Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Casual Mode exists.

RAW that won't help with side quest chains you've locked out, nor stuff unlocked from events that you either never pulled or picked the other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Just retired my second Sun. When all its level 9 stuff is going great guns, Sun is an absolute monster, I love it so much.

Gonna give Bolts a try next.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm unlocking triangles next session but there's also an unplayed sun character. Thread consensus seems to be that triangles is mediocre but sun is crazy fun-times? Is that the case?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I'm unlocking triangles next session but there's also an unplayed sun character. Thread consensus seems to be that triangles is mediocre but sun is crazy fun-times? Is that the case?

Triangles is probably my favorite class. I think it really depends on what type of play style appeals to you, they are possibly as drastically different as you can get

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I went Mindthief first and had a blast but retired pretty early cause I had an easy goal

I've been running 3 Spears since then which is also really fun but for different reasons.

I'm pretty much up for anything

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, a Gloomhaven thread. a 260 page Gloomhaven thread...

Big fan of the game, playing with my housemates and partner so it's been fairly easy to keep things going for the most part.

Summary so far:
About 15 scenarios done
Prosperity 4
1. Tinkerer -> Two mini
2. Brute -> Triforce
3. Mindthief (they absolutely do not want to let her go, and I don't blame them)
4. Cragheart -> Music Note

Also have sun unlocked.

TM and MN we unlocked last session and only have had one dungeon together, oh boy I was reluctant to let go of my Cragheart but Music Note seems so much fun I moved on pretty much immediately. Super excited to give it a second go now that I've got a better idea of the move set.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Yes.

Play Sun. It's great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dislike of Triangles comes down to a combination of playstyle and class issues at lower levels / certain group makeups.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh hey, a Gloomhaven thread. a 260 page Gloomhaven thread...

Big fan of the game, playing with my housemates and partner so it's been fairly easy to keep things going for the most part.

Summary so far:
About 15 scenarios done
Prosperity 4
1. Tinkerer -> Two mini
2. Brute -> Triforce
3. Mindthief (they absolutely do not want to let her go, and I don't blame them)
4. Cragheart -> Music Note

Also have sun unlocked.

TM and MN we unlocked last session and only have had one dungeon together, oh boy I was reluctant to let go of my Cragheart but Music Note seems so much fun I moved on pretty much immediately. Super excited to give it a second go now that I've got a better idea of the move set.

Fifteen scenarios and at prosperity lvl four seems a little high. How have you managed that?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Bought my copy of Gloomhaven on Friday, along with the expansion and the removable sticker sheet for the expansion; sadly my FLGS didn’t have the base game removable stickers in stock, so I had to order them direct; who knows when they’ll arrive. I was going to use the YASS method to organize, but there’s an irritating lack of Plano boxes near me, so rather than wait for those to ship over to me as well, I ended up punching out all the cardboard and organizing them into almost a box worth of ziplock bags, along with an accordion folder for the map tiles. I am, perhaps, a bit overly impulsive when it comes to these things :sweatdrop:

So at any rate, I plan to introduce it to my normal board gaming group sometime this week. I’m thinking I want to play through the start of the main scenario with them, but I’m kinda itching to play before them, if only to have first-hand experience with the rules myself before we play. I feel Ike running solo through either Into the Unknown or Capital Intrigue might be something I could potentially do to that end. How forgiving/rough would those mini-campaigns be for someone who’s getting their feet wet for the first time with this game?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd start with the first scenario, it's very basic for a reason and will teach you a ton about how the actions and monsters work.

And just look at a list of common mistakes people make as well as a video of how monster movement works.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In terms of organization, you've basically independently derived the system I made up with the accordion folder, I'd just add that you should look up all the monster names and as many of the common terrain features as you can like bear traps and then label and alphabetize those too. Yes you will technically be spoiled that there exists a monster called a Dire Wereweasel or whatever, but the amount of time it'll save you is immense. Especially if you just have one person read out what you need while the other person pulls them out. "Huge boulders, stone doors, coins, bandit lepidopterists and the fire gibbons. Thanks, Jeff." (Don't worry, everything I describe is always either so obvious it's not a spoiler or made up.)

