Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Looking forward to it. Preordered in order to support and hopefully to ensure the 4th book gets published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Looking forward to it. Preordered in order to support and hopefully to ensure the 4th book gets published.

Edited for snipe:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

I'm not a great hustler, and I haven't made a dime of royalties off these books (and because they're joint accounted, I won't unless all four earn out.) I just want to finish Baru's story right.

jesus christ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Bat, do you have a patreon or something

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Xtanstic posted:

Likewise. Thanks for the notice that it's available to pre-order and the encouragement to do so.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

jesus christ

If I understand this correctly, this means that he doesn't get royalties from the books until Tor has fully made back whatever they invested in them up-front (advances if any, marketing, cover art, etc)?

I still haven't gotten around to reading Monster Baru, but I've preordered this.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
New month, new monthly kindle deals. I haven't read most of these so if you have a pro- or anti-recommendation feel free to share.

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDDAETS/

Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z4SH5O/
I wasn't a big fan of these compared to her assassin's series. Guess you won't find cheaper outside the library.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKENQ/

Empress of Forever by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVCXWR5/

Dust (Silo #3) by Hugh Howey - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYNGPTG

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00851M70C/

The Kill Society (Sandman Slim #9) by Richard Kadrey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M031BL8/

Someone Like Me by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B88J71D

The Iron Dragon's Mother by Michael Swanwick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVCYKRF/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God drat it I've been rumbled.

Empress Forever was $2.99 in Norway too, so that's not a problem, but I sense my fortune is ended.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

If I understand this correctly, this means that he doesn't get royalties from the books until Tor has fully made back whatever they invested in them up-front (advances if any, marketing, cover art, etc)?

I still haven't gotten around to reading Monster Baru, but I've preordered this.

I think he's mentioned before he was given a decent advance.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I read I think 2 or 3 books of Daniel Abraham's Dragon and Coin series after finishing what was out of The Expanse at the time, and can't think of much to recommend it. It had a interesting premise but I didn't really care about anything that actually happened with the characters, even the interesting ones.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Thanks for the heads up about the pre-order! Between this and Harrow the Ninth early June's going to be great.

freebooter posted:

Still seems like a pretty tough situation though. I'm glad there's more Baru to read but does make the whole 3 books into 4 thing a bit more mixed :/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

You need to keep in mind that, for a first novel, $10,000 is considered a decent advance. That may or may not have been for the whole series, too, and I do not know if that was the number, but advances for anyone that doesn't have 10+ years of best sellers behind them and/or a number of awards are still small.

Which certainly isn't chump change, but the General isn't doing this for the money.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So do people generally write in the evenings then while holding down office jobs? Seems tough to finish 4 books on a deadline while doing that, and makes me madder at Rothfuss for having years of idle time that he’s squandered away not writing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

So do people generally write in the evenings then while holding down office jobs? Seems tough to finish 4 books on a deadline while doing that, and makes me madder at Rothfuss for having years of idle time that he’s squandered away not writing.

That's one way. They also write during breaks at work, or when they're supposed to be working, or on weekends, or in the mornings before work... There are countless ways authors get their stories finished. It can be very interesting to listen to/read one author interview another and be absolutely floored at how different their writing schedules are (assuming you're in to behind-the-scenes stuff like that).

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

I read I think 2 or 3 books of Daniel Abraham's Dragon and Coin series after finishing what was out of The Expanse at the time, and can't think of much to recommend it. It had a interesting premise but I didn't really care about anything that actually happened with the characters, even the interesting ones.

I felt the same way about Dagger and Coin. Unfortunately, I suspect it was in response to the relatively lackluster reception for his Long Price books (which were really good) which seemed to get highly criticized for being not-medieval-european fantasy.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Unless Battua has some sort of unprecedentedly terrible contract, the only thing he would need to earn out is the advance. Marketing, cover art, and other publisher's expenses aren't counted.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

You need to keep in mind that, for a first novel, $10,000 is considered a decent advance. That may or may not have been for the whole series, too, and I do not know if that was the number, but advances for anyone that doesn't have 10+ years of best sellers behind them and/or a number of awards are still small.

Which certainly isn't chump change, but the General isn't doing this for the money.

By the same logic, though, the smaller the advance the sooner it's paid off and the sooner you start getting royalties? Correct me if I'm wrong, I self-pub and Battua talking about how he doesn't get royalties until the advance is paid off was the first I'd ever heard about how an advance works.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

By the same logic, though, the smaller the advance the sooner it's paid off and the sooner you start getting royalties? Correct me if I'm wrong, I self-pub and Battua talking about how he doesn't get royalties until the advance is paid off was the first I'd ever heard about how an advance works.

Ideally that's how it works. However, it's a sad fact that a lot (I hesitate to say "most" though I've seen that phrasing used before) of advances either don't pay out, or only just pay out; either way, the author never gets any royalties. At least in the latter case, they may get another book deal with that publisher, though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Ideally that's how it works. However, it's a sad fact that a lot (I hesitate to say "most" though I've seen that phrasing used before) of advances either don't pay out, or only just pay out; either way, the author never gets any royalties. At least in the latter case, they may get another book deal with that publisher, though.

