Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Custom
Bespoke
Modified
One-off
Limited
RARE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Custom
Unoriginal
Naked
Turd

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I rode a pure rNineT, it’s heavy but it looks so cool. Be aware that you will reek of oil after a while. As a ride, It has pep and character and it twists left and right when you rev it. I arrived at a fancy cafe and people looked at me like I belong there (even tho I don’t ) and this is was in Brickell, Miami (rear end in a top hat central USA). A whole table of girls asked me about the “sexy bike” and it almost made me make a horrible financial mistake because it is so expensive and so not worth it unless, again, your number one priority is looks.

So, in case if wasn’t clear, If you wanna look like literally the coolest person in the city, get one. It’s a horrible tourer, but an amazing looking city bike. The scrambler rNineT is worthless in the dirt and even worse in the street, if you do get one, change the tires.

The racer is PURE pain on wheels unless you are a fashion model level athlete.

If you must ride one, get a certified pre owned pure with spoked wheels.

This is based on a weekend trial in Miami.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moving to BC in the spring, probably get a bike in the autumn once we've figured out the roof over our heads business. Found some good advice/info on insurance there, so looks like I'll be after a sub-750cc machine. So. Svartpilen then? Will it be perpetually busted and waiting for parts? They're pretty sexy and I like sexy. Street Triple R is fun but a little cramped for longer rides, but would be high on the list. Maybe see if a used ABS Shiver or Doso comes up cheap? What else won't have me cursing my life poor choices like a 650 Versys? I haven't really looked at middleweights in a while. Don't say SV650 I hate you you're not my real dad.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is there still a place in the world where insurance is determined by the size of the engine?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Here in manitoba the insurance is cheaper 500cc and less. Our insurance is all kinda hosed up w/r/t motorcycles tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Nitrox posted:

Is there still a place in the world where insurance is determined by the size of the engine?

Practically everywhere in the world. It isn't always a statutory decision, but the actuarial tables will bear it out. Bigger bikes are more expensive and people tend to destroy them more frequently and spectacularly, so their insurance is higher.

Vehicle registration is the odd one, where some jurisdictions base the fee on the engine displacement regardless of cost/power/likelihood of crashing. That's why most bikes come in a 399cc version in Japan, for instance

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Last I knew, that was how State Farm in the US determined premiums

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Last I knew, that was how State Farm in the US determined premiums
I worked for State Farm in 2007 and they did not do that. Risk factor is calculated by a formula, and statistical record is one of its biggest factors.

There is a reason Acura Integra cost three times more to insure than the same year Corvette. In similar vain, adding a letter F to my cb1100, nearly tripled my premiums.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

BC is kind of a special case, because they have a fully regulated market. ICBC is the only liability insurer and everyone in the province has to use them. So they have the actuarial data, like Sagebrush said, and from what I've read it's pretty much a straight line correlating displacement with how much it costs them. The unfortunate thing about it though, is like all monolithic organizations, they're slow to adapt to market changes. So putting a rate increase step at 750cc might have made sense a decade or two ago, but may not make as much sense now that many "middleweights" are 800cc+, putting them in the same category as 1000cc superbikes. (then again, what do I know, I just pay the money!)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 27, 2020

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I am not an actual insurer, but my guess is that these days the price is magicked out of piles of data by statistical models that can't be understood by the people using them in principle. The best performing predictive models for risk data tend to be things like hierarchical logistic regression (most understandable, least good), random forest regression (baaaaarely understandable, pretty good), or genuine mystery meat like kernel-trick SVM, which is very good but has zero interpritability unless your brain works in 10000 dimensions. Depending on implementation a model like that can give you the "importance" of any given individual factor, but producing rules of thumb for what it will actually do for an arbitrary combination of inputs is impossible. (Then a bunch of extra factors get piled on top like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, like Geico just magically jacking the rates 10x for market segments they don't want to insure)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Edit: ignore me I'm dumb

Solus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 27, 2020

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I read it, it wasn't dumb

Get a mini ninja

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd bike. Specifically, a supermoto. Primarily for rides through back roads and some day to day commuting. A friend also wants to do a bit of greenlaneing, so that might be a thing.