There's still some amount of random terrain over-lays that don't break down well, but just thinning it out and then separating it into 1-hex vs. 2-hex vs. 3-hex bags is a huge time-saver.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Spikes32 posted:

Fifteen scenarios and at prosperity lvl four seems a little high. How have you managed that?
Recounted and it's closer to 17 or 18 scenarios. Mostly all 4 players donating to the sanctuary every single game, plus 3 retirements and then scenario rewards and IIRC event rewards? Think it's about to slow down now since we've hit the donation point where it takes 10 per prosperity point now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Sounds right to me; we hit that level at around 16 scenarios, and we started slow on some of the ways to raise it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retired my two minis this weekend and unlocked the Cthulhu Face. At the same time our Expansion class retired and unlocked the Music Note. We both decided to switch to the new classes (even though we have an as of yet unplayed Eclipse sitting around too which was tempting).

Current party is Sun, Triangles (he's been having fun with it FWIW), Music Note, Cthulhu.

Our Sun player is about to get a lesson on not playing passively because she is very damage averse :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

IcePhoenix posted:

Our Sun player is about to get a lesson on not playing passively because she is very damage averse :v:
:raise:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

When she started playing the class she still had me playing two minis to help spread the incoming damage on the front lines (and then some since I was level eight at the time instead of level four like the rest of the party). But that isn't an option anymore so the first scenario is going to be interesting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If you don’t want to get hit, Sun is a bad choice. If you don’t want to take damage...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm very aware of how the class works, that's why I said the person playing is about to get a lesson.

It's gonna be hilarious imo but I feel like our triangle might get frustrated lol.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm very aware of how the class works, that's why I said the person playing is about to get a lesson.

It's gonna be hilarious imo but I feel like our triangle might get frustrated lol.

Just have your triangle (spoiler for triangle obviously) stun lock everything so the sun is barely ever attacked; best of both worlds

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That and I feel like the bard and I will be keeping the enemy deck stocked up on curses

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IcePhoenix posted:

That and I feel like the bard and I will be keeping the enemy deck stocked up on curses

It's this, Note and Cthulhu don't need anyone else to stop the party dying, they do it entirely solo with a full deck of curses plus constant disadvantage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I played Sun on Friday, I was attacked a good 15 or so times and took a grand total of 5 damage. And most of that was because I got poisoned on turn 2 and took a bunch of ranged attacks before I could hit myself with a heal to cleanse it. Admittedly, most of the attacks were from Forest Imps, not exactly high damage dealers, but there were bears and earth demons too. Regardless, I literally tanked half the map; the goal wasn't a kill-all-enemies one and there were multiple paths, so the Brute and Mindthief went one way and I went the other solo. Was never at risk. Love Sun, and I hit level 5 so now I have the perma-Retaliate card as well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For my next character, I can't decide between Eclipse (not really my style), Sun for a 2nd time, or Cragheart for a 2nd time.

I was leaning strongly Cragheart (and I want to toss enhancements onto him) but y'all are making it hard not to re-roll Sun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Quite enjoying the switch from three Spears (why isn't that symbol called antifa) to lightning bolt. Enjoying being highly incentivized to play on the knife's edge

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Bolts is awesome because I play super high risk and it freaks everyone out including me lol.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dwarf74 posted:

For my next character, I can't decide between Eclipse (not really my style), Sun for a 2nd time, or Cragheart for a 2nd time.

I was leaning strongly Cragheart (and I want to toss enhancements onto him) but y'all are making it hard not to re-roll Sun.

What levels did you retire at, and what's your prosperity level?

Our first cragheart barely got to use Rock Slide, while our second had it from character creation, and the latter seemed to enjoy the class quite a bit more.

