Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So yesterday, pirateaba wrote 16k words in 4 hours and today wrote 15k in 5 hours.

And she posted that her arms feel completely fine and no where near as painful as they used to thanks to pt exercises.

Lmao we're totally gonna get 40k word chapters in the near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Quality is waaaay down though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Affi posted:

Quality is waaaay down though.

disagree, IMO.

vol 7 has been a great uptick in consistency compared to vol 6

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I like volume 7 a lot compared to volumes 5 and 6, though it's also a lot less depressing which certainly helps.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah I like volume 7 a lot compared to volumes 5 and 6, though it's also a lot less depressing which certainly helps.

For now...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

A big flaming stink posted:

disagree, IMO.

vol 7 has been a great uptick in consistency compared to vol 6

It’s mainly these interludes and Flos that I feel lack direction. But the latest patreon one was actually way better.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI: Ant rights right now! But this is a very big bomb going off. In front of plenty of people.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0W1v0kOELA

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

Katalepsis:

I love you Praem, so glad you're back.

:same:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's weird. I love the Wandering Inn, Katalepsis is my favourite story to read, but the story that makes me happiest when I see a new post from it in my RSS app is The Daily Grind.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
goddamn bird :stare:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Oo Koo posted:

It's fanfic, but I've been enjoying But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci recently.

I'll just quote the author's synopsis.

"Jack Napier, a.k.a. the Joker. After years of madness, he's finally sane. But there's something wrong. Something's not right. According to his psychiatrist, there's no Bat. Nobody in Gotham City has heard of a superhero named Batman. The Justice League doesn't have a guy who dresses like a bat.

And that's wrong. That can't be. Because if there's one thing that Jack knows, it's that there can't be a Joker without a Batman."

This is from a while back but thanks for the recommendation.

I don't really know much about DC stuff so it's fun following the links to all the random little references.

Without those links I wouldn't know which characters are original and which are replacements.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like pirateaba has figured out her one true skill is writing awesome denouments so she tries to chain them together as much as possible. This shouldn't work, but it somehow does.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I am also enjoying Erin slowly realizing how all of her 'harmless' Earth knowledge is actually changing things, and her getting increasingly nervous about it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh no oh god what if I accidentally tell them about guns! *revolutionises military training across the entire world by introducing weightlifting*

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think weightlifting is good and guns would be good too actually. Each nation getting guns would mean the balance of power stays roughly the same between countries, but monster attacks would become much less powerful, as monsters generally have little to no society and thus wouldn't benefit. Adult crelers and wyvern attacks would probably be much less of threat with some heavy machine guns and tanks around.

Not giving nations guns means you don't have to feel bad as people use them to wage war on each other, sure, but it also means that when a huge wave of monsters comes around, you didn't help them stop it either.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Magnolia covers it earlier in the story why guns would be bad, her reasoning breaks down to that it would not be equal between all races. Drakes with guns vs Gnolls with guns wouldn't change a lot, but you give guns to the Antium or Goblins? That's a big deal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also the way guns affect war is that the overall balance of power won't be changed much once everyone catches on, sure, but battles become WAY more lethal since larger quantities of troops require much less training to be thrown into the meat grinder.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The balance of power may not change in the long-term, but it definitely does in the short term. The human lord shows the power of trebuchets and only fails due to a combination of being too clever and the emperor going home.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been enjoying Ward lately. The current conflict is interesting to read, and I like all the character stuff going on. I feel really bad for Byron. Life has really been making GBS threads on that poor guy for a while now. First he suffers some sort of traumatic brain injury (I think?), and then his brother dies.

The reappearance of Grue/Brian has also been interesting. One thing I liked is how Cozen was specifically mentioned as having a bigger impact on Brian compared with Taylor. I was expecting his reappearance to be an excuse to talk about Taylor, but it makes perfect sense for Cozen to take up a bigger part of his thoughts. After all, he was with her far longer than he was Taylor - we just never heard about it since we were in Taylor's PoV. Brian also seems to have "suffered" quite a bit from the conversion to a Valkyrie flock member. It seems like it's worse for people who had very distinct cape identities. Kid Win seems to have gotten by better than most due to there not being a big difference between his behavior in and out of costume, but Clockblocker apparently was also pretty distorted due to exaggerating his "wisecracking" attributes since those were more closely tied to his activities/behavior as a cape. I think the idea of having people resurrected as just the "cape" parts of their personality is pretty interesting. It's a good way to bring them back without cheapening their deaths.

