Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Sure. And at the point where the physical act of typing all that is costing you your health, it’s time to spend some more thought on what’s getting typed up in the first place.

honestly she's doing all right. she's told the discord that her arms are hurting not nearly as much as they used to after chapters these days, so the PT seems to be working atm.

of course, the fact that she finally bought a mechanical keyboard at the start of january might also have something to do with that

apparently this was similar to the keyboard she had used for literally millions of words:

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI Patreon 7.09 JESUS loving CHRIST

that city was goddamn horrifying.

the outworlders got I have no mouth and I must scream'd :stonk:

also the great old one totally isn't dead and lives on through the inhabitants

Well gently caress.

Some comments on the site speculated that a camera might have been able to see the reality of the place.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't get why everyone's freaking out about the latest chapter of the wandering inn. I've been reading it for the last three hours and it's just a chill magic carpet ride with some history lessons.

Edit: oh, ok

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 26, 2020

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

lurksion posted:

Curious as to what this is exactly?

Rankings/recommendations based on unique daily visitors I’d assume.

Nope. It's about how their Trending system works. It goes something like this - in the first x amount of time of posting a story on RRL, it's difficult if not impossible to get that story on the Trending list (which operates, if my tired brain can recall it correctly, on ratings and reviews over time.) Therefore, to get on the that list, you need to post your first chapter and then not post anything else until that amount of time has passed (a month, I think?) Once it has, start posting as frequently as possible. Because you'll go from few if any ratings and reviews to a lot more, you'll shoot right up the Trending list and get more eyes on which means more ratings and reviews which means you stay up there which means...

Case in point, I know of a few 'Western' serial writers who are exploiting this as we speak. One of them has posted three stories on RRL in the past, so, I've got some stats:

The first got about 30 followers in three years.
The second got about 50 followers in one year.
Their most recent one, which has done the month-wait thing, has hit 1500 in under three months.

Basically, you don't want anyone to rate or review your story in that first month. And when people on RRL say you should have a 'launch period' where you post your chapters once or multiple times a day, they're trying to kneecap you.

I hoard more RRL secrets, but they're harder to prove.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 26, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Catching up with Threads of Destiny and I am sad about Xiulan leaving.

It's also neat seeing how various characters are changing; it seems like third realm stuff involves sorta solidifying "who you are as a person" and your "path" or whatever. Meizhen apparently did a bunch of soul-searching off-screen and is now a lot more chill and dating the Bai spider girl, and Cai Renxiang is also beginning to change some. It was interesting seeing her actually comment on missing Gan Guangli.

I'm also relieved that Sixiang is staying. I wonder what the probability of rolls going bad and Sixiang leaving in that scenario was.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Catching up with Threads of Destiny and I am sad about Xiulan leaving.

It's also neat seeing how various characters are changing; it seems like third realm stuff involves sorta solidifying "who you are as a person" and your "path" or whatever. Meizhen apparently did a bunch of soul-searching off-screen and is now a lot more chill and dating the Bai spider girl, and Cai Renxiang is also beginning to change some. It was interesting seeing her actually comment on missing Gan Guangli.

I'm also relieved that Sixiang is staying. I wonder what the probability of rolls going bad and Sixiang leaving in that scenario was.

I'm a little disappointed that Ling Qi's Most Awkward Date Ever wasn't a hilarious disaster. Granted, she turned a casual romantic dinner into going on at length about her terrifying "I like winter because it's honest about wanting to kill everything it sees, just like me" philosophy, but given that this is Ling Qi we're talking about that's honestly a pretty decent outcome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Ling Qi's Most Awkward Date Ever wasn't a hilarious disaster. Granted, she turned a casual romantic dinner into going on at length about her terrifying "I like winter because it's honest about wanting to kill everything it sees, just like me" philosophy, but given that this is Ling Qi we're talking about that's honestly a pretty decent outcome.

I like that she's at least trying to chill out some and engage with people honestly. And that dinner wasn't really romantic; it was more just a causal networking sort of thing. I also like the Bao guy and I enjoy how the series isn't afraid to introduce new characters and involve them in the story.

I was surprised to find out in the chapter that listed everyone's Inner Sect rankings that Liao Zhu is apparently ranked #2. I didn't realize he was such a big shot when he tutored Ling Qi (unless I'm misremembering who he is).

