Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

Here you go. The Dragon Ball Wiki is always removing & updating attack names based on whatever Heroes or Xenoverse decides to pull out their arses so it can be hard to keep up with what alot of characters moves are 'actually' called

I'm not crazy! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i came across dragonball; broly again recently, and it's probably my favorite of the super movies. story wise, it is miles beyond the original broly movie. it's not that i necessarily think the original was entirely bad, it's just that i absolutely loving hated broly's motivation (if you can even call it that), and it was bad enough that it brought down the rest of the movie as well. broly in db: broly is similar to the original in that he can be an uncontrollable rage monster, but i really liked that they also humanized him a bit more. and him losing his mind makes a lot more sense and is far less idiotic than hearing goku cry a lot. the action scenes and fight choreography are without a doubt, the absolutely best in any of the movies (including pre-super), and this movie did what almost every prior movie, and the series as well, failed to do: it helped provide a sense of scale to demonstrate broly's power.

also, the animation was interesting in that it was by far and away the most dynamic the series has ever been. there are barely any still shots or panning shots that are typical of anime movies. everything feels so energetic and kinetic. not necessarily saying that it's a good thing, but it was unorthodox.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My main motivation for watching Broly was mainly for the past parts cause seeing how the Saiyan society functioned and how they came to work under Frieza in the past in a post-Super retcon was super interesting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly Funi still had a known serial harasser and abuser do dub work for Broly, which sours the film a bit

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

Sadly Funi still had a known serial harasser and abuser do dub work for Broly, which sours the film a bit

Only if you watch that particular dub. Also, he'll never reprise the character again, so that's a good thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, these days I'm a sub guy, but I grew up on after school DBZ , so I have a very special place in my heart for dubbed DBZ. I need a cut that's Japanese Broly and English everyone else. And nobody comments on it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

jivjov posted:

At least the major success of the movie likely led to more light being shined on Vic's disgusting behaviour, so the movie inadvertently caused the end of his career.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Born of Broly, made men by Broly, undone by Broly. Fear Broly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm hoping they'll redub broly with JYB but that's probably too much money to be worth it

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Mr Interweb posted:

it's not that i necessarily think the original was entirely bad, it's just that i absolutely loving hated broly's motivation (if you can even call it that)

Hard agree. Before the DBS Broly movie even existed, I always thought it would've made way more sense for Broly to hate Vegeta and that the Kakarot!!!!!!!1 thing always felt shoehorned in just because Goku was the main character.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

goku and broly being sympathetic to one another, related to each other as low-classes and offworlds, is incredibly blessed

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is no pre-Super Broly, as far as I'm concerned.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I never watched the old Broly movies as a young'un, so he was never anything but a joke to me, at best.

New Broly is precious to me, and must be protected.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

There is no pre-Super Broly, as far as I'm concerned.

Toriyama would agree with you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pyrus Malus posted:

Hard agree. Before the DBS Broly movie even existed, I always thought it would've made way more sense for Broly to hate Vegeta and that the Kakarot!!!!!!!1 thing always felt shoehorned in just because Goku was the main character.

broly having such a stupid reason for hating goku was the only good/toriyama-esque thing about old broly

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

90s Broly can now be an alternate-timeline castoff instead of the now-actualized version who gets to be potential killer app I Can't Believe It's Not Goku Or Vegeta! megalime flavor third recurring protag

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t really see it as Toriyama-esque at all. Toriyama’s villains tend to be petty and immature and greedy in very simple ways. Freeza wants to rule everything, Cell wants to have fun, Buu is hangry, Beerus wants anything that annoys him to explode, General Red wants to be taller. Going permanently insane because a baby cried when you were a baby is just dumb. Who even does that.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 30, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

if it makes you feel any better...

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1222626306333999104

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Augus posted:

I don’t really see it as Toriyama-esque at all. Toriyama’s villains tend to be petty and immature and greedy in very simple ways. Freeza wants to rule everything, Cell wants to have fun, Buu is hangry, Beerus wants anything that annoys him to explode, General Red wants to be taller. Going permanently insane because a baby cried when you were a baby is just dumb. Who even does that.

