Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

Honestly I'd just have Lews on-screen for when he's talking. It gives you more options for performance and lets you do the classic "cut to a bystander's perspective where he's shouting at nothing" trick.

I really liked Holden and Miller, so it could work, maybe not all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Neal! posted:

hrmmm so Mat, overtime, might have convinced the Seanchan to do away with enslaving women with A'dam ultimately freeing and unleashing Moghedien on the world.

That really does seem very Mat

Assuming he survived the Seanchan campaign, since iirc the failure of that adventure and the death of Tuon is one of the conditions for the future Aviendha saw

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That future is very much at question. Aviendha kinda broke it by forcing Rand to include the Aiel in the Dragon's Peace, which was something that was explicitly not in her vision.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Assuming he survived the Seanchan campaign, since iirc the failure of that adventure and the death of Tuon is one of the conditions for the future Aviendha saw

Geez, I'd forgotten about that.

Those Mat and Perrin books sure would have been swell.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

rndmnmbr posted:

That future is very much at question. Aviendha kinda broke it by forcing Rand to include the Aiel in the Dragon's Peace, which was something that was explicitly not in her vision.

That particular future, sure. I'm saying that if it's a condition for that future then those conditions are currently a possibility--minus the Aiel not joining the Dragon's Peace thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 14, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know i've seen some people say they dislike faile but i seem to enjoy all the segments she's involved in for whatever reason :shobon:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Johnny Joestar posted:

i know i've seen some people say they dislike faile but i seem to enjoy all the segments she's involved in for whatever reason :shobon:

I actually like *her* scenes. And I like Perrin's scenes.

It's the Berelain drama and the super long winter's heart stuff that gets me down.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll admit i haven't gotten back to winter's heart on my reread yet so i don't have the full experience of perrin standing in the snow fresh in my mind, so perhaps things degrade a bit!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Really I don't mind Faile, I just think she and Perrin make for a terrible couple. #TeamRolan #TeamPerrelain

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VikingofRock posted:

Really I don't mind Faile, I just think she and Perrin make for a terrible couple. #TeamRolan #TeamPerrelain

Eh maybe that Seanchan instead of Berelain.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

VikingofRock posted:

uh, #galadelain is a way healthier relationship my dude.

A lot of Faile's storyline suffers because the Shaido storyline is dull and Perrin's sullenness when she's gone isn't interesting. But I thought they were pretty good when together. The scene where she gets him to cry gets me choked up.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I haven’t minded it but really Berelain actually wants Perrin and doesn’t try to be a shithead to him all the time and seems like a competent ruler.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
#TeamElaytrim

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brolander posted:

#TeamElaytrim

Okay this I can 100% get behind; those two have way more chemistry together than any actual couple in the series.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat deserves much better than Elayne. Tuon is much better than Elayne.

Also having remembered not liking Perrin/Faile, on this last time through I definitely realized it was just the whole Shaido storyline, not the characters, that made me tired of them. It just drags forever and Perrin is mopey for like, 3 books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1217520372725297152?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mmmm. AMOL:
I never really thought about the similarity between Egwene's and whatever the Queen of Manetheren's name was deaths. Both avenging their Warder, both through overuse of the One Power, and both Warders gone to fight an impossible battle. I might have to look through the series for any other historical similarities.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I would like to congratulate Rand on the single biggest effort of will in the entire series. Not facing down TDO, not cleansing Saidin, but rather managing to resist Lanfear's charm when she's wearing nothing but a shirt and coming onto him strong enough to rouse the dead.

Next to that, the rest would have been easy.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mmmm. AMOL:
I never really thought about the similarity between Egwene's and whatever the Queen of Manetheren's name was deaths. Both avenging their Warder, both through overuse of the One Power, and both Warders gone to fight an impossible battle. I might have to look through the series for any other historical similarities.

Main difference being that Egwene's warder was a massive idiot

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You never know, Aemon's wife might have been yelling at him THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA DON'T DO IT

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Just finished WH. The first half is sooooo slow, but it becomes a frantic caper for the whole second half. Forgot how good Mat and Cadsuanes parts are

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

One of these days I’ll just read the mat povs to see how it holds up by itself.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm doing my first reread since I was a teen/twenty-something keeping up with the books as they were coming out, but I fell off hard after Winter's Heart. So this is my opportunity to reread a series that meant a lot to me at the time, and finish the drat thing. That said, I just wrapped up RJs books and started Gathering Storm and at least based on the first few chapters and prologue, I can't say there's a stark difference in the writing really. Sanderson certainly breaks up paragraphs like a human being, and that's nice, but aside from that on the page I don't really notice a difference. Maybe it becomes more obvious later.

Anyway, good god does this series benefit from being able to just cruise through it instead of waiting two years between books and forgetting 3/4 of the characters.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mats writing felt super different to me. Like he had become pretty competent by the end of RJ books and then he becomes a buffoon (but good at war)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Sanderson's said that he had a hard time getting Mat's tone right, but I figure part of the shift is just that Mat's had a pretty significant character step right before Sanderson came on the scene. He's both personally out of step and being written by someone who's favorite character was Perrin.

