Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

TX-21? Wendy or Jennie Lou. I’m guessing Wendy

please don't vote for wendy davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I knew nothing about Jennie Lou when i voted for her but I knew she wasn't Wendy Davis.

Probably gonna regret it if she turns out to eat babies or something.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sardonik posted:

The longer his campaign goes the more I think Biden is in fact not real at all, but a collective hallucination.

And if I had to guess, Beto recommended it to him as a cheap pander.

If that's true then getting Biden to awkwardly pose in a curiously packed after-dark whataburger wearing a Swole Beto shirt might be the coolest thing the guy has ever done. And he once stood on a table then said the f word.

https://twitter.com/thetrillbillies/status/1234807673138401280?s=20

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 3, 2020

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I'm in Houston and just spent 2 evenings reading through the responses from all the dem candidates. Want to give a shout out to Randy Roll running for 179th district judge for being the only person I've seen in these questionnaires to point out the bullshit pretenses to harass and discriminate against sex workers, would really love to see more of this from candidates. Please don't get milkshake ducked.

And a less positive shout out to the guy whose name I did not write down that said bail reform seemed like a bad idea that was a get out of jail free card and he'd feel responsible for letting criminals out on the streets. Truly what the gently caress are you doing, my man.

Now I need some help though. My sample ballot lists constable with like 4 candidates but I can't find answers anywhere on the LWV guide or 411. Anyone know the best choice? Also are there any people whose answers might have looked nice but who I should avoid voting for? For example, I might have voted for Kim Ogg based on her responses if I hadn't been around for Harvey to see her suggest a prison sentence for people scavenging after a natural disaster that was harsher than many get for actual loving murder, so I'm voting for Audia instead. There were a couple of people who seemed to have kind of shady backgrounds for the positions they wanted but it's hard for me to tell sometimes. I'm pretty confident in stuff like pres/senator/da/railroad commissioner picks but most of the judges were really hard for me to differentiate just from these questions so if anyone can dole out specific recs for the tiny races you could potentially impact 3-4 votes since my family just asks me who to vote for every time. Like I cannot pick who for the Supreme Court Chief Justice even after reading their responses.

I've seen the GLBT endorsements page but their selection for the positions I've already decided is so all over the place that I'm not sure what to trust.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 3, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Biden is just an old man tired of everything who wanted to quit politics, but he was summoned into existence when the Party needed a new heir apparent after their last heir apparent screwed up everything.

But since he still feels like quitting politics, he doesn't want to make waves or change anything, just hold things in stasis so that nobody will argue and everybody will be nice to each other in a way that politicians never have been and never will be.

Potentially the misplaced impossible dream of everybody just being nice to eachother could plausibly drive enough votes to win the general election, but it'll get nothing done in office and the democrats will continue to lack the philosophical muscle to gain any real ground, and without anything big being done, the world will still end up worse by 2024 than it was in 2000, and then after all the stress dies down, the republicans will just pick it all up again right where they left off and continue making things worse.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Biden is just an old man tired of everything who wanted to quit politics, but he was summoned into existence when the Party needed a new heir apparent after their last heir apparent screwed up everything.

But since he still feels like quitting politics, he doesn't want to make waves or change anything, just hold things in stasis so that nobody will argue and everybody will be nice to each other in a way that politicians never have been and never will be.

Potentially the misplaced impossible dream of everybody just being nice to eachother could plausibly drive enough votes to win the general election, but it'll get nothing done in office and the democrats will continue to lack the philosophical muscle to gain any real ground, and without anything big being done, the world will still end up worse by 2024 than it was in 2000, and then after all the stress dies down, the republicans will just pick it all up again right where they left off and continue making things worse.

I dont think it would end up worse in 2024 than now (cause, you know, Trump) but I agree that pretty much nothing would really get done other than 'resetting the brackets' of a normal, ho-hum presidency.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

He's literally running on "hey things were great in 2009"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1234661099921797126?s=19

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2024

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Biden reminds me of Bush Jr. meaning that the overton window has shifted so much that Bush Jr. is now a moderate democrat.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Voting in Victoria. Anybody I should steer clear of?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hihohe posted:

Voting in Victoria. Anybody I should steer clear of?

yeah, the locals!!!!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Panty Saluter posted:

yeah, the locals!!!!

