Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You dont turn it on. It turns you on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

WHERE IS THE POWER BUTTON ON THIS MAC!

[pulls out a 48 bit string of hexadecimal characters]

Sir, this is a Wendy’s drive thru.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Binary Badger posted:

Modern macOS (Mojave and later) eat up a lot of RAM; on my current 2015 rMBP with 16 GB RAM and only running Safari to shitpost, almost 5 GB is used, with a file cache of 2 GB, almost 7 GB in use right there. macOS RAM management being what it is, it'd probably take up less if I had only 8 GB physical RAM; unless you only plan to shitpost and Netflix, it's probably enough. But to run anything professional, 8 GB is starving yourself for no good reason and its nowhere near enough if you plan on running any VMs.

Intel chips of currently shipping variety have huge improvements as opposed to what was in your 2012 Mini, so yeah that's an accurate assumption.

Unused ram is still powered, weakly. Caches are evicted in memory pressure situations. macOS has had memory compression for years.

4GB, which dell sells on >$1000 earth dollar laptops, is far too low for modern stuff. Might be fine for chromebooks, but still, u ain't doin much

8GB is perfectly fine to shitpost and facebook/tik tok/whatever the kids are doing. Low for pro use tbh, but not a deal-killer

16GB is useful for anyone with multiple memory heavy apps, like certain IDEs and VMs, certain editing apps and the like. This is a good level.

32GB is basically overkill, but isn't ultra expensive either; just mostly pointless

64GB is a waste and only useful in certain very specialized situations (some apps are memory limited but this is rare after 32GB)

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 2, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you really think about it, the 8-core $6k Mac Pro ain’t that bad of a deal. Wait 3 years and pick up a top shelf 28-core CPU for $1k. Do the swap yourself. Throw 256gb of RAM into it for another grand. GPU upgrade, $500. NVMe storage- $200. Use it for the next decade

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you really think about it, the 8-core $6k Mac Pro ain’t that bad of a deal. Wait 3 years and pick up a top shelf 28-core CPU for $1k. Do the swap yourself. Throw 256gb of RAM into it for another grand. GPU upgrade, $500. NVMe storage- $200. Use it for the next decade

Still using my 2009 Mac Pro and it ya does everything just fine. RX 580 in it and I can even game on it too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

16gb ram minimum, 32gb preferred, 64gb sweet spot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol okay

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sweet spot lmao. Just a complete rube of a post

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When I was developing highly concurrent simulations (not on a Mac to be fair), I used a shitload of RAM so I could keep big datasets contiguous in memory and bounce around them, such was the nature of the work. And of course spawning more workers took shitload of RAM * workers. The highly divergent nature of the simulation meant each worker really couldn't share much RAM; I could blow through hundreds of gigs of RAM if you'd have given me a wide enough CPU.

Anyhow, so when work finally answered my prayers to build me a big workstation, because debugging this stuff specifically in highly threaded workloads was what I needed to do, and it was easier locally, they gave me everything I wanted ... except instead of 64GB RAM like I asked, they gave me 32. I'll never understand that. It wasn't even a big change to the overall price. They just made that decision without me.

Anyhow ... if you're building a Mac Pro, there might be a reason you'd want 64GB or more!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Pivo posted:

Anyhow ... if you're building a Mac Pro, there might be a reason you'd want 64GB or more!

I’d say 99% people maxing out their hardware grant money.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Malcolm XML posted:

Unused ram is still powered, weakly. Caches are evicted in memory pressure situations. macOS has had memory compression for years.

4GB, which dell sells on >$1000 earth dollar laptops, is far too low for modern stuff. Might be fine for chromebooks, but still, u ain't doin much

8GB is perfectly fine to shitpost and facebook/tik tok/whatever the kids are doing. Low for pro use tbh, but not a deal-killer

16GB is useful for anyone with multiple memory heavy apps, like certain IDEs and VMs, certain editing apps and the like. This is a good level.

32GB is basically overkill, but isn't ultra expensive either; just mostly pointless

64GB is a waste and only useful in certain very specialized situations (some apps are memory limited but this is rare after 32GB)

Wrong but okay. Gonna run “VMs” on 16gb? The gently caress?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Wrong but okay. Gonna run “VMs” on 16gb? The gently caress?

Yeah, 32 is the minimum for VMs these days.
Heck, if you compile on a regular basis and have a lot of cores, each thread may take several gigs of ram.

I thought 64 was overkill on my 2970wx build but routinely ran out of memory when doing embedded Linux builds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well yeah, no poo poo if you assign 128gb to a Windows VM or whatever it goes away. "Are you going to do VMs or not?" is a question that leads down two completely separate paths for use cases and general experience with different RAM configurations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, 32 is the minimum for VMs these days.
Heck, if you compile on a regular basis and have a lot of cores, each thread may take several gigs of ram.

