Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h6j20SN.mp4

This seems like the right thread for this.

Edit: Since it wasn't apparent, the guy survived without major injury thanks to his helmet. He definitely did not have a good time, though.

This reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid. I was a base brat and the base was doing a family day, where you get to look at vehicles, weapons on tables, and sometimes if you're lucky enough, take a ride in one of the vehicles. This family day was manned by 2PPCLI which is an infantry regiment. Their armoured recce platoon decided to take kids on a tour around the base in a TLAV(m113), which was bad-rear end. The only hiccup was that they forgot to switch to road tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

I've had a Muslim tell me that guest customs > food rules, at least within his school of law. If he's at somebody's else's house and the host unwittingly offers him a ham sandwich, the correct course of action is to accept it and wash his hands after dinner.

This also applies for kosher Jews. Only the most radical Jews and Muslims actually demand that you engage in starvation rather than violate dietary restrictions if it comes down to that. Eating taboo food as a last resort for your own survival or safety is acceptable in God's eyes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

This also applies for kosher Jews. Only the most radical Jews and Muslims actually demand that you engage in starvation rather than violate dietary restrictions if it comes down to that. Eating taboo food as a last resort for your own survival or safety is acceptable in God's eyes.

But if you just need to skip a meal it's okay. And you're not allowed to actively or negligently engineer your circumstances so you're "forced" to eat something on-kosher.

For example, Orthodox Jews who travel from Israel to destinations where kosher food can't be guaranteed will take canned goods with them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But if you just need to skip a meal it's okay. And you're not allowed to actively or negligently engineer your circumstances so you're "forced" to eat something on-kosher.

For example, Orthodox Jews who travel from Israel to destinations where kosher food can't be guaranteed will take canned goods with them.

Sardines it is.

For every meal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LingcodKilla posted:

Sardines it is.

For every meal.

You can mix it up with tuna. :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Steve1989 taught me that the IDF invented a kosher equivalent of spam called Loof.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Steve1989 taught me that the IDF invented a kosher equivalent of spam called Loof.

:stonk:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have asked a lot of Israelis about it and they universally describe it as disgusting

I still want to try it, bc I actually love spam, but it is definitely not popular among their troops

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Why do you hate yourself so?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sounds like their version of the veggie omelette :vomarine:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Sardines it is.

For every meal.

That's how Spielberg ended up the only person on the Raiders of the Lost Ark crew that didn't get deathly sick in Tunisia - a suitcase full of canned tuna, and that's all he ate.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

not caring here posted:

Mostly morbid curiosity. I usually bring a can of spam or corned beef camping. Surely it's basically just canned corned beef?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, it's just canned corned beef. I had some here in the US and it tastes (and smells :barf:) the same.

When you're in the field, and you're hungry, and you get to fry it up a bit.... it's edible. I'll give it that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dillbag posted:

That's how Spielberg ended up the only person on the Raiders of the Lost Ark crew that didn't get deathly sick in Tunisia - a suitcase full of canned tuna, and that's all he ate.

Gonna have to stock up soon Hrm.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

not caring here posted:

God demands it!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, it's just canned corned beef. I had some here in the US and it tastes (and smells :barf:) the same.

When you're in the field, and you're hungry, and you get to fry it up a bit.... it's edible. I'll give it that.

Tinned beef is not that bad you big baby

Fry it up with some onion and potato and maybe throw a sunny egg on top and you've got the best breakfast a scout troop could ask for

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Tinned beef is not that bad you big baby

Fry it up with some onion and potato and maybe throw a sunny egg on top and you've got the best breakfast a scout troop could ask for

Corned beef out the cab is best when it’s in the form of a canned hash. So good. So greasy, but so good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It really helps if you brown it. Canned corned beef (and corned beef hash) is delicious with hot sauce maybe a little bit of runny yolk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

piL posted:

It really helps if you brown it. Canned corned beef (and corned beef hash) is delicious with hot sauce maybe a little bit of runny yolk.