My enjoyment of the series definitely hinges on the characters at this point. The events/conflicts are fun to read but kind of flow strangely from one to the next, but I feel like the major characters (and even many minor ones) are all very well "realized" and that keeps me invested.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cinara posted:

Magnolia covers it earlier in the story why guns would be bad, her reasoning breaks down to that it would not be equal between all races. Drakes with guns vs Gnolls with guns wouldn't change a lot, but you give guns to the Antium or Goblins? That's a big deal.
Now imagine vast underground caverns filled with millions of lifting antinium.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I have no idea what's going on in Practical Guide right now, but it looks like it's going to be extremely fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jade Mage posted:

I have no idea what's going on in Practical Guide right now, but it looks like it's going to be extremely fun.

It's fun meeting these other Named folks.

One reveal that confused me a bit is the existence of Autumn/Spring fae people. Was this ever mentioned before? I was under the impression the only fae were Winter/Summer.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One reveal that confused me a bit is the existence of Autumn/Spring fae people. Was this ever mentioned before? I was under the impression the only fae were Winter/Summer.

As far as I can tell, this is one of those things that came up in the time skip that we haven't gotten full details on.

Presumably it's related to the "Quartered Seasons" project.
Some speculation: Masego mentioned something about proving the existence of Spring in his interlude, which implies they already know of the existence of Autumn. It's possible this knowledge is related to the Twilight Ways somehow.

I'm guessing the Autumn and Spring courts have always existed and were just extremely secretive, or they came into existence as a result of Summer and Winter disappearing, or the creating of the Twilight Ways.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

From what I remember the fae lore was that there were always two courts in existence each cycle but they weren't always the same, the worst combination is always summer/winter because they're so opposed. I definitely remember prior mention of the other courts

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

It's fun meeting these other Named folks.

This was forshadowed in the earlier chapters I think mostly in the bits around the marriage of the summer queen, but I'm not sure. Cat speculates about the creation of autumn/spring courts a few times.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ytlaya posted:

I've been enjoying Ward lately. The current conflict is interesting to read, and I like all the character stuff going on. I feel really bad for Byron. Life has really been making GBS threads on that poor guy for a while now. First he suffers some sort of traumatic brain injury (I think?), and then his brother dies.

The reappearance of Grue/Brian has also been interesting. One thing I liked is how Cozen was specifically mentioned as having a bigger impact on Brian compared with Taylor. I was expecting his reappearance to be an excuse to talk about Taylor, but it makes perfect sense for Cozen to take up a bigger part of his thoughts. After all, he was with her far longer than he was Taylor - we just never heard about it since we were in Taylor's PoV. Brian also seems to have "suffered" quite a bit from the conversion to a Valkyrie flock member. It seems like it's worse for people who had very distinct cape identities. Kid Win seems to have gotten by better than most due to there not being a big difference between his behavior in and out of costume, but Clockblocker apparently was also pretty distorted due to exaggerating his "wisecracking" attributes since those were more closely tied to his activities/behavior as a cape. I think the idea of having people resurrected as just the "cape" parts of their personality is pretty interesting. It's a good way to bring them back without cheapening their deaths.

My enjoyment of the series definitely hinges on the characters at this point. The events/conflicts are fun to read but kind of flow strangely from one to the next, but I feel like the major characters (and even many minor ones) are all very well "realized" and that keeps me invested.
Agreed with all of this. I feel like it's really interesting to get a perspective of someone from Brockton Bay where Taylor should have been a huge influence but ultimately isn't. You can't even really blame that on the conversion because Taylor and Brian primarily interacted through cape stuff, whereas he had much more of a domestic life with Cozen. It draws more emphasis to how fixated Taylor was on the Undersiders and how she didn't built a new social life in the two year time skip, but Brian did even with his debilitating PTSD and emotional constipation. That's always been one of the more jarring aspects of Taylor as a character to me, and it's nice to have it jar in-universe, too.

I was also weirdly satisfied with Tristan's death. Not that I wanted him to die, but we knew 2 members of Breakthrough would die and if we're lucky it's just those 2 now that things with Contessa have gone properly off the rails. The description of how the cracks followed him was a fascinating visual, and him dying to protect Byron is a nice conclusion to his character arc.

Basically I'm enjoying the point we're at now where pieces have slotted into place, we can see how all the little tangents the plot took earlier are relevant, and things are getting satisfying emotional conclusions, even if they're not necessarily happy emotional conclusions. I still don't like the big action scenes a lot but they've at least been interesting action scenes, since the issues this time around are so much more... cerebral. I really appreciate the fact that the Simurgh is only really an issue because of stuff Cauldron did, since Eidelon unintentionally created the Endbringers by pulling them from pre-made templates Eden had worked on. The final struggle being two apocalyptic options presented by Contessa and Simurgh seems to be a deliberate theme of, hey, Cauldron might argue what they did was necessary to save the world, but they also damaged the world severely and might ultimately end up destroying all the Earths. It seems like the conclusion will be some third option that hopefully lets people actually move forward.

