Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Turn off that idiot part of your brain. Keep the part that thinks about story, themes and character

But stories with no grounded rules or limitations on what can happen end up being hollow nonsense that run by author fiat, which is why JJ's films always end up being stream of consciousness garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s always exceptions but does it annoy you that there are explosions and sound in Star Wars battles?

If so I feel sorry for you

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

multijoe posted:

'It's about adventure, not scientific pedantry!' does just feel like another iteration of 'just turn off your brain!'

It’s a false dichotomy, because “turn off your brain” and Wookieepedia-style plot summaries are both escapes from literacy. Understanding this can help us make distinctions between different cases.

In the example of the Star Trek movie, the common objection is that the two planetoids should not be so close to eachother because of the canon - and that’s a genuine case of who-gives-a-poo poo, because there’s no actual reason why the fictional planet Vulcan can’t have an icy moon or whatever.

In the case of TFA, however, the impossibility of the image is a vital piece of the information: FN sees something that is, at the very least, in another solar system. And that means that FN is hallucinating - that the fabric of reality itself is disintegrating, he’s having some kind of collective apocalyptic vision, whatever.

Either that or, as Pablo tries to rationalize things, the red laser literally destroys reality. Tomato, tomato.

Hopefully you can see the issues here: if taken literally, the stupid Republic slapfight is absolutely trivial compared to this bizarre weapon that’s pumping weird radiation across the entire galaxy. But, if FN is ‘just having vision’, the film doesn’t do anything with his ability to prophecy. Both things just come and go - and wasn’t this supposed to be something about the Republic fleet protecting Luke Skywalker?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Rey should've had her own ship, instead of getting the Falcon.

Did she keep the Falcon at the end of RoS? I’m sure Chewbacca was cool with that. Especially after Rey tried to kill him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Millenium Falcon is really cool because:

-It's a flying saucer with a car taped to the side
-It's a space bachelor apartment
-It reads as aerodynamic and I don't know why
-The cockpit is super well-designed and impactful. Go back to movies from the 50s where space ships are these big open spaces. The cockpit is smart because it brings the characters together in an easily film-able space. Look at TOS Star Trek when you have Spock to the side at his station compared to TNG which is designed so all the principals can easily be in the same shot.
-It has a satellite dish which I feel is pretty sharp

Also, there's supposed to be an absolute fuckton of other ships that look just like it - which helps Han Solo, a smuggler, evade detection.

The Millennium Falcon is basically a 2009 (in 2020) crappy-looking White Toyota Camry that has machine guns in the headlights, undercarriage rockets and armor-plating. And can also go like 180 MPH with 0-60 in three seconds.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Rey wins the Star Wars by collecting all of the goodies. In Episode X, the adventures will be about Rey retrieving Boba Fett's helmet, Wicket's spear, Boss Nass' globe, and Willrow Hood's camtono.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I forget, do we even see anyone besides Finn react to the planet destruction as if they can visibly see it? Given that it's almost certain that a "Finn is Force sensitive" plot was cut from TFA, I could totally believe that it was initially supposed to be done kind of non-literal vision he receives that was edited into an actual reaction shot when disney nixed that subplot.

This doesn't solve the actual problem, that the depiction is incredibly loving artless in execution, but it could explain how it got past the entire production staff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone on Maz’s planet sees it and reacts to it. Finn explains it to everyone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finn heard people screaming and turns and sees it. Idk maybe it was a killed plot point. It’s bad ADR stuff

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

When I watched that scene I thought it was communicating that the Republic was in the same star system as Maz's world. It wasn't until a few scenes later that I realized that couldn't be the case.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

There’s always exceptions but does it annoy you that there are explosions and sound in Star Wars battles?

If so I feel sorry for you

literally noone is saying this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

literally noone is saying this

I mean, they basically are though? Concerning yourself with how exact/realistic the science is behind the ability to see planets destroyed while on another planet is in the same realm of being upset that there are explosive sounds during space battles in Star Wars. There is no sound in space.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Improbable as it may seem, there's a difference between the concept of consistency and hard science fiction.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

teagone posted:

I mean, they basically are though? Concerning yourself with how exact/realistic the science is behind the ability to see planets destroyed while on another planet is in the same realm of being upset that there are explosive sounds during space battles in Star Wars. There is no sound in space.

