Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What real world fiction should I read if my favorite fantasy work is Perdido Street Station, specifically because of its vivid sense of urban life, all the neighborhoods and architecture and depictions of crowded, lively places, the sheer density of history and culture?

FPyat fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Manhattan Transfer.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is perdido street station? If I just came off William Gibson, should I give it a read?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is perdido street station? If I just came off William Gibson, should I give it a read?

One of the very few steampunk novels that is actually worth reading. Extremely marxist. Author probably masturbates with a thesaurus.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the very few steampunk novels
"Excuse me, it's actually part of the new weird."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the very few steampunk novels that is actually worth reading. Extremely marxist. Author probably masturbates with a thesaurus.

Excuse me I believe you mean he partakes in, *checks soaked thesaurus* onanistic activity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1224657940390514688?s=20

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Back in highschool, I read and loved James Clavell's Shogun although I imagine it would come across as a little silly if I read it today. Is the rest of his Asian Saga worth reading?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lester Shy posted:

Back in highschool, I read and loved James Clavell's Shogun although I imagine it would come across as a little silly if I read it today. Is the rest of his Asian Saga worth reading?

The whole thing is pretty much at the same level throughout, yeah.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
I've only read King Rat, but i liked it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve read..10 pages of Perdido Street Station so far and my god yeah he is out of control with his thesaurus use. It makes the writing so dense it borders on being more a chore than an enjoyment to read. Also, if there are whole chapters in italics then I don’t even know what.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mimicking the ponderousness of the Gormenghast trilogy without the meta-ness of that, yeah. I quite liked it though, one kind of just needs to get into the rhythm of it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah I would imagine it is very good once you get on it’s rails. It reminds of William Gibson writing, which uses a way of describing a scene or a concept like.. starting the reader somewhere in the middle of the thing instead of at the beginning and moving ground up. I always feel as if my brain is dropped into the middle of the thing and I have to extrapolate both backwards and forwards to figure out what it is or what’s happening. Not only for a character, but a setting and place and time all at once. It can be disorienting and fragmentary at first, but once you’re in the rhythm it makes things feel much more alive and fluid within the novel’s world. (Such a hard thing to describe for me.)

An example of the protagonist in the book Agency meeting (and introducing to the reader) one of the other main characters, Senior Detective Lowbeer:

“When Lowbeer wished a conversation in public to be private, which she invariably did, London emptied itself around her. Netherton had no idea how this was accomplished, and he was seldom, as now, much aware, during a given conversation, of the isolation. On leaving her company, though, he’d encounter a pedestrian, see someone cycling, or a vehicle, and only then be aware of emerging from her bubble of exclusion. Seated with her now in a darkly varnished booth, in this ostentatiously pre-jackpot sandwich shop in Marylebone Street, he found himself eager for exactly that: their goodbye, his walk away, and that first glimpse of some random stranger, abroad in the quiet vastness of London.
“Salt beef good?” She was having Marmite and cucumber.
He nodded. “Do they still make Marmite? As opposed to assemblers excreting it as needed, I mean.”
“Of course.” She looked down at the perfectly rectangular remaining sections of her sandwich, her brilliantly white quiff inclining with her gaze. “It’s yeast, and salt. Manufactory’s in Bermondsey. Bots prepare it, but otherwise traditionally.”
Ask her something, almost anything, and she’d have the answer. Meeting strangers, she might answer questions they hadn’t thought to ask. The whereabouts, for instance, of possessions long misplaced. She was fundamentally connected, she’d disconcertingly allow, in ways resulting in her knowing virtually everything about anyone she happened to meet. She’d apologize, then, declaring herself an ancient monster of the surveillance state, something Netherton knew her to well and truly be.”

— Agency by William Gibson

You find yourself just right in the middle of it all. Disoriented at first, but quickly upon peering both backwards and forwards to find yourself exactly where you’re meant to be.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve read..10 pages of Perdido Street Station so far and my god yeah he is out of control with his thesaurus use. It makes the writing so dense it borders on being more a chore than an enjoyment to read. Also, if there are whole chapters in italics then I don’t even know what.

It does calm down eventually

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Seeking recommendations for books about the lovely dickheadedness of entrepreneurship. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Non-fiction!!

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 9, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Budgie Jumping posted:

Seeking recommendations for books about the lovely dickheadedness of entrepreneurship. Thanks in advance.

The Fountainhead.

Atlas Shrugged.

UR welcome

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Budgie Jumping posted:

Do books about grifters count?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Budgie Jumping posted:

You've read Bad Blood already, right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bought a Kindle for my gf for Valentine's day and I want to get a couple books for her to load on it. I have a couple picked out but they're both a bit weightier and I want something lighter and fun so that it doesn't feel like I'm handing her a homework assignment. What's a book that is fun, light, frothy while still being qualitatively good? Genre is wide open.

