Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Do y'all think most white Texans like or dislike our cultural amalgamation that come from Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America? It's one of my favorite things about Texas. People used to be proud of that connection, maybe it's still the same but social media sure amplifies the hateful voices.

I still overhear the occasional mildly racist quip from white people in San Antonio, but I get the impression that most white people like that heritage, by and large. Americans bitching about Mexico and the border seems to be much more of a thing in the states not actually on the border.

Dameius posted:

I'm betting Alamosexuals, and people who think like them, hate our diversity. Having grown up in Houston though, the diversity feels so natural that going to other states where it is very white feels weird as hell.

I don't know if Beck qualifies as an Alamosexual in terms of the aesthetic identity he's embraced, because these days he seems to be going for a 'Colonel Sanders if he were a doughy college professor' kind of look, but he certainly checks the 'moved from overwhelmingly white places to Texas in order to bitch about Texas not being white enough' box: Wikipedia states he was born and raised Washington state and also lived in Utah and Connecticut before deciding to grace the DFW area with his presence in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
A Hispanic family friend would say, "Texas came to us." Doesn't stop shitheads from acting up though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dameius posted:

I'm betting Alamosexuals, and people who think like them, hate our diversity. Having grown up in Houston though, the diversity feels so natural that going to other states where it is very white feels weird as hell.

I'm much the same way as a born and raised Austinite. I'm white as loving hell but poo poo feels weird as hell as soon as I walk into an area too white.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1235016664690962433
Of all the cities in Texas to say this about... Houston is probably the most diverse city in the state, if not the country.

Do y'all think most white Texans like or dislike our cultural amalgamation that come from Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America? It's one of my favorite things about Texas. People used to be proud of that connection, maybe it's still the same but social media sure amplifies the hateful voices.

I feel like a lot of Texans would maintain this sort of cognitive dissonance where they engage in cultural amalgamation but also refuse to acknowledge that's what they're doing and attempt to openly scoff at the principle of diversity. Republicans don't maintain hegemony by being honest about what they're doing and keeping supporters aware of the implications of their actions. That's how people keep being surprised about the inhumanity and illegality of the mass deportations when it happens to their neighbors, despite buying into the party line about "illegal" immigration.

And the people like Glenn Beck who move in and feel offended at how it's not the great white paradise they were told it was probably help more to keep the local party in lock step with the national party.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i'd say my parents and (conservative) extended family are at ease with mexican culture. they're of german-texan descent if that matters. probably not much, although there might be some differences compared to east texas / dixie stuff. also, my extended family has become part-mexican because of marriages so family reunions are not as blindingly white as they were when i was a kid.

an older white couple who moved here from vermont live across the street from my parents, and my parents won't talk to them because the vermonters have extreme racist views. from what i've heard the couple's views can basically be boiled down to nazi ideology but they wouldn't think of themselves as such

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 5, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just like 15 years ago the state GOP was, compared to today, extremely fine on immigration. GWB and his strategists were pretty forward thinking in regards to demo shifts, and as it was put in the 2012 Romney autopsy “Latino voters aren’t going to hear a word coming out of your mouth if they think you want to deport their grandma”. Governor Bush etal, and even Perry for a time, recognized that the Latino vote in Texas isn’t monolithic and there is a significant percentage, mostly older, who like the standard GOP pitch of jobs, God and family values. Ultimately the party couldn’t overcome its racism and after Trump they SHOULD never see a significant amount of Latino support going forward.

All that to say, even Republicans are worse on certain issues important to Latino voters than they were 20 years ago.

https://twitter.com/roycewesttx/status/1235346286406139906?s=21

Good statement. With no full progressive in it anymore, I think West is the obvious choice over Hegar.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 5, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Just like 15 years ago the state GOP was, compared to today, extremely fine on immigration. GWB and his strategists were pretty forward thinking in regards to demo shifts, and as it was put in the 2012 Romney autopsy “Latino voters aren’t going to hear a word coming out of your mouth if they think you want to deport their grandma”. Governor Bush etal, and even Perry for a time, recognized that the Latino vote in Texas isn’t monolithic and there is a significant percentage, mostly older, who like the standard GOP pitch of jobs, God and family values. Ultimately the party couldn’t overcome its racism and after Trump they SHOULD never see a significant amount of Latino support going forward.

All that to say, even Republicans are worse on certain issues important to Latino voters than they were 20 years ago.