In general, I really like FoD/ToD's interpretation of cultivation as a fantasy setting. The idea of people developing increasingly powerful magical abilities that ultimately reflect their experiences and who they are as a person is really cool. Like someone doesn't just "use fire skills" or whatever; they use some specific philosophical interpretation of fire that becomes increasingly personal as they develop. It's really the perfect kind of setting to tell this sort of "progression" story.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I like that she's trying to act like a mammal, but I find one drawback to the extended turns is that it can be tough to remember who the heck some of these people are. Ling Qi's friends and enemies are easy enough, but whenever she hangs out with a side person I often have to squint funny for like half a page to figure out who that dude is.

The most recent update had perhaps the most Ling Qi thing that Ling Qi has ever said:

“You know, I’m surprised that bonding that spirit affected you so much already,” Ling Qi commented idly.

“...I just dyed and styled my hair,” Yu Nuan replied, giving her an unimpressed look.

One point of order, where did they say that Bai's secret special friend was the spider lady? I know she got a necklace recently and Ling Qi was (mentally) squeeing happily for her, but I can't remember anyone explicitly figuring out who it was she was hanging out with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Omi no Kami posted:

I like that she's trying to act like a mammal, but I find one drawback to the extended turns is that it can be tough to remember who the heck some of these people are. Ling Qi's friends and enemies are easy enough, but whenever she hangs out with a side person I often have to squint funny for like half a page to figure out who that dude is.

The most recent update had perhaps the most Ling Qi thing that Ling Qi has ever said:

“You know, I’m surprised that bonding that spirit affected you so much already,” Ling Qi commented idly.

“...I just dyed and styled my hair,” Yu Nuan replied, giving her an unimpressed look.

One point of order, where did they say that Bai's secret special friend was the spider lady? I know she got a necklace recently and Ling Qi was (mentally) squeeing happily for her, but I can't remember anyone explicitly figuring out who it was she was hanging out with.

I'm pretty sure Ling Qi has actually seen them walking together (and felt kind of jealous about it) and it's also just been mentioned at least a few times.

I have a pretty easy time remembering most of the people, for whatever reason. The only ones I'm still kind of unsure about are some of the people Ling Qi met at that party and the hunting trip, and that's just because they've only shown up in one or two scenes (and even then I think I more or less remember the important ones - IIRC this Wang guy Cai wants her to befriend is the same one who called her out on being aloof during the hunting trip.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

So, just wondering, but why are 99% of these stories about real life leveling or superheroes?
You'd think a horror or mystery or SciFi or even just a different type of fantasy story would also work as a web serial.

My House of Horrors is pretty good.

It suffers heavily from translation issues. I used to recommend it fairly often but it got hit hard by China's crackdown on web serials.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
No, Wu was the guy who called her out on the hunting trip. He's a viscount scion to the Luo count Scion.

Wang is the celestial peaks weeaboo who called Ling Qi out at Cais party for being too harsh on the sword boy Liang He that she dueled. Hes a count Scion. His family was raised up by Duchess Cai.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Katreus posted:

No, Wu was the guy who called her out on the hunting trip. He's a viscount scion to the Luo count Scion.

Wang is the celestial peaks weeaboo who called Ling Qi out at Cais party for being too harsh on the sword boy Liang He that she dueled. Hes a count Scion. His family was raised up by Duchess Cai.

Ahh, I remember that guy. The only one who really stood out to me at the party was the Luo guy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finished 7.08k and I have to say, Flos chapters are as boring as ever. Hope 7.09k is better.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
7.09K should've been interesting, but it failed to get the horror/lovecraft atmosphere across imo

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 29, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm starting to not mind trey chapters quite so much just because he meets much more interesting people than flos

give me a fetohep pov arc where he somehow ends up in contact with erin

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

lurksion posted:

7.09K should've been interesting, but it failed to get the horror/lovecraft atmosphere across imo

I kinda disagree. While they didn’t stick the ending beginning with the discovery of the backpack, I thought it was sufficiently creepy.

Don’t ask how I thought the chapter should have ended, but something was missing

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want chapters about my low key new fave, the investigative journalist.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

navyjack posted:

I kinda disagree. While they didn’t stick the ending beginning with the discovery of the backpack, I thought it was sufficiently creepy.