E: something like The Princess Bride, except not The Princess Bride

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

Bought a Kindle for my gf for Valentine's day and I want to get a couple books for her to load on it. I have a couple picked out but they're both a bit weightier and I want something lighter and fun so that it doesn't feel like I'm handing her a homework assignment. What's a book that is fun, light, frothy while still being qualitatively good? Genre is wide open.

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1161639920227749888?s=20

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anyone got recs for locked room mysteries? Assume I've read 90% of Agatha Christie. The more modern the rec the better.

Also yes I know, read more John Dickson Carr. I'm working on it.

TheHawk
Apr 1, 2005
One out, One in.

Recently been binging on some shows and movies that fall under the southern gothic genre and enjoying them, looking for some book recs in the genre as its not something Ive read alot of. Thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TheHawk posted:

Recently been binging on some shows and movies that fall under the southern gothic genre and enjoying them, looking for some book recs in the genre as its not something Ive read alot of. Thanks.

Flannery O’Connor’s complete short stories and Wise Blood
Carson McCullers’s The Ballad of the Sad Cafe and other stories
The Neon Bible by John Kennedy O’Toole
Beloved by Toni Morrison
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
William Faulkner

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Get them there Murderbot books.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

regulargonzalez posted:

Gideon the Ninth. Tell her to bookmark the dramatis personae and use the X-ray feature to remember who everyone is. Also, Murderbot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretty great list, I've read about half of those and they're all solid choices. I went with All Creatures Great and Small. Thanks!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Any recommendations for books covering the history of medicine? I'm more interested in something that doesn't get too technical and covers a more broad look at medicine throughout the eras of human history.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bloopsy posted:

Any recommendations for books covering the history of medicine? I'm more interested in something that doesn't get too technical and covers a more broad look at medicine throughout the eras of human history.

Maybe The Poisoner’s Handbook? Just early 20th Century US medicine though. It is excellent, in any case!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
After seeing it get recommended here again and again and again, I finally checked out Bridge of Birds from my library, and now I am almost a little mad at myself that I didn't do this earlier - I am now currently halfway through and having a blast. What similar reads are there in the vein of fun, semi-fantastical adventures like this?

Unrelated question - I was thinking of possibly giving Mason & Dixon a try, but would that potentially be a bit much if I haven't read any Pynchon before?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just read the book; it's good. :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IBroughttheFunk posted:

After seeing it get recommended here again and again and again, I finally checked out Bridge of Birds from my library, and now I am almost a little mad at myself that I didn't do this earlier - I am now currently halfway through and having a blast. What similar reads are there in the vein of fun, semi-fantastical adventures like this?
It's got two sequels (of decreasing quality but still good) but as far as I know there is nothing else quite like it out there, sadly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Honestly, there isn't much like it. Maybe A Night in the Lonesome October, maybe the book version of Princess Bride. Asprin's Another Fine Myth.

quote:

Unrelated question - I was thinking of possibly giving Mason & Dixon a try, but would that potentially be a bit much if I read any Pynchon before?

Just jump in, Pynchon is always overwhelming, just drown your way through it.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Bloopsy posted:

When I took a course on this we read Medieval & Early Renaissance Medicine by Nancy Siraisi. A widely used book on the history of science in general, The Beginnings of Western Science by David C. Lindberg, is also good, and it has several sections apportioned to medicine.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Besides the other recommendations above, check out Terry Pratchett.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

Besides the other recommendations above, check out Terry Pratchett.

do not, under any circumstances, check out terry pratchett

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, Pratchett is a slog and a pain to read. If you want fun, fantastical adventures you’d better check out some stuff outside of the conventional genre titles. Gargantua and Pantagruel, Tristram Shandy, Candide and Pynchon’s Against the Day come to mind. There was a discussion about this type of book a few weeks ago, possibly even in this very thread. Good recommendations were made.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

imho, check out Terry pratchett and start with Guards Guards. It's fun, standalone, and has some meat on its bones. (whereas the first published Discworld didn't work for me. It was a weird pastiche of genre fiction of the era, which was neat, but I didn't love reading it.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Isn't Bridge of Birds specifically a pastiche of classical Chinese novels like Journey to the West?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Eh gently caress off Pratchett is great, maybe you'll like it, maybe not. Tons of people love Pratchett for a reason, tons of people probably dislike him too but whatever. Check out Pratchett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

do not, under any circumstances, check out terry pratchett

gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)