Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm less afraid of catching it than just being homeless from losing months of work. I can't work from home and today they said this-

quote:

On Monday, MTA Chairman Pat Foye was even more explicit at a press conference to discuss the agency's coronavirus response: "If you don't need to take the subway, don't do it.”

It's only a matter of time before they start pulling permits and then all my industry gets screwed union or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

At a restaurant i pick up from the manager forces the customers to wash their hands before coming in. he's got little disinfectant dispensers on the walls beside the door.

It's a good idea but saw a few people get annoyed about having to be clean

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 9, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Have you heard that people have started panic buying delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm)? I am heading to my local store right now to buy several packs of delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm) right now, before there's a shortage of delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm)

i hadn't thought about how thirsty i was for a delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm) until you mentioned it three times but now i can't bear the thought of one more minute in quarantine without a delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm) passing through my lips and sweeping the 2019-nCoV virus down my esophageal tract. delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Stop posting hand wash songs or get the spurt.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I went to Rome and Amsterdam the last couple of weeks. I'm feeling great, but my girlfriend (who stayed at home both trips) just got a fever. She's gonna be pissed if I gave her the virus.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Burt Sexual posted:

Stop posting hand wash songs or get the spurt.

Incidentally the Burt Spurt is also a playful name for one symptom of the virus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bardeh posted:

VIRAL plumes in your eye, lots of old people die, that's The Roni

sorry it needed another syllable now it's perfect

Lolie posted:

How seriously are students taking the "wash your hands, don't touch your face" message? Whether or not people actually follow that advice will have a huge impact on how this plays out.

America is NOT going to escape this outbreak due to the superior hygiene practices of it's citizens, let's put it like that

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw some article in the last couple of months that the old standard of 98.6 is probably no longer accurate, as people have changed in the last century-plus since that was set as the standard temperature

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/human-body-temperature-getting-cooler-study-finds-180974006/

so we're less hot than our forebearers.... that's sad, what is the human race coming to

Icept posted:

Dead man walking... posting?

dead man making GBS threads

Google Butt posted:

Done. I can't wait to spray my butt dude

:yeah:

friendly 2 da void posted:

all the "boomer flu" ppl need to read this bit a few more times

This doesn't change the actual numbers which say that young healthy people dying from this is exceedingly rare

vaguely reminiscent of that dude headbanging in the street during a hurricane

ufarn posted:

so everyone's going to be petting the dog

plague dog. hate to see it

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's that 'roni man, everyone's getting it.

alright i get it I gotta kill some ronis and get a vaccine or some poo poo, give me the loving quest already

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

12:15 p.m. The first patient with coronavirus in New Jersey spoke out to CBS New York. James Cai, a 32-year-old physician's assistant with residences in Manhattan and Fort Lee, said he was not a smoker and has no underlying health conditions. He believed that he got it while attending a medical conference at the Times Square Westin.

In the interview, Cai said, "The virus is everything. Diarrhea, watery eyes, shortness of breath, chest pain, you name it. High fever. Every day is getting worse."

He added, "People have to take coronavirus seriously. It’s very serious."

bro, chest pain and diarrhea at the same time is just plain hosed up.

just like "please lord let my heart not explode and they find me on this toiletbidet"

Play posted:

vaguely reminiscent of that dude headbanging in the street during a hurricane

I couldn't decide if the caption should have been "NYAHHHH!" or *highlander theme starts*

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are we culling dogs yet?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pretty good video on why these Chinese wet markets are such awful places for the incubation of disease, especially cross-species disease, also goes into how these markets came to exist. Honestly if China doesn't put a stop to this or at least attempt regulation (or just separation... if different animals weren't being kept in the same place the problem would be minimized) this will happen again within a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Leave the dogs alone, cull people

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Leave the dogs alone, cull people

Just crossbreed people with bats, problem solved

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did Thanos snap apply to wildlife? What about plants? Plants use resources too. I didn't see anyone in Endgame complain about their pets or garden getting wrecked.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Shaocaholica posted:

Did Thanos snap apply to wildlife? What about plants? Plants use resources too. I didn't see anyone in Endgame complain about their pets or garden getting wrecked.

