Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

pospysyl posted:

Did you read the book or this article about it? If you did read the book, how'd you get access to it? It sounds fascinating.

My local university library has a copy. Not OP but I assume something like that. Check WorldCat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

pospysyl posted:

Did you read the book or this article about it? If you did read the book, how'd you get access to it? It sounds fascinating.

both. my uni’s library has a copy of the book, which I will now be scanning into a pdf to keep because it’s impossible to find otherwise

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

both. my uni’s library has a copy of the book, which I will now be scanning into a pdf to keep because it’s impossible to find otherwise

there's a pdf on libgen

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

auf deutsch they had a reprinting somewhat recently (like 2k16) so clearly all that needs to happen is for the estate to give me, forums poster tree goat, permission to translate and print it in english, as is the case for all of the books in the genre of "surreal and slightly upsetting vergangenheitsbewältigung"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, thanks for sharing, read about 1/3 last night when I should have been sleeping.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm about to read The Merchant of Venice again. We talked in class s little about the Al Pacino Shylock and all I could think of was him channeling Tony Montana.

80s neon and lo fi film effect

H'okay mang, we gonna get this flesh, mang.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

i read this and it whips

that was really good and I'm gunna be thinking about it for a long time. thanks again for sharing

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
yo cyclonopedia rips

wasnt sure at first because initially it feels like reading mars volta lyrics but then it starts to blossom into something sweet

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

yo cyclonopedia rips

wasnt sure at first because initially it feels like reading mars volta lyrics but then it starts to blossom into something sweet

Just ordered that and Textermination.

I finished Warlight by Michael Ondaatje and was pretty disappointed. The sentences and paragraphs were all good by themselves but it fell apart when it got to the larger structures like most chapters (some were cool) and the book itself. For a narrative which says it wants to and has very many opportunities to address morally difficult situations and questions, it sure never gets around to it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
reread portnoy’s complaint for some reason and i still think more books should end like that lol

edit: forgot the word “end” somehow

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 22, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I kinda want to read that one but feel like I should grind my horny loser levels with Herzog and Rabbit, Run first.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
neither of those other books have antisemitic hand jobs or personally offended nixon so Roth wins again

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

im a little ways in to "the name of the rose" and for once im glad i went to catholic school because i feel like i'd be having a way harder time if i didn't already know what a lot of these terms mean

also how the gently caress is this one of the best selling books of all time? like don't get me wrong it's great but it doesn't exactly strike me as a book with mass appeal

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

im a little ways in to "the name of the rose" and for once im glad i went to catholic school because i feel like i'd be having a way harder time if i didn't already know what a lot of these terms mean

also how the gently caress is this one of the best selling books of all time? like don't get me wrong it's great but it doesn't exactly strike me as a book with mass appeal

There was a Sean Connery movie in the eighties which was hugely popular and made people think the book was a cool detective mystery. F Murray Abraham and Christian Slater were also in it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

yo cyclonopedia rips

despise this analogy but glad ur enjoying it btw make another occult lit thread cos i cant be bothered

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

believe it or not there's millions and millions of people in the intersection of (1) native Italian speakers and (2) Catholics

the sean connery film also helped, but a book has to be pretty well known anyway to get turned into a sean connery film

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Weirdly enough, when I was in Italy and talking about books and literature with people, none of them knew who Eco or Calvino were. They were more interested in Hunger Games at the time.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Weirdly enough, when I was in Italy and talking about books and literature with people, none of them knew who Eco or Calvino were. They were more interested in Hunger Games at the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How about Ferrante? I don't have a scale for how big she is there vs. how big she is on the internet

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Italians manage to have the worst taste in the world despite coming from Italy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Eco deliberately wrote the first bit of NotR, up to the monastery entrance, to be intimidating. Either you understand it, or you skip over it; if you step into the monastery, you can handle the rest of the book.

Also it really is a great story.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

keep reading more Eco after cuz everything he wrote is gold. well Numero Zero is a bit lackluster but he was almost dead so that's ok.