It also feels a lot less hopeless if you realize that most iterations of Earth are probably fine-ish right now, which kind of makes me laugh. I mean slightly less fine if Kronos is moving around, but there's a sense of the damage being localized in a way that could spiral out of control soon but means things aren't completely hopeless now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been rereading some PracGuide (I've never gone back and reread any until now) and one thing that stood out to me is that Masego was a lot different earlier, and in some kinda weird ways. If anything, he seems less socially awkward near the beginning and frequently says kinda sarcastic stuff that implies more knowledge about socializing than he shows later. The part where he took the third aspect out of Cat also seems like the moment where he sorta "attached" himself to her (and her group) on a deeper level. Before that he just acts kinda like a smart-rear end who is along for the ride.

Also, I've kinda gotten the impression that the whole gnomes thing might have just been some idea the author had and then decided to just ignore later. It seems like the Arsenal should be a concern as far as that is concerned.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the Arsenal should be a concern as far as that is concerned.
Not tech/machine tools/mechanical automation/stuff that creates "capital", and it's dependent on the labor of individuals.

So it's perfectly fine.

Stuff like the goblin siege machines are closer to what is a no go, and iirc it was mentioned that they did get an envelope about further development of those.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The gnomes thing is basically just an in-story justification for it being swords&sorcery fantasy. I never really expected them to be an actual plot element.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xemloth posted:

From what I remember the fae lore was that there were always two courts in existence each cycle but they weren't always the same, the worst combination is always summer/winter because they're so opposed. I definitely remember prior mention of the other courts

yeah when one side wins this [timeframe's] Winter-Summer fight it shifts to Spring and Autumn, which is less of a catastrofuck

it came up a bunch, just wasn't that relevant to the story until winter and summer stopped existing as fae courts

it's also mentioned when Sve Noc is pondering going after the United Court of Arcadia and Cat goes "yo even if you eat Twilight and have Winter, you're still tied with the king and queen because they're probably spring and autumn powered now"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm running out of main reading material and am starting to have to go out into the weeds. I've read most of the big stuff like Wildbows works except Ward past a certain point, TWI, The Daily Grind, HWFWM, Practical Guide, Katalepsis, Worth the Candle, Threadbare (and the rest of that series), To Play With Magic, and no doubt others I'm forgetting off the cuff. Does anyone have any obscure things I can burn through in my desperate desire to have something to do? I recently read Devourer of Worlds which is a weird premise done really well, but I don't wanna have to sift through that website to hope to find something I can read without being invested in the whole 'quest' experience

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Mother of learning and zombie knight are good and okay respectively

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

I'm running out of main reading material and am starting to have to go out into the weeds. I've read most of the big stuff like Wildbows works except Ward past a certain point, TWI, The Daily Grind, HWFWM, Practical Guide, Katalepsis, Worth the Candle, Threadbare (and the rest of that series), To Play With Magic, and no doubt others I'm forgetting off the cuff. Does anyone have any obscure things I can burn through in my desperate desire to have something to do? I recently read Devourer of Worlds which is a weird premise done really well, but I don't wanna have to sift through that website to hope to find something I can read without being invested in the whole 'quest' experience

Cultivation Chat Group is probably the best out of Chinese webnovels. Give it a go.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Last Angel, Re: Trailer Trash, Into the Mire, Unsong if you like puns and don't mind the author being a rationalist idiot with a nazi fan base (maybe not Unsong), The Gods are Bastards, All the Little Lost Boys & Girls, qntm's scp antimemetics stuff.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Delve is alright, though it's heavy on the number crunching/min-maxing.

Forge of Destiny is legit very good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Delve is a bit like if Jason's power was aoe crystal wash.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh yeah Last Angel is probably my fave and it’s got two complete books out already and gearing up for the endgame.

Join us

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Last Angel, Re: Trailer Trash, Into the Mire, Unsong if you like puns and don't mind the author being a rationalist idiot with a nazi fan base (maybe not Unsong), The Gods are Bastards, All the Little Lost Boys & Girls, qntm's scp antimemetics stuff.

I quit Trailer Trash because it seemed like there was no real story there. Does anything ever really happen other than the “goes back in time and totally have friends and own the people who were mean to me in high school” fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
No, but honestly if you're reading it, that is to one extent or another probably what you're there for; either they own people who hosed them over or they just unfuck something they hosed up. The only thing I've ever read that did something wholly other than that was The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (a book, not a serial, and probably the only legit well written book of its kind). And having consumed a lot of this genre... well, you could seriously be doing a lot worse, I've read much more unbearable ones that I had to give up on.

Edit: as long as we're on the topic, does anyone have more in that genre that I may not have seen?