thing of a terrible series.

I've never seen Young Hunters and absolutely never will, but Tagiru Chikara is excellent. Psychic Lover is a gift.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

I was also a kid who was excited to see every new form as it happened, so it makes me wonder what it was like to be a kid in Japan and just see the entire final team.

Meanwhile the opening to Tamers showed Beelzebumon Blast Mode and (kind of) the D-Reaper.

Japan does not seem to give a poo poo about spoilers

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nothing about this show's staff is encouraging

Actually nothing about this show is encouraging full stop

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I thought about it and I really do appreciate we're relitigating subs vs dubs arguments in 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Other blasts from the past: digimon adventure is airing soon!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Appmon is good.

They should do more Appmon instead of Adventure.

Every time they've tried to do more of a series it sucked so I'm not sure if I really want that.

But on the other hand I do want to see Haru get his happy ending with his revived AI boyfriend so...maybe.

Omnicrom posted:

I'm hoping for new forms too, but it wouldn't surprise me if they only start bringing in new forms at Perfect level and above. We already know Greymon is in and I find it really unlikely we don't have Garurumon, Birdramon, and et al. On the other hand my extreme low percentage theory based solely on the poster is that Patamon and Tailmon aren't in and that Takeru and Hikari will have different partners. I have absolutely no reason to believe this is so, and I'm pulling for at least Tailmon since she was my favorite of the original 8, but if you want a way off the mark random idea there's one.

Speaking of surprises and being surprised I'm in the midst of a rewatch of Digimon for reasons and I was kind of surprised myself that the second ending of Adventure came in so early. Keep On starts playing in episode 27, and if you haven't seen that ending in a while that's the one that shows the entire final roster of the team including identifying Hikari's partner (it was a couple of more episodes before it was made obvious), War Greymon, Metal Garurumon, and Holy Angemon (who you may recall first appears at episode 52). I was also a kid who was excited to see every new form as it happened, so it makes me wonder what it was like to be a kid in Japan and just see the entire final team.

Garurumon also appears in the poster so by this point it's clear that at the very least, every Adult stage will remain unchanged. I wouldn't be surprised if Perfect and above were changed though, since having new Digimon to market is essential (this is a marketing-driven show!) and having every protagonist just be an old one feels like it wouldn't help much there. Then again, nostalgia sells and the original eight have very distinctive lines, so they may not want to touch that (beyond Tailmon's ever-changing Mega). Who knows? I sure hope they do change this stuff though, even if it's MetalGreymon for MetallerThanEverGreymon that now has two claws or something. It worked for the Savers Agumon!

And yeah, Keep On is...hilariously spoilery. We got it in Latin America too and it was just as bad, we suddenly knew everything. That said, since I was a kid, it only made me more excited for what was to come, especially since it wasn't clear why Agumon and Gabumon had one more form than the rest. I liked that but I can fully see why no following series did the same.

Also yes, The Biggest Dreamer shows pretty much everything in the future (Juri, Hirokazu and Shiaochun as Tamers with their partners (except the last one) but weirdly enough not Kenta, every Mega including Impmon's) but at the same time it's polite enough to have everything shadowed so the most you know is that they'll get bigger, cooler forms, which is a given for Digimon.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I've never seen Young Hunters and absolutely never will, but Tagiru Chikara is excellent. Psychic Lover is a gift.

I'm the biggest Digimon fan and I will always tell people to consume more of the franchise but...yeah, don't. Hunters is absolutely not worth it.

Blockhouse posted:

Nothing about this show's staff is encouraging

Actually nothing about this show is encouraging full stop

The director is a Digimon veteran and the writer has some very good episodes under his name in other shows but...yeah, I can't say I'm exactly positive about what's coming either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The shadowed shot of beelzemon in the OP is terrific, gives a small tinge of dread that absolutely gets followed on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Other blasts from the past: digimon adventure is airing soon!

February 2020: Join Tai and Agumon on their final adventure!

