Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If I said to you I'd just read a book involving:

- a post-apocalyptic world which centuries later has developed into a new generic-fantasy-level-of-tech society
- A centuries-old cybernetic super-soldier from the past era
- Ancient orbital weapons being reawakened

What would you think it's ripping off? I just read a fairly obscure book which strongly reminded me of something else, but maybe these are fairly common tropes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Those are pretty common. I can't think of anything that has all 3 though.

What was the book? If it was good, sounds like a fun read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the first two make me think of Viriconium but I don't remember orbital weapons.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 8, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

freebooter posted:

- a post-apocalyptic world which centuries later has developed into a new generic-fantasy-level-of-tech society

What would you think it's ripping off? I just read a fairly obscure book which strongly reminded me of something else, but maybe these are fairly common tropes?

Asher?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I read Merchanter's Luck as my introduction to Cherryh and I've got 40000 in Gehenna to read as well because it's apart of the same two-parter. What people say about Cherryh's world building ability is spot-on - I really enjoyed the first half of the book getting to know everyone and everything, but thought the end of the book was a bit rushed and sometimes a little confused as to what was happening.

Good book though; definitely scratched a sci-fi itch after an unintentionally heavy fantasy book start to 2020.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Thank you to the thread for introducing me a while back to the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. I started in late-January and just got through the 9th book as of Friday.

The finale of the 9th book did leave me with a slight concern in Skippy despite being unable to travel himself, appears to disappear into higher energy space. He managed to give Bishop a full explanation of exactly what he found before deciding that he had to contact the Maxults or Rindalu. There’s simply nothing from the previous 8 books which would suggest how he can achieve it without the Valkyrie or Dutchman.

Mouro
Mar 4, 2013

freebooter posted:

At first sight I'd say that it reminds me of David Weber's Dahak series, specifically its third book. Or his Safehold series, which is basically a rehash of the same idea, but extended into ¿9? books so far, each increasingly boring.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

#1 is pretty common. #2 and #3 are less common but not exactly super rare. I can't, offhand, think of anything that has all three in combination, except perhaps Weber's Safehold, but those are pretty bad. What did you read? It sounds interesting.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

freebooter posted:

I can't think of any books offhand, but that sounds pretty close to the plot of a bunch of video games and animes. That pretty much describes Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exactly for instsnce.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

freebooter posted:

sounds like the steerswoman series except for 2

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cherryh's Morgaine series, perhaps?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

freebooter posted:

Dragonriders of Pern? Though I guess that might not cover #3.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

freebooter posted:

Wait a second....Escape from L.A. got novelized?

Offhand and taken a little bit more seriously, I'm thinking Michael Moorcock's Corum Jhaelen Irsei stories plus Sean McMullen's Greatwinter series as "inspirations" for that un-named book you are referencing.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 8, 2020

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

freebooter posted:

The Mortal Engines Quartet?
Except for the first point, its more steam punk, and moving cities are not too generic fantasy.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

freebooter posted:

That sounds like Minla's Flowers by Alastair Reynolds.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Doctor Jeep posted:

sounds like the steerswoman series except for 2

Also without #2 it also sounds like Sean McMullen's Greatwinter trilogy. Which is pretty good fun.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Someone mentioned Eifleheim here and I decided to check it out. I really liked it, aside from the end feeling a little anticlimactic to me.

I wish they had gone more into the whole multiple dimension space travel stuff. I suppose it would be way more than the scope of the book, but I really wanted to see more of that happening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://thefantasyinn.com/2018/10/11/intro-to-female-authored-speculative-fiction/

I have quibbles with some of the choices but I keep seeing authors and going "hmm yes" so this checks out

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thefantasyinn.com/2018/10/11/intro-to-female-authored-speculative-fiction/

I have quibbles with some of the choices but I keep seeing authors and going "hmm yes" so this checks out

Looking at the list real quick just reminded me of Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave. That was one of my first fantasy novels after LOTR. I haven't thought of that book in 20 years. I seem to remember it kinda lost me when Merlin got older.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Wow, thanks for posting. I pretty much like all the authors I recognize on that, which seems like a good sign. I'll have to start working through some of these.