Thirding that Lightning Bolts is awesome but I'm pretty sure my teammates hate it because I constantly vacillate between charging into a room and murdering everyone in it and skulking around doorways like a coward because I messed up my "murder everything" play and could die to a stiff breeze.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 10, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What levels did you retire at, and what's your prosperity level?

Our first cragheart barely got to use Rock Slide, while our second had it from character creation, and the latter seemed to enjoy the class quite a bit more.
I retired at 8 with ol' craggy, so I never got to do Blind Destruction in all its glory. We're at Prosperity 6, but we've been starting at 4th level with an 'inheritance' houserule.

(Since we're starting at 4th, we get 75 gold to buy initial gear. If we'd started at 6th as the rules would allow, we'd have gotten 105. So we get 15 gold 'inheritance' each time we level up until we hit the prosperity level when we started the character. It's better for balance than getting all 105 up-front. We also will liberally level up when we're just a few XP shy until we hit the prosperity level, as well.)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Two questions:

1. I've heard that the 'beginner' box releasing this year is set to have maps that you play directly on rather than acting as a set up guide. Has anyone blown up the OG maps, specifically the Forgotten Circles, so that is an option? I hate the set up and tear down and would love to remove that part of the game.

2. Our current party is Eclipse, Cthulhu, and Diviner. The first two of us are enjoying our characters, but the Diviner is not so much. He's the weakest player to be fair, but looking at his cards I don't think he's missing much. I thought about house ruling the portals to always stay active with the last effect played ala Mindthief augments. Does that seem like a reasonable houserule to more experienced people?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Shadow225 posted:

Two questions:

1. I've heard that the 'beginner' box releasing this year is set to have maps that you play directly on rather than acting as a set up guide. Has anyone blown up the OG maps, specifically the Forgotten Circles, so that is an option? I hate the set up and tear down and would love to remove that part of the game.

2. Our current party is Eclipse, Cthulhu, and Diviner. The first two of us are enjoying our characters, but the Diviner is not so much. He's the weakest player to be fair, but looking at his cards I don't think he's missing much. I thought about house ruling the portals to always stay active with the last effect played ala Mindthief augments. Does that seem like a reasonable houserule to more experienced people?
1. Never done it, but it's a cool idea if you can get the boards printed without the monsters on them. You'd probably run into issues with obstacle destruction/moving, however. I'd love not having to muck around with the red letters; those things are badly designed.

2. If he's not digging the rifts, you can excise that part from her deck. Giving the weakest player the Diviner is a recipe for disaster, IMO - she requires a lot of finesse and expertise. Played properly, with a team that takes her unique abilities into account, she's incredible. I think your house-rule would make the Disarm rift incredibly busted.

e: Eclipse/Cthulhu Honestly, with Eclipse in the party, her deck manipulation abilities aren't so hot, either, since your best stuff avoids the decks altogether. And with Cthulhu, her cursing is just a lesser, lackluster version. So I think it's a party composition issue as much as it is a player issue. There's some great combos she can play with Cthulhu once you both get out your "kill enemies who draw badly" cards, at least.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 10, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

You probably couldn't do that with the Forgotten Circles maps because there are multiple versions of the map for each scenario; I think you would have to keep moving all your figures and tokens from one map to another.

I'm not sure it saves that much time anyway? You still need to set up all the obstacles, traps and enemies so it only really saves finding the big map tiles and some cross-referencing.

quote:

Haven't been playing Diviner for long yet but I don't really feel underpowered? The rifts are definitely the toughest part of their kit to use effectively, especially if your party is playing aggressively, since they require you to act earlier than you really have initiative for and require monsters to move towards your party. I've mostly skipped the rifts because of that and concentrated on the bless/curse/muddle and deck manipulation abilities. Those are all really strong, though since the effects are always delayed some people might not feel like they're doing much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NRVNQSR posted:

