Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's ok for words' meanings to change over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Seeing as no one has used decimation in the actual Roman punishment sense for nigh on 2 millennia now, maybe it's ok if the meaning had shifted a little.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The same thing happened with literally, I believe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CelticPredator posted:

If they couldn’t do Finn and poe for whatever reason why the gently caress couldn’t they just do Rey and Finn? They had chemistry.

It’s sickening.

I mean no, no they didn't.

The only time they spend together really is in the first film, where she's mostly blowing him off, and in the third film she's....mostly blowing him off.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Little Death posted:

Seeing as no one has used decimation in the actual Roman punishment sense for nigh on 2 millennia now, maybe it's ok if the meaning had shifted a little.

Actually, there were cases of decimation in the literal sense being ordered by Italian generals against under-performing regiments during the First World War. Though, unlike the Romans, they didn't have the other nine-tenths be the ones to execute their comrades. It still didn't do much to improve morale...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Actually, there were cases of decimation in the literal sense being ordered by Italian generals against under-performing regiments during the First World War. Though, unlike the Romans, they didn't have the other nine-tenths be the ones to execute their comrades. It still didn't do much to improve morale...

Could you say it decimated morale?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I found my favorite part of the script.

code:
CHANCELLOR HUX
Bomb the city! Decimate every last
being!

COMMANDER SELLIK
Our forces are outnumbered, sir.

Hux realizes the tragic truth. He lost the star wars.

INT. CHANCELLOR HUX’S CHAMBER - DAY
Hux storms into his lush chamber.

Goes to the collector’s case. Removes one of his prized
vintage lightsabers.

He activates it and IMPALES HIMSELF WITH THE PURPLE BLADE.

Hux kneels, the glowing saber protruding from his chest as
First Order ships descend in smoke and fire out the window.
He lost the star wars.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The same thing happened with literally, I believe.

People have literally ruined the meaning of the word 'literally' by using it both as its original meaning, and the opposite of its meaning, so now whenever someone uses it you literally have no idea whether they literally mean something or not.

Penultimate is also a fun one since it just means "second from last" but it sounds so cool that everyone uses it to mean super-ultimate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

He lost the star wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqFLo_bYq0

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lol I always wondered if that "I know" was an ESB reference. It would be weird for it to be, but it suddenly makes sense if Trevorrow told Johnson he wanted them to hook up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

piratepilates posted:

People have literally ruined the meaning of the word 'literally' by using it both as its original meaning, and the opposite of its meaning, so now whenever someone uses it you literally have no idea whether they literally mean something or not.

Penultimate is also a fun one since it just means "second from last" but it sounds so cool that everyone uses it to mean super-ultimate.
lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
Learn to pronounce
adverb

1: in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

2: in a non-literal manner or sense; figuratively.

SYNONYMS
Figuratively

ANTONYMS
Figuratively

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah literally is a tonal word haha. You have to hear the person say it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
Learn to pronounce
adverb

1: in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

2: in a non-literal manner or sense; figuratively.

SYNONYMS
Figuratively

ANTONYMS
Figuratively

This is such a pet peeve of mine. It means one thing, and the opposite of that same thing. I loving hate it.

edit: I guess other contronyms exist. (Bound means to fasten but also heading somewhere, as one example) But knowing this one happened because so many people just kept loving it up so they just went with it bugs me.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 13, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chuck Tingle posted:

IMPALES HIMSELF WITH THE PURPLE BLADE

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

thrawn527 posted:

code:
CHANCELLOR HUX
being!

COMMANDER SELLIK

vintage lightsabers.

He lost the star wars.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

This is such a pet peeve of mine. It means one thing, and the opposite of that same thing. I loving hate it.

edit: I guess other contronyms exist. (Bound means to fasten but also heading somewhere, as one example) But knowing this one happened because so many people just kept loving it up so they just went with it bugs me.