I like that node to 'All Systems Red' is just 'Murderbot!'.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I agree about that. I am sort of glad the final book acknowledged in universe what a stupid name Lord Lorcan Lochan is. Some fantasy stories would just ignore that and act like that's normal.

I hadn't thought about that, but a prequel about Manon would be quite rad. I guess Manon would be a bit of an unthinking killing machine in the past, but there could be some glimpses of more there. Especially, if Asterin influences her.

Yeah, I think focusing on the relationship between Manon and Asterin, or some earlier history between the different factions of witches would be great, as long as it didn't go too one-note dark. And yeah, agreed re: acknowledging the name, it's very much a DnD random name generator result.

I think my favorite discordant names are in the Empire Trilogy, where everyone in Kelewan have fantasy names , and then the outworld barbarians are all called like 'Kevin' and 'Jimmy'. I think it works just fine in context, but it was definitely a weird contrast.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have one complaint there it's that the SF section is really underdeveloped (and if I have two it's that I don't think Foreigner is the best choice for Cherryh) but since it's from "the fantasy inn" I guess that's not too surprising. That said, the authors there I recognize I've generally enjoyed, and even the ones I don't (like Robin Hobb) I can see why people might disagree.

Also, Rachel Aaron wrote a LitRPG? That's a genre I have exactly zero interest in (and very little interest in its sister genre, "you're in a computer game, Max", although I did enjoy Mogworld), but I've enjoyed here other stuff enough that I may need to at least see if the library has it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was about to trash the list on account of it not having Diana Wynne-Jones but thankfully she's hiding on the bottom line. So most of what I've read out of that selection is pretty good, yeah. Glad to see some of the more underrated authors like Swainston, Bishop, Samatar and de Bodard.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ianmacdo posted:

The Mortal Engines Quartet?
Except for the first point, its more steam punk, and moving cities are not too generic fantasy.

This was what it reminded me of, except all the other responses make me think, yeah, this is all pretty common stuff.

The book in question is Lotus Blue by Cat Sparks, and it was... fine? Too many characters, needed a firmer editor, felt kind of amateurish. I would say an author to watch out for except it's her debut and I think she's already at least in her 50s.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

freebooter posted:

This was what it reminded me of, except all the other responses make me think, yeah, this is all pretty common stuff.

The book in question is Lotus Blue by Cat Sparks, and it was... fine? Too many characters, needed a firmer editor, felt kind of amateurish. I would say an author to watch out for except it's her debut and I think she's already at least in her 50s.

I think the median age for a first traditional publication is 35, according to a Charles Strauss blog (iirc not firm on that).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sci-Fi History lesson # 035: .....Rudyard Kipling considered as a Science Fiction writer
aka The Reader Wants a Story, Not a Lesson [Sarcasm]...not applicable for Kim Stanley Robinson fans[/Sarcasm]

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/rg_scifi.htm

quote:

Kipling faced the same technical problem that the modern science fiction writer faces: the need to make an alien time and place understandable to his audience. Whether the scene be India under the British Raj or Mars under the Solar Federation, the reader needs to know the essential differences in biology, technology, and sociology that govern the characters and their actions. This information needs to be provided without interfering with the narrative. The reader wants a story, not a lesson.

John W Campbell, the magisterial editor who shaped the Golden Age of science fiction, considered Rudyard Kipling the first modern science fiction writer. Kipling, he explained, was the first to go beyond simply providing the reader with the essential background information needed to read his story. He was thinking here of "With the Night Mail". When this pseudo-journalistic account of transatlantic dirigible traffic first appeared in 1905, the text was accompanied by weather advisories, classified advertisements, shipping notices, and a wide range of other snippets intended to suggest that the tale was in fact appearing in a magazine published in 2000. All this stage business was extraneous to the story, strictly speaking; but it did help to establish the setting.

Link added to OP of thread.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

This is a ton of stuff.

Hell, it's arguably The Broken Earth, depending on your definition of cybernetic.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here's the question: who writes the best Tolkien-esque fantasy? Please do not say Robert Jordan, he doesn't. Zelazny and Gene Wolfe also do not count. Is there anyone, or do I need to go back pre-Tolkien and read Eddison again?

