Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/issues/228

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The_Franz posted:

attn mods: posts from 2008 are somehow being mixed in with current ones please look into it

mods im also getting this, debug output attached:

BobHoward posted:

disabling selinux, which breaks all kinds of things out of the box, is cool and good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Yes, that's definitely the reason this is crazy.

i don't begrudge people their nostalgia-driven hobbies, I'm just saying at least use Swift or something so you don't hate every moment of your existence.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't begrudge people their nostalgia-driven hobbies, I'm just saying at least use Swift or something so you don't hate every moment of your existence.

think about the extremely hairy C library interactions a window manager requires

i wouldn't want to deal with that in swift

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure what kind of person would even bother with 3d on linux if they are allergic to proprietary drivers

the nvidia stack is the only one that actually works

Did you forget the discussion we had 6 or so months ago where everybody showed you that AMD works great with the vanilla kernel and this line of thought you keep spewing is utter horseshit?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BobHoward posted:

disabling selinux, which breaks all kinds of things out of the box, is cool and good
Incorrect.

BobHoward posted:

selinux is a good idea implemented incredibly poorly

Also incorrect.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
edit* Double post.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Did you forget the discussion we had 6 or so months ago where everybody showed you that AMD works great with the vanilla kernel and this line of thought you keep spewing is utter horseshit?

protondb disagrees

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

think about the extremely hairy C library interactions a window manager requires

you can literally just include c library headers into a swift program

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

psiox posted:

good news, nerds, linux finally has a great desktop window manager https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

but can it run quakeed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

protondb disagrees

Feel free to provide actual proof.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is a ratbert like a lambert

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Feel free to provide actual proof.

pick a game, any game, look for red dots, note "amd graphics"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

you can literally just include c library headers into a swift program

last i checked swift got made about things like unions

the x libraries are extremely bad and hairy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

haha, yeah, "everybody". and for that matter, haha, yeah, "discussion".

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i remember it, and ratbert is right. nbsd is searching protondb for anecdotes so he can protect his amd-drivers-will-always-be-bad-forever mantra

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

You literally need 0% C in a window manager. I've written programs that talked to the X server through an X11 implementation in Common Lisp.

And even if there's no X11 client protocol implementation in your language, the Xlib functions are pretty FFI-friendly. I've wrapped many of them in Haskell. And the point of XCB is that you can generate the client code based on XML descriptions of the protocol, although I'm not sure anyone did (except libxcb itself).

Accessing it in not-C is probably one of the few things that X11 does OK.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Athas posted:

You literally need 0% C in a window manager. I've written programs that talked to the X server through an X11 implementation in Common Lisp.

And even if there's no X11 client protocol implementation in your language, the Xlib functions are pretty FFI-friendly. I've wrapped many of them in Haskell. And the point of XCB is that you can generate the client code based on XML descriptions of the protocol, although I'm not sure anyone did (except libxcb itself).

Why the hell would you do *any* of this?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

James Baud posted:

I have a similar question regarding your post history

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

i remember it, and ratbert is right. nbsd is searching protondb for anecdotes so he can protect his amd-drivers-will-always-be-bad-forever mantra

I remember NBSD also comparing TI2080s to RX580s and using that as proof that AMD is worse than Nvidia.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pick a game, any game, look for red dots, note "amd graphics"

Ah the ol: “I make a claim and then have you provide evidence”tactic.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
this is fun, can we do x11 forwarding vs wayland again next

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I'm sure that the next will be somebody claiming they got wifi or printing working on Linux. lol, or sound.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

amd drivers were absolute dogshit two years ago, and i will not bother doing a lengthy new experiment on the guarantees from the kinds of posters who claimed btrfs was production-ready twenty huge data loss bugs ago.

if it hurts you badly to hear someone say your os is a pos (whether super-factual in every particular or not) you may have continued troubles ahead.

e: and hopefully they are indeed improving briskly. the bigger thing is of course the continued (and arguably increasing) irrelevance of linux on the desktop, but that's way more depressing than poking fun at details.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 13, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

amd drivers were absolute dogshit two years ago, and i will not bother doing a lengthy new experiment on the guarantees from the kinds of posters who claimed btrfs was production-ready twenty huge data loss bugs ago.

if it hurts you badly to hear someone say your os is a pos (whether super-factual in every particular or not) you may have continued troubles ahead.

e: and hopefully they are indeed improving briskly. the bigger thing is of course the continued (and arguably increasing) irrelevance of linux on the desktop, but that's way more depressing than poking fun at details.

To be fair, I have never advocated for BTRFS. It loving sucks.

Edit:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-54-radeon&num=3

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 13, 2020

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ah, bring up the btrfs-is-never-production-ready meme too, the perfect trifecta

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

klafbang posted:

I'm sure that the next will be somebody claiming they got wifi or printing working on Linux. lol, or sound.

sound? never heard of it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

klafbang posted:

Wifi and printing sure. But let's not go crazy with the sound thing.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

James Baud posted:

Misspent youth. I even ended up designing an entire programming language for writing small X11 tools before I realised how crazy it was getting.

I now compensate by focusing solely on GPUs that do not have monitors attached at all.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
are fonts on linux better than on windows because theyre v bad on windows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

poty posted:

are fonts on linux better than on windows because theyre v bad on windows

not really, but there is some measure of taste involved. the correct solution to fonts is a hidpi screen, pretty much all font rendering looks pretty much the same with enough pixels to work with. unless truly hilariously broken.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

unfortunately if you want to do any GL, the GLX/EGL bindings are based around Xlib's Display*, so you're stuck using Xlib.

Athas posted:

unfortunately it sacrifices this by making it terrible to access in C. my favorite is all the 32-bit data that's passed as "unsigned long*" which can't be changed for ABI reasons, so if you ever deal with pixel data from Xlib you have to write a copy loop to copy it from 64-bit back to 32-bit lol

libxcb is weird and has its own problems too... they made error handling worse, for some reason.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

those systemd / at what cost unix talks were great

i think i read them in this thread

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
finally, somebody said the magic word "systemd", now I can shitpost about systemd again

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
systemd is a great:
- init system
- cron replacement
- container manager
- it's an OK mount manager I guess

systemd is a loving terrible:
- logging framework
- dbus
- dns resolver
- login manager
- home directory manager
- hostname manager
- network manager
- time/date manager

unfortunately distros basically turn systemd into an all-or-nothing choice, and the "all" keeps getting bigger and more lovely

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2020

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
does anyone know a good ubuntu based distro using systemd+wayland+btrfs that runs well on amd cards?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zlodo posted:

does anyone know a good ubuntu based distro using systemd+wayland+btrfs that runs well on amd cards?

It's Ubuntu, op!

You won't even need to disable selinux.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zlodo posted:

Fedora friend. Never use Ubuntu.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

last time I checked, ubuntu had better default font smoothing than fedora. like last year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Fedora friend. Never use Ubuntu.

it even supports btrfs in the installer, never choose lvm on a desktop