Haven't been playing Diviner for long yet but I don't really feel underpowered? The rifts are definitely the toughest part of their kit to use effectively, especially if your party is playing aggressively, since they require you to act earlier than you really have initiative for and require monsters to move towards your party. I've mostly skipped the rifts because of that and concentrated on the bless/curse/muddle and deck manipulation abilities. Those are all really strong, though since the effects are always delayed some people might not feel like they're doing much.
I edited it in above, but with Eclipse and Cthulhu Eclipse isn't even using your modifier manipulation much of the time, and Cthulhu is cursing the entire monster deck already. So there's that, too - in that party, she kind of is a third wheel. I agree with you, however, that she's incredibly strong in the abstract.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

(going to not spoil Diviner stuff since it's open info from the expansion but spoil for other mentioned classes)

Our Diviner has been crazy powerful although it is a very passive class to be sure; if your Diviner likes to be a more active player the early levels of Diviner especially don't have a ton of that.

The classes strength is in its very powerful support abilities obviously, shielding and regenerating allies, putting out rifts, cursing and muddling the enemy, etc. It sounds like from that party tho there might be a bit of redundancy -- (spoilers for those classes)i.e. Cthulu is already putting out curses and Eclipse is hiding/deleting enemies so often that shielding/healing doesn't come into play that often. It should be fairly easy to game the rifts if you understand monster focus, and once you get the one that pulls enemies into rifts that becomes even less of a problem.

"Last active effect" seems like it could be a little overpowered especially with some of the later leveled cards which do things like attack that would be nuts to allow every turn. A possibly less obtrusive version of that would be to fudge the "entered this round" rule and let rifts affect enemies that are already standing on them. Then you can potentially phase that out as you get the more powerful options/he gets more comfortable with the class.

Also if he's the weakest player, just letting him shine a bit might help turn him around on the class. Honestly, Eclipse can bore teammates even in a party full of solid players with good classes; sometimes it sucks when a key elite enemy or two is deleted and a room becomes trivial cleanup. It might help to shift things up in the interest of "trying out different cards" that gives the rest of the team longer to play around. (<--- obviously this is all speculation and not meant to be accusatory, it's just that surgical removal of enemies has been a complaint about that class)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diviner is fairly weak at lower levels, but at high levels her perk setup is ridiculous and you turn into a murder machine at high levels, and can make some funny use of a bunch of weapons.

Early in the game, yeah, you're very much a support class that has to play with a lot of finesse until like level... seven ish?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That is all fair. I think if I were to switch off Cthulhu, his play would open up a bit more.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This is a bit of a weird question, but (Personal Quest Spoilers) I made it to level 9 as Music Note! Yay! Except now, I really want to buckle down and complete my personal quest. I have to complete 4 boss scenarios, and I've done two so far. Of the scenarios we have unlocked, I know one of them has a boss at the end. But I'm wondering, of the scenarios we have, which ones will eventually lead to a boss encounter? So here's the all the ones I think we have available:

81 *This is the one with the boss IIRC

If anyone could give any insight on which if any of the scenarios lead to bosses that'd be great! I know just listing a bunch of numbers probably isn't the most informative way to trying to get help, but anything would be appreciated.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Someone has written up a guide for every personal quest:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1932120/personal-quest-guide

For your quest, they list every scenario number that has a boss and a recommendation for the fastest route to unlock and clear boss scenarios, including some alternative paths

To spoil yourself on just scenario unlock paths, numbers only no additional details, look here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143772/scenario-flowchart

So you could use the first one to identify which scenario numbers help you, and the second one to identify which scenarios you should be working on now

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Shadow225 posted:

That is all fair. I think if I were to switch off Cthulhu, his play would open up a bit more.
Cthulhu
Or just switch to a poisoner build with a side of cursing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Come over to the Gloomhaven LP Thread and help us pick our new perks and cards for our Mindthief and Two Minis!

Obvious spoilers for Two Minis (we have also unlocked Anrgy Face, but it's not being played atm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think the one thing Gloomhaven falls down with for me is the aesthetics. The tiles are all so generic and while I kinda see what they're doing it's absolutely nothing compared to the ones for descent.
I wonder if they'll change that in the expansion.