If this hits 50% mortality rate then we can officially call it the thanos flu ya nerd

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't want to die from Coronavirus. I am curious how it ends.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Iirc China shut down the wet markets for good

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tei posted:

I don't want to die from Coronavirus. I am curious how it ends.

We have to send Elon Musk back in time.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

During Monday's call, Messonnier turned most of her attention to older individuals, or those over 60, which are the most vulnerable to developing serious complications from the respiratory disease.

She said that those who have family members, friends or neighbors in that age range should understand their role in protecting them. "My parents are in their 80s," she said. "I’ve asked them to stick close to home."

you're all assigned (1) senior citizen

do not lose your assigned senior citizen

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Wet market sounds like cyberpunk poo poo where I can buy eyes and stuff.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mike12345 posted:

cybervirus 2020 confirmed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mike12345 posted:

that or a place to get jerked off

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mike12345 posted:

'sounds like'?

sleez
Jan 11, 2020

Whe the laughing is over, people like you cry.

Bardeh posted:

can anyone who knows stuff about things translate the mumbo jumbo in this thread? it looks interesting but it makes no sense to me

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1236445813095542784

Those are new clinical guidelines and blood markers of the SARS-CoV-2 infection.
1) People who had the infection (you test this by isolatung virus DNA/RNa from a sample for a test called PCR) and have had a blood test done had IgM/IgG in it. Those are two types of antibodies (antibodies are produced by the slower, more targeted part of our immune system called the adaptive immune system, which is made up of B-cells and T-cells) and they mark a pathogen (like a virus-infected cell), causing those pathogens to clog, be destroyed by cells or the complement, a part of our innate immune system. IgM ususlly appears pretty early on during an infection and later recedes, while IgG is a sign of immunity/a bygone infection. So they can be viewed as progressional markers.
2) See above explanation
3) Don't quite understand what she means, though it seems the level of IgG is quite high in those who've been infected, who knows what the ramifications of that are (potential immunity?)
4) ECMO = extracorporal membrane oxygenation, meaning as system with which the blood of patients with lung failure can be directly oxygenated.
Basically, FiO2 is the amount of oxygen within the air that is inhaled. As we might remember from physics class the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere is 21% or 0.21, so that's a guideline saying the FiO2 in inspiratory air should be cranked up to 90% or more
5) CRRT: Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy; we know that kidney failure as well as pulmonary failure are some of the worst symptoms, so that patients who are particularly ill should be hooked up to something like a dialysis, a machine that does the kidneys' job, namely filtering blood, for you. Kind of like the ECMO for the kidneys and vice versa
6) People who have very big lung problems and hightened levels of IL-6 (or Interleukin-6, a cytokine of the immune system. These are sort of the messenger signals of the immune system; all sorts of immune cells secrete these in order to call on new cells, like natural killer cells etc. IL-6 is involved in diseases lile rheumatoid arthritis; it's because of an over-abundance of IL-6 that inflammation and the typical rheumatoid symptoms of joint pain etc. are caused) should get Tocilizumab. Tocilizumab is a monoklonal antibody (remember antibodies? Essentially this is an antibody that was specifically bread within a mouse by exposing it to a specific pathogen or in this case, IL-6 receptor, and later extracting it. It's then modified to the extent that it's almost entirely like a human antibody so as not to have too many adverse side effects.) It can now bind to the IL-6 receptor and make IL-6 useless
6) I think she means this antibody can't prevent infection, it merely tames the cytokine storm. This is when there's an extreme, overwehlming cytokine response causing a life-threatening shutdown of the body (this can sometimes happen in organ transplantation); also people with heightened ALT/AST, so essentially people with a poo poo liver, people with fungal infections (a bit redundant, since these people usually only get these when they're immunocompromised anyway) and active tuberculosis (same thing, these people's immune systems are under a large amount of stress) shouldn't get the medication.
7) IVIG or intravenous Immunoglobulins is basically a technique where you put antibodies into the blood of people who don't have them or who don't have the right ones (like with a primary immunodeficiency where part of the immune system is missing).