Seriously, Perrin? For the Light's sake, Perrin?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Vavrek posted:

Seriously, Perrin? For the Light's sake, Perrin?
On my first read-through of the series, Perrin was my favorite character from book 3 to just before Faile is capture or so. I think I identified with his awkwardness.

Lan was my favorite in books 1 & 2 because he's a bad-rear end. After Perrin was Mat for a while, then Egwene from when she's captured by the White Tower up to the end.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sandersons Perrin was way better than Jordans Perrin tbh

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Sandersons Perrin was way better than Jordans Perrin tbh

If we're talking general averages maybe but book 4 Perrin is the best Perrin

Perrin was my fave. I feel like Perrin and Faile have pretty much the only adult relationship in the whole book as well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not with that ridiculous jealousy of Faile's.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Not with that ridiculous jealousy of Faile's.

Yeah I'll give you that but I don't know, they seem to be the only ones that have problems and deal with it together as partners/equals.

Also to be fair to Faile, she was actually dead on about Berelain trying to crack on Perrin while Perrin spent the vast percentage of the time being like "what? No! That's crazy talk." which must have been infuriating as hell for her.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's also the culture clash - he's from an area where disagreements seem to be settled with stoic silence, while she's from an area that expects family members to regularly be screaming at each other. Given the high percentage of their scenes that are from Perrin's viewpoint, it is clear that a lot of her jealousy is filtered through that barrier.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like faile is one of the only few to respond in a relatively human way given the tendency for like 5-6 women to just pop up and start trying to throw themselves at a protagonist and said protagonist stupidly just shrugging and going 'I DUNNO' instead of saying directly that they have no interest in those people and that they're just being annoying

i mean i know it would defuse certain situations instantly if it happened that way but good lord it happens enough to where you have to wonder why none of them catch on beyond just convenience for writing

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Perrin has said to her, multiple times, that he's not interested in Berelin, and Faile is all, "well he hasn't screamed at me or tried to hit me yet, so he must be lying".

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mat and Rand both turn down their share of women. Hell, Rand builds an entire game of it for the maidens, and does so even while doing his best to accommodate their frankly insane attachment to the idea of him.

It’s just Perrin being written as a dullard who never lets any of his cleverness show up in his own thinking while being some kind of logistics savant that makes his interactions with women the worst.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

Yeah but Perrin has said to her, multiple times, that he's not interested in Berelin, and Faile is all, "well he hasn't screamed at me or tried to spank me yet, so he must be lying".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just make all the magic stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Then we good.

Yes, musical numbers must be included.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

"well he hasn't screamed at me or tried to hit me yet, so he must be lying".

Yeah okay fair cop. That stuff is so loving stupid I forgot it existed.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah but Perrin has said to her, multiple times, that he's not interested in Berelin, and Faile is all, "well he hasn't screamed at me or tried to hit me yet, so he must be lying".

The Faile/Perrin thing is a casualty of the long, slow spiral of the books and Jordan's death. Just like the extent of Rand's madness only really becomes apparent when you start getting outside viewpoints who can comment on his long silences punctuated by bursts of insane non-sequitur caused by arguments with Lews Therin, Faile's behavior mostly only makes sense when viewed from a non-Aiel impartial courtly observer, which we basically never got before Jordan's death.

Faile is a result of training in Saldean courtly behavior, where everyone hides their true intentions behind false masks and the only words worth trusting are the ones spoken in violent, unmistakable passion. Perrin keeps saying that he's uninterested in Berelain (true!) but he also says that she isn't trying to seduce him (false!) and he blindly keeps her close to him no matter how brazen she is in her pursuit of him, as if Berelain is a friend-zoned backup-girlfriend in case this whole "Faile" thing doesn't work out. To make an analogy; Perrin is Dermot Mulrooney, Faile is Cameron Diaz, and Berelain is the completely loving untrustworthy Julia Roberts.

Julia is not your best friend, Dermot. She wants to gently caress you. Stop trying to make her your best man.

So Faile, stung by the apparent contradiction between Perrin's words and deeds and feeling insecure, constantly pushes Perrin to the emotional breaking point, hoping to spark a reaction that she can use to divine his true intentions. But Perrin, being a good Two Rivers lad, thinks that you should never, ever get angry at a woman (because Nynaeve will hit you with a stick), so he hides his anger, which to Faile reads as intentional insincerity (which it technically is), so she pushes him even harder, until eventually he explodes. And Perrin's anger reveals his love, which makes Faile happy, which confuses the poo poo out of Perrin.

And then the books get stuck in a holding pattern and we repeat the cycle half a dozen times.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah that's one of the cases where Jordan's ability to make different cultures and mindsets fell down hard. Like it makes sense now that it was a culture clash of "never ever hurt a woman" and "only words said in violence can be trusted" and it was a comedy of errors between them, but it was so poorly executed (much like Winter's Heart in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s probably frustrating that Perrin can literally smell her emotions. He knows exactly how she’s feeling without her saying anything. In addition, he’s pretty stoic so Faile has no idea what Perrin is thinking. It’s pretty unbalanced until Perrin starts actually opening his mouth.