Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but is Greivous supposed to be like foreshadowing for Vader or something like that?

I interpret it that way. The cough really ties it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ungulateman posted:

maul is angry at the jedi

dooku is angry at the republic

grievous is angry at himself

combine them all together and you get vader

Also Mauls anger, Dookus regal attitude and Grievous being a mechano-man

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre the Sith of Christmas Past, Present, and Future

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Grevious is definitely a pilot program for Vader. Obi can finish off grevious but not vader bc he is a racist. He uses the "more machine now than man" line on Luke to dehumanize his old brother/son. This of course doesn't play once Luke has a robot hand

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
here's my obi wan show pitch:

it's police squad, but in space, and Ewan MacGregor is the Leslie Nielsen character

e: oj is still norbert in it, obviously.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To repeat what I've said before and what was said upthread, the key difference between Disney star wars and the MCU is that, at the end of the day, nobody really cares enough about the MCU to notice the seams popping. Like, people like the MCU, sure, but actual comics nerds don't make up a noticeable percentage of the base, and most people aren't really invested past the base "sure, I'll go watch this big blockbuster movie" level. There just isn't the same per-person energy there as star wars, a series infamous for how much the fans wild out.

If you actually break down the MCU, all of the problems the sequel trilogy has are prefigured in it - ROS walking back TLJ is even predicted by how Age of Ultron just casually undoes the entire plot of Winter Soldier so it can use the old status quo. Obvious rewrites, plot threads being established and dropped, tonal dissonance and terrible punch-up, elaborating on things that don't really need elaboration, all of it is there. The key difference is that whereas most people's investment in the MCU is "yeah okay, sure," people invested in Star Wars are invested as gently caress in Star Wars. People grew up with these movies, these characters, these stories, and they have deeply ingrained ideas of how they're supposed to go, and that hypervigilance tunes them in to the sloppy filmmaking and dodgy franchise-buolding they weren't keyed in enough to notice in the MCU. , If you look at the real comics heads, the people who actually do have deep investment in marvel, they made very similar complaints about Endgame et al as you're seeing from RoS now, and that's not a coincidence.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Grevious is definitely a pilot program for Vader. Obi can finish off grevious but not vader bc he is a racist. He uses the "more machine now than man" line on Luke to dehumanize his old brother/son. This of course doesn't play once Luke has a robot hand

Maul, Dooku, and Grievous are all proto-Vaders. Palpatine has an established M.O.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Comic book nerds are also extremely familiar with all of the dumb poo poo that can happen in huge franchises like bad retcons, editorial influence, creators disagreeing with other creators, fan backlash, fans becoming writers, etc.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ingmar terdman posted:

But Vader is technically more machine man, I think. Vader's actual flesh and blood is head + torso and everything else is robot parts. When you do the math on body mass composistion, its gotta be around 50/50

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
your humanity is not determined by how few robot parts you have. (this is a key part of why midichlorians are a sign that the jedi are dumb!)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ungulateman posted:

your humanity is not determined by how few robot parts you have.

Look at this loser who doesn't play Shadowrun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pigbuster posted:

Maz’s bar really stuck out to me with this. Rather than be in a city it’s just sitting alone out in the wilderness. I guess everyone drives home drunk.

It’s a very good example of terrible design, because the basic concept of Maz’s bar is “space truck-stop” - with the additional details being that it’s 1000 years old (predating the Republic), and used exclusively by low-level criminals.

[That’s according to the script - although we should note that Disney does not release the actual scripts. The officially-released scripts are reverse-engineered from the completed films.]

Nothing about the design conveys these points - while details like the statue in front and the fact that it’s a crappy stone temple imply that this thing is significantly older than we know. What the design actually conveys is that Maz is way older than 1000 years, was worshipped as some kind of oracle or goddess, and just ‘recently’ converted her temple to an informal restaurant because she was bored or something.

There’s a grain of an interesting concept here: a low-level pagan deity who, for lack of followers, goes into buisiness for herself. And, in fact, Maz is so low-level and obscure that she’s escaped any Imperial attention over the last several decades - which means she is also so inoffensive as to have never challenged them. We can presume that Maz was changed from an oracle to ‘merely’ a popular restaurant manager was one of the last-minute rewrites.

But, in any case, the issue is that this backstory is much less important to the final film than more pertinent questions like: where does the food come from? Who’s cooking? How much do things cost? Those are basic things instantly conveyed by Lucas in his films (see: Dex’s diner), and are vitally important because they tell us how these characters relate to the rest of the galaxy. That’s to say: how does Maz’s bar fit into the Republic economy? Why is there this massive clientele of space criminals? Etc.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s a very good example of terrible design, because the basic concept of Maz’s bar is “space truck-stop” - with the additional details being that it’s 1000 years old (predating the Republic), and used exclusively by low-level criminals.

[That’s according to the script - although we should note that Disney does not release the actual scripts. The officially-released scripts are reverse-engineered from the completed films.]