Don’t ask how I thought the chapter should have ended, but something was missing
Zerg swarms do not make existential/mental horror go. And the constant "forced telling" of in the earlier parts does not set up that tone appropriately either.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I really liked that chapter in particular because of the way that the tone didn't match the subject matter - for me the end result was that the more I thought about it, the creepier it became, which seems like a good result.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I love how Katalepsis manages to simultaneously be a super-duper messed-up supernatural horror story and also a wonderfully happy and upbeat comedy about the river in the desert that is Evelyn's Home For Thirsty Wizards.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Oo Koo posted:

"Devourer of Worlds" Somehow manages to make me invested in a world eating eldritch abomination learning how to people and becoming a magic teacher, despite never watching a single episode of RWBY or making it further in Chrono Trigger than finding Robo.

I would have never read anything remotely as weird as a RWBY/chrono trigger crossover without this recommendation considering I've never even watched RWBY either but this is uh, actually pretty good? Thanks for the recommendation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

7.09K was better than 8, though I hate the lazy rear end trope of "no I can't tell you about the impending horror we're going to see like a normal person, figure it out yourself scrub".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I got really bored after the first few K chapters and haven't read any of them since. It has literally never been a problem, which raises the question of why they even exist.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

To increase word count

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I mean the war one was p okay if I recall collectly butttt that’s it

Zombie Knight is up and running again and it’s decent to not decent. It’s slowed down and lost all traction lately but it used to be goodish.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah, there's strong "I want to be writing a different book" energy in that one.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of Cultivation Chat Group, has anyone found a method for downloading chapters from QU that isn't copy/pasting into a text file? I've got the Web2Epub extension for Chrome but it doesn't work for the site's layout, nor does Pocket.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Qidian Underground might still be a thing, I dunno. I just buy my chapters with the free Fast Passes, because CCG is the only thing I read.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

"Devourer of Worlds" Somehow manages to make me invested in a world eating eldritch abomination learning how to people and becoming a magic teacher, despite never watching a single episode of RWBY or making it further in Chrono Trigger than finding Robo.

Can someone post a link to this? The googling the title is getting me nowhere.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Vateke posted:

Can someone post a link to this? The googling the title is getting me nowhere.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/devourer-of-worlds-a-lavos-spawn-quest-chrono-trigger-x-rwby-crossover-au-elements.45591/

I think it's this, the description you quoted made it sound like fanfiction which was the keyword you needed to search it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

I got really bored after the first few K chapters and haven't read any of them since. It has literally never been a problem, which raises the question of why they even exist.

I have a feeling they're building up to.. something. I've grown to like them a lot more as it's been Trey and Teresa visiting various nations and seeing all their weird cultures. It's fun worldbuilding. And it's kinda examining the consequences of the whole mechanics of the world and its effects on international politics on a different level than Erin. It's a lot better than just Flos navelgazing all day like it was early on.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Myriad Truths posted:

Speaking of Cultivation Chat Group, has anyone found a method for downloading chapters from QU that isn't copy/pasting into a text file? I've got the Web2Epub extension for Chrome but it doesn't work for the site's layout, nor does Pocket.

If you have python knowledge its not that hard to write a scraper.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wolpertinger posted:

I have a feeling they're building up to.. something. I've grown to like them a lot more as it's been Trey and Teresa visiting various nations and seeing all their weird cultures. It's fun worldbuilding. And it's kinda examining the consequences of the whole mechanics of the world and its effects on international politics on a different level than Erin. It's a lot better than just Flos navelgazing all day like it was early on.

I generally find them interesting when Flos isn't in there, and I think pirateaba caught on to that because he barely is (haven't read the latest batch yet). Like I mentioned, I quite like the idea of the investigative journalist from earth working in the background, and would love to hear more from them, whether it's as a POV chapter or just in the form of more news reports. Actually, now that I think about it, a chapter in the style of a long-form expose written by them about Chandrarian politics might be cool.

On the other hand, it's also telling that the most interesting K chapter was the one starring Erin and Pisces.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah the ones without Flos are okay because the main problem with the Flos chapters is he's a poo poo character implemented in a poo poo way.

Not only is he the worst Mary Sue, but the story bends around him to make him justified rather than actually look at him through any interesting lens. His whole struggle is "before the story started, I got depressed and let my empire crumble and all my people suffer" but his only character trait besides "I'm the best" is "I care soooooo much about my people" and that's never reconciled in any meaningful way.