On the one hand it’s dumb because people aren’t using it to mean figuratively, they’re using it as part of a figurative exaggeration. Like when you say “I’m so hungry I could eat a horse” you’re speaking figuratively but when you say “I’m literally hungry enough to eat a horse” you’re not using literally to mean figuratively, you’re still just using hyperbole.

On the other hand the people who would incorrectly attempt to correct the latter usage above and say “umm actually that’s not what literally means :smug:” are insufferable and it’s good to annoy them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

On the other hand the people who would incorrectly attempt to correct the latter usage above and say “umm actually that’s not what literally means :smug:” are insufferable and it’s good to annoy them.

Oh I agree. If it helps, I don't like that I'm this way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hux specifically killing himself with Mace Windu’s sword is a lol.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I agree. If it helps, I don't like that I'm this way.

Oh haha I didn't mean you specifically, and you are right about the dictionary definition not addressing the root of the problem.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hux specifically killing himself with Mace Windu’s sword is a lol.

If you're a real Star Wars fan, then prove it: impale yourself on Mace Windu's sword.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

piratepilates posted:

People using “prototype” to mean exemplar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PeterWeller posted:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

It can only be improved by the other guy actually saying "We lost the star wars"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

RBA Starblade posted:

It can only be improved by the other guy actually saying "We lost the star wars"

While I was sitting in the theater, in the opening sequence when Finn is like “how can we repay you” and the alien replies “win the war!”

He could have said “win the star war” and I would have paid to see the movie again just for that

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DeimosRising posted:

People using “prototype” to mean exemplar

🤔 I'm not sure I've heard that one before, what is it like in a sentence?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Decimate feels wrong in that sentence. The word still implies a numerical destruction to me. In my brain, you can decimate a nation's army, but you can't decimate someone's face.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In every context where it makes sense, decimate implies that there were many and now there's a lot less, even if the amount was more than 10%.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One guess as to which thread in the Star Wars subform gets like ten times more activity than any of the others.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah it feels weird in the script specifically because decimation suggests "doing great damage to/reducing the numbers of" so when he wants to decimate each and every person it's like--you want to hurt them all really badly? Take out some of their organs?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Me at a fancy restaurant: "Hey I'm a little light this month can someone please decimate the check?"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

RBA Starblade posted:

If they did that and then that guy was played by anybody other than Matt Walsh, it would be the biggest missed opportunity in the entire franchise

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Basebf555 posted:

One guess as to which thread in the Star Wars subform gets like ten times more activity than any of the others.

There's only one interesting thing to talk about in all of Star Wars.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

There's only one interesting thing to talk about in all of Star Wars.

And its name is Jizz

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Just more evidence that Max Rebo is the most interesting character in the series.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

thrawn527 posted:

code:
CHANCELLOR HUX
being!

COMMANDER SELLIK

vintage lightsabers.

He lost the star wars.

Cinema Discusso › The Star Wars Spoiler thread: He lost the star wars

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Little Death posted:

Decimate feels wrong in that sentence. The word still implies a numerical destruction to me. In my brain, you can decimate a nation's army, but you can't decimate someone's face.

Decimating an army is pretty funny when you use the original meaning. I just imagine the executioner carefully hitting 1 guy every 10 guys out of a huge army.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I feel like I've become privy to something that shouldn't have been seen.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

:emptyquote:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bogus Adventure posted:

We clearly need this as the new thread title if for no other reason than that at this point we kind of aren't getting "new trilogies until we're dust."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We cashed in our chips with the mods when we got the other thread closed and banished 95% of star wars chat to the star wars gulag, where you blessedly don't have to think about it. We're not getting any other favors any time soon. That said it was insanely worth it to be sure

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Everyone posted:

We clearly need this as the new thread title if for no other reason than that at this point we kind of aren't getting "new trilogies until we're dust."

It's weird. I don't know what the next Star Wars movie is going to be, or when it's coming out. It's like it's 2005 all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

You need to rise, rey. The rise of a Skywalker