Also technically no one should ever be able to see anything in Star Wars because of the speed of light.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

The sound effects are easily understood as functioning like the orchestral score, or like the text at the start of each film. They’re extradiegetic.

The bit in TFA is like if the characters in the film suddenly started commenting on the Williams music, for one scene. “Where is it coming from???”

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was going to say how fun that would have been then I realized that movie more or less already exists.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The sound effects are easily understood as functioning like the orchestral score, or like the text at the start of each film. They’re extradiegetic.

The bit in TFA is like if the characters in the film suddenly started commenting on the Williams music, for one scene. “Where is it coming from???”

Nah man I'm fairly sure the intro text is flying around in space

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

teagone posted:

I mean, we all know that it's not real—no movies except for hard documentaries are (And even then...) What matters is the logistical consistency within the movie, so that each film feels real within the bounds it places for itself, and within the bounds of the overall franchise/story.

To use an example that's near and dear to my heart, back in the early 2000s there was a game called Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. It was a tactical FPS set in World War II with an utter devotion to realism, down to using period air recon maps and photos for the level design (To the point that, having been to Normandy in the years since, I could identify some of the sites used in the game that were still around). Its sequels, Earned in Blood and Hell's Highway also shared this devotion to realism, crafting a Band of Brothers-like story within the game. It was awesome and unique!

Then, Gearbox announced the next sequel would be called Furious Four, have little if anything to do with the previous games other than the name, and feature rootin' tootin' Nazi shootin', complete with a native american sterotype character and a big beefy dude running around with a minigun. Regardless of what kind of a game it would have been on its own merits, people did not want this game to be a part of the Brothers in Arms story, and eventually it was quietly canceled.

Obviously the new Star Wars films aren't nearly as much of a drastic departure compared to what came before as Furious Four was to Road to Hill 30, but hopefully you can see my point: There was an internal logic and tone to how things worked in the older Star Wars films, including the prequels, that the newer movies have ignored—things like being able to see the Starkiller death ray, or hyperspace travel now being effectively instantaneous being especially egregious. And sure, not everyone is going to care, but it's just one more thing that can bring people out of the film to question the logic behind what they're seeing—And the sequels do that a LOT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The flow of time itself has become convoluted.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I forget, do we even see anyone besides Finn react to the planet destruction as if they can visibly see it? Given that it's almost certain that a "Finn is Force sensitive" plot was cut from TFA, I could totally believe that it was initially supposed to be done kind of non-literal vision he receives that was edited into an actual reaction shot when disney nixed that subplot.

This doesn't solve the actual problem, that the depiction is incredibly loving artless in execution, but it could explain how it got past the entire production staff.

There's screaming and then Finn turns to look up at the sky but they never establish if he alone can hear it or if it's just a thematic thing? By the time he runs back to Maz's to explain what has happened everyone is outside and looking up as well.

That would've been a cool way to demonstrate Finn as Force Sensitive but I think it's just sloppy or incoherent editing.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Over-the-top action films like Commando are obviously not meant to be realistic but if John Matrix suddenly used a rocket launcher to do a rocket jump and then bit somebody's head off, it would suddenly be absurd.

It's the same with Star Wars. Sounds in space are a pretty minor thing. They are also an established sci-fi trope. It's kinda like guns clicking when handled in the movies. The visible-in-real-time planet destruction it's in a different ballpark, because it messes up with a commonly known understanding of physics that can't be handwaved with sci-fi technology. It's as if Finn, upon seeing the destruction, starting flying around while waving his arms like a bird.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
man, that new kylo ren undercover boss skit is horrible. it's like they missed what made the first one entertaining, and capping it off with a repeat of the bit where darth vader stabs a woman in the gut felt gratuitous and offensive

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't know poo poo about space but I do know I can't see other planets when I look up.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

sassassin posted:

I don't know poo poo about space but I do know I can't see other planets when I look up.

