Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't look at me I quit the forums until chernobyl kept harassing me to come back (that's right I am throwing you under the bus fucker)

gotcha bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
haha

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

see

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
every professor who loses their mind on twitter because a student called dostoevsky "kind of dry" should follow through on their threats to resign and free up space in the academic job market

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I once told one of my professors that they were teaching the class wrong by focusing on a genre-focused analysis model of Latin American texts instead of a more valid post-structuralist model and I wish twitter was around because she got super mad at me and I want evidence.

I still stand by the fact that I was right. Reading "The Lost Steps" as a "travel narrative" is a waste of goddamn time.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

every professor who loses their mind on twitter because a student called dostoevsky "kind of dry" should follow through on their threats to resign and free up space in the academic job market

This.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I once told one of my professors that they were teaching the class wrong by focusing on a genre-focused analysis model of Latin American texts instead of a more valid post-structuralist model and I wish twitter was around because she got super mad at me and I want evidence.

I still stand by the fact that I was right. Reading "The Lost Steps" as a "travel narrative" is a waste of goddamn time.

extremely cool story

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

extremely cool story

see

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just wish I had gotten it in before your edit.

I've mostly given up on FB, and was a really late adopter of it anyway, but my god do I hate it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

When you make a post that's like "I try to be sincere and then people just post dumb poo poo at me" you kinda have to expect that people are going to post dumb poo poo at you.

It's like showing up to school with a note from your mother telling everyone not to pick on you. It's just going to have the opposite effect.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
people should post dumb poo poo at mel not because of the sincerity thing but because hes a post-structuralist

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

calling people dumb online opeens up new spaces of sincerity actually

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

people should post dumb poo poo at mel not because of the sincerity thing but because hes a post-structuralist

fair

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

post-structuralists are good actually

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
in 2020 we're all returning to the comforting bosom of New Criticism

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

in 2020 we're all returning to the comforting bosom of New Criticism

Mel and His Problems

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

arent you the dude who got mad at me because I said it was dumb to seek ethical consumption in pro wrestling

CestMoi posted:

dividing communicative acts into those which are sincere and those which are ironic and relentlessly categorising them in a desperate quest to discover authenticity is the sign of a diseased mind

p much

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

dividing communicative acts into those which are sincere and those which are ironic and relentlessly categorising them in a desperate quest to discover authenticity is the sign of a diseased mind

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i was gonna post stuff from the two worlds helldump thread in an attempt to own mel but that thread was apparently from 2007, which is 13 years ago, so instead i am going to go outside for a bit

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the repeated assassination of his own posts by the coward tree goat

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

arent you the dude who got mad at me because I said it was dumb to seek ethical consumption in pro wrestling

no that was the entire rest of the forum i just think you post bad about everything and start stupid arguments all the time and here you are, getting fussy about the times you were irritating in class many years ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
*throwing down a four-inch thick manilla folder labeled PROBLEMS WITH SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS POSTER 'MEL MUDKIPER'* listen up bitch,

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't start stupid arguments I just say things that make stupid people mad and whoops guess what

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
2666 has finally gotten its claws into me. I liked part 3 a lot. I’ve gotten over the amorphous surrealism of certain sections that was previously bogging me down and kind of realized a lot of it is Bolano doing some kind of David lynch impression, which is aiding the read.

Now, the part about the crimes. Wish me luck

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hobbez posted:

2666 has finally gotten its claws into me. I liked part 3 a lot. I’ve gotten over the amorphous surrealism of certain sections that was previously bogging me down and kind of realized a lot of it is Bolano doing some kind of David lynch impression, which is aiding the read.

Now, the part about the crimes. Wish me luck

Its a weird book in that it doesn't end and yet it ends perfectly

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

the repeated assassination of his own posts by the coward tree goat

i had forgotten that he used the terminology "Homo Lumen and Homo Cthoni" to refer to the internet and real worlds and i had to take stock of my life

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

hobbez posted:

...amorphous surrealism ... David lynch

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its a weird book in that it doesn't end and yet it ends perfectly

this is starting to sound like something i need to buy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't start stupid arguments I just say things that make stupid people mad and whoops guess what

Looking at your av/redtext I'm going to guess you accidentally caused another 9/11?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

derp posted:

you should read it now baby

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 18, 2020

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

Bolano is a hard rec from me in general and I think its The Savage Detectives that has a chapter where he just starts insulting every other Latin American writer and its humorously savage. As I recall he said Vargas Llosa became a right wing ideologue because he was mad about not winning enough awards.

Bilirubin posted:

Looking at your av/redtext I'm going to guess you accidentally caused another 9/11?

not accidentally

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ok on topic: I know nothing about Chinese lit. Hit me with a novel recommendation please and thank you

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
2666 is my favorite Bolaño book, each part is a different literary experience on its own. I still ain't over the fact that Fate gets caught

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

ok on topic: I know nothing about Chinese lit. Hit me with a novel recommendation please and thank you

romance of the three kingdoms

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

contemporary or classic?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

romance of the three kingdoms

Thanks!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

contemporary or classic?

Yes.

I mean I know nothing so sky's the limit (don't make me a nazi)

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

derp posted:

If I hadn’t already read the savage detectives I don’t think I would have made it this far in 2666. Savage detectives is generally a lot more fun, and gave me enough faith in Bolano to stick with 2666.

If you’re interested in more experimental/avant garde modern lit you gotta check him out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks!

Yes.

I mean I know nothing so sky's the limit (don't make me a nazi)

Well, the baseline is probably the Four Great Novels of Chinese Literature (tm)

Romance of the Three Kingdoms
The Water Margin
Journey to the West
Dream of the Red Chamber

Whats fun about those books is that not only are they good, they are also essentially the ur-texts of most East Asian pop culture. Like, after reading these books, especially Journey to the West, you will recognize references in East Asian pop culture everywhere.

For more contemporary, Mo Yan is fun. I also liked Yan Lianke.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

hobbez posted:

If I hadn’t already read the savage detectives I don’t think I would have made it this far in 2666. Savage detectives is generally a lot more fun, and gave me enough faith in Bolano to stick with 2666.

If you’re interested in more experimental/avant garde modern lit you gotta check him out.

i don't like fun. i like weird, surreal, beautiful, with dark undertones

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Someone on here recommended Can Xue, and Five Spice Street and Vertical Motion (a short story collection) both knocked my socks off

And yeah Mo Yan is great, I'm an especially huge fan of Republic of Wine which I've read twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Contemporary Chinese Lit can be interesting because it tends to be "safely subversive" in a way that you dont often see.

It's a very interesting style of social criticism within the confines of not upsetting the social order. Mo Yan is a fascinating example of it because his writing manages to be simultaneously deeply critical towards and yet also obediently loyal to the political status quo.