Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont think I've seen Spartacus since I was a kid. Maybe I'll track down a copy for this weekend.

Tho I did just pickup the Bad Boys 4K collection, Evil Dead 2 (UHD), and The Dark Knight Rises (UHD). So my weekend is pretty booked as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
We have Evil Dead 1 & 2 in UHD, why don't we have Army of Darkness yet?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Iron Crowned posted:

We have Evil Dead 1 & 2 in UHD, why don't we have Army of Darkness yet?

no more editions of AoD please. Talk about milking the poo poo out of a home release.

I'm sure AoD being the only one of the three that was a studio funded film is why there's no good 4k version yet..or maybe the quality of the cut sequences brought back in the directors cut just aren't good enough for a 4k scan? And then which ending/opening do you go with???

That said the making of doc on AoD is my fav of all 3 making ofs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

no more editions of AoD please. Talk about milking the poo poo out of a home release.

I'm sure AoD being the only one of the three that was a studio funded film is why there's no good 4k version yet..or maybe the quality of the cut sequences brought back in the directors cut just aren't good enough for a 4k scan? And then which ending/opening do you go with???

That said the making of doc on AoD is my fav of all 3 making ofs.

Considering I had the gold plastic'd numbered limited edition from the dawn of DVDs, I have seen the rip van winkle ending so many times that the theatrical ending just feels wrong to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I had the gold plastic'd numbered limited edition from the dawn of DVDs, I have seen the rip van winkle ending so many times that the theatrical ending just feels wrong to me.

Yea to me that's the true ending because that's the version I saw first and at the time I didn't even realize it was considered an alternate ending. It was years later that I ended up seeing the theatrical ending on youtube.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, for me, it's the Rip van Winkle ending that feels kind of wrong.

partly because I first saw the movie on Sci-Fi Channel as a kid, where they showed a weird frankenstein of the theatrical and director's cuts that had the S-Mart ending, but also partly because I just don't think the Rip van Winkle one is narratively satisfying at all. Ash deserves better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

partly because I first saw the movie on Sci-Fi Channel as a kid, where they showed a weird frankenstein of the theatrical and director's cuts that had the S-Mart ending, but also partly because I just don't think the Rip van Winkle one is narratively satisfying at all. Ash deserves better.

Well in hindsight it's good they went with the ending they did because without it who knows what Ash Vs. Evil Dead would've been or if it even would've happened at all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've pretty much only ever watched the director's cut. I originally saw the theatrical cut (and have caught bits of it on tv over the years) when I was in fifth grade or something and when I went to buy a copy of the movie a couple years I noticed they had the fancy pants tape in the gold clamshell annoucning itself to be "a director's cut with extra scenes and a different ending!!!!". So of course I went with that one. I loved the DC ending right from the start. I just think that version is a better movie because it's fairly obvious when you watch the other one that they cut a bunch of poo poo. It's a fun movie either way.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think it's a better ending because it fits the character. He's not really a hero, he's just a bumbler who kinda sorta solves the problem. Him loving it up at the end is exactly what you'd expect to happen.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i dig that AvED doubled down on the omega man ending

fingers crossed for ed4 or something of that nature to finally do something with it

the commentary on the s mart ending is fantastic if only because you can really hear how over it they were in bruces voice when he talks about the studio interference and having to make this ending after the fact..i don't blame them for not giving a poo poo whatsoever by that point in the production but i still low key love the cheesy rear end s mart sequence.

i can't pick between them, they both work for me in different ways..i'd give ramis ending the edge because ED is his baby and it's what he envisioned..also kinda fits the theme of ED 1 and 2 endings if you think about it..ash is a gently caress up.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 21, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Arrow are doing a Gamera boxset. No specs yet, but are saying that there's 4K restorations of the 90s films.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Well in hindsight it's good they went with the ending they did because without it who knows what Ash Vs. Evil Dead would've been or if it even would've happened at all.

Sam Raimi had intended Army of Darkness to be the definitive end of the story.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Severin is also doing a 32-film Al Adamson set. I cringe at how much that will cost (buying it day one).

Hot update: I received an email from Severin about the set, and it's $170.

Hotter update: here's a long not worksafe trailer detailing the set
https://youtu.be/DWz8WOFiL6w

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 21, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always saw the theatrical so the ending will always be “hail to the king baby” and I can’t never not watch that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think the best ending is all the friends we made along the way.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my copy of Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 1 today. Just skimmed a bit and the restorations are pretty amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Got my copy of Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 1 today. Just skimmed a bit and the restorations are pretty amazing.

I refuse to watch Tex Avery cartoons in anything less than 8k with Dolby Atmos 7.1 audio.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No indication that it'll have Gamera The Brave.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Detective No. 27 posted:

No indication that it'll have Gamera The Brave.

Arrow's Facebook announce said "all 12 films" - the main series is 8 (iiiiif you include Super Monster which is a greatest hits) and the Heisei Reboot is a trilogy, so I assume it will?

