Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Turns out I was misremembering - it's actually a combo with a level 7 doom. Which, admittedly, is using a lot of your class features to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife and I are playing two characters each and having fun, but the sheer bookkeeping aspect of each of us maintaining two characters plus the rest of the overhead involved is really dragging down our games. We initially tried playing just one character each but got butchered a few times in a row (tinkerer and mindthief). Should we switch back to one character each? All 4 of our characters are near retirement but I don't want to get stuck with a crappy combo like tinkerer and mindthief again!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are you using the app? That'll help a ton right there if not. If you are and still struggling then yeah, just go down to 2 characters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

InternetJunky posted:

My wife and I are playing two characters each and having fun, but the sheer bookkeeping aspect of each of us maintaining two characters plus the rest of the overhead involved is really dragging down our games. We initially tried playing just one character each but got butchered a few times in a row (tinkerer and mindthief). Should we switch back to one character each? All 4 of our characters are near retirement but I don't want to get stuck with a crappy combo like tinkerer and mindthief again!
Are you using Gloomhaven Helper? It helps with the game overhead in general.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, absolutely drop back to 1 character each once you retire your characters. Just keep in mind that some classes were primarily designed with support in mind and don't work as well as other classes in a duo group. That's the Tinkerer, Music Note, Bonesaw, and the expansion class. Triforce and Spellweaver can also be a bit tricky without someone helping out with element creation.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I agree thats just a rough pair for 2 players. We started with Tinkerer, Mindthief and Brute but our Tinkerer player lives a state away so only could make it once in a while. We didnt notice a huge increase in difficulty with just Brute and Mindthief but we did have to take some cards that we might have otherwise left in the box when the tinkerer was around.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

LeninVS posted:

Any strategies for getting people to speed up their turns? Our spellweaver is taking 4-10 minutes to figure out what to do every time. It's making scenarios last 3+h each. Even for easy ones, and ones we are doing for a 2nd time.

If they are taking so long because they are a perfectionist, or afraid of loving up, I might try to lead by example by playing my cards and saying things like "ah I know this will probably go badly, but I gotta make one so here goes". Hopefully they catch on, if they don't, I would address them directly and gently that they shouldn't worry about the choice being perfect, since the monster abilities could change the plan of action anyway.

If this doesn't work, I feel it's justified to quarterback a little and suggest certain courses of action, if you know the class they're playing well enough to do so.

My group has a Mindthief who is consistently slower than everyone else, and it's generally because 1) he's worse at the game 2) he's risk-averse (which is a bad combination when playing Mindthief.) The above suggestions work for us to help him along, he's still the slowest but it's not a major drag on us anymore.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the input. I think we'll try dropping down to 1 character each and I guess I need to check out that app as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Source.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im gonna have to solo gloomhaven so i can be ready for frosthaven

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That is so pretty.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Aren't the Copperneck Mountains part of the Gloomhaven map too?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yes, they are the furthest north part of the map.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Thought so. Nice continuity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

At first I thought it was showing frosthaven to the south of copperneck mountains, but then I noticed the tiny outpost slightly to the north of them is actually Frosthaven; the map of the outpost at the bottom is just a zoomed in representation

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea Frosthaven is going to have a lot more city building/improving aspects to it, so it makes sense they would dedicate more of the map to the city.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Guy A. Person posted:

So, sorry, but was their point about all those Descent expansions adding up to 87 total tiles not accurate? Cause even if I agree that the Gloom tiles need way more character, that’s still not nearly a fair comparison

No, there's 50 tiles. Actually 48 I think? They're all numbered, definitely doesn't go up to 87! It definitely feels like Gloomhaven currently has more tiles.