Nothing about the design conveys these points - while details like the statue in front and the fact that it’s a crappy stone temple imply that this thing is significantly older than we know. What the design actually conveys is that Maz is way older than 1000 years, was worshipped as some kind of oracle or goddess, and just ‘recently’ converted her temple to an informal restaurant because she was bored or something.

There’s a grain of an interesting concept here: a low-level pagan deity who, for lack of followers, goes into buisiness for herself. And, in fact, Maz is so low-level and obscure that she’s escaped any Imperial attention over the last several decades - which means she is also so inoffensive as to have never challenged them. We can presume that Maz was changed from an oracle to ‘merely’ a popular restaurant manager was one of the last-minute rewrites.

But, in any case, the issue is that this backstory is much less important to the final film than more pertinent questions like: where does the food come from? Who’s cooking? How much do things cost? Those are basic things instantly conveyed by Lucas in his films (see: Dex’s diner), and are vitally important because they tell us how these characters relate to the rest of the galaxy. That’s to say: how does Maz’s bar fit into the Republic economy? Why is there this massive clientele of space criminals? Etc.

I've seen the "pagan diety working for itself" on Supernatural (where it was done way better than here). As for the space criminals, it's the Outer Rim. The only people traveling around there are heavily guarded corporate freighters, the First Order, the Resistance, the desperate and the rear end in a top hat criminals that prey on the desperate and try to prey on the freighter. Of those groups, none but the criminals frequent Maz's place.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Disney, make Seinfeld in Star Wars, you cowards!
"Hello, Jabba."
"Rancor hands!"
"Watto is getting upset!"
"No blue milk for you!"
"Yoda yoda yoda."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

McCloud posted:

Also Mauls anger, Dookus regal attitude and Grievous being a mechano-man
I think Lucas' terms mapping to Vader were roughly:

Maul: ferocity
Dooku: cunning
Grievous: machine

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To repeat what I've said before and what was said upthread, the key difference between Disney star wars and the MCU is that, at the end of the day, nobody really cares enough about the MCU to notice the seams popping.

I don’t think this is it. I guess it’s true that Star Wars fans are more likely to care about continuity, but the new Star Wars has consistently done worst in places like China where there’s no nostalgia for the original. The sequel movies are just bad on their own merits.

If anything the fandom and obsession over the older movies is the only thing that kept the sequel trilogy alive. If you didn’t have massive name recognition and tons of people already invested, The Force Awakens would just be a flop with no sequels.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Guy A. Person posted:

Even then there's this weirdness where by explaining Han's use of 'parsecs' so it 'makes sense' in real world astronomical terms, the original dialogue is now less clear:

"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? ... It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs..."

So under the new canon he's effectively saying "Is my ship fast? It's famous for taking a short cut one time, so yeah pretty fast!"

It's much cooler and more fun if the roguish pilot hiding in a seedy bar from mafia hitmen is just bullshitting, instead of being weirdly truthful but also going on barely relevant non-sequiturs when talking about his ship

The new info makes it so he's kind of still bullshitting(the Falcon is fast... if you need a quick route through an obstacle course), so I'm ok with it

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The problem is that Lucas Kasdan, JJ abrams et al didn't approach Star Wars as a setting in which to tell stories, but as a set of tropes meant to invoke the emotional feel of the original. Everything in the sequel trilogy exists to mimic so element of the original trilogy, because to the TFA writers, what makes a Star Wars story isn't a galaxy with hyperspace lanes and a mystical connection called the force, but a group of plucky protagonist rebels fighting against ersatz Nazis with some mysterious shadowy necromancer at the helm. It's like if someone read a cliff's notes of the first 3 movies and wrote a checklist of things that needed to be in their fanfiction. The MCU movies at least are just taking loose plot points from the enormous pile of canon stories, but Star Wars has no canon anymore, all it has is the rough plot outline of the first 3 movies, to riff on forever.

It doesn't feel like real stories, it feels like one of those schlocky sci-fi movies that come out trying to ape big productions to trick idiots into buying the DVD.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ungulateman posted:

your humanity is not determined by how few robot parts you have. (this is a key part of why midichlorians are a sign that the jedi are dumb!)

The midichlorians are used to determine how strong someone is with the Force, not how human they are

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Everyone posted:

As for the space criminals, it's the Outer Rim. The only people traveling around there are heavily guarded corporate freighters, the First Order, the Resistance, the desperate and the rear end in a top hat criminals that prey on the desperate and try to prey on the freighter. Of those groups, none but the criminals frequent Maz's place.

Hang on; none of that is shown (or even explained) in the movie.

Also, Maz's bar is specifically not in the Outer Rim. FN is trying to reach the Outer Rim (which, we are to understand, is a lawless place, far from the conflict, where people can 'disappear'). Maz's bar is implied to be in (or near) a place called "The Western Reaches".

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 25, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

The midichlorians are used to determine how strong someone is with the Force, not how human they are

Of all the Jedi I have encountered in my travels, Yoda was the most human.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's really weird how there is not a town or city next to Maz's bar. It's just in a forest with nothing near it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Did she inexplicably join the resistance between VIII and IX? I recall that she was in IX but have no recollection of a single thing she did or said.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I forget, does Maz's space truck stop have a parking lot?