Focault's Pendulum and Baudolino are the best maybe but Island of the Day Before is my low key fave it's so weird and cool and nautical

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

How about Ferrante? I don't have a scale for how big she is there vs. how big she is on the internet

I was in Italy the year before this came out, so it wasn't on anyone's radar. I asked about The Solitude of Prime Numbers, which was really popular at the time, and they hadn't heard of that, either. They were all interested in American authors and American music more than their own writers.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
someone update rawhide kobayashi to make it about americans and italian literature tia

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Heath posted:

Older Italian guy I work with scoffed at it not being “real literature”. I followed up and it seemed like it was just a ‘women=inferior’ usual amount of idiocy.

I’m reading Gargantua and Pantagruel and it’s like a cartoon. I wish the Ren & Stimpy guy wasn’t a sex-pest and had made this into a 100 episode series, instead. The scene-to-scene changes in size and scope of how big things are, the absurdly large and specific numbers (six hundred thousand and fourteen dogs peeing on some lady), the debate which is 4 pages of people sticking their fingers into their faces and making gestures, etc. I finished Don Quixote not too long ago, next is Simplicius, and after will be Tristram Shandy. Any other recommendations for this kind of work?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a woman who worked at the bookshop in Bergen's house of literature also scoffed at Ferrante

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the ferrante books are good but i didn’t read the last one so

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The North Tower posted:

Older Italian guy I work with scoffed at it not being “real literature”. I followed up and it seemed like it was just a ‘women=inferior’ usual amount of idiocy.

I’m reading Gargantua and Pantagruel and it’s like a cartoon. I wish the Ren & Stimpy guy wasn’t a sex-pest and had made this into a 100 episode series, instead. The scene-to-scene changes in size and scope of how big things are, the absurdly large and specific numbers (six hundred thousand and fourteen dogs peeing on some lady), the debate which is 4 pages of people sticking their fingers into their faces and making gestures, etc. I finished Don Quixote not too long ago, next is Simplicius, and after will be Tristram Shandy. Any other recommendations for this kind of work?

Anything by Pynchon, V. is especially playful. The Man Who Was Thursday, Celine’s Journey to the End of the Night.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The North Tower posted:

I finished Don Quixote not too long ago, next is Simplicius, and after will be Tristram Shandy. Any other recommendations for this kind of work?
Lucian's True History.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The North Tower posted:

Place de l'Etoile by Patrick Modiano is in the same ballpark.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Seven Samurai Swept Away in a River by Jung Young Moon is really funny. I wish I could travel somewhere with him

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i read some book recently where a main character was really disappointed his son just read Three Men in a Boat over and over.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

i read some book recently where a main character was really disappointed his son just read Three Men in a Boat over and over.

are you sure the book wasn't Three Men in a Boat and the disappointed man was your dad?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
ehehehehe

no it was actually The Sandcastle by Iris Murdoch i had to look into my library history to remember the title it was a good book, i like books that make academics look like stuffy morons one decision away from ruining their life and the lives of those around them.

also my dad reads dumb poo poo like tom clancy worship

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The North Tower posted:

Water Margin reminded me strongly of Rabelais. The unabridged text is a little intimidating but it's loads of fun throughout.

Heath posted:

She's really huge in France. Each novel in her big trilogy sold 1 million+ copies which barely ever happens for contemporary lit over here.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Farina

Vonnegut's stuff like Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions is probably on your radar.

Roald "anti-semite" Dahl's My Uncle Oswald is very funny and playful and weird, but having not read it in a decade, there may be some off-color/bigot stuff that I didn't notice. Could be wrong, though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think there's a fair chance that the sex comedy about spermjacking famous people could be "off-color".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think there's a fair chance that the sex comedy about spermjacking famous people could be "off-color".

I meant with anti-antisemitism or racist remarks about the celebrities they're stealing from.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The North Tower posted:

at swim-two-birds by flann o'brien and ferdydurke by witold gombrowicz are both very fun weird comedic books. the golden rear end by apuleius is the original picaresque 'stuff just happens' and it owns. dead souls by gogol has lots of numbers and is extremely funny. moscow - petushki by venedikt erofeev is about a man getting drunk on a train and is probably the closest out of these to what i assume you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

The North Tower posted:

Older Italian guy I work with scoffed at it not being “real literature”.

is a pretty popular take, actually