Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I played a WoT MUD imaginatively named Wheel of Time MUD for a short while but it was a bit too dense for young me to get into. The one character I kinda got off the ground got murdered in a pvp trolloc raid which was cool but also made it clear just how much time I would have to put into it to get to the cool stuff.

Apparently it's still online and has at least some kind of a playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Lord Bude posted:

This is an extremely incorrect opinion.

Now the WoT FPS from the 90s - that was godawful.

I'm still hoping gog will pick it up

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bloom posted:

I played a WoT MUD imaginatively named Wheel of Time MUD for a short while but it was a bit too dense for young me to get into. The one character I kinda got off the ground got murdered in a pvp trolloc raid which was cool but also made it clear just how much time I would have to put into it to get to the cool stuff.

Apparently it's still online and has at least some kind of a playerbase.

I think this is the one I tried yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yup, conversation with Tam is every bit as brutal as I remember. Tam awkwardly calling him "my Lord"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lotta super wrong opinions it

It had *amazing* multiplayer.

Shadar Logoth was also awesome as hell

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The WAys were genuinely terrifying. That game had great sound design, for the time.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lotta super wrong opinions it

It had *amazing* multiplayer.

I enjoyed the game more than I enjoyed the books!

The game ruled.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have the RPG book, the book of bad art, and the bad encyclopedia, but I don't have the game or the soundtrack.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What’s the book of bad art?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

“The World of the Wheel of Time”. It was the only reference book published while Jordan was alive. It came out between books 7 and 8 I believe.

The internal illustrations are almost entirely by the same artist who did the original covers for all the American books, which is why fans call it the Big Book of Bad Art. The Jordans must have been the only people on earth who liked that guy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I believe it was called 'Behind the Wheel of Time'

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's called The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312869363/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_AubtEbEBGJ8GT

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I have a copy. Or had. The binding was awful, began to fall apart in the space of minutes. No idea where it is now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Its cool because it goes into the Age of Legends, The Trolloc Wars, and the Hawkwing Conquest.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the book art is kind of funny because some of it, like the cover on crown of swords, is pretty okay other than rand's face being like 20% larger than it should be, but then you get others where people like moiraine and whoever look like weird halflings almost due to the proportions

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

“The World of the Wheel of Time”. It was the only reference book published while Jordan was alive. It came out between books 7 and 8 I believe.

The internal illustrations are almost entirely by the same artist who did the original covers for all the American books, which is why fans call it the Big Book of Bad Art. The Jordans must have been the only people on earth who liked that guy.

Different, much worse artist.

Sweet did the original covers and the first one won an award for best cover art. He had some health issues though which is why the quality declined.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just got done with Winters Heart and that man can sure write some good battle scenes. Too bad he got bogged down in trying to milk the series forever.

And on a side note I’m in completely new territory so I’m excited to see where the books go from here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Invalid Validation posted:

Just got done with Winters Heart and that man can sure write some good battle scenes. Too bad he got bogged down in trying to milk the series forever.

And on a side note I’m in completely new territory so I’m excited to see where the books go from here.

He got bogged down trying to milk the series forever to pay for treatment for his illness because America.

You might be a little disappointed in book 10, but book 11 seriously picks up the pace, resolving several major plot threads.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I managed to find the game and honestly it's pretty dope

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

the soundtrack.

Is this the soundtrack? Apparently, I bought this back in 2003. :lol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Could an Aiel beat up a Sardaukar

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The book of bad art has the only decent picture of Lanfear I've ever seen, but there's just so much other ghastly art in there.

An Aiel could beat one of the Imperial Sardaukar because the Aiel are a thinly-veiled (hah!) ripoff of the Fremen.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

calandryll posted:

oh my gosh, it's on spotify and now I'm listening to it and it is AWFUL. Loving it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

The book of bad art has the only decent picture of Lanfear I've ever seen, but there's just so much other ghastly art in there.

An Aiel could beat one of the Imperial Sardaukar because the Aiel are a thinly-veiled (hah!) ripoff of the Fremen.

I love the reasons for the forsaken, by the by. Lews Therin dumped me, I want to make music forever, I wasn't as tall as him, I was denied tenure...

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

He got bogged down trying to milk the series forever to pay for treatment for his illness because America.

He died like nine months after his diagnosis, and after promising to beat the average life expectancy of around two years. He’s also already sold like 10 million books at that point.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

The Neal! posted:

oh my gosh, it's on spotify and now I'm listening to it and it is AWFUL. Loving it.

At least you didn't spend money on it like I did! Also, bought the terrible art book as well. I was apparently quite dumb with my money back in the day.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The very first thing I bought on Amazon was in 2001 and it was a box of the Wheel of Time CCG cards. I didn't even want to play it, I just wanted to collect a bunch of cool artwork.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I must have a different version, because my copy of the World of has the maps and nothing else.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Drone Jett posted:

He died like nine months after his diagnosis, and after promising to beat the average life expectancy of around two years. He’s also already sold like 10 million books at that point.

*wife's illness afaik

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

*wife's illness afaik

Yeah it was his wife's illness that he purportedly extended the series' length for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

calandryll posted:

That's it. I've never actually listened to it, but I recognize the cover. Apparently all the lyrics are in English.

calandryll posted:

At least you didn't spend money on it like I did! Also, bought the terrible art book as well. I was apparently quite dumb with my money back in the day.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The very first thing I bought on Amazon was in 2001 and it was a box of the Wheel of Time CCG cards. I didn't even want to play it, I just wanted to collect a bunch of cool artwork.

I bought the Rifts CCG so I think I win the "terrible with my money as a kid" award.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm terrible with my money as an adult too!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

calandryll posted:

:stare:

If you have Prime you can stream this, and you should.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

We can't have a discussion of WoT music without Blind Guardian's two WoT metal songs!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Guardian is in no small part responsible for me picking up the series :v:

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it was his wife's illness that he purportedly extended the series' length for.

Jesus, how is their a single person in the US that doesn't support medicare for all? The whole country seems insane to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Neal! posted:

Jesus, how is their a single person in the US that doesn't support medicare for all? The whole country seems insane to me.

I mean some of us do but yeah a whole lot of people are fuckwit ignorant FYGM types.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

silvergoose posted:

I mean some of us do but yeah a whole lot of people are fuckwit ignorant FYGM types.

They're that clip of Mr. Burns going "One dollar for eternal happiness? ... No, I'd be happier with the dollar"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So how about that andoran Elayne proposal to have all the kin heal anyone who needs it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

So how about that andoran Elayne proposal to have all the kin heal anyone who needs it

And people wonder why Caemlyn burnt to the ground

SEE WHAT FREE HEALTHCARE DOES