:hmmyes:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1234886491995869186

Typical complaints of unbalanced lines and waits at polling places in Tarrant county, but I've never realized that the voting apparatus is shared between the parties but they get a choice on the actual voting machines. Is this unique to Texas? Why in the world do they have a choice in having their own voting machines?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sounds like a county thing, in Collin County both primaries used the same machines with different ballot slips.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shout out to the very wide and red man arguing with the poll workers because they ran out of english I Voted stickers where I went to vote

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
voted on election day. shout out travis county for having a wait time map for polling locations.

probably should have voted early but i was procrastinating who to vote for for local magistrate judge #282819-A

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

voted on election day. shout out travis county for having a wait time map for polling locations.

probably should have voted early but i was procrastinating who to vote for for local magistrate judge #282819-A

I voted early in Dallas and still had to wait 45 minutes. It was after work on Friday, but still the first time I've seen that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think i've voted on election day since 2010, why do y'all do this to yourselves

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i say swears online posted:

i don't think i've voted on election day since 2010, why do y'all do this to yourselves

I was in and out in 5 minutes today.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Because I am busy and forgetful ok

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

skipdogg posted:

I was in and out in 5 minutes today.

same, but I'm old and up early in bitty-rear end Waco, soooooo

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm just glad we have two weeks of early voting, isn't that more than a lot of states get?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I'm just glad we have two weeks of early voting, isn't that more than a lot of states get?

yeah it's pretty excellent

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm really surprised the Republicans haven't taken it away

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Another Californian voting to turn Texas bluer. :getin:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

i say swears online posted:

I waited two and a half hours to vote on election day in the 2016 primary, I ain't ever doing that again.

Early voted last week at the local library, walked right up to the old lady who signed me in and handed me my ballot, in and out in 5 minutes.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
There were a ton of polling places near me in Galveston county, probably like 2/10 machines were occupied at any one time when I went, but it was in the morning.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Turnout for the Dem primary looks like it was off the hook at least where I voted in the suburbs of Collin County. +1 Bernhard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Voted at 3 and there was a short line at my polling location. Line was longer when I left then when I arrived. Really encouraging to see so much turnout.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Literally no line when I early voted. Some briscoe cain guys avoided eye contact because I'm not 87.

Early voting rules

Sardonik posted:

A decent amount get none, which is hilarious.

Richard Anus
May 26, 2010

Soiled Meat
I live in Katy (sigh I know), but in Waller County and all the early voting locations were in Hempstead or Brookshire and I’m not driving all the way out there for early voting. Election Day voting is like 5 min from my house.

Small line when I went after work. The person signing everyone in told my wife there was a lot more Democrats this year than she has ever remembered for Waller Co. There was some asshat yelling at people going in to vote for some guy running for County Clerk (on the R ballot).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Guys. It is with a heavy heart that I must announce I just saw a vehicle in Austin with a Bloomberg bumper sticker.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Very short lines in north Houston. Your voting machines are weird and there were way too many judge decisions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

deadking posted:

Your voting machines are weird and there were way too many judge decisions.

Agree.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Tfw they run out of i voted stickers so they give you a future voter one instead

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Arrived at 6, line was the longest I've ever seen in any election let alone primaries but I think this is also the first year you can just vote at any location so I don't know if I should read much into that. It was pretty fast moving so I got to vote at the booth in around 20 minutes but by the time I got out the line was much longer and stretching all the way into the street. There was no Republican line which was more or less expected though there were usually around 3-4 people in the booths at a time. My mom texted me and said she had to wait an hour but she showed the guy behind her the list I sent her of who to vote for and why and he jotted it down while they were waiting so that's nice, I like to think every little bit counts in those smaller races no one votes in.

At least +2 for Bernie from me and my sister. Tried my best to convince my parents to vote for him, no idea if it was successful. I feel a little guilty for pushing Warren on them so hard when she announced she was running but I figured at the time that Bernie would have made his own announcement already if he was planning to run and wasn't sure he could overcome the damage he received in 2016 and reach the same level of momentum even if he did. Still not super convinced he will actually be much more than a band-aid while winning the senate and packing the courts is more important but I would like to have a president whose foreign policy is not imperialist garbage in my lifetime and he has a way higher chance of selecting a decent cabinet than the other candidates so he's got my vote. Also not having the grassroots activist movement get flushed down the drain because dems are so loving opposed to any leftward progress that they will bet everything on the least electable candidate (again) would be nice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1235013351027232768?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Voted today in Houston, overheard one of the election clerks say they hadn't seen so many people since the 2008 general. :getin:

Bonus awkward moment: Elisa Cardnell (running for TX-2) was there working the line herself and not 10 feet away was Sima's (adult) son campaigning on Sima's behalf.