70%.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Same, I gave it a shot once or twice but then I decided I probably needed to reread the first book as a refresher and I haven't gotten around to it. I am invested in what happens though and I pre-ordered book 3.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

That's a pretty bad article. A lot of his math just makes no sense. Also he's not actually the source for the 70%, it's some agent, and who knows how she gathered that data.

That being said traditional book publishing is far less glamorous and profitable than many people believe because like 90% of media attention is about people like John Grisham or J.K. Rowling, and not on the hundreds of "mid-list" authors who push out 1-2 books a year and barely earn out their advances.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

That's a pretty bad article. A lot of his math just makes no sense. Also he's not actually the source for the 70%, it's some agent, and who knows how she gathered that data.

That being said traditional book publishing is far less glamorous and profitable than many people believe because like 90% of media attention is about people like John Grisham or J.K. Rowling, and not on the hundreds of "mid-list" authors who push out 1-2 books a year and barely earn out their advances.

Jfc it isn’t D&D, I’m sorry I didn’t go into depth tracking down the exact source to use.

It’s from https://www.janefriedman.com/book-pl/, citing unnamed industry folks (given that she worked in publishing, I don’t see any reason to doubt that number.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's effectively no mid-list anymore as it is all but impossible to earn a living as a (traditionally published) writer. You either hit it big, in which case you aren't really mid-list, or you write when you aren't working your day job and earn some side money.

To be clear, folks still sell mid-list numbers, but advances and royalties have stagnated or been squeezed to the point where they can't live on that income alone.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Writer Twitter were all weeping into our glasses a month or two back when we realised the advance in Little Women is basically the same dollar amount she'd get in 2020

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
(Tor tend to be pretty generous, fwiw--I've heard of a couple of mid 6-figure joint advances in the last 5 years; publishing is finally recovering from 2007)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
According to David Drake he was also getting 10k back in 1980, which adjusts for 31k in today's dollars.
http://david-drake.com/2011/voyage-across-the-stars/

quote:

In 1980, I quit lawyering and was driving a bus for the Town of Chapel Hill. While sitting in the bus garage between runs, I wrote a letter to a friend in which I commented that the Odyssey could be rewritten as a Western, though of course I didn’t write Westerns. As the words came off my pen, it struck me that I did write SF; what was true for a horse opera would probably work for a space opera as well.

Nothing happened for a few months. Then Jim Baen called and offered me a two-book contract: a big book for $10K and a little book for $7,500. I said “Yes!” immediately. (I’ve done a lot of dumb things, but I was never dumb enough to turn that down. I made $6,100 during my year of bus driving).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Samuel R. Delany got a $1000 advance for his first novel in 1960, and the same for his long Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders in 2012.

That blog post looks reasonable to me vOv. It's all anecdotal anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Higher Education by Charles Sheffield is a lot like the book of his I previously read and posted about, The Billion Dollar Boy. It's short, good, satisfying, and I'm not sure if I'd want to read a full length novel in the world he's clearly building or not, simply because Sheffield is so good at writing a tight narrative with a good ending. Higher Education is clearly but not explicitly set in the same world as The Billion Dollar Boy, and as a professional educator, the first part of this book where the high school student and his teacher have a frank discussion about education versus the job market, how if you protect young people from failure it severely hurts their ability to grow, and a future where the only good schools are private company-run establishments for children of employees, is chillingly plausible. It's a pity that goons told me that Sheffield is dead, because both of his books so far that I've read, I've enjoyed a lot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

(Tor tend to be pretty generous, fwiw--I've heard of a couple of mid 6-figure joint advances in the last 5 years; publishing is finally recovering from 2007)

They do happen but everyone I know personally (bar one?) is still getting low five figures per book. 30k is a big advance for most of us. And unfortunately the sales of the Baru books mean my advances are getting smaller.

Tor is tightening up lately and focusing on publishing books that make money rather than “all our 500 editors do whatever they want.”

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Blood of Elves (Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00276HAEY

The Eon Series (Legacy, Eon, Eternity) by Greg Bear - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ3RT

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The newly translated Dyachenko book Daughter from the Dark is pretty good so far. Not as addictive as Vita Nostra but same great style and tone.

Still wish the other 3-4 books that The Scar was the second part of would be translated.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Lol but also let me fight that person over their wrong opinions WRT Excession.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"reliance on how people think and feel which isn't real at all"

Please explain, this makes no sense, also lol at claiming that about Cherryh but not Card

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Calling Xenocide an excellent anything immediately renders your opinions dubious.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's, uh

A good second book to read after Ender's Game, I guess? Skipping Speaker and going back to read it last makes it a bit easier to avoid falling for Card's lures as a kid.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's, uh

A good second book to read after Ender's Game, I guess? Skipping Speaker and going back to read it last makes it a bit easier to avoid falling for Card's lures as a kid.

It's an even better book to not read.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A memory called empire question: book seems to drag like hell in the middle when she is stuck in the apartment, does it pick up again?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

algebra testes posted:

A memory called empire question: book seems to drag like hell in the middle when she is stuck in the apartment, does it pick up again?

Things do eventually happen, but Mahit remains a really passive presence throughout the novel. Stuff happens to her, but she does very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Legend of Eli Monpress (first three novels compendium) by Rachel Aaron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/