From what I can tell, my options are:

• DRZ400SM - Doesn't pass London emissions regulations, so not really an option as It'd cost me 12 quid every time I take it to work.
  • WR250X - No longer sold in the UK, so scarce
  • WR250R - Same as above, would need to spend more on 17" wheels
  • CRF250L - Still sold, cheap, plentiful. Would cost ~850 quid to get a Honda L->M kit
  • CRF250M - No longer sold, pretty rare.
  • WR/CRF 250/450 - Competition models, short service intervals, not factory road registered, probably too much faff.
  • SMCR/XT660/FMX650 - Probably a bit too big?

I've found a '16 CRF250M, with <1000 miles on it. Pictures show a wonky indicator,
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908191313812?advertising-location=at_bikes

There's also a '06 WR450 with 7k miles nearby.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...from=200&page=1

Is there anything else I should consider? Any reason to not to buy one? Anything to look for when buying one?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 29, 2020

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Any of those will be a hoot. If you go greenlaning you want something you don't mind getting scratched up, ditto for being a supermoto hooligan

250l l/m is probably the cheapest, worry free fun you can have but you might outgrow it in a summer if you're already comfortable on bikes

I'd take the XT because a) they're great and b) bigger bikes turn easy lanes into more of a challenge

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Please get my unobtainable dream supermoto, the xt660r, so that I can live vicariously through you.

Alternatively, the wr250x/r is the only viable option on your list that fits your needs while being abundantly rad. You should put the effort into finding one if you can. They are rare over here too. Wish I had never sold mine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Is there anything else I should consider?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...odel=RXV&page=1 Thank me later.

(Also be careful with autotrader links as they do include your postcode in them, you can just edit it out of the link or use your local head office postcode (take out the last 3 characters and sub in 1AA or 2AA) when you do the search just to gently caress with their metrics)

e: Also, no matter what security you already have, double it if you buy a supermoto because they will attract scrotes like a children's home attracts Tories.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Also, no matter what security you already have, double it if you buy a supermoto because they will attract scrotes like a children's home attracts Tories.

Same with my gated parking garage in the southeast US. My garage has some nice unattended Harleys, Yamahas and Kawis but the guy who keeps a little dual sport locked up has had it stolen twice.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yup. My DRZ was stolen from my gated and locked yard in DC. It was an 8-foot fence and gate. But I didn’t lock the bike to something and I didn’t have a disc brake. Fortunately the dipshit also didn’t know what he was doing. He pushed it a couple blocks and a neighbor called the cops after he spent a while trying to figure out how to start it in an alley.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Please get my unobtainable dream supermoto, the xt660r, so that I can live vicariously through you.

Don't meet your heroes is all I can say here.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Get a baghira :getin:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
How much do you want to spend? 701sm is a nice bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Razzled posted:

Get a baghira :getin:

I had one it was sweet.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Update

Went and looked at a '07 DRZ-400SM with 15k miles on the clock today. Also got a peek at the paperwork and contrary to the Governments website, it shouldn't incur a daily tax.

They had a few issues starting it. Looks like the battery is shot, and the clutch switch is causing issues. Otherwise it looked fine.

If I go back to look at it again, is there anything I should pay extra attention to?

Otherwise... I might buy it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't buy a bike with problems unless it's for a song

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Any self respecting dealer will fix those issues without thinking twice, that they haven't makes me wonder if they're covering up something else?

Also the TFL website is what decides whether you get the fine, not some piece of paper, so go by that

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Horse Clocks posted:

Update

Went and looked at a '07 DRZ-400SM with 15k miles on the clock today. Also got a peek at the paperwork and contrary to the Governments website, it shouldn't incur a daily tax.

They had a few issues starting it. Looks like the battery is shot, and the clutch switch is causing issues. Otherwise it looked fine.

If I go back to look at it again, is there anything I should pay extra attention to?

Otherwise... I might buy it.