7.10K is an important Flos chapter and therefor dreadful. He meets gnolls. He likes the fact that the gnolls gambled on him so much he gives them a bunch of land, screw everybody who's already his people living there. Some other gnolls getting killed on the way to him is enough to send him into a frothing rage swearing 1000-to-1 genocide. And gnoll refugees getting killed by some villagers makes a bunch of nations who are enemies of the King of Destruction instead declare war on Lyfelt where they died, despite xenophobia against the gnolls even from the people in Reim. It's not believable, it's plot points about Flos warping the story.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Worth the Candle: riding dire guinea pigs :3:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah the ones without Flos are okay because the main problem with the Flos chapters is he's a poo poo character implemented in a poo poo way.

Not only is he the worst Mary Sue, but the story bends around him to make him justified rather than actually look at him through any interesting lens. His whole struggle is "before the story started, I got depressed and let my empire crumble and all my people suffer" but his only character trait besides "I'm the best" is "I care soooooo much about my people" and that's never reconciled in any meaningful way.

7.10K is an important Flos chapter and therefor dreadful. He meets gnolls. He likes the fact that the gnolls gambled on him so much he gives them a bunch of land, screw everybody who's already his people living there. Some other gnolls getting killed on the way to him is enough to send him into a frothing rage swearing 1000-to-1 genocide. And gnoll refugees getting killed by some villagers makes a bunch of nations who are enemies of the King of Destruction instead declare war on Lyfelt where they died, despite xenophobia against the gnolls even from the people in Reim. It's not believable, it's plot points about Flos warping the story.

Honestly in my brain Flos made perfect sense, then I remember this isn't Practical Guide to Evil. Because it feels like he's using PTGE logic, in that by being unnecessarily grandoise and hammy and trying to act like a storybook character, the universe wants to warp to let that story happen as it should. Because by the same logic, becoming that kind of character leads inevitably to a dramatic, epic death.

And since PTGE logic is essentially story logic, I feel like Flos is headed to an epic death anyway.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 2, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

New Worth the Candle chapters are great. Can never have enough Onion jokes. And I loving loved this part:

quote:

«Charon is empty. Where are you? Name color seventeen.» He hadn’t even used all fifteen words. (I assumed the punctuation that should have been there.)

“That’s Onion,” I said to Amaryllis. “He knows something is up, it’s a challenge that we don’t have a response to.” I repeated the message back to her, and she nodded.

“Better not to respond,” said Amaryllis.

“No,” I replied. “Better to throw him off as best we can.” Val would have known what to say.

“I don’t think you can faze him, but you’re welcome to try,” replied Amaryllis. “Run it by me first to make sure you’re not breaking opsec.”

I ran my first thought by Amaryllis, and she rolled her eyes, but decided that it didn’t break opsec, even if it did give him a hint as to what was going on.

«It is me, your nephew Yarrow, who is completely alive and safe. Do not worry.»

“I don’t think that’s going to rattle him,” said Amaryllis. “If he’s smart, he won’t respond. Once you’re finished, we’ll dig a hole and place the marble in it, then have Grak ward it, then bury it.”

But Onion did respond, and with considerably more venom than I had imagined.

«Your bones will be dust your skin flayed your blood curdled your soul eternally damned» came his response. I almost laughed. It was some internet tough guy bullshit.

«That is a very rude way to speak to your beloved nephew who is alive» I replied.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I liked how much of the new WtC was spent on goofy nonsense and slice of life stuff instead of oppressive levels of depression and angst. I'm amazed that the clone thingie went as well as it did; given how 90% of their friendship consists of brutal violence punctuated by failures to communicate, I figured that either the clone was lying about not merging with the original or that they'd switched places while Juniper's back was turned so Amaryllis could figure out what the heck his deal was. Both would've been awful cliches and (further) alienated Juniper, so it's prolly for the best that it was played straight.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

The cliffhanger for this WtC is also real good, because does that break the terms of the duel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

The cliffhanger for this WtC is also real good, because does that break the terms of the duel?
Bit late now if it does. 🧅'll have a lot of people scrambling to take advantage, and the cliffhanger clearly happened after the leek, so it'll be easy enough to deal with. Maybe a few tears.