QuarkJets posted:

lol seriously I don't think that having unique, only used once map tiles would benefit this game. I prefer having plain tiles with things to add, like chests and npcs, and there's certainly a lot of potential to expand what can be put on the boards

They don't have to be unique only used once. They just need more character. Descent ones represent loads of different bits and places and times across a ton of campaigns in exactly the same way. They're just not completely plain but coloured green/brown/blue like Gloomhaven, that's all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-6P-jUy0w

12 minute kick starter preview with Isaac

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-6P-jUy0w

12 minute kick starter preview with Isaac

Everything sounds pretty good to me! Issac is focusing on beefing up the between-scenario game play (town building, road/city events, etc.) which was honestly the weakest part of Gloomhaven.

I do hope the 3 campaign branches alluded to are not mutually exclusive or anything. I don't like huge swathes of scenarios to remain locked content. Gloomhaven had a few of these, like 1 medium scenario path a couple of either/or scenarios, and that was a tolerable amount. I pretty much min/maxed my way through the scenario tree.

I really like the change in retirement goals to unlocking buildings. That seems more thematic but now how will most classes get unlocked? I need that steady stream of envelop opening and envious oogling new class mechanics!

The puzzle book thing concerns me the most as I hope Issac learned his lessons from Envelope X. He does mention giving more direction and clues but his adamant refusal to talk about Envelop X provides no insight into his perspective as a designer.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I dunno if you need to spoiler stuff from that video? Although thanks for writing it up because it's a long video for me to watch.

I really think Isaac likes the puzzle stuff. He's got quite a lot of decisions in the game that support the idea that he's a big fan of puzzles and stuff.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sun made for a cool story for in my game. My retirement card was "get exhausted 12 times" or something like that, but I was playing attack-tank, so I hardly ever did. I spent every round hardly caring whether I died, actively trying to go out in a blaze of glory sometimes, and then surviving the whole way through because that's what sun does. I eventually got to level 9 and I was getting frustrated at having lived so long. I wanted to unlock the lightning bolt, and my character had clearly been trying to get to Valhalla all this time, but our enemies were just too weak and cowardly to beat us. I could see myself playing this character long-term in a TTRPG.

She got her happy ending. I unlocked lightning and got all the blazes of glory I could ever want.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I hope you like Bolts. It's my 2nd favorite class behind Angry Face.

FWIW it's also Isaac's favorite class.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, if you want to try to do a 100 damage in a turn, Bolts is the class for you.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Cocks Cable posted:

Everything sounds pretty good to me! Issac is focusing on beefing up the between-scenario game play (town building, road/city events, etc.) which was honestly the weakest part of Gloomhaven.

I do hope the 3 campaign branches alluded to are not mutually exclusive or anything. I don't like huge swathes of scenarios to remain locked content. Gloomhaven had a few of these, like 1 medium scenario path a couple of either/or scenarios, and that was a tolerable amount. I pretty much min/maxed my way through the scenario tree.

I believe these refer to the three different races you have to pacify over the course of the campaign. It's like how in gloomhaven there are paths related to the voice, the demons, and the corruption under GH that all have different resolutions, even though not all of them lead to the 'endgame path'.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My friend and I beat scenario 51. it's a bad mission; there's nothing interesting about the boss, he's just a big bag of hp that hits hard. Gonna take a break from the game for a few weeks before coming back to do the expansion stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From reddit, Pax East card spoilers for the Necromancer and 3 of the 4 Jaws of the Lion classes.
Also has alternate playtesting cards at the bottom that may replace some of them. Fair warning, spoilers for all card levels

https://imgur.com/a/FNeWajE - Necromancer

https://imgur.com/a/NJB87Ek - Hatchet

https://imgur.com/a/k2LxjTA - Demolitionist

https://imgur.com/a/CaxqY9A - Red Guard

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm pretty hype just because there is a card called Fancy Hat.