Have them put in a new battery and fix the clutch switch and then see what happens. Or unplug the clutch switch entirely and try to start it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

Any self respecting dealer will fix those issues without thinking twice, that they haven't makes me wonder if they're covering up something else?

No. Dealers will happily sell you a completely broken bike without thinking twice because fixing issues costs time and money. It's much better to leave everything broken and only fix the poo poo people come back and complain about. There is no such thing as a self respecting or competent dealer, if you think otherwise you've been had by a skilled salesman or friendly counter staff.

No it doesn't make sense. Yes any money you spend on customer service you get back double, especially in the bike world. I know this from firsthand experience. But dealers are exclusively run by insane sociopaths or boomers (redundant) who are simply incapable of thinking that way. The brand of bike, size of the dealer etc has no bearing on it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Shelvocke posted:

Also the TFL website is what decides whether you get the fine, not some piece of paper, so go by that

Yeah, they said they’d replace the battery and clutch switch. Not a huge deal, once it was on a jump starter and the switch fiddled with, it started fine.

You can submit a vehicle that’s not Euro3 (that’s all the database is, a Euro3 vehicle DB) for ULEZ compliance if the NOx emissions are <=0.15 on the V5C. Which the DRZ’s says 0.15.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Re. The above, I stand corrected but I'd rather not stick my hand into TFL if I can avoid it

Slavvy posted:

dealers suck diiiick

Are we talking dealers or shop owners because my local guy is an absolute bro and does work on bike (one I didn't buy from him) for free if I'm too dumb to do it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shelvocke posted:

Re. The above, I stand corrected but I'd rather not stick my hand into TFL if I can avoid it

Are we talking dealers or shop owners because my local guy is an absolute bro and does work on bike (one I didn't buy from him) for free if I'm too dumb to do it

Dealers. Good shop mechanics that are not also dealers are getting harder to find, so if you get a good one, treat them right and give them good Yelp reviews or whatever.

edit: In the US, anyway. You're in Australia, right? Dunno how it is there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah dealers.

Independent shops operate on directly the opposite paradigm: they don't sweat the small stuff because the most important thing is convincing the punter that you're bike gandalf/Yoda (circle one). You don't give a poo poo about a generic $10 clutch switch or the ten minutes of your life it takes to replace, because the owner can't wait to tell all his mates about the good oval office that sorted his bike out. And one of his mates will have a KTM or Harley.

One of the best forms of marketing in existence is people wandering in with minor issues expecting to pay like a minimum fee or whatever and just getting charged just the cost of the part instead; it seriously blows people's minds that anyone would do a trivial job just to be nice and not tabulate every minute.

$5 of profit vs every rider that person knows thinking you're a wizard, what's better? Usually, smart dealer technicians do a few cash jobs for friends of friends, do the above equation and promptly go into business for themselves.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's a guy at college who is a Kawasaki apprentice for the local dealer who treats him well and I was going to hold him up proof that not all dealers are sociopaths... But then I remembered he makes like £2.50 an hour

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
talk me off the ledge here (or push me off it)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you want to gently caress the headlight?

Y: Buy it
N: Do not buy

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
what if you want someone else to trib the headlight while u watch

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do you want right arm to post?! Because this is how you get right arm to post.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Razzled posted:

talk me off the ledge here (or push me off it)

Are you a boring rear end in a top hat boomer who wades into every thread on ADVRider looking for an excuse to post a picture of your bike? Buy it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Update

If you're talking about the ULEZ it doesn't matter if the paperwork is signed by God himself, if the TfL website says it has to pay then it has to pay. There's an appeals process, but it's a huge pain in the arse and even with manufacturer's docs *and* a certified emissions test you'll still probably have to wait a couple of months - and you don't get a refund on the charge paid in that time. Pass and find another bike, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you want to gently caress the headlight?

Y: Buy it
N: Do not buy

and that's why I went 950. Jesus new ktms are fuckugly. (that and it exceeds 500lb wet)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Are you a boring rear end in a top hat boomer who wades into every thread on ADVRider looking for an excuse to post a picture of your bike? Buy it.

lolllll right.