You can see Mars p easily, Venus too maybe I forget

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blood Boils posted:

You can see Mars p easily, Venus too maybe I forget

I'm looking but I don't see them.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It’s easy to see the planets cause they get bigger as they explode.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Everyone posted:

Also, there's supposed to be an absolute fuckton of other ships that look just like it - which helps Han Solo, a smuggler, evade detection.

The Millennium Falcon is basically a 2009 (in 2020) crappy-looking White Toyota Camry that has machine guns in the headlights, undercarriage rockets and armor-plating. And can also go like 180 MPH with 0-60 in three seconds.

Thanks actually for this because I was to ask was the Falcon a one-off or flew off the assembly line like a Model-T did.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks actually for this because I was to ask was the Falcon a one-off or flew off the assembly line like a Model-T did.

I would amend this and say it's more like a beat up u-haul

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kidkissinger posted:

I would amend this and say it's more like a beat up u-haul

Han pulls out a contract where Obi-Wan had to check some boxes and make sure it came back with the right amount of fuel before signing his name.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Han does say he's made 'special modifications' to it, which implies it wasn't custom built.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In the old days of the EU, backstory info was kinda scarce so as a Star Wars nerd when you learn that Han is from Correllia and the Falcon is technically a Correllian freighter, it was easy to assume that this was the standard design for all Correllian freighters. The natural instinct was to take the little bits of information and try to use them to fill out the whole world of Star Wars in your own imagination.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jisforjosh posted:

Nah man I'm fairly sure the intro text is flying around in space

I'm really disappointed now that at no point in any film does a tie fighter crash into the intro text from ANH mid-fight

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really disappointed now that at no point in any film does a tie fighter crash into the intro text from ANH mid-fight

I'm genuinely shocked this wasn't already a gag in Spaceballs

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You'd think Disney would be a little bit concerned with keeping the Star Wars universe a place where things kind of make sense. They payed all this money basically for the right to be able to tell stories in that setting, and now they're wiping their feet all over the carpet. As it is now:

-The concept of travel has basically no rules
-Any faction can have immediate access to unlimited resources any time the plot calls for it
-Anyone can come back from the dead at any time with no explanation

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 27, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Right? How has no one done it yet?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Guy A. Person posted:

Same, when I was younger I had it in my mind that it was a gag in Spaceballs but apparently that was just a fever dream.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

General Dog posted:

You'd think Disney would be a little bit concerned with keeping the Star Wars universe a place where things kind of make sense. They payed all this money basically for the right to be able to tell stories in that setting, and now they're wiping their feet all over the carpet. As it is now:

-Any faction can have immediate access to unlimited resources any time the plot calls for it

To be fair those are all features not bugs if you assume the objective is to remove any hurdles in the way of generating as much star wars content as quickly as possible

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

To be fair those are all features not bugs if you assume the objective is to remove any hurdles in the way of generating as much star wars content as quickly as possible

Yea the objective seems to be to keep as many options open as possible. Which means you don't want to really allow the audience to fully get their head around the overall status quo, because then they'll expect you to follow up on that. Disney would rather force you to deal with some disorientation with each new film so that they can have free reign to be as reactionary as they want based on their board meetings and focus groups.

Oh this movie was too predictable? Ok, well lets kill of a major character apropos of nothing in the next one, that'll take care of that complaint. Oh, fans didn't like what we did with Luke in that one? Ok well gently caress it let's just bring back The Emperor, that'll give the fans that classic Star Wars nostalgia hit they've been asking for....and so on without having to really consider whether what you're doing fits with what came before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah, and that's clearly been the strategy since day 1, judging by TFA's refusal to establish any kind of broader context for the Resistance-First Order conflict. It bothered me then, but it's quite stunning and almost kind of impressive that they actually managed to complete the trilogy without ever really answering anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

I mean, they don't want a world building canon setting that makes sense, they want the name Star Wars and to be able to rehash whatever is most popular when associate with the name Star Wars as much as possible.