I always scotch the exterior of either and drown it in tabasco. Always Tabasco. There’s better hot sauce out there but there’s something about the flavor of just vinegar and peppers that works with canned stuff.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
That vinegar cuts the salt and grease nicely.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hormel brand roast beef hash, browned until crisp, with eggs scrambled in and a fuckton of Dill.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Stop making me hungry, you dicks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can effectively make Spam Musabi with canned corned beef.

Just FYI.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

. edit: wrong thread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Burglar posted:

Stop making me hungry, you dicks.

Don’t read the current cooking events thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Corned beef hash, scrambled eggs with hot sauce and pepper, wheat toast, some black coffee...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Corned beef hash, scrambled powdered eggs with hot sauce and pepper, wheat toast, some black coffee...

I have a weird nostalgia for powdered eggs. I could never eat them on a daily basis, or even more than very rarely, but whenever I have them it’s like some weird mental time warp.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My only exposure to powdered eggs was when InRange did the WW2 British Rations series a few years ago (edit: January 2018, god drat it feels like a lifetime ago), and Ian cooked some. It looked weird, but I'd try it (with low expectations).

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a weird nostalgia for powdered eggs. I could never eat them on a daily basis, or even more than very rarely, but whenever I have them it’s like some weird mental time warp.

UUUuuuuUUUUUgggggHhhHhhhhh gently caress no
Slightly green-tinted lukewarm weepy powdered eggs nonono

Wrong kind of nostalgia, friend

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mean, trauma flashbacks are a kind of nostalgia, just not a pleasant one

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I thought powdered eggs was something everybody encountered at some point or other in fast food or buffets.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have ptsd from mess hall french toast made from wonder bread that you could play raquetball with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whoever invented powdered eggs was a monster.

They didn’t make powdered foods better. They just made eggs worse.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TDY to Ramstein, initial impression after looking around is that it feels good to know that sleazy bootstrappy Americans aren't the only ones with hardons for used car lots with stars and stripes out the rear end to milk cash from are troops.

e. Someone I was on course with (name stalker IIRC) recommended kratman, I think I got through the blurb of the space Muslim one before saying gently caress that noise.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 18, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Oh he didn’t go straight in with the Kratman/Ringo collab featuring rejuvenated SS defending the weak modern Germany from ravenous aliens? And also a group of Jewish SS somehow

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh we haven't even discussed Mack Maloney and the Wingman series.

Because that's full on whackadoo bananas poo poo right there.

Makes Dale Brown look like high art.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

TDY to Ramstein, initial impression after looking around is that it feels good to know that sleazy bootstrappy Americans aren't the only ones with hardons for used car lots with stars and stripes out the rear end to milk cash from are troops.

e. Someone I was on course with (name stalker IIRC) recommended kratman, I think I got through the blurb of the space Muslim one before saying gently caress that noise.
When we went TDY to Ramstein our commander at the time wanted us to get him some wine from some guy named Christoph whose place was up the Mosel. Everyone I talked to there said his stuff was overpriced and his business was largely based on his ability to make dumb Americans feel important. I'd say our old commander definitely fits the bill.

Our highest ranking guy, the guy a little up thread who tossed away his retirement with 2 years left, didn't plan it real well. We went burning up there after being released from work without calling ahead. They weren't open or something and the lady who answered didn't speak much English. But he kept banging on the door and I was certain we were going to have the Polizei called on us as I tried to disappear into my seat while he kept banging for 5 minutes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MA-Horus posted:

The WIngman series is high art in its own way: full on whackadoo bananas poo poo

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Casimir Radon posted:

Our highest ranking guy, the guy a little up thread who tossed away his retirement with 2 years left, didn't plan it real well.

I was certain we were going to have the Polizei called on us as I tried to disappear into my seat while he kept banging for 5 minutes.

Sounds like the last time I went to the Frankfurt Red Light district truthfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

At least it was good crazy.