Earthsea is legitimately good but doesn't for me have the same beats as Tolkien. Read it. I read it at about the same time as the dying earth books by Jack Vance so my brain files them together more than lotr.

The 70s/80s threw up a lot of lotr clones with one of the most obvious being Terry Brooks' Shannara books. They aren't as good obv.

Semi comedy option: Dragonlance Chronicles by Weiss and Hickman TSR spin-offs. Lord Soth is a nazgul with a back story.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I dread rereading Dragonlance because it was so formative for me as a child I bet it aged terribly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Edit: nevermind, mentally mistook that for a different series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Man I dread rereading Dragonlance because it was so formative for me as a child I bet it aged terribly.

As someone who also read them in middle-school and loves them a lot: YEP they aged so poorly. They read very much like transcripts of the writer's D&D session with very little nuance. I had to can at least one reread attempt because I realized early on: I treasure my memories of what happened more than I do finding out what actually happened.

Also the paladin in that series was the best paladin, he was a good dude who did his best.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

freebooter posted:

This sounds like Safehold to me, which was a cool idea done poorly - what book did you read? I'm really curious to know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

freebooter posted:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

The person who created this and lumped Foz Meadows (who's out as genderqueer) into their "female" list can gently caress right off and die, actually.
I am very tired of watching non-binary authors get co-opted by "look at all these ~*~women writers~*~" assholes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The_White_Crane posted:

The person who created this and lumped Foz Meadows (who's out as genderqueer) into their "female" list can gently caress right off and die, actually.
I am very tired of watching non-binary authors get co-opted by "look at all these ~*~women writers~*~" assholes.
I feel like I saw someone else complaining about this on twitter the other day. I've also seen idiots citing trans men as ~*~women writers~*~ which is either hopefully just immense stupidity, or terf bullshit.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who also read them in middle-school and loves them a lot: YEP they aged so poorly. They read very much like transcripts of the writer's D&D session with very little nuance.

They pretty much were, weren't they? IIRC, all of the characters were taken straight from Tracy and Laura Hickman's D&D campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Put in a hold at my library for The Fifth Season from that picture.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

StonecutterJoe posted:

They pretty much were, weren't they? IIRC, all of the characters were taken straight from Tracy and Laura Hickman's D&D campaign.

Basically, yes. The characters were hashed out in the planning and playtesting campaigns that ran as part of the development of the game and novel lines.

The first novel is essentially a "let's play" of the first two modules in the series. Then when that novel didn't cover the four adventures it was supposed to cover, they realized they couldn't just continue on like that, which is why the second two modules get summarized with a poem and short prologue to the second novel. From that point on, the second and third novels more loosely follow the adventure modules. The adventure modules also get less linear as the series progresses, so the novels only cover one of the possible paths players can take.

While the series as a whole doesn't age well, Dragons of Winter's Night is an exception. There's a huge jump in the quality of prose from the first novel (though it's still pretty par for the licensed D&D fiction course). More significantly, they realize their cast is too big, and so they begin focusing on just a handful of central characters with some very good results. The climax is legit tragic because the characters it's focused on are interesting and fairly well fleshed out.

The third book then ignores a lot of that well developed characterization to force everyone into place for its finale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

This is a bit confusing as Foz Meadows still uses she/her pronouns...? Right. I'm not an authority, I suck at gender. Meadows probably shouldn't be on that list, but it's still worthwhile to look at, as it has a lot of good authors on it and I don't want us to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also the purpose of lists like that are generally to encourage people read fewer white men and bring attention to minority writers, so telling someone to gently caress right off and die seems a bit of an overreaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

freebooter posted:

Also the purpose of lists like that are generally to encourage people read fewer white men and bring attention to minority writers, so telling someone to gently caress right off and die seems a bit of an overreaction.

Yeah it sucks that they were misgendered, but the intent behind it seems good. I bet if the creators were contacted they'd update it correctly, I am pretty sure they didn't intentionally misgender them.

e:

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a bit confusing as Foz Meadows still uses she/her pronouns...? Right. I'm not an authority, I suck at gender. Meadows probably shouldn't be on that list, but it's still worthwhile to look at, as it has a lot of good authors on it and I don't want us to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

According to twitter they are a "Jack of all pronouns, master of none", which I am a huge fan of as a description.