I don't care about anything else. I want that card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kalli posted:

From reddit, Pax East card spoilers for the Necromancer and 3 of the 4 Jaws of the Lion classes.
Also has alternate playtesting cards at the bottom that may replace some of them. Fair warning, spoilers for all card levels

https://imgur.com/a/FNeWajE - Necromancer

https://imgur.com/a/NJB87Ek - Hatchet

https://imgur.com/a/k2LxjTA - Demolitionist

https://imgur.com/a/CaxqY9A - Red Guard

These all look really great. I can't wait to get these dudes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Interesting thing we noticed in regards to one of these classes (spoilers in case anyone is avoiding all info):

Do objects have hit points by default now? The demolitionist has several cards that reference doing damage/extra damage to objects specifically (unless those are just bizarre typos and it is supposed to read "enemy adjacent to")

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

Interesting thing we noticed in regards to one of these classes (spoilers in case anyone is avoiding all info):

Do objects have hit points by default now? The demolitionist has several cards that reference doing damage/extra damage to objects specifically (unless those are just bizarre typos and it is supposed to read "enemy adjacent to")
Only in some scenarios, so I'm guessing it's just for those. That one they have is basically a scenario-ender, much like a few other cards in the game.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Maybe not by default but they might be more common than they were in the base game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since scrap materials (wood, etc.) are now a type of loot, there may very well be special obstacles that can be destroyed for loot tokens

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Since scrap materials (wood, etc.) are now a type of loot, there may very well be special obstacles that can be destroyed for loot tokens

Well that new mechanic is for Frosthaven specifically tho right? I don't think they are changing the loot mechanics for Jaws of the Lion (especially since it's supposed to be simpler in the first place).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's all cross-compatible though, would make sense to future-proof a bit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's all cross-compatible though, would make sense to future-proof a bit.

Only if it doesn't introduce complications for Jaws of the Lion. That's supposed to be an intro set, so including mechanics that basically don't ever come into play without a $150 expansion that won't even be out yet would be a bad idea. Presumably JotL has a fair number of destructible obstacles on its own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Well that new mechanic is for Frosthaven specifically tho right? I don't think they are changing the loot mechanics for Jaws of the Lion (especially since it's supposed to be simpler in the first place).

It was a mechanic introduced in the Frosthaven announcement but that doesn't mean it's only a Frosthaven mechanic. The Jaws of the Lion campaign takes place entirely within the city of Gloomhaven, known for having literally crumbling infrastructure in some parts

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So after playing mostly beefy bruiser characters, I've been trying out the Spellweaver for the last while and god drat does that class eventually open up. She's a squishy little thing, and how highly she's focused on loss cards makes you play with a different kind of economy from most classes, but when you want to rip the roof off of a place hot drat.

(Technically spoilers I guess, but it's not like it's an unlocked class and all items are either at unboxing or so obvious that there existence hardly counts.)

One player couldn't come tonight so we just did some random scenarios for funnsies. I also just happened to have just turned level 9 and grabbed Inferno. Holy loving poo poo. I thought I was being less min-maxy cause the last person to play the Spellweaver picked the other level 9 card that can kill things in a zone. O was I wrong. That loving card just makes rooms melt. And it's not even a loss! We rapidly realized that me entering a room, popping invisibility, then with some prepped fire mana, eagle-eye goggles and a power potion... It just is apocalyptic. Why yes I would like to make 12 attack 6's with advantage. And look at that I just spent a mana potion and a sun earring so next round I'm going to do it again. No, gently caress you, room full of snakes. Die in my rage-filled conflagration.

I love that card so much. My only "problem" is I can't enhance the top, which I admit would be even more broken but god I just want to burn things.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Even better, it's not a ranged attack. Think of the item combos that allows.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Waaaaaaay ahead of you. I got something absurd like 150 gold* and papa's going shopping.

*In a surprise twist, turning an entire room full of monsters into money and having a couple Loot 2 actions is very lucrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

http://www.cephalofair.com/2020/03/the-launch-has-shifted-and-thats-okay.html

Well bless his heart. Issac is going to start a new 10 week 10 scenario community driven campaign because everyone is trapped in their homes.