Android 21 is horny/hungry so she fits in the toriyama mold.

Wait is DBZ Kakarot Canon or not? I've heard people saying it is supposed to show stuff you don't get to see in the show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Its not canon. Canon is entirely subjective

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Siegkrow posted:

Android 21 is horny/hungry so she fits in the toriyama mold.

Wait is DBZ Kakarot Canon or not? I've heard people saying it is supposed to show stuff you don't get to see in the show.

Perhaps the real canon is the friends we made along the way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Perhaps the real canon is the friends we made along the way.

Is that why they're special?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Brother Entropy posted:

broly having such a stupid reason for hating goku was the only good/toriyama-esque thing about old broly

Yeah, somehow this is also true.

Just thinkin about the old days of DBZ where all the incredibly overserious screamy shounen stuff would be punctuated by just the most bafflingly batshit writing.

If anything DBS has at least got a better balance between gags and shounen stuff but I do feel like we lost something along the way............... :rip:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The biggest strike against Old Broly's backstory being a Toriyama-style joke is that it's not a joke at all. The movie plays it completely deadly serious. They 100% want you to believe this is a legitimate origin for their main villain's evil rampage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

The biggest strike against Old Broly's backstory being a Toriyama-style joke is that it's not a joke at all. The movie plays it completely deadly serious. They 100% want you to believe this is a legitimate origin for their main villain's evil rampage.

It's awful, yeah

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

exactly. it's not like say, i dunno, janemba where he's the result of the concentrated evil from an evil cleaning machine and his initial form comes out as some fat, stupid lumbering oaf.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean, devil's advocate, if I got stabbed and almost blown up the same day I heard somebody crying as a baby I might not like that person either, especially if I'd gotten way crazier since then.

He should really have hated Vegeta though, but that's a DBZ movie for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Black August posted:

goku and broly being sympathetic to one another, related to each other as low-classes and offworlds, is incredibly blessed

I think Broly's upper-class or at least middle-class though, his dad being a Saiyan war hero and everything

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

this is true, i'm just saying the concept itself is fine and kinda funny even if they bungled it in execution

still for the best that super gave him an actually interesting background

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The best thing about Broly is that he couldn't go super saiyan from the get-go and Freeza was just utterly dumbfounded by that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shyrka posted:

The best thing about Broly is that he couldn't go super saiyan from the get-go and Freeza was just utterly dumbfounded by that.

That whole scene of Paragus responding "Super Saiyan is only a legend!" and Frieza brainblasting how to cause the transformation was perfection.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gruckles posted:

That whole scene of Paragus responding "Super Saiyan is only a legend!" and Frieza brainblasting how to cause the transformation was perfection.

"...hold on a sec."
"Wait wha-"
*zap!*
"*ahem*...BROLY LOOK!!!!!"

Still the best gag in Dragon Ball history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I love the absolute hell out of evil bastard Frieza.

Also if you ever need a visual indication of how popular Super/Dragonball as a whole is...

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/1222828482931019777?s=20

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I love the absolute hell out of evil bastard Frieza.

Also if you ever need a visual indication of how popular Super/Dragonball as a whole is...

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/1222828482931019777?s=20

Loling at how sharp a drop Yokai Watch had, makes me happy to see dragon ball so popular though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Are they using a pic of the Red 2017 Power Ranger to represent Super Sentai?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mateo360 posted:

Are they using a pic of the Red 2017 Power Ranger to represent Super Sentai?

Kinda speaks volumes to how it tumbles I guess

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus christ, this is official art and yet it's genuinely worse than a lot of terrible fan art I've seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1222748290510282752

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whose arm is that

What the actual Hell where do you even begin

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Gogeta looks fine but what the hell happened to Trunks arm? It's like coming out of the top of his shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you just showed me that drawing without Gogeta and the Super Dragonball Heroes logo next to it I would never place it as being Trunks. Even then it took a me a bit to be confidant it wasn't someone from some other Jump property I wasn't familiar with.