Good statement. With no full progressive in it anymore, I think West is the obvious choice over Hegar.

George Bush won the Latino vote in both of his gubernatorial races.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abbott split it with Wendy 😬

Maybe it’s different in others states but I think that national Ds keep stepping on the blue Texas rake because they look at the demo numbers and assume most Latinos here are reliable Dem voters and that is just not the case.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1235016664690962433
Of all the cities in Texas to say this about... Houston is probably the most diverse city in the state, if not the country.

What makes this also weird is that people in the Valley are saying it's diversifying like Austin/San Antonio and are also having an aversion to Mexican culture, even though its like 10 miles from here. I have seen more flagrant displays of wealth here than many other parts of Texas (seriously, where the gently caress find all of these Teslas come from?) and some of the public schools are fairly equal in terms of demographics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Abbott split it with Wendy 😬

Maybe it’s different in others states but I think that national Ds keep stepping on the blue Texas rake because they look at the demo numbers and assume most Latinos here are reliable Dem voters and that is just not the case.

I think some national externalities may have shifted that number a bit in the Ds favor recently.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

zoux posted:

Didn't Trump actually get more hispanic votes than Romney?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Coronavirus is here. New case in Sugarland

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Happy to be working from home but my kids are totally bringing it home from daycare.. I'm hosed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

with that body?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sab0921 posted:

Where are you seeing it's in Sugar Land? I'm seeing a presumptive confirmed case in Fort Bend county but nothing specific beyond that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just being snarky for no reason sorry!

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1235572398629380096

Dutton man, I dunno

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2020

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Does anyone know how Dallas County managed to get polling locations open to all precincts county-wide? My experience in Denton County having to turn away people at 8:30 PM because they're in the wrong precinct kind of broke my brain. Some of them were just returning to where they voted previously, and some of them were sent to my location by either the Secretary of State website or the county website. :negative:

I've been an election judge since 2017 and this was the craziest election day I've ever had, looking forward to getting fisted in November!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

50 counties in Texas allow you to do it, here's an article from last year about it. If you're asking "how do we get this implemented in Denton County" I assume the answer is "through the County Commissioner's Court"

Also what was so crazy about and also also I didn't know you were 100 years old.

It's absolutely nuts that we don't way overspend on polling locations and elections infrastructure, it is far preferable imo to have dozens of locations see only a handful of voters rather than a single location see lines wrapping around the block. (I mean I know why, it's just frustrating)

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 5, 2020

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
i think i'm the only election judge in the county under 40 years old

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the person that handed me my ballot on Tuesday was the Cryptkeeper

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
There was also a significant uptick of student volunteers to be clerks (they're typically the ones checking you in and handing you the ballot, I'm usually at my table filling out provisional ballots and resolving other issues and handling paperwork), my polling place got one. If you're 16 and older, you can get permission from the school to be absent for the day. That kid was great.

Edit: also the answer to my question pretty much seems to be "get democrats elected into county positions"

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 5, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

There was also a significant uptick of student volunteers to be clerks (they're typically the ones checking you in and handing you the ballot, I'm usually at my table filling out provisional ballots and resolving other issues and handling paperwork), my polling place got one. If you're 16 and older, you can get permission from the school to be absent for the day. That kid was great.

Edit: also the answer to my question pretty much seems to be "get democrats elected into county positions"

Not necessarily, Lubbock was the first county to do it, and there aren't 50 Dem controlled counties in the state, I don't think. I can guarantee the state legislature will be looking at it next session, after what happened in Harris Co. on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1235614059552272388

If you're MJ Hegar, you can't be happy about that lead in a crowded field.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
The runoff is going to be a turnout game because only 420 people total actually vote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In that case I'd bet on West because he's got the entire Metroplex Democratic political machine and his years of experience behind him and MJ Hegar had a commercial or something? I'm not in TX-31 so I didn't pay that close attention but were people backing her for reasons other than "she's not a Republican and boy howdy are we mad at Republicans right now".

But, as ever, who knows.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i don't think williamson county is a good enough base in a dem primary

there's a good chance she loses travis or it's close to 50/50

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

zoux posted:

In that case I'd bet on West because he's got the entire Metroplex Democratic political machine and his years of experience behind him and MJ Hegar had a commercial or something? I'm not in TX-31 so I didn't pay that close attention but were people backing her for reasons other than "she's not a Republican and boy howdy are we mad at Republicans right now".

