Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Yeah that dream is really really good.

I love it not because it's a good freaky thing at this point in time but it informs on the rest of the entire series so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I love it not because it's a good freaky thing at this point in time but it informs on the rest of the entire series so well.

One can assume that he at least knew that there would be a black ajah, so yeah, pretty awesome.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Hey weird book question that's not really related to anything we're talking about now

Was it ever actually explained what was going on with the power decrease following Nynaeve unstilling Suin and Leane but there being no decrease for Logain (as far as I remember), I figured it was some weird magical rule where it was better to have a lady heal a man and vice versa (I think I remember an Ashaman also healed an Aes Sedai and no power decrease was mentioned) than it be the same sex but I don't remember if the books ever really went into any detail of why that might have been the case. Anyone remember if it actually gets addressed at any point?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Neal! posted:

Hey weird book question that's not really related to anything we're talking about now

Was it ever actually explained what was going on with the power decrease following Nynaeve unstilling Suin and Leane but there being no decrease for Logain (as far as I remember), I figured it was some weird magical rule where it was better to have a lady heal a man and vice versa (I think I remember an Ashaman also healed an Aes Sedai and no power decrease was mentioned) than it be the same sex but I don't remember if the books ever really went into any detail of why that might have been the case. Anyone remember if it actually gets addressed at any point?

Yeah. Males heal females fully and vice versa

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is also unrelated to anything else but i just got back to the point where liandrin gets heavily shielded and hit with compulsion by moghedien in like some sort of 'i have no mouth and i must scream' kind of scenario and god i know she's an awful person but that really hosed with me for a tiny bit there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Joestar posted:

this is also unrelated to anything else but i just got back to the point where liandrin gets heavily shielded and hit with compulsion by moghedien in like some sort of 'i have no mouth and i must scream' kind of scenario and god i know she's an awful person but that really hosed with me for a tiny bit there

come at the king, best not miss

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I do like how Liandrin who seems like this hard nosed badass Dark Sister actually gets completely abandoned and forgotten by everyone including the narrative itself

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

Yeah. Males heal females fully and vice versa

I think they describe it as "the left hand healing the right, versus the right healing the right" or something like that. Makes sense that you can't fix it with what was damaged in the first place, and with needing saidar to cleanse saidin.

The theme has always been cooperation is stronger than individual effort

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I do like how Liandrin who seems like this hard nosed badass Dark Sister actually gets completely abandoned and forgotten by everyone including the narrative itself

IIRC Suroth had her collared so that was pretty much it, especially after Suroth herself got made da'covale.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

IIRC Suroth had her collared so that was pretty much it, especially after Suroth herself got made da'covale.

Man that whole part of CoT-KoD was so good--Mat running off with Tuon, playing tourist in the countryside while conducting hit-and-run guerilla strikes at Seanchan positions to get away from the Darkfriend army after her, while the Deathwatch agents (and Ogier "Gardeners"!) track them all, leading to the showdown in some forest somewhere.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It felt like a real campaign. Battles fought in places just because that's where armies met. I loved it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Mat really does deserve more chapters. All his chapters are really good at least until where imma t in Winters Heart.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8AOYGVnDk5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

~enhance~

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Totally not Game of Thrones.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Totally not Game of Thrones.

The first book is entirely set during winter, what do you expect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Is that Perrin? Because he looks pretty scrawny to be Perrin. They should have just got Hafthor

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pretty sure it's Mat (or someone else, but not Perrin)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If he's holding juggling balls, yeah, Mat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

silvergoose posted:

The first book is entirely set during winter, what do you expect.

that, and, it's not like any of these series have a monopoly on 'grungy fantasy village'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh is THAT what those are

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes that's Mat. People were speculating that it is a shot from the scene in TGH where they find a fade's head nailed to the door of an inn, the same town with the flies sequence.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

tbh I'd just think it's from Emond's Field on Winternight after the Trolloc attack.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The roofs are slanted really sharply, eaves coming down near the ground, which says Shienar to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Please, that's Tar Valon

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Please, that's Tar Valon

Tar Valon?

Tar Valon?

You said you were going to this, this Caemlyn!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shadar Logoth is such a great part of the first book, so many creepy setpieces and stuff.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

Shadar Logoth is such a great part of the first book, so many creepy setpieces and stuff.

Where else can you meet a guy named Deathdeath.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ExtraMoreBiglierDeath was booked for other engagements.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I've been reading The Wheel of Time series for the first time, on the recommendation of some goons, and I've been really enjoying it. There are things that Jordan does that are kinda repetitive and stick out, like Rand's dry mouth and Nynaeve's braid tugging, but for the most part the story is really intricate, interesting, and varied. I like that the series follows different cultures like the Aiel, Seanchan and Seafolk, too. The climaxes at the end of Lord of Chaos and Winter's Heart both own extremely hard.

