Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

what in the goddamn gently caress is that

https://www.boredpanda.com/turkey-abandoned-villas-disney-castles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

Guessing this:
https://allthatsinteresting.com/burj-al-babas

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

B-Nasty posted:

Mostly, the McMansion hate is just a bunch of sour grapes from individuals that can't afford to make bad decorating/architectural decisions at that level of scale (read: price.) There's plenty of plain/ugly middle class homes with bad layouts and tacky decorations ('Live, laugh, love', Thomas Kinkade 'art', etc.), but it doesn't elicit the same following as making fun of people that can, ostensibly, afford to make unpopular, $6-figure+ decisions.

There are McMansions and there are McMansions. My old boss had a McMansion but it looked very nice from the front. Most of the volume was on the down slope so you couldn't see it from the road and it didn't have the endless gables. It looked like a very big ranch style. No fake dormers or that nonsense. Matching windows. I'm guessing it was originally the model home when the development was being built.

It was actually quite nice and functional. They bought it on the cheap, before the market crash, so they probably still haven't made money on it.

Their neighbors had the big McMansions. Lots of gables and lots of lawsuits against the contractors.. They all looked like they were three stories when they were actually two. 250 square roofs and the like. Very poorly made. Full of black mold and falling apart. They were going about $2 million at the time. My boss got his for $1 million.

My boss was the black sheep of the neighborhood. Not enough roof apparently. They all hated him because his house worked and theirs didn't.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Empty Sandwich posted:

Healthy capitalism in action.
I'm going to be surprised if they manage to sell the 100 or so villas they need to cover their debts.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsUOXI_DWfM

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Here's some previews of a house that may end up being a future thread in this group.

How not to vent a gas water heater

I am here for this hello kitty X flex seal crossover event

The electrician will be back sometime we swear

He's just out shopping for more NM cable to put in the heating ducts

There's other fun stuff that I'm not sharing yet pending an engineer's report, but suffice to say this place should be a very fun very bad decision. :v

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Munro Home Inspections found the thread title in a $4 million house.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81Yr1uhC0c/?igshid=13icy0b4cpgc3

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Just imagine how many Syrian refugees you could accommodate in those. Okay so the building quality is probably terrible and who knows if the sewage system etc. works but it would be a slight upgrade from living in tents.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Nenonen posted:

Just imagine how many Syrian refugees you could accommodate in those. Okay so the building quality is probably terrible and who knows if the sewage system etc. works but it would be a slight upgrade from living in tents.

While you're completely right, I don't think there is a politician alive who would risk the headlines that immigrants/refugees were being housed in castles.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: That propane cylinder on the valve of the much larger cylinder inches from a tankless water heater which is unlikely far enough away from that operable window or the poorly sealed sections on the other side.

"Its ok, my buddy was an apprentice gas fitter for a few months back in 1988"

Icon Of Sin posted:

I doubt thats a century....

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Empty Sandwich posted:

You have the town layout finished for tomorrow?
Next week.
No, tomorrow.
Oh of course no problem

/CTRL-C CTRL-V CTRL-V CTRL-V CTRL-V CTRL-V CTRL-V CTRL-V

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

That instagram is a goldmine.

Where's the best place to put the asbestos dust you've scraped off your ceiling? in the air conditioning register

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/1231179984103976960

Hey y'all, want to solve this Bathroom Puzzle?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

While you're completely right, I don't think there is a politician alive who would risk the headlines that immigrants/refugees were being housed in castles.

It is extremely normal to house political prisoners in castles.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Platystemon posted:

It is extremely normal to house political prisoners in castles.

Rapunzel the Freedom Fighter

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Youth Decay posted:

MANCAVE gotta show how many animals I've killed because there aren't nearly enough dead animals in the rest of the house

11,000+ sf and it can be yours for $2.6 million
My uncle had the picture windows in his family room bricked over to provide more wall space for animal heads. AMA.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Youth Decay posted:

MANCAVE gotta show how many animals I've killed because there aren't nearly enough dead animals in the rest of the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pRwUpbmGP4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That was a journey.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/wigu/status/1232136490597130240

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
God damnit the rats are drinking fireball

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Kill it with fire.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I would never live there, but you best believe if I saw that on airbnb I'd book it for a weekend.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I love that. Minus the carpeted bathrooms.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Somehow keeping bedspreads that match the wallpaper for what, 40 years? 50? And they haven't even faded.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Somehow keeping bedspreads that match the wallpaper for what, 40 years? 50? And they haven't even faded.

The whole place was sealed, filled with inert gasses, and kept on mothballs since the day it was built.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm the fresh wetvac lines

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah and the carpet is in surprisingly good shape too

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

even dust doesn't want to be there

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wow, that is commitment to a theme. Where do you even find matching wallpaper, curtains, and bedspreads?
I bet that place hasn't changed inside since it was built in 1974.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bad Munki posted:

The whole place was sealed, filled with inert gasses, and kept on mothballs since the day it was built.

Imagine the smell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Wow, that is commitment to a theme. Where do you even find matching wallpaper, curtains, and bedspreads?

Anywhere that sells designer stuff?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Imagine the smell.

Smells green. Sickly green. Commit to the aesthetic.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bad Munki posted:

Smells green. Sickly green. Commit to the aesthetic.

I'm going with a cross between Febreeze bathroom spray and that general sort of old people smell.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s the undeniable scent of disinfectants in the hospice ward.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just overpoweringly mothballs. Nose-searing mothball smell, first you smell it and nothing else, and then after a few minutes, you just smell nothing as the olfactory center of your brain shuts down. Shortly before you also stop being able to see the color green.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So that's where the Wizard of Oz retired to.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darchangel posted:

I bet that place hasn't changed inside since it was built in 1974.

Back in the day you could get matching wallpaper, curtains, sheets and bedspreads right from the Sears catalog. RIP.

You could also get wallpaper murals. As a kid I thought those were so cool. You could have a beach or a forest right in your own bedroom!

Green house people should have gotten one of these.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Leperflesh posted:

Just overpoweringly mothballs. Nose-searing mothball smell, first you smell it and nothing else, and then after a few minutes, you just smell nothing as the olfactory center of your brain shuts down. Shortly before you also stop being able to see the color green.

Do you suppose that if you lived there long enough, your vision would change?

Like, you couldn't tell the difference between all the colours of Skittles, but you could distinguish 80 different types of grass at a glance?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

You could also get wallpaper murals. As a kid I thought those were so cool. You could have a beach or a forest right in your own bedroom!

Green house people should have gotten one of these.

Whoa, haven't though of this in years but a friend growing up had one just like that in his finished basement, and can confirm, I though it was rad as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Somehow you get an inkling from seeing the "Country Villas West" font.