sleez fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just realized we're all going to die before cyberpunk comes out now, and I'm pretty bummed about it

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

poverty goat posted:

Just realized we're all going to die before cyberpunk comes out now, and I'm pretty bummed about it

if it didn't get pushed back it almost would have lined up nicely for all the quarantine we're gonna be doing

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Had an entire family of 4 on the flight London to Munich wearing N95 masks. Looking all paranoid at the departure Gate. Well the father as wearing it I've this beard, the son grabbed under his maks to adjust it, the daughter had a visible gap all around it, in the plane they entered with maks dangling down, at the arrival gate they all had them down of course because epassport, then they all put them back on then stood right in front of the washrooms but opted to rub disinfectant on their hands, also adjusting the same mask all over.

But if it makes them feel better I guess.
If only these people didn't waste masks that medical personal really need..

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Some producer or studio head said in an interview that it was all forms of life.

Which would be dumb because that wouldn't solve any food shortage issues.

But the whole plan was dumb because it would take less than 50 years for the human population to double again and you'd be right back where you started.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Monowhatever posted:

if it didn't get pushed back it almost would have lined up nicely for all the quarantine we're gonna be doing

Still got Doom Eternal and the RE3 Remake for that.

Assuming we all survive long enough...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hopper posted:

If only these people didn't waste masks that medical personal really need..

Well I see of a lot of people using contractor masks like for painting or sanding so those at least aren't being diverted from the medical sector. But contractors are seeing shortages for that kind of work.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Italy started the day with a few hundred less cases than S Korea and now they have 2000 more.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2020

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Have you heard that people have started panic buying delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm)? I am heading to my local store right now to buy several packs of delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm) right now, before there's a shortage of delicious ice cold Coca-Cola (tm)

I've heard a lot of people have been stocking up on succulent Kentucky Fried Chicken; the colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices makes it perfect for a viral quarantine emergency.

Again that's Kentucky Fried Chicken, my favorite food and thing in life quite frankly. Nobody makes it like kfc.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The whole ecosystem of stupid arguments about masks is exhausting. In a perfect world, there would be enough of them for everyone, everyone would wear them correctly, and it would make a huge difference. Saying that they're ineffective is like saying condoms are ineffective, because neither of them gets you to 100%, but of course 40% or 60% or 90% effectiveness is a big improvement over zero. If you parrot the doublethink argument that people shouldn't wear them because they don't work and because doctors need them and that makes sense to you you are probably mentally ill.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 9, 2020

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

quote:

A top party official in Wuhan is experiencing a backlash after calling for "gratitude education" so that Chinese citizens could properly thank the Communist party for its efforts battling the coronavirus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-wuhan-official-gratitude-education-citizens-thank-government-2020-3

:lol:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A second student has hit the school district. Watching the press conference, they’re shutting the entire district down for two weeks, and spring break is immediately after.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Masks do work if you use them correctly, less if you use them incorrectly. But please a flight from Munich to London? Neither of these is a hotzone yet and if you keep distance from other people at the airport, wash your hands and keep aware that should be enough at this point.

If you are on a long distance flight from seattle to Milan or the other way round, then you had better wear a mask correctly or incorrectly or actually should never have gone on that flight if you can somehow avoid it.

I am not saying it is "just the flu" but there's reasonable and there's overdoing it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

devmd01 posted:

A second student has hit the school district. Watching the press conference, they’re shutting the entire district down for two weeks, and spring break is immediately after.

I wonder how kids will react to this. The infected guy will be everyone hero, but also nobody will want to be near him or in the same building for years.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buying 1 or 2 masks for everyone in your household seems fine to me. Buying 100 masks for everyone is not.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, the official position of the Uk government is: "Yeah, we're going to wait until things get real bad before we bring any measures in, 'cos :effort:".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Hope i'm not the 30% that needs intensive care. I'm 32 years old and don't have any diabetus, heart problems, etc. that I know of. But I am american so it's only a matter of time before the sugars get me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Ah, I see the UK government is also taking the ''business numbers going down is worse than people dying" policy approach.