That said, I'm reading Crossroads of Twilight and, what the gently caress? What happened? Why are there so many chapters you can just skip without affecting the plot?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My understanding is that it was an experiment which just didn't pan out too well. New Spring and Knife of Dreams are both pretty great, though. He got back into the swing of things after CoT and before he died.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

bell jar posted:

I've been reading The Wheel of Time series for the first time, on the recommendation of some goons, and I've been really enjoying it. There are things that Jordan does that are kinda repetitive and stick out, like Rand's dry mouth and Nynaeve's braid tugging, but for the most part the story is really intricate, interesting, and varied. I like that the series follows different cultures like the Aiel, Seanchan and Seafolk, too. The climaxes at the end of Lord of Chaos and Winter's Heart both own extremely hard.

That said, I'm reading Crossroads of Twilight and, what the gently caress? What happened? Why are there so many chapters you can just skip without affecting the plot?

Yeah uh. I would normally never recommend skimming/skipping but honestly if you feel like you're running out of steam check Wikipedia and move onto the next book, which owns.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

bell jar posted:

I'm doing a reread now because of the tv show, and there is a lot of repetition. Even in book 7 (the one I'm on now) the first chapter for each main character basically just summarises things that have happened so far. Perrin's one shows how all the different nations are uncomfortable with each other, then explains Min's ability. Even Rand's one spends a while talking about Saidin and its effects. It was more overt on books 4 5 and 6, it's like a reintroduction each time. I wonder if this was a publisher thing?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

life of lemons posted:

I'm doing a reread now because of the tv show, and there is a lot of repetition. Even in book 7 (the one I'm on now) the first chapter for each main character basically just summarises things that have happened so far. Perrin's one shows how all the different nations are uncomfortable with each other, then explains Min's ability. Even Rand's one spends a while talking about Saidin and its effects. It was more overt on books 4 5 and 6, it's like a reintroduction each time. I wonder if this was a publisher thing?

To be fair, there was like two years between the release of each book and that repetition served as both a reminder and to drive important points home. Rereading it now though it can definitely drag on account of this.

I just started AMOL for the first time and I'm both excited and daunted by the prospect of finally finishing this series.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

life of lemons posted:

Oh yeah publishers basically want to make sure people can jump in and not be confused about everything for all fantasy series, which is kinda dumb but also understandable.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

bell jar posted:

I have a very vague memory of reading an interview with Jordan once where he said something along the lines of intending to make the entire book be everyone's reaction to the climactic and world changing event at the end of Winters Heart but realized like 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way through that it wasn't working and rather than rewriting it just kinda pushed through and finished it. Which is I guess better than George RR Martin's strategy of realizing his 5 year gap wasn't working and just imploding.

It's always annoyed me that Rand, Cadsuane, Nyneave or loving anyone else there didn't choose to send out messengers to tell the world what just happened. Like sure most wouldn't believe it right away but you need to plant those seeds and the earlier the better. It most likely would have made CoT way better and it just would have made sense. Having the characters debating whether or not the news is true and what they can/should do about it if it is true would likely have actually been able to fill most of a book entertainingly. Having 300 different characters just go "big power? wuh happened" one after the other after the other on the other hand gets real old real quick.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's kind of funny in retrospect and being able to skim it. Not good, but funny.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Spek posted:

Having 300 different characters just go "big power? wuh happened" one after the other after the other on the other hand gets real old real quick.

CoT was the first book in the series I actually had to wait for and the thing I was most expecting were the reactions to this world-changing event. Having it just be this was disappointing as hell.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I started another reread (because I'm insane), and with the television show in mind, I noticed a lot more instances of female nudity. You not only have the ostensibly equal opportunity occasions like sweat tents (that are only ever seen from the perspective of Egwene with the Wise Ones and sometimes Moiraine or Berelain) and gai'shain shortly after capture (where the only named gai'shain we see are Faile, Maighdin, Alliandre, Bain and Chiad), but basically every channeling organization induction is done in the nude. The Accepted test for example, or the first trial at Rhuidean for Wise One apprentices. Also, choosing an Amyrlin was supposed to be done "clothed in the Light", i.e. nude, but the modern Aes Sedai "merely" go topless during it.

Sure, you might have the occasional instance of Mat fighting of bad guys in a badass manner wearing only his "smallclothes", but that's still a massive imbalance that probably won't fly with modern viewership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm totally down with seeing some malebutt and such any time, so yeah I hope it's more balanced.