Either way, my Mill Creek 4-movies-to-a-disc blu set can be retired.

E: here's the link, https://m.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/3060939050606735/?type=3

Mentions 12 films, only mentions 4K restorations of Heisei trilogy, includes a hardback copy of the Dark Horse comic run and an 80 page booklet, new commentaries, and that's it. No mention of any work on the older films, outside of "final specs TBA."

Between this and the Tsukamoto box, though, I'm happy.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 22, 2020

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Thank heavens criterion is doing The Great Escape. I was so hyped when they released it on Blu Ray only to find it looked suspiciously like a 1080p upscale from the ancient digital master they used to make the DVD.

What version of Highlander should I get? Are any of them different? There’s a new package every 5 years it seems.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

xarph posted:

Thank heavens criterion is doing The Great Escape. I was so hyped when they released it on Blu Ray only to find it looked suspiciously like a 1080p upscale from the ancient digital master they used to make the DVD.

Oddly enough, the Criterion will use the same 4K restoration the MGM Blu-ray used, but I think it's suspected MGM did a terrible job on mastering and encoding. Especially since the clips that were used in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood looked great. It's likely it'll be like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in that the same 4K is used, but Criterion does some additional color timing fixes and encodes way better.

Worth pointing out the very first DVD used a 4x3 letterboxed laserdisc master that used a full aperture element, which resulted in a ridiculous 2.80:1 aspect ratio and made the image off-center.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Severin is also doing a 32-film Al Adamson set. I cringe at how much that will cost (buying it day one).

Hot update: I received an email from Severin about the set, and it's $170.

Hotter update: here's a long not worksafe trailer detailing the set
https://youtu.be/DWz8WOFiL6w

I both really really want this but also realize that the main reason I want it is as a curiosity that'll sit on my shelf unwatched. Or I'll watch the doc and one or two of the movies and never get around to the rest.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I finally stopped draggin my feet on the Batman TAS blu-ray set. Amazon has it for 42 bucks which is the best price on that you'll find anywhere. So anyway, the one thing I really noticed about it is that the sound on it is really loving good. And I don't even have a sound system, I noticed this just through the tv speakers. The image has imperfections on some episodes but that's obviously the source materials and that stuff has always been there. I guess the HD really makes these things noticable, but this is by far the best the show has ever looked and that is a good sign they didn't gently caress around with heavy DVNR or anything. I only watched three episodes though, but from what I hear they did a very good job with this.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 22, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a tendency to forget about Big Lots. I popped in today while waiting for the head shop to open and scored a Scarface Blu Ray Steelbook for $8.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

King of the steelbooks has arrived:

Can't wait to crack it open, flip through some pages :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ughnnnnuhhhhbbghh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Can’t wait to get mine this week, haven’t been this excited for a new release in a long time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Ughnnnnuhhhhbbghh

I can't believe I even have to say this...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

Which steelbook is that?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Which steelbook is that?

Best Buy US

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boo, they took off the Thrombey Press logo in favor of goddamn Rotten Tomatoes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Boo, they took off the Thrombey Press logo in favor of goddamn Rotten Tomatoes.

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a sleeve over the actual steelbook.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cloks posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a sleeve over the actual steelbook.

Correct; this what it looks like under the sleeve

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m p sure Best Buy will have a couple available on Tuesday. That’s what I’m banking on, at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I can't believe I even have to say this...

I like a good steel Johnson, what can I say

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Outdated physical formats are all the rage with music and for some reason seeing that Knives Out steelbook makes me think someone needs to make a special edition Knives Out CED.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Outdated physical formats are all the rage with music and for some reason seeing that Knives Out steelbook makes me think someone needs to make a special edition Knives Out CED.

Someone call up Mondo Tees. They can gouge that thing to morons for a couple hundred bucks who can sell it on ebay to even bigger morons for three times that who aren't ever going to play the stupid rear end thing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Disney tried out some limited editions in the UK in laserdisc/LP packaging.

If Disney ever puts out "original original trilogy" Star Wars set, they should seriously make it like a miniature replica of the cherished THX laserdisc box set (similar to the Beatles in Mono CD set that managed to replicate the sleeves to the smallest detail, inclusive of paper sleeves and plastic covers inside and out)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney tried out some limited editions in the UK in laserdisc/LP packaging.

If Disney ever puts out "original original trilogy" Star Wars set, they should seriously make it like a miniature replica of the cherished THX laserdisc box set (similar to the Beatles in Mono CD set that managed to replicate the sleeves to the smallest detail, inclusive of paper sleeves and plastic covers inside and out)

That'll be out the same week as The Whole Bloody Affair and The Day the Clown Cried.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So 2027?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If I recall correctly The Day The Clown Cried will not be released on video in any format and the only way to see it will be theatrical screenings.