The Little Death posted:

It's like if someone read a cliff's notes of the first 3 movies and wrote a checklist of things that needed to be in their fanfiction.

It doesn't feel like real stories, it feels like one of those schlocky sci-fi movies that come out trying to ape big productions to trick idiots into buying the DVD.
It's not like that, it's precisely that.

That's why I compare Episode IX to Starcrash. EXCEPT! The main obstacle for Star Wars ripoffs is lack of money. Here, the obstacle is the micromanagement that comes part and parcel with the practically unlimited budget.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Keeping maz alive past TFA is even weirder than keeping Phasma alive. Her centuries old castle-bar is in ruins, her sword and sorcery talk is done, it's really strange that she didn't basically have the same death as Saw Gerara. Also it's pretty funny that she's a pirates of the caribbean robot in 9.

Sequels are weirdly concerned about keeping everyone around when the first six have supporting characters weave in and out of the films. On one hand, Tarkin is killed off in the first one because they weren't anticipating a sequel perhaps, so Hux is sort of splitting the difference between having a character role crossed with Piett's being in multiple films and ultimately getting killed.

But the sequels are like...having Lobot show up at the battle of endor or something. Del Toro's character of course the exception

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Sort-of; there are dozens of old pavestone'd areas around her lake that have been repurposed(?) as landing pads.

Jewmanji posted:

Did she inexplicably join the resistance between VIII and IX? I recall that she was in IX but have no recollection of a single thing she did or said.

Yes, and your memory is accurate; she doesn't do anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvafvTnji-Y&t=131s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That should be canon.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hang on; none of that is shown (or even explained) in the movie.

Also, Maz's bar is specifically not in the Outer Rim. FN is trying to reach the Outer Rim (which, we are to understand, is a lawless place, far from the conflict, where people can 'disappear'). Maz's bar is implied to be in (or near) a place called "The Western Reaches".

Maz's bar seems to be in the "Hosnian system" as they all have a view of Hux blowing up Coruscant.

Halloween Jack posted:

Sort-of; there are dozens of old pavestone'd areas around her lake that have been repurposed(?) as landing pads.

Paved centuries ago, currently covered in wood chips?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maz's only role is to deliver expository dialogue, so they're keeping her around to play the Cryptkeeper/Uatu role for future franchise products.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

wyoming posted:

Maz's bar seems to be in the "Hosnian system" as they all have a view of Hux blowing up Coruscant.

Speaking of this, Coruscant/Hosnian is located in the Core but Starkiller Base is in the Unknown Regions. Based on what we see in the film, whatever Starkiller Base is firing is definitely traveling sublight so it should take an eternity to...

quote:

The people stationed at the base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace", and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances.
According to a tweet from Pablo Hidalgo, the vast quantities of energy released by firing of the Starkiller weapon had the ability to create a temporary rip in sub-hyperspace, thus allowing the Hosnian system's destruction to be viewed from across the galaxy as it occured.

And he deleted the tweet
https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/677919736873684992

The handwaviest of handwaves

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The writers just forgot how big space is

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a provocative idea, the notion that everyone is aware of this atrocity the way Obi-Wan was aware of the destruction of Alderaan. And it's even conveyed visually! They just didn't do anything with it, or develop it any further, or even mention it again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Little Death posted:

The writers just forgot how big space is
Abrams! :argh:

Same thing in his Star Trek movies; the Enterprise whizzes to wherever in the galaxy the plot requires in a few minutes. (And Spock gets from the shuttlebay to the bridge by turbolift faster than OG Scotty or O'Brien could have transported him.)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Spock watches Romulus get blown up from Vulcan with his naked eye.

Abrams just doesn't understand how space works.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Simplex posted:

Spock watches Romulus get blown up from Vulcan with his naked eye.

Abrams just doesn't understand how space works.

I was gonna mention this, lol.

But ehh, whatever. Neat visual.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a provocative idea, the notion that everyone is aware of this atrocity the way Obi-Wan was aware of the destruction of Alderaan. And it's even conveyed visually! They just didn't do anything with it, or develop it any further, or even mention it again.

imagine the existential dread of a planet destroying beam of energy ticking toward planets full of billions of people as the republic scrambles to evacuate and mount an attack on starkiller base.

the first film should have ended with starkiller firing, the 2nd film shows the response, the third film covers the destruction of the weapon-planet.

nope we do nothing new with star wars.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: "they didn't understand real physics"

The other possibility is that storytellers aren't interested in appeasing NDT types when composing fantasy

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Blood Boils posted:

Re: "they didn't understand real physics"

The other possibility is that storytellers aren't interested in appeasing NDT types when composing fantasy

It's not like it takes an astrophysics degree to understand that for you to see something from a planet with the level of detail shown, it would have to be pretty close by. I guess they didn't care about appeasing that niche group of nerds, people who have ever looked up at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Star Wars has never realistically dealt with the size and scope of space. The consensus best movie in the series handwaves both space and time. As I have said before, Star Wars functions on what Bakhtin calls "adventure time". Things are as near or far as they need to be for drama and excitement.