Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nobody deserves anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
More leaked concept art from the earlier Episode 9 drafts:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/02/new-concept-art-colin-trevorrow-star-wars-episode-ix-duel-of-the-fates.html

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rip canon Eclipse

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That movie looks cool. Can we have that?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Motherfucker this looks kinda great

JJ why.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm sure JJ's first draft was good too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh look an ending that attempts to actually deal with the concept of legacy and teaching.

Disney should reboot the sequels

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every time I see concept art of Rey with a dual blade light saber I get madder at the poo poo we got.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it would’ve looked silly

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Planet Modesta! An unsubtle nod to George Lucas' hometown, but fine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

she fights with a staff all thru TFA and then never gets a staff lightsaber. Yet another hilariously aborted piece of foreshadowing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

well why not posted:

she fights with a staff all thru TFA and then never gets a staff lightsaber. Yet another hilariously aborted piece of foreshadowing

That still baffles me as well. Her evil version did at least get it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian loving broke the goddamn thing in half to force the next director to have her make a new one lmao

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Then JJ brings back it back so Luke can quip about the respect it deserves and it just ends up buried in the desert anyway

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"The hero wins by embracing the light and dark side and finding an internal balance" is about as risky as TLJ's "empire/FO vs Rebels/Resistance is a sideshow to distract from the fact that we should be breaking out space-guillotines" and its not surprising that neither of those things got made.

well why not posted:

It comes up again in RoS, too - in the forest training scene, she loses her focus and can't beat the training droid with her lightsaber, so she picks up a staff and wallops it immediately. It isn't like JJ forgot about it since TFA, he forgot about it within the same movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd have liked a reveal that there is no "dark side of the Force" because the Force is just, well, a force. All this "balance" talk is sounds uncomfortably centrist

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Boxman posted:

It isn't like JJ forgot about it since TFA, he forgot about it within the same movie.

"Holdo maneuvers are dumb, they're a one-in-a-million shot."

Movie ends with a Holdo maneuver over Endor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dublish posted:

Watching the movie my first thought it was the guy that asked why not do the maneuver that ended up doing it as a “lmao one in a million what the hell check THIS out”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dublish posted:

I thought that was just an exploding Star Destroyer, I don’t think there was any indication it had been rammed

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

General Dog posted:

I thought that was just an exploding Star Destroyer, I don’t think there was any indication it had been rammed

It was bisected neatly down the middle just like Snoke's star destroyer in TLJ.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

General Dog posted:

it had the exact same split glitter vfx as the ships in the last jedi

it was pretty explicit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The "one in a million" line was probably ADR done long after the rest of the special effects were done; whoever decided to add it may not have even been aware that shot was in the movie

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yes, I want cheese with my wine, thanks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ammanas posted:

it had the exact same split glitter vfx as the ships in the last jedi

it was pretty explicit

Does that mean we're to take that's what happened, or is it just a recycled animation?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's seen from below, people on the planet are looking up at it. I don't think TLJ showed any of it happening from that same angle

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wickets looking at that poo poo like "drat, thats a one in a million move"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Yes, I want cheese with my wine, thanks

Is that professor x on the left?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well I'll be, that's pretty loving stupid. It's a shame somebody went to the trouble of throwing away their own life and a functional cruiser when Concerned Citizens' Fleet could've come by in a week ago and cleaned things up.

Why were there Star Destroyers at Endor again? Were they in the system the day before when Rey & Friends were rummaging around on Ocean Moon? If so I guess those AWOL Stormtroopers picked a good time to leave.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Well I'll be, that's pretty loving stupid. It's a shame somebody went to the trouble of throwing away their own life and a functional cruiser when Concerned Citizens' Fleet could've come by in a week ago and cleaned things up.

Why were there Star Destroyers at Endor again? Were they in the system the day before when Rey & Friends were rummaging around on Ocean Moon? If so I guess those AWOL Stormtroopers picked a good time to leave.

thats clearly the southern hemisphere of jakku

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So we've got a fleet of 10,000 or maybe 10 million randos from across the galaxy on Exogol, where an entire fleet of Star Destroyers equipped with miniature Death Star cannons have just crashed back to the surface. Is there any reason that every Tom, Dick, and Harry who tagged along won't be able to scavenge the miniature Death Star tech and take it back to their respective militias/terrorist organizations?

Within 5-10 years everybody who's anybody is going to have planet-destroying weaponry. But hell, maybe that's how we finally get a lasting peace.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 3, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Sans lingua franca, the galaxy will be torn asunder. And then, it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain. The galaxy will need a new common tongue. A language of Death Stars. My Death Star Destroyers shall be the thread by which all systems are bound together, in equality. No words will be needed. Every man will be forced to recognize his neighbor. People will swallow their pain. They will link lost hands. And the galaxy will become one. This star war... is star peace.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

it's a one in a million thing so this helps illustrate that there are million star destroyers with death star dongs occupying the galaxy, of course

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Really like the imagery here. Also like the resolution for the free fathiers from TLJ, if anything it would have kept people from constantly bringing it up.

Really could see several of these ideas mined for a stories pre and post-TRoS.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If, rather than confronting Palpatine, Rey either helps with the space battle or just stays on Takodana and doesn't show up at all, doesn't the Resistance still win the Battle of Exogol? If he doesn't have Rey and Kylo there to siphon some juice from, he's basically still just a frail husk and the Resistance can just shoot him or hang him for war crimes or whatever. I know the same could be said of Luke and the Battle of Endor, but Luke at least had a personal stakes with trying to win over his father.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

If, rather than confronting Palpatine, Rey either helps with the space battle or just stays on Takodana and doesn't show up at all, doesn't the Resistance still win the Battle of Exogol? If he doesn't have Rey and Kylo there to siphon some juice from, he's basically still just a frail husk and the Resistance can just shoot him or hang him for war crimes or whatever. I know the same could be said of Luke and the Battle of Endor, but Luke at least had a personal stakes with trying to win over his father.

nah if vader hadnt tossed palpatine down the vent palpatine would have shot force lightning at rthe moon of endor and killed hans raiding party

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if people were posting Palpatine “Miss me yet?” memes on the holonet in the years after the Empire was dismantled.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

The only concept from the Trevorrow leaks that I've outright hated is the Rey and Poe romance from out of nowhere

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

General Dog posted:

If, rather than confronting Palpatine, Rey either helps with the space battle or just stays on Takodana and doesn't show up at all, doesn't the Resistance still win the Battle of Exogol?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The bigger question is: after being given a million planet-exploding lasers, why doesn't Kylo just blow up Palpatine's evil planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Sans lingua franca, the galaxy will be torn asunder. And then, it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain. The galaxy will need a new common tongue. A language of Death Stars. My Death Star Destroyers shall be the thread by which all systems are bound together, in equality. No words will be needed. Every man will be forced to recognize his neighbor. People will swallow their pain. They will link lost hands. And the galaxy will become one. This star war... is star peace.

- Sith Jediman