Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Casual genocide was a pretty extreme outcome to this one, I gotta say.

Feel kinda bad for Yama. Spent his whole life just trying to keep his people safe. He was a good boy. :smith:

Between him and Karaka I wonder how many of the Slayers are going to have a positive bent to them. Then there's the entire other side of the spectrum with hilariously evil genocide loving maniac White. What a mixed deck they got in FUG.

Even White has literally been forced to have a conscience now.

Slayers sort of seem like for a long time they've just been bad boys whose only job was to give people angry at Jahad's regime an outlet. Now that there's an actual hope of winning, they have to figure out how to lead people and accomplish something and they've had like tens of thousands of years of that being a recipe for disaster to unlearn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to turn out that White is actually good and the people he genocided were all Tower Nazis.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ytlaya posted:

It's going to turn out that White is actually good and the people he genocided were all Tower Nazis.

Wasn't his backstory that he ruled a few kingdoms and made them fight each other? So while they might've been Tower Nazis, he'd be several Tower Hitlers at once.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yes, White is irredeemable and probably still plotting to eat Baam and the rest of the souls.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Hodgepodge posted:

Even White has literally been forced to have a conscience now.

Slayers sort of seem like for a long time they've just been bad boys whose only job was to give people angry at Jahad's regime an outlet. Now that there's an actual hope of winning, they have to figure out how to lead people and accomplish something and they've had like tens of thousands of years of that being a recipe for disaster to unlearn.

Yeah, that's a good point. There's a big difference in actually fighting for a cause and lashing out against authority with no hope of achieving a goal.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
It's just an irregular kid, a few dogs, and some slayers. What could possibly go wrong.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. There's a big difference in actually fighting for a cause and lashing out against authority with no hope of achieving a goal.

it's worth noting that as a kid, white's first instinct was to create a kingdom and rule it justly for the sake of his people, and his dad is like "no, i meant you have to become a complete monster"

given that it's being established that irregulars have a godlike ability to shape the destiny of people in the tower, it's pretty likely that nothing white has done was anything less than 100% the outcome his father was hoping for

and we've only seen hints at conflict within the 10 families, but he might not have done that with jahad's best interests in mind. it's also been said that he mostly serves jahad because jahad repeatedly kicked his rear end- that's not exactly a loyalty that comes from anything other than seeing no hope of opposing him on his own

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 19, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah but Urek is stronger than him, too, and he doesn't follow Urek.

I think, to keep this "War" interesting, there's going to be defectors among the families. FUG as a whole seems to be maybe as strong as one family, but without the unstoppable irregular hacks at the top of it to compete (which is obviously where Baam comes in to even the playing field).

Po Bidau is an obvious one, but we can assume that Ha might be the next in line because of Yuri and Jin Sung both being deeply tied to Baam. And maybe Khun given what we saw of them in the data world and Maschenny's clearly-not-so-loyal-to-Zahard situation. She just wants poo poo to go crazy and supporting Baam's rise would certainly help that.

I imagine Lo Po Bia is going to be hardline Zahard. They've been set up as antagonistic for awhile. Sriracha's casual genocide, the twins from the name hunt station, Elaine and Yama both being at odds with them. And I guess the Bloodmadders if their lore holds up, because he needs the status quo to keep his immortality going.

We know so little about the other ones though. Arie just seem to all be battle junkies, so who knows with them. Yeon are imperious assholes with fire magic that do poo poo like force near extinction to create false scarcity of a pretty gem -- so basically all we know about them is they're assholes with the exception of Ehwa, who had Baam's magical friendship powers undo her evil family brainwashing. Don't know poo poo about Tu Perie. Unless one of the princesses we've seen is one (maybe repellista?) we literally haven't even seen a Tu Perie member I'm pretty sure. Ari are...vassals to Arie? Or something? There was something between that Ari ranker and White but not much to glean.

There might be another obvious defector with the Eurasia familiy considering Eurasia Anne finding out what Zahard was really on about and being sealed is a powderkeg waiting to blow, and the family head has some ages old lovers history with Po Bidau.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 19, 2020

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I was kinda disappointed that the new wall hero didn't kill any of Yasratcha's goons since SIU is killing people off again.
I also want Kallavan to fight with Urek. That should be a fun fight and Kallavan getting put in his place would be neat to see.