I thought 64 was overkill on my 2970wx build but routinely ran out of memory when doing embedded Linux builds.

Yeah. I kind of think that post was actually stuck on hitting send from like 2012.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fallom posted:

Well yeah, no poo poo if you assign 128gb to a Windows VM or whatever it goes away. "Are you going to do VMs or not?" is a question that leads down two completely separate paths for use cases and general experience with different RAM configurations.

Yeah the VM discussion is valid but a separate use case. Like how much ram do I need for x is not the same as how much ram do I need to run 3 other operating systems and applications. For non VM/dev work 16 is good, 32 is future proof past your processor, 64 is ‘I hope u know why you need this’.

More ram = good but mm on macOS is pretty good to.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fallom posted:

Did you ignore everything I said about compiling? Heck, a complicated c++ program using 24 cores to compile could eat a gig or two EACH. That’s 48 gigs while compiling.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So the answer is yes then, right? We are all in agreement that actually spending $6k on a Mac Pro now to spend $2k upgrading it later is actually the smartest move and makes you the shrewdest coolguy?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So the answer is yes then, right? We are all in agreement that actually spending $6k on a Mac Pro now to spend $2k upgrading it later is actually the smartest move and makes you the shrewdest coolguy?

We’ve known this since the Mac Pro came out in 2013.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jokes posted:

We’ve known this since the Mac Pro came out in 2013.

wtf is this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wish they’d release the new 13 inch with the good keyboard already. I need a replacement laptop by the end of the month and I’m afraid the 16” is too huge.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
16" is too huge but they also won't release a 13" by the end of the month. Choose wisely.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

According to popularity on the internet, spending a lot of money for the ability to upgrade a Mac has always been a big brain thing since the 2013 Mac Pro? There’s even drivers of dubious quality for Nvidia GPUs I believe if you wanted to escape from AMD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jokes posted:

According to popularity on the internet, spending a lot of money for the ability to upgrade a Mac has always been a big brain thing since the 2013 Mac Pro? There’s even drivers of dubious quality for Nvidia GPUs I believe if you wanted to escape from AMD.

That’s not possible since 2013 is the year the trashcan was launched and nobody ever made any replacement GPUs for it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s not possible since 2013 is the year the trashcan was launched and nobody ever made any replacement GPUs for it

Wow I did some research and never realized when people told me they managed to mess with non-standard GPUs it was basically solely through eGPUs. I feel almost lied to. A part of me was like “yeah thermals might be poo poo but maybe you can shove a low profile 1080 in there” or something but that thing was locked down.

eames
May 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As a professional no, as a consumer probably?
For CPUs we have to wait and see how the market develops in the future. Cascade Lake X is not shaping up to be the most popular CPU and plenty of people will have the same idea (upgrading a Mac Pro for cheap later on), so these may still sell for $$$$ in a decade unless you get lucky and a FAANG company dumps a large amount of them on eBay from retired servers because new found security vulnerabilities made them useless to them. :v:

RAM can be upgraded but a risk of memory errors/incompatibility remains because Macs are notoriously sensitive to third party memory and you have no way of correcting the settings if the standard (JEDEC?) settings throw ECC errors.

The native SSDs boot are currently not upgradable but secondary NVMe via PCIe makes sense.
GPUs are probably the easiest and most reliable part to upgrade, though you get more fan noise and the Apple solutions might be more powerful than what you can buy aftermarket (depends on your workload).

All in all I think upgrading a base Mac Pro completely defeats the purpose of having a stable, warrantied professional workstation but if I were to buy one myself as a consumer I’d go the same route because of the pricing.

It is also worth remembering that one could buy ~36 cores worth of Mac Minis for the price of one base 8 core Mac Pro, which would probably embarrass the latter for any workloads that are parallel enough to be spread across multiple machines (video rendering, hosting, perhaps compiling code, etc).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 2015 rMBP came up with a service battery warning last week and to be fair the battery life tanked pretty badly. So I was ready to get the drat thing replaced, but then after a reboot the message dissapeared and the battery life went back to normal. I mean checking on coconut battery the design life is close to 80% anyway, but is it normal for the service battery thing to just dissapear?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fallom posted:

A few years ago I told IT I needed to run a handful of VMs at the same time on my prospective new laptop and they got me the prerequisite 16GB RAM.......

... but only the dual core i5.

Death to procurement.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

You'd probably be safe with a Samsung 860 EVO, as the SSDs Apple themselves used at the time were just OEM versions of the Samsung SATA SSDs available at that time, which were 830's and 840s. SanDisk is also Mac friendly as they used to have a Mac-specific firmware updater for some of their drives.

Update on this, I got a WD Blue 240 GB and it works perfectly.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

Still using my 2009 Mac Pro and it ya does everything just fine. RX 580 in it and I can even game on it too.