But, as ever, who knows.

Is the entire political machine and the years of experience going to get him elected? Serious question: if I'm going to be the 421st vote in the runoff, I want my vote to go for the candidate more likely to beat Cornyn.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
depends on how grrrrllll power actually got wendy davis the governorship

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zonohedron posted:

Is the entire political machine and the years of experience going to get him elected? Serious question: if I'm going to be the 421st vote in the runoff, I want my vote to go for the candidate more likely to beat Cornyn.

mj's campaign is boring and identitarian. i can't name any of her policies offhand. she's gonna try to out-hawk cornyn in the debates and it's gonna get stupid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Well that candidate decided to run for president instead so sorry. Also everyone needs to stop voting based on guessing who is electable because we don't know. Listen to their platforms, look at their records, and vote for the candidate that most appeals to you

Also sorry to Harold Dutton for thinking he was being a sore winner
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1235641025462276096

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

i say swears online posted:

mj's campaign is boring and identitarian. i can't name any of her policies offhand. she's gonna try to out-hawk cornyn in the debates and it's gonna get stupid

A helicopter in every driveway

Better armor plating for said helicopters

Troop

Affordable access to healthcare solutions planning

e:

zoux posted:

Well that candidate decided to run for president instead so sorry. Also everyone needs to stop voting based on guessing who is electable because we don't know. Listen to their platforms, look at their records, and vote for the candidate that most appeals to you

Yeah, freaking out about the incredibly vague idea of electability is how we ended up with fuckers like Kerry or Biden lmao

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 5, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or Hillary. Trump proved that there aren't rules to this sort of thing. Trust me, I was the biggest tactical voting cheerleader around in '16 and all those rules I thought were real led us to Trump. And if they led us to him, of what use were the rules? I was scared as hell of a Trump presidency because of family health issues and I was convinced that repealing the ACA would be a certainty and so I voted out of fear rather than voted for the candidate that I aligned with most closely. You just can't vote out of fear, of the other candidate or your neighbor not going for your candidate or whatever; all you can do is vote for the person you think would represent you and your interests, and those of people you care about, the best. If you want that person to be more "electable" you have to volunteer, but even that will be a marginal effect.

So obviusly I was all in for Mike Bloomberg on Tuesday

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I don't know anything about either candidate, is the thing. At least with presidential candidates they want you to know all about them, in obnoxious detail, and indeed for president I voted for the candidate I actually wanted to win. (She has now dropped out.) For senator I voted for the candidate this thread seemed to recommend, but she didn't make the runoff, so I was asking for the thread's advice again. :negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, personally, I think that a dude who's been fairly skilled in navigating a Republican controlled legislature to find himself in leadership positions and able to make important, improving changes to legislation at the state level will be more effective as the junior Senator from Texas than a person who has never held office in her life but I also don't think Democrat Marcus Tullius Cicero himself could do much under McConnell's reign. As to who has a better chance in the general, can't say.

And yes I know that Cicero was literally a republican

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

got a nice Mike 2020 mailer yesterday, wonder how many more are queued up

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

got a nice Mike 2020 mailer yesterday, wonder how many more are queued up

I got two - one specifically targeted to immigrants and then the generic one all my white neighbors got 😐

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1235659824542646273

Man so much changed in like a week. I don't see how this could have anything to do with the lightning fast moderate consolidation around Biden following SC, since Cisneros is literally going after that faction, but it does show the futility of trying to wargame what's going to happen in November.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It tells me that no matter what happens, Laredo will be represented by a Republican.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is the value of journalism like this

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well I expect better from the Houston Chronicle.

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1235679291645423618

The LBB is a more juiced up version of the federal OMB, and it's supposed to be totally non-partisan. These guys basically present both chambers a proposed budget within the constitutional limits and then the actual legislators move stuff around. This is inside baseball but actually huge news, the LBB has been run by like 3 or 4 assistant directors since the last director left like two years ago. There were rumors in the press that Patrick was holding up the appointment of a new director because he wanted the LBB to be more, ah, favorable to conservative fiscal politics and a lot of people were concerned about it, not the least of whom the actual employees of the LBB who are just actuaries who have no interest into wading into partisan politics. I have no idea if this guy is going to put his finger on the scale for the GOP but I guess we'll find out.