April 2020: Join Tai and Agumon on a brand new adventure!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Can't wait for the main villain to turn out to be Yggdrasil

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

Can't wait for Leomon to show up and die

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Can't wait for Leomon to show up and die

I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Personally I can't wait for SkullGreymon to show up cause no one in Tai's family can get upset about something without accidentally unleashing unholy evil on everything around them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Make Skullgreymon the correct form and Virus Metalgreymon the bad one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

Make Skullgreymon the correct form and Virus Metalgreymon the bad one.

Justice for Megidramon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I miss agumans more angular design...his whole line got shafted when it was decided they had to be good guys

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It’s gonna be Yet Another Version of Myotismon, because gently caress you that’s why. Guy will never die.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s gonna be Yet Another Version of Myotismon, because gently caress you that’s why. Guy will never die.

Myotismon does have that X-Antibody design....

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Myotismon and Yggdrasil fuse

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Adventure reset could introduce X types to the main line.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That would tie a lot of things together nicely and finally make Yggdrasil relevant in the anime.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Why aren't we talking about Digimon SURVIVE more? It looks like they're starting to finally give gameplay details and I'm interested to see if the free action/drama action economy makes digivolutions work more like they do in the show? Seems like it could make evolution trees interesting and less about re and de evolving and more about the bond with a given character.... I'm pretty hopeful!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Moriatti posted:

Why aren't we talking about Digimon SURVIVE more? It looks like they're starting to finally give gameplay details and I'm interested to see if the free action/drama action economy makes digivolutions work more like they do in the show? Seems like it could make evolution trees interesting and less about re and de evolving and more about the bond with a given character.... I'm pretty hopeful!

Man, I really hope we get a release date soon

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Notice, I never once said I prefered the mistakes the Dub made.

The genuine mistakes are exactly that- just that they're excusable, given when and how it was made. And the censorship later in the series is always annoying but that was the beast of 90s dubs.

Ideally I'd love a series that kept the character and charm of the original dub, but didn't have to resort to lines about pizza crust because the final villain was too disturbing

I mean for a 90's dub; they were weirdly respectful about characters dying. Unless it was a foot soldier getting murdered by their boss which was written around for some reason?

A series that cared less about its audience would have cut the scene of Numemon swarming Machinedramon and just had Agumon turn into Wargreymon just because it's a toy commercial so who gives a poo poo?

Though yeah, Apocalymon was clearly a threshold they weren't comfortable crossing. They really refused to take him seriously whatsoever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Will definitely be interesting to see what things that Psi will change compared to the original, some idle thoughts on the matter;

Do more with Datamon and his plot to create digital clones of the Chosen Children, maybe he succeeds and partners them up with some of Etemon's flunkies(who all happen to coincidentally be the various recolors* of the partners of the real Chosen Children) and have them battle to decide who gets to continue to exist

Expand the roster of the Dark Masters so that everyone can get the chance to reach Ultimate instead of just Agumon and Gabumon

Do a much better job of foreshadowing Apocalymon

Maybe fold in a version of Our War Game into the series

*in the process finally give Piyomon, Gomamon, and Tentomon recolors

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There’s an interview with Kakudoh where he talks about them making the new show its own thing, and the plot seems to emphasize the digital crises plaguing the real world through the digital one, so I’m not 100 % sure the new show will resemble the plot or structure of the original much. And honestly, it’d be altogether better if it didn’t.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

There’s an interview with Kakudoh where he talks about them making the new show its own thing, and the plot seems to emphasize the digital crises plaguing the real world through the digital one, so I’m not 100 % sure the new show will resemble the plot or structure of the original much. And honestly, it’d be altogether better if it didn’t.

I'm sure it probably will, that post was more to illustrate what I would change if it had to keep closer to the original

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’d just do the Dark Masters but with different Ultimates/Megas from the Pendulum series. Pukumon instead of MetalSeadramon.

In this version the Chosen Children flee from a tiny british pufferfish for three episodes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nodosaur posted:

I’d just do the Dark Masters but with different Ultimates/Megas from the Pendulum series. Pukumon instead of MetalSeadramon.

