Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kin posted:

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more spin offs.

Like a kid Trunks and Goten show aimed more at children or something.

Just them going off on wacky adventures of the week in the DB universe with no major overarching plot.

I think they've realised at this point that the kids aren't really too popular. Not a lot of shows have breakout characters you can successfully merchandise to that level. Chopper from One Piece comes to mind. But Goku's always been by far the most popular DBZ character, and probably the easiest to write for. (The shonen idiot hero makes a lot of sense when you realise their whole thing is that they'll basically go along with whatever someone tells them to do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished super.
Pretty hosed up that the god children would have wiped out all of existence if the beefiest beefcake made a selfish wish.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished super.
Pretty hosed up that the god children would have wiped out all of existence if the beefiest beefcake made a selfish wish.

Thankfully, the wish was instead made by our selfless multiversal champion and hero of all, 17.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i'm glad Kefla finally made it into fighterz after being brutally robbed from season 2

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Thankfully, the wish was instead made by our selfless multiversal champion and hero of all, 17.

But what about your boat, brother?!?!?

a cartoon duck posted:

i'm glad Kefla finally made it into fighterz after being brutally robbed from season 2

It was very important that we got Janemba.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished super.

I mean they are eastern gods.

They love being a moral

Unlikewestern gods who just wanna be pricks

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nanigans posted:

The joke at the time was that 18 was stupid for thinking 17 would would let everyone die for a boat, but I think it’s nice that she was shocked he came so far from being a genocidal murder machine that doesn’t care about anything. Not like they knew their universe would’ve been wiped too.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Kin posted:

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more spin offs.

Like a kid Trunks and Goten show aimed more at children or something.

Just them going off on wacky adventures of the week in the DB universe with no major overarching plot.
I know this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion, but Teen Titans GO! but instead it's Dragonball Z.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nanigans posted:

It was very important that we got Janemba.

Unironically agree. Janemba has so much cool poo poo that was perfect for a fighting game.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Monaghan posted:

Unironically agree. Janemba has so much cool poo poo that was perfect for a fighting game.

But...more than Kefla???

Also, I'm still salty that those LAZY BASTARDS at ArcSys didn't make Janemba's particles look like the movie when he teleports. Low effort bullshit!

(I'm kidding)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

But...more than Kefla???

Also, I'm still salty that those LAZY BASTARDS at ArcSys didn't make Janemba's particles look like the movie when he teleports. Low effort bullshit!

(I'm kidding)

Janemba had weird cool square teleporty magic from one of the actually pretty visually creative and interesting DBZ movies.

Kefla had beams and one really cool wheel move.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nanigans posted:

(I'm kidding)

I remember reading somewhere that the animators for the movie nearly drove themselves insane when they were doing Janemba's teleporting animation. It was just so difficult and complicated

It does look so loving awesome though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheKingofSprings posted:

Janemba had weird cool square teleporty magic from one of the actually pretty visually creative and interesting DBZ movies.

But Kefla is actually a character (shallow as she may be), and a female one at that, and a fusion (everyone loves those) while Janemba doesn't even speak and has only one cool gimmick to him.

Whatever, I'm not even upset Janemba got in. I was more making a joke that when you look at season 2's characters, Janemba making it in over Kefla seemed odd.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Janemba being in is good

Kefla being in is good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73pp_ph-HzU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm laughing so hard right now. That's perfect in every way.

I'm glad they remembered the Kamehameha.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

But Kefla is actually a character (shallow as she may be), and a female one at that, and a fusion (everyone loves those) while Janemba doesn't even speak and has only one cool gimmick to him.

Whatever, I'm not even upset Janemba got in. I was more making a joke that when you look at season 2's characters, Janemba making it in over Kefla seemed odd.

When you want to sell advance DLC packs, you put the headliners first and the lovely ones last

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
But then where is Garlic Jr.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jan is kind of boring outside his teleporting gimmick which doesn’t exactly translate to a game great

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jan is kind of boring outside his teleporting gimmick which doesn’t exactly translate to a game great

:agreed:

He was kind of worth it for the Gogeta dramatic finish alone, tho.

Mother fucker downgrades to regular super saiyan to finish him off. That's gotta sting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's got stretchy limbs a sword which he shoots emergy out of and makes stuff like stone pillars come out of his hands. He's got a ton off stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heh, not worth watching.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, the movie stick with me for a few things.
1: Janemba cubeport
2: Gogeta's stadust breaker
3: Pikon cursing at Janemba causing his face to break

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The movie at the time answered two important questions:

1. What if vegitto, but the other way to fuse
2. What of hitler vs children

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Some storyboards got revealed for the upcoming manga chapter: https://imgur.com/a/eExu1i4

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Namtab posted:

2. What of hitler vs children

I wonder if that makes The Dictator Gotenks' official nemesis?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Webbeh posted:

Some storyboards got revealed for the upcoming manga chapter: https://imgur.com/a/eExu1i4

Looks fantastic. :allears: Super manga is good.

