Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FuturePastNow posted:

if one of those engines explodes, it's gonna take out a rudder

something tells me that the clever people at airbus have probably thought of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

something tells me that the clever people at airbus have probably thought of this

One would hope but it didn’t work for Douglas...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

As an aside “You want to be particular and make it a runway, huh?” has to be a top 5 all time radio call

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Inacio posted:

just have them in a tube as usual except no windows

LCD windows, we have the technology

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I feel like bigass blended wing concepts like that have existed nonstop since my first memories as a child but have never come to anything resembling fruition.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mlmp08 posted:

I feel like bigass blended wing concepts like that have existed nonstop since my first memories as a child but have never come to anything resembling fruition.

As soon as Ryanair gets the flying public totally reaccustomed to airstairs, the gate problem is a non-issue.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

One would hope but it didn’t work for Douglas...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

quote:

GPWS: "Whoop whoop pull up. Whoop whoop pull up. Whoop whoop pull up."
Haynes: "Everybody stay in brace!"
GPWS: "Whoop whoop pull up."
Haynes: "God!"
[Sound of impact, end of recording]

The pilots made it out alive, but jesus loving christ that’s a terrifying thing to imagine.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

If the fuel savings are big enough they'll stuff passengers into any monstrosity imaginable won't they?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eggyolk posted:

If the fuel savings are big enough they'll stuff passengers into any monstrosity imaginable won't they?

There doesn’t seem to be much evidence one way or another. If 737 max orders continue maybe but then some companies will need new air frames now and can’t wait for airbus’s now long queue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress restarting the 757 bring back the mad dog

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress restarting the 757 bring back the mad dog

I'm sorry I only heard "stretch the E-jet until it needs a tail wheel"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CRJ-1800 which is two -900 fuselages side by side

Call me, Bombardier

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

Call me, Bombardier

I've built this in KSP. If you do it right you can keep adding fuselages and wings. I got up to 6 fuselages and it was still controllable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

I've built this in KSP. If you do it right you can keep adding fuselages and wings. I got up to 6 fuselages and it was still controllable.

I am so looking forward to KSP2, looks awesome.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

Call me, Bombardier

Bombardier probably doesn't have enough cash in the bank these days to pay the phone bill for a recording telling you to call Mitsubishi.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

hobbesmaster posted:

Bombardier probably doesn't have enough cash in the bank these days to pay the phone bill for a recording telling you to call Mitsubishi.

Bombardier’s loss is Embraer’s gain! Introducing the E390

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

Call me, Bombardier

crj-1100: what if the crj-1000 but longer

the crj-1000 is one of the most unnatural looking planes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

crj-1100: what if the crj-1000 but longer

the crj-1000 is one of the most unnatural looking planes

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

eggyolk posted:

If the ticket savings are big enough people will cram themselves onto any monstrosity

Honestly unless your legs are too long or you have sinus/ENT pressure issues or something specific, flying long haul is no bother.
If you offered people:
- free beer and mixer drinks for 12 hours
- free films that are not long out of the cinema and also classic tv shows
- or bring your own tablet/laptop
- unlimited free snacks
- also your boss can't phone you or email you even if they want to demand you do something urgently by tomorrow
- Oh and you end up on holiday somewhere
then it's really not that bad a way to spend a day, regardless of if you're at hoke or in the air.

Except for the experience at the departing airport, I quite like flying

simplefish fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 12, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

simplefish posted:

If the ticket savings are big enough people will cram themselves onto any monstrosity

Honestly unless your legs are too long or you have sinus/ENT pressure issues or something specific, flying long haul is no bother.
If you offered people:
- free beer and mixer drinks for 12 hours
- free films that are not long out of the cinema and also classic tv shows
- or bring your own tablet/laptop
- unlimited free snacks
- also your boss can't phone you or email you even if they want to demand you do something urgently by tomorrow
- Oh and you end up on holiday somewhere
then it's really not that bad a way to spend a day

Except for the experience at the departing airport, I quite like flying

Do you fly biz/first class or something? Flying across the country with a 250lb dude on on side and sick toddler behind me is the worst and about average for my luck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Preferred or extra leg room economy seats any airline status gets is usually a solid filter.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I arrive at the airport in good time and ask nicely and always get an aisle seat? Or if it's free I select when I check in online.

Babies on planes suck but they suck regarless of what the plane is.

And long haul, this is. Short haul is shitter by default, especially as I fly low cost, but those are short enough that I can suck it up and read a book in my own little world. The airport part is exactly as poo poo though for even less flight time which does irritate me more.

I am also describing travel outside the US, many Americans have told me how poo poo their airlines are before and they sound like cross-country Greyhound with extra TSA bullshit at the start.

The worst flight I've taken was Air Transat because it's the only one that was over 3 hours and didn't have seatback entertainment or free booze and you had to pay for an in flight meal.
But then the Flight Attendant was getting poo poo from everyone (flight had been massively delayed) and I sympathised/mutually bitched about things/people being poo poo with him in French and he unexpectedly and quietly brought me over a cup of something later, which brightened me up a bit. Positive human interaction and someone agreeing things are a bit poo poo does that.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude euro airlines invented low cost bullshit

granted Americans perfected it because we own that way, but economy intra-Europe sucks

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

Call me, Bombardier

The only correct answer for this plan is the SSJ-100, it'd have great foul weather performance, bet it could even land in a Typhoon.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude euro airlines invented low cost bullshit

granted Americans perfected it because we own that way, but economy intra-Europe sucks

Yeah, I agree. Like I said I was mostly talking about long haul.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I love flying European airlines transatlantic, but I'd take any major US airline, including our low cost carriers, over the European budget carriers 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The only correct answer for this plan is the SSJ-100, it'd have great foul weather performance, bet it could even land in a Typhoon.

:laffo:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvY2GK9B3M

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

See? Plenty of room!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mortabis posted:

I love flying European airlines transatlantic, but I'd take any major US airline, including our low cost carriers, over the European budget carriers 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

simplefish posted:

Yeah, I agree. Like I said I was mostly talking about long haul.

i dunno, economy on KLM, Airfrance, Lufthansa, Virgin, Alitalia et al is basically the same or worse hard product. catering might be slightly better. it's certainly a greyhound bus experience.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Same. The only time I really found myself being annoyed by American domestic flights was realizing that even in 2020 on a long-ish flight from CONUS to Hawaii, the domestic airliner didn't even have a USB port, much less seatback entertainment. Additionally, even if you wanted to buy one of the meals, they ran out of everything except bagged nuts almost immediately. This annoyance was somewhat lessened by the knowledge that when we landed, we'd be on vacation in Hawaii. And on the return flight, it was overnight redeye, so entertainment wasn't a big deal.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pictured: a cool Airbus project.

Also a blended wing model for some reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WTF is going on with the wing/engine mounting angles?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

WTF is going on with the wing/engine mounting angles?

those are actually huge surveillance binoculars

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jonny Nox posted:

Pictured: a cool Airbus project.

Why do we need a new 146?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Because Airbus hasn't bought BAe yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Why do we need a new 146?

Because only having low wing twin jets at airports is boring.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

Because only having low wing twin jets at airports is boring.

Bring back the Dornier 328!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

canard pusher pax jet when

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because Airbus hasn't bought BAe yet.

The Airbus-BAe merger was attempted and aborted. The reasons why it failed the first time are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Bring back the Dornier 328!
If you happen to want to fly between cincinnati and cleveland, you can take a 328 Jet on Ultimate Air Shuttle. I think they do some charter flying to ski resort towns out west too.