In this version the Chosen Children flee from a tiny british pufferfish for three episodes.
I had the old TCG card for Pukumon, built my deck around that bastard. He... wasn't very good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He is in my heart

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Especially since our understanding of the actual digital frontier and its real life effects on real world and people is far more filled now in 2020 than it was in 1999. I'm hoping they take some cues from stuff like Summer Wars or Person of Interest in that regard if they're going to look at that sort of thing. Also the original show opened with a montage about climate change stuff ostensibly tied to the Digital World and then just dropped it all together, only to revisit it for like three seconds in the Mamoru Hosoda episode of Adventure. Again, now that we have a better understanding of actual climate change it would be cool if they picked that thread up properly and actually said something substantive about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean something substanial about climate change would be "turns out it's not related to things you can punch to death" so

Also it would be hilarious to have Digimon take cues from Summer Wars, given that circle of inspiration

Though honestly, I just really like the original setting of Digimon. There's a mysticism to it that's lacking in other series. The Digital World is its own reality, parallel but distinct from Earth, where things crossover. It's not something created by computers, just another plane of existence different from the physical. And yes, that kind of goes against the whole idea of the 'digital world' concept, but it's unique. It's something I hated about season 2, having humans be the creators of the digital world. That lessens the setting established in the first season, to me.

It's a reality of monsters and Gods, where magic and science are often interchangeable, yet still distinct. But I also don't want to see just a retread of what was before. I don't know. It's one of those things I liked about Tamers- Tamers was way, waaaaay heavier on the Digital World being a knowable, though still loving weird, thing that's way more digital and far less 'world', but it also has the goddamn magic gnomes running around doing whatever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A different dimension that’s the providence of mysticism and gods and magic is far more the norm than the concept of the Digital World being born from digital data. Like. What you’re describing is the basis for 99% of fantasy worlds. It’s not really unique.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Really - and this isn’t a knock against Adventure it’s just a point oh comparison - of all the show’s takes on the Digital World, Adventure’s feels the most limited. The only history you hear about is the villains of prophecy, and the set up for the Chosen Children’s ability to fight them. Thus, the Digital World itself is a device that serves and extension of the series’ themes of going on a journey and growing up. As a consequence, the place doesn’t feel very lived in. You get scattered pockets of communities, yes, but everything important comes back to the Chosen Children and their enemies.

Other series did better about this. Yeah, major events get tied to the main characters in Tamers, Savers, and Appmon, but the first two show that their Digital Worlds are large, and things arose and get on without them. The scattered mentions of the Olympus Twelve in Savers establish there’s more in this world than the main characters encounter, and in Tamers, even if Jian and his family have a personal connection to the Digimon, the D-Reaper and Holy Beasts came about on their own after the groundwork was set up. Meanwhile, Appmon is written with the most direct application of real world digital networks, and as a result manages to feel real and tangible even if much of it is cartoonish and connected to Haru’s family. And while the Legendary Warriors, Lucemon, and the war between Cherubimon and the other angels does eventually lead to five kids resolving it, it gives Frontier’s digital world a history without them as the BASIS for it. They’re just the resolution, and it’s more or less established that any five kids who cared enough to get on the train and stick around could have done the same.

If nothing else, I hope the new Adventure series follows the first one’s successors in better world building and making everything less reliant on providence as it relates to eight particular kids.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Moriatti posted:

I want it to be good and I can't wait to play it but there isn't really much to talk about

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Speaking of Digimon games, I tried ReArise the other day and had to uninstall it yesterday. It's pretty disgustingly p2w, which wasn't a surprise really. But I was completely blown away by the fact that you get stuck with tons of Digimon that can't even evolve to Mega. Made worse by the fact that certain Digimon have different evolutionary paths so they don't even count as the same Digimon as others you may have, which makes them even more useless because you can't actually use them to upgrade your good ones. I got five acts deep, couldn't level up half my Digimon anymore because I'd have to grind a bunch of training items just for the privilege of 20 more levels and then a bunch more items you have to grind practically one at a time just to digivolve one time. And one of those items is cash shop, or get really lucky in a fight your level 20-40 team can't possibly win.

So yeah stick to Cyber Sleuth for good Digimon gaming for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's hardly surprising. Gacha is evil and exploitative, no matter what gacha it is. Do not play gacha, even if it's for the franchise, Digimon has good games now.