Happy to see that the Destructo Disc continues being the most deadly useless move in the series.:allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenVulgarity posted:

Janemba being in is good

Kefla being in is good

Legit this, idk why it has to be a contest when all of these were always gonna be in anyways too unless the game somehow bombed before they even got past the first wave of dlc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DBFZ is rare in that its pure fan service AND a actually fuckin good game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why isn't Pikkon in more poo poo, he was relatively prominent for a made-up bullshit character back in the day

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Toriyama: Who?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they've realised at this point that the kids aren't really too popular. Not a lot of shows have breakout characters you can successfully merchandise to that level. Chopper from One Piece comes to mind. But Goku's always been by far the most popular DBZ character, and probably the easiest to write for. (The shonen idiot hero makes a lot of sense when you realise their whole thing is that they'll basically go along with whatever someone tells them to do)

Thing is, it's down to the writing and they've been out of the spotlight for so long they could probably tweak the characterisation a bit to make them more enjoyable.

Just seems like there's a whole universe of content they could make that isn't power creep the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean as long as Toryama is involved it will be power creep the series because that’s what he knows

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Put hitler in dbzf

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean as long as Toryama is involved it will be power creep the series because that’s what he knows

Sssssssort of?

Beerus was way more super duper powerful than anything before.

Freeza was either tied or maybe a little stronger than Super Saiyan Blue but hosed up with the stamina part. But definitely weaker than Beerus.

Hit was actually weaker than Goku's Kaioken Blue, but basically caught up/surpassed him during the fight itself. I forget what happens in the manga because it was bad back then.

Neither vanilla Zamasu or Goku Black were really any stronger than Goku or Vegeta (one being flat out weaker, the other being literally a Goku), but they did well because the weaker one wished for immortality, and being the same person, worked incredibly well together with coordinated attacks. Something Goku and Vegeta can't really do. Fused Zamasu was shown to also be weaker than Blue Vegetto, but...kind of immortal?

And then, yeah, Jiren was flat out stronger than anyone save the angels, Zenos and maybe some of the GoD.

Broly is arguably up there around Jiren's level, but we can't really know as Goku used fusion rather than Ultra Instinct to beat him. I'd say he's not exactly an example of power creep.

Right now, Moro doesn't seem to be inherently more powerful than Goku/Vegeta, but uses magic that messes them up.

So while power creep is definitely a thing, outside of Ultra Instinct (which he can't control as of yet,) Goku hasn't become massively more powerful once he got Blue way back with RoF.

I'd say, if anything, power creep is less of thing in Super than it was in Z. Vegeta was leagues stronger than the last main boss, Piccolo. Freeza was leagues and leagues stronger than Vegeta. Cell was way stronger than Freeza. And even Kid Buu was stronger than Cell, seeing as Goku couldn't beat him even at SS3 without help. But in Super, sometimes the next villain isn't really any more powerful, but relies on tricks or gimmicks (immortality, the ability to learn mid-battle like a saiyan, magic).

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 13, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After thinking about it here's Blockhouse's STONE COLD LOCK OF THE SEASON of the week for DBFZ season 3

Safe Bets:
- Omega Shenron. (The seal on GT reps was already broken with Goku and SSB Gogeta has a victory line for him in the game files)
- Master Roshi (the most requested remaining character now that Kefla is in, has more than enough fights between DB, World's Strongest, and DBS to pull from for a move set)

Still Good Odds:
- Majin Vegeta (I'm honestly shocked that we're three seasons in and still no edgelord vegeta with self-destruct level 3)
- Raditz (another glaring omission)
- Toppo (one of the last two remaining relevant characters from the ToP)
- Ribrianne (the other last remaining relevant character from the ToP, could have a fun move set)
- Mira (DBFZ is the only Dragonball game since Xenoverse that doesn't have this dude in it)

Eeeehhhh:
- Mr. Satan (the other most requested remaining character, but suffers from a lack of material for a move set)
- Jaco (as much as I would love to have him in, he suffers from the same issue Mr. Satan does, even combining the Jaco manga and his fight in Resurrection F)
- Other Universe 6 characters (Nobody's really out here stanning for Cabba or Frost)
- Super Buu (his most iconic attack was stolen by Kid Buu)
- Bonyu (would be a good tie in for Kakarot but I'm not sure how her autonomous ki blast gimmick would translate)
- Chi Chi (given we've gotten 2 in 3 seasons female characters are not a priority for ASW)
- New original character (sure why not)

God I Hope Not:
- Other ToP characters (a congealed mass of "literally who")
- Individual Ginyu force members (they have like one move a piece y'all)
- Android 13 (terminally boring and a sign that the game would be scraping the bottom of the barrel)
- Bojack (see above but more so)
- Super 17 (see above but even more so)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 13, 2020

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why isn't Pikkon in more poo poo, he was relatively prominent for a made-up bullshit character back in the day

Hit is new Pikkon and also better

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Heck yeah give me Chi Chi and I will pressure the whole cast into becoming scholars

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also gently caress you put Cabba in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cabba that functions like Videl but with Vegeta in the place of Gohan would be neat