:same:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

track day bro! posted:

My 2015 rMBP came up with a service battery warning last week and to be fair the battery life tanked pretty badly. So I was ready to get the drat thing replaced, but then after a reboot the message dissapeared and the battery life went back to normal. I mean checking on coconut battery the design life is close to 80% anyway, but is it normal for the service battery thing to just dissapear?

80% is the cutoff point that Apple considers a battery to be consumed, which would trigger the service battery warning. Below that it and gets triggered.

Sometimes if you let the battery run down to zero, then quickly plug it into AC power, you can reset the reading of the battery's capacity by a few percent, above 80% the service battery message disappears, the second it hits 79.999999% the service battery appears.

If I were you I'd save a screenshot of the service battery message and take it in to the Fruit Stand to be replaced, and if it happens to be at 80.5% or some poo poo like that, show the techs that service battery screenshot.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 3, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is pretty much because no one wanted to make a special GPU build that 1) had no fan on it and 2) had to be made in two flavors; both at a reduced size from standard PCIe boards (to fit inside the 2013) and one had to have a pass-through quasi-NVMe slot installed in the middle of it to be used as the system drive. To top it off, that quasi-NVMe slot had to be pared down to PCIe 2.0 spec.

Only AMD wound up making three variants (D300, D500, D700) of this wacky card, most likely under contract from Apple. "Don't worry, everyone will wind up needing two GPUs!"

Whomever was responsible for the design of the TrashCan should be taken out back and shot, with prejudice. It wound up making Apple look like an rear end to all the people who had bought their previous Mac Pros.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 3, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nothing like having to reboot because your touchbar is blank

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing like having to reboot because your touchbar is blank

This happens to me every now and then.

ps wwaux | grep -i touchbarserver | awk '{ print $2 }' | sudo xargs kill -9

Annoying, yes, but easier than rebooting.

e: Or "sudo pkill TouchBarServer" of those of us who aren't addicted to needless complexity.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 7, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sounds like the 16-inch Pro struggles to stay cool under heavy load when a bunch of stuff is plugged in:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229?answerId=251840814022#251840814022

quote:

It became really clear the combined heat from the internal Radeon Pro 5500m GPU and the i9-9880G CPU is too much for the current thermal management system, especially when using all USB-C ports. (I.e., for power, USB-C hub, USB-C to Display Port video cables). From all the testing and heat generated by the unit, it looks like our Radeon Pro 5500m GPU is fried because we are seeing artifacts on text (laptop display and external monitors) but not when we use the eGPU.

Just so you understand our configuration with the eGPU: We have one USB-C Hub connected to the MBP and one USB-C cable connected to the eGPU. The one USB-C cable to the eGPU is powering the MBP but also the eGPU has the two Display Port cable to the monitors. Now the MBP has two free USB-C ports. This was producing about 38 degrees less heat in Airflow on the MBP.

When the eGPU is connected, we can push the MBP to about 60% CPU for sustained periods before hearing the fans at about 4500 RPM. But as many of us have noticed, when we don’t have an eGPU, we’re seeing this at 5% to 10% CPU.

We have installed Parallels and ran Windows 10 on three monitors on separate space and have done Geekbench tests and a variety of stress tests with the eGPU and its operating normally.

Bottom line, the combination of using the GPU and CPU is pushing the MBP into heat conditions causing the FAN issues and in our case, possibly damage to the GPU.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

Sounds like the 16-inch Pro struggles to stay cool under heavy load when a bunch of stuff is plugged in:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229?answerId=251840814022#251840814022

FAN issues

If you use the computer, it will get hot. News at ten

Macrumors has a ridiculous thread about it as well with people returning their machines because the fans come on

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

This happens to me every now and then.

ps wwaux | grep -i touchbarserver | awk '{ print $2 }' | sudo xargs kill -9

Annoying, yes, but easier than rebooting.

e: Or "sudo pkill TouchBarServer" of those of us who aren't addicted to needless complexity.

Didn't work, I had tried that. The system didn't even see the touchbar anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Weedle posted:

I, too, struggle to stay cool under pressure

This machine was made for me

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't work, I had tried that. The system didn't even see the touchbar anymore.

Ah sucks, was worth a try.

I’m really disappointed with the QC in MacOS these past few years. It’s stable and usable on the whole, but I’ve experienced enough bugs in enough frequency on enough machines that I have to believe that these are common enough across the board. Which makes me wonder — like does Tim Apple use his laptop and just lose the touchbar every so often or get dropped from wifi or just have his Keychain just explode after he changes his password?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would bet money that Tim and possibly many of the higher management don't use Macbooks at all anymore

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I would bet money that Tim and possibly many of the higher management don't use Macbooks at all anymore

iPads with keyboards more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ya, that's what it's like where i work anyway