What are the chances that Baam is going to absorb the Essence of Bravery?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's been the only sure thing to happen since this arc started

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
It's about 100% since the "ancient warlord" who left it behind even looks like what we've seen of his dad, except going all Kenshiro on some people instead of walking around in a kimono. And we've just seen that irregulars can predict and manipulate the actions of people n years into the future, so chances are that Kallavan's real calling in life is delivering a fat power boost and infodump to Baam from his dad.

e: also Kallavan hesitated to kill him because he wanted to see his potential, and that was really just the Power of Friendship getting its foot in the door; I'll be pretty surprised if the dude doesn't join Baam's shonen bro-harem or die heroically.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That reminds me a lot of The Breaker by the way, and how literally every named character would jizz in their pants at Shiwoon and be like "I WANT TO SEE HOW FAR THAT BOY GOESSSSS AAAAaaaaaaaa," with the polite well dressed dude being especially gay for him. ngl I wanted to see them wind up together in the end but that's definitely not going to happen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Gologle posted:

That reminds me a lot of The Breaker by the way, and how literally every named character would jizz in their pants at Shiwoon and be like "I WANT TO SEE HOW FAR THAT BOY GOESSSSS AAAAaaaaaaaa," with the polite well dressed dude being especially gay for him. ngl I wanted to see them wind up together in the end but that's definitely not going to happen.

my hunch is that fug has such an awkward name because it was inspired by suc, thus the "god" thing slayers have going on. iirc siu stated that it doesn't stand for anything except the last letter definitely being grace. luckily it's not as... unfortunate as suc; the fan suggestion "forgiven under grace" is actually a pretty good name

also siu writes a lot of homosocial relationships in a way that screams "i can't talk honestly about being gay but i'm going to include lots of gay characters in a socially acceptable manner" to me

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 20, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Quant and Leroro are definitely together and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I imagine Lo Po Bia is going to be hardline Zahard. They've been set up as antagonistic for awhile. Sriracha's casual genocide, the twins from the name hunt station, Elaine and Yama both being at odds with them.

Also that dude in the goofy suit who fights Yu Han Sung really early on, IIRC, and Yu Han Sung seems to basically be an ally at this point.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Quant and Leroro are definitely together and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

I refuse to believe that even current Baam could defeat Quant. I bet Quant could be a high ranker if he wanted to, but he just likes taking it easy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-50/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=468

In which Baam unleashes the awesome power of...marketing.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

It's truly the most terrifying ability.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Brownieftw posted:

It's truly the most terrifying ability.

Truly anachronistic for this manga

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Ubiquitus posted:

Truly anachronistic for this manga

You think marketing is new?

Sparta was so good at it that people still believe their press thousands of years later, despite the fact that they were bad at everything except desperately attempting to maintain helotry and they barely managed that for very long because it undermined the development of a society with the capacities needed to compete with their neighbors and in the end their own fate was very appropriately to become a tourist trap for rich Romans who were willing to pay to visit the fantasy land Sparta had convinced people it was.

Also the Tower is weird, remember the subplot about a phone app? It's probably the whiplash of Korea going from a military dictatorship ruling over people who still knew older relatives who were peasants to the bleeding edge of neoliberal 'democracy' in less than 30 years.

Also why every Manwha setting involves a hierarchy based around great families/clans. I assume it isn't even the past they're talking about, just an aristocracy which has adapted to capitalism.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 24, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This has been done about 1000 times already, but I'm always silently giggling when filler characters suddenly realize the Bamm is more than meets the eye.
Guess that Dragonball trope never stopped being entertaining.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Who was the one that said this to Baam?

Was is Khun or was it a voice that Baam heard?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

There is no arrow in the bubble. If you take the last frame, it is White that said it in his head.
If you take the next frame, it should be Khun.
I think the second option makes more sense, because the next bubble begins with "anyway,"

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

But won't this backfire really hard? I thought Baam got away with a lot of his poo poo because the world at large had no idea he existed. Now a lot of people will want to hunt him, no?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

But won't this backfire really hard? I thought Baam got away with a lot of his poo poo because the world at large had no idea he existed. Now a lot of people will want to hunt him, no?

Just more people to either join his gang through the power of friendship or to throw their magical power ups at him through his voracious power hunger.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Bernardo Orel posted:

Lots of people will want other things from him as well.

Some of them want to use him. Some of them want to be used by him. Who are we to disagree?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
At this point it can be assumed that Jahad and all 10 leader of the great families are aware of him and his nature.

So there's not much to lose I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they also probably know urek is interested in him and he's definitely stronger than all of them aside from maybe jahad

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That won't stop basically any of them lol

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

That kind of plays into why I think there's going to be a massive schism in the ten families. If they were united in any way they just crash down and squash FUG and Baam. But I bet it's going to be way more complicated than that. And Baam pulling this little maneuver, basically announcing to the entire tower that he's a godlike wunderkind and taking on Jahad, is announcing to anyone waiting to turn on Jahad AND all the FUG Elders who've been content to sit back and let Baam climb the tower as if he was your run of the mill slayer. Well, he clearly isn't.

Even in Khun's little analysis comparing Adori to Baam, he did say "Excluding irregulars." It might just spread the rumor that he's an Irregular because only someone like Urek could ever beat a ranker this early in his climb. Someone who can actually take on Jahad is even more inciting.

Baam vs Pan is going to be the catalyst for it all.

I also wonder if this assault they're planning on the hyper prison is being set up as a big turning point for the Anti Jahad forces. We got kind of beat on the head by Khel and Dowon that FUG never had a significant win in all their thrashing and rebelling against Jahad. He and his forces were always way too powerful and, if Khel's ability to see the future is any indication, able to dictate fate because Jahad and the other leaders are irregulars who can do that.

Well now we got our little "fate" black hole ready to mix things up and, possibly, give FUG their first serious win if he can successful save Jinsung.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 25, 2020

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

In which Baam immediately ascends to rank 69.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I also wonder if this assault they're planning on the hyper prison is being set up as a big turning point for the Anti Jahad forces. We got kind of beat on the head by Khel and Dowon that FUG never had a significant win in all their thrashing and rebelling against Jahad. He and his forces were always way too powerful and, if Khel's ability to see the future is any indication, able to dictate fate because Jahad and the other leaders are irregulars who can do that.

Well know we got out little "fate" black hole ready to mix things up and, possibly, give FUG their first serious win if he can successful save Jinsung.

I don't know the outcome to spoil it anyhow, but that seems to be what is being set up in the fastpass chapters. Also it's really cool.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

profileusername posted:

In which Baam immediately ascends to rank 69.

69 is pretty farfetched.
420 is high is enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
Rank is a matter of influence on current events, and irregulars tend to shoot up to the top whenever they do anything and linger there for a long time even if they only do one thing and go away. Challenging Jahad could realistically put him in the top 20 simply because there aren't 20 people in the Tower capable of it.

One interesting thing about learning more about how Irregulars work is what it implies about Rachel. She's obviously operating way below her potential in terms of shinsoo and so forth, but it almost doesn't matter. Even Baam's actions are still predicted by the fate his mother planned for him and Enryu's prophecy. It's uncertain that these account for Rachel. Gustang clearly thinks he's going to use her, but the one serious talent we've seen from her is using people, and Gustang is an arrogant stemlord who hasn't dealt with someone he can't manipulate with magic powers for thousands of years.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 25, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hey motherfuckers stop your speculating and watch this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBzWhfN3hI

You can kind of see the animation shortcuts taken to save money (Kind of rigid but I assume it'll be more fluid for action scenes) but the designs all look spot on.

Man I hope this is really popular. I just want to see an entire new audience react to what is 100% going to be the season 1 finale. Such a good hook.

edit: also those cheeky bastards dropped the trailer on the 25th. That's loving great.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I often regard animated properties that I like as cool and hopeful that they might get more people interested in the work, but more often than not I drop off after a few episodes since I'll be more invested in the current comic story or whatever. In this case I am so far removed from ToG's start and so much is different in the comic now vs. then that I'm actually genuinely curious how it will feel and come off revisiting it, and that's got me fairly excited.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Here's another one with a bit more going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMNfPj9Bqc

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Not bad, but they should have went with the "what do you desire" text from the first s1e1 because it's so good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Not bad, but they should have went with the "what do you desire" text from the first s1e1 because it's so good.

They actually go with that line in their mass original announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFRoUMkUDw

But that has non-ToG stuff in it, too, so I didn't think to post it first.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Looks somewhat promising. Do we know the studio?

Animation is middling, artwork and lines are chunky but fit SIUs theme well. T'would be fun to see since it's been quite some time since I read this from the start.

The first trailer music reminded me in the start of the Min'yō masterpieces in GITS 1/2.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ironically, while I think the quality of the characters and animation is not great, it works well for how ToG started out. Couldn't help but notice the already annoying added details like that one regular with the rifle pointing it at Leroro. There was one guy who had the stones to shittalk a ranker at that time but everyone very consistently